Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747477 times)

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4440 on: August 13, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Second session on AF1’s, the clicking just started.
Does it go away of do I have to fix it?
[close]

Yeah mine went away after a few sessions
Pretty much went away during the session

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #4441 on: August 13, 2021, 11:05:24 AM »
What's the best hard/medium bushing for AF1s. Like the Indy black and the indy blue equivalent

Still trying to find this out myself... Ace made some comment on instagram recently that harder bushings will be available soon. I'm using a Krux bottom barrel and stock top ace on my AF1 and its been way better than their squishy bottom that comes stock.

gabbesucks

« Reply #4442 on: August 14, 2021, 08:40:40 AM »
Anyone else shredding their pivot cups from doing slappies? (Not using washers)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4443 on: August 14, 2021, 07:18:15 PM »

Yes. Classics and AF1s. It’s just how it goes with Aces.

I just keep going until the situation is dire enough for the pivot cup bushings to need a replacement and then repeat until the trucks are dead.

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #4444 on: August 14, 2021, 08:30:12 PM »

idk about shredding but mine are melting. barely even a total week of skating

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4445 on: August 14, 2021, 08:30:43 PM »
Expand Quote
What's the best hard/medium bushing for AF1s. Like the Indy black and the indy blue equivalent
[close]

Still trying to find this out myself... Ace made some comment on instagram recently that harder bushings will be available soon. I'm using a Krux bottom barrel and stock top ace on my AF1 and its been way better than their squishy bottom that comes stock.

Just buy the Indy bushings. The bottom are 1mm different and you can sand or cut the top to match. If you really wanna be anal about the swap, get a slightly thicker bottom washer from a hardware store or put a few plastic shims between the bushing and washer to preserve the geo.

But honestly if you’re doing that just ride Indy’s. Ace’s tight makes little sense.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4446 on: August 14, 2021, 08:34:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just keep going until the situation is dire enough for the pivot cup bushings to need a replacement and then repeat until the trucks are dead.
My front truck pivot cup is liquefying. I’ve done a lot of damage to gear and had some weird things happen, but I’ve never had a pivot cup melt away before. That’s a first for me. I haven’t been doing slappies either
fuck you bama

scavenger

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4447 on: August 14, 2021, 11:10:23 PM »
Re: AF1s and clicking: I had this. Took the hangar off, waxed the top and bottom of the hangar where the bushings sit, waxed the bushings themselves, put a bit of wax in the pivot cups for good measure, haven't heard any clicking since. Was it the wax, or some side effect of taking them apart/putting them back together? We may never know.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4448 on: August 14, 2021, 11:26:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
My front truck pivot cup is liquefying. I’ve done a lot of damage to gear and had some weird things happen, but I’ve never had a pivot cup melt away before. That’s a first for me. I haven’t been doing slappies either

Pretty common with AF1’s at least among a few friends that have tried them and this thread. They’re a weird gummy consistency. Mine blew out 2nd session and I got replacements and they still click and I’m now skeptical of using them.

Anyone want some barely used 44 DM me

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4449 on: August 15, 2021, 08:32:33 AM »
I’m an Ace Pilot™️, but I can’t believe the crap people are putting up with to skate these trucks. Maybe they’ll have it all fixed in another year or two with a V2, but there is nothing in this thread which would make me want to swap out my Indys or Ace Classic 44s for the AF1s.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4450 on: August 15, 2021, 11:18:24 AM »
How many ace pilots actually ride the af1s? I needed no fixing at all, the clicking was there for a bit but that aside, everything works just great. Might as well swap the classics back for some time since Idon't remember how they felt.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #4451 on: August 15, 2021, 01:31:28 PM »
How many ace pilots actually ride the af1s? I needed no fixing at all, the clicking was there for a bit but that aside, everything works just great. Might as well swap the classics back for some time since Idon't remember how they felt.
So far I love mine. Had to adjust a little to the softer bushings and clicking, but new trucks are ALWAYS a hassle. Some adjustment is expected.

gri

• Rep: 18
  • papauueueppe
« Reply #4452 on: August 16, 2021, 01:31:48 AM »
Felt compelled to comment here on my experience with the AF1 55s I have been skating for the last 4 months. Let me foreground this by saying I have never owned Ace classics before, and have for the last 5 years been exclusively thunder 151s and 149s (loose with risers), so my judgement is based only on this comparison and maybe this might help some looking at a switch with no prior experience with aces. Was always keen to try a pair of classics but couldn't jive with the sizes as I ride 8.5 - 8.75 boards. FYI I am mainly skating street and haven't had a good opportunity in transition with them.

These are well made trucks, the QC exceeds the last pair of Thunders I had and I have had no issues with the pivot cups as commonly reported and I do a shit ton of noseslides and crooks for that matter. Slides on the nose and tail felt immediately faster and longer due the extended baseplate. One downside for me coming from thunders though slides don't feel as securely locked in, and the baseplate is pretty chewed up already. They grind normally on everything but feel especially good on concrete.

I ride them a bit looser than factory and was honestly surprised at how stable they were coming from my thunders. I have also started riding smaller wheelbase decks than I usually would with these trucks, and am really feeling the benefits in terms of maneuverability. Flatground feels good for this reason and the pop feel when combined with a steep deck is really nice, but doesn't quite have that kind of delayed heft my thunders give. They are heavy though, and I think if i was still on longer wheelbases this may be more difficult to manage, but on 14.25 - 14.5 they feel quite responsive.

