Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747517 times)

nevrwasben

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5040 on: January 28, 2022, 02:44:09 PM »
One more vote for stock bushings. Might take a few sessions to break in, but after they do, they really are great
TRUE
I came from riding Thunders for over a decade on hard bushings and was pleasantly surprised I didn’t need to do anything to my Aces to make them feel good.

braksabbath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #5041 on: January 28, 2022, 02:50:20 PM »

Stock bushings for