Although I haven't started slaloming around the park, the turn is definitively more of a carve than a twitch like thunders, it is different, not necessarily better or worse. I feel like I had my thunders pretty dialed in turns of turn anyway. I am around 180lbs, 6'3 with size 14 clompers and am usually running 54-56 wheels when they are fresh. I don't use risers with them and get wheelbite but it is not as severe, in terms of getting thrown off the board as I would with thunders.

All in all I like them, and will keep riding because they seem to get better with age, or I am just getting more accustomed to them as you would with any truck.

This pretty much sums up my experience as well. I really like them.so far.

However, there is one thing that I struggle with: fs smith grinds and fs feeble grinds on transition became impossible as I always lock in on the kingpin. that sound kills me.

Anyone else having problems with that or know how to fix it?
shout out birds

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4453 on: August 17, 2021, 01:54:26 PM »
All right, had my third session on my AF1 55’s, and I must say they really start to feel like ace trucks now :) The bushings are starting to firm up. The turn feels sharp, accurate and carvy, while still having that stable platform in the middle, just like the classics. They may feel slightly different from my old classics, but those were 9” while my current ones are 8.5”, so that might not be the best comparison.

I’m not gonna lie, when I just got them they felt extremely loose… I was getting loads of wheelbite, and I was really missing the stable center that the classics had. Initially, they felt more like indy’s to me, but I’m really happy with them now :)

For anyone getting the AF1’s and not feeling quite satisfied after the first few hours, just get through the first few sessions and they will really start to feel like true aces :)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4454 on: August 17, 2021, 03:14:40 PM »
I'm breaking in some AF1 55s right now also and share your thoughts @mvdbosch90

Took a bit to get used to but now I'm really digging them. Grinding great on metal and concrete now they are broken in also. No issues with pivot cups yet.

can't wait for some Af1 8.75" axles.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4455 on: August 19, 2021, 10:16:00 PM »
I emailed ACE to see if the issues I was having on a brand new set of AF1’s were normal. This thread is 150 pages long, so there’s a bunch of stuff I missed. They replied back within a couple hours. Within a couple of days a replacement set of trucks showed up at my doorstep. I really like the way the trucks skate, but I also really like their customer service and the people that work there
fuck you bama

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #4456 on: August 20, 2021, 06:43:52 AM »
Buddy of mine works at a shop and got a text from a rep with a sneak peak of a bunch of AF1 baseplates in both hi and lo with hollow kingpins. He couldn't confirm if they'll have hollow axles though.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4457 on: August 20, 2021, 06:47:17 AM »
Buddy of mine works at a shop and got a text from a rep with a sneak peak of a bunch of AF1 baseplates in both hi and lo with hollow kingpins. He couldn't confirm if they'll have hollow axles though.

So are they selling baseplates with hollow king pins separate or are they gonna be for a different version of the af1

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #4458 on: August 20, 2021, 09:11:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So are they selling baseplates with hollow king pins separate or are they gonna be for a different version of the af1

No idea. That's the only info the rep provided was the sneak peek photo.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4459 on: August 20, 2021, 09:52:39 AM »
8.75" axle talk only.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4460 on: August 21, 2021, 02:48:52 AM »
Just chiming in to say I bought a set of 55 classics again after being on the Af1 55s for a few weeks. They feel great, making me think there really isn’t much difference between the two, though they are a completely different size. To be honest I’m liking them more than my old 55 classics and that might be because I actually don’t like the AF1s enough. Older bushing/pivot cup feel nicer IMO.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #4461 on: August 21, 2021, 11:28:24 AM »
Welp my pivot cups got shredded after about a month of skating em regularly. Will Indy pivot cups work as a replacement? What have other ppl used besides riptides?

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #4462 on: August 21, 2021, 11:58:26 AM »
Referring to one’s self as an “ace pilot” gives me second hand embarrassment. You fools are basing your personality around a skateboard truck. With that said, thunder gang 4 lyfe
big texas cummer

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4463 on: August 21, 2021, 05:15:06 PM »
Referring to one’s self as an “ace pilot” gives me second hand embarrassment. You fools are basing your personality around a skateboard truck. With that said, thunder gang 4 lyfe
you clearly have know control
i agree with the "pilot" bit but wrong thread for slander
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #4464 on: August 23, 2021, 10:19:08 AM »
I got word from a reliable source that AF1 Hollow Axle Hollow Kingpin are coming Spring 2022

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4465 on: August 23, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
Welp my pivot cups got shredded after about a month of skating em regularly. Will Indy pivot cups work as a replacement? What have other ppl used besides riptides?

Riptide sells the same pivot cup for both Ace and Indy, so one can presume that they are also interchangeable if they’re from Indy.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4466 on: August 23, 2021, 11:50:51 AM »
A lighter AF1 with fixed pivot cups would be sick.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #4467 on: August 23, 2021, 06:26:40 PM »
I got word from a reliable source that AF1 Hollow Axle Hollow Kingpin are coming Spring 2022

Really wish they would make a hollow version of the classics

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4468 on: August 23, 2021, 07:18:53 PM »
They sold the AF1s at almost light or hollow prices so I wonder how much the hollows will be? My dumb ass will probably get them though.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4469 on: August 25, 2021, 05:01:03 AM »
So i liked the aces af1s so much that my cruiser fast became my main board. But i've now realised 9" trucks & board is pretty hard to flip.

My regular board is a 8.75 and thinking about what truck size Will fit it best.. af 55 with double Speed rings or 66 without rings, i think i've read here that u can run af1s without Speed rings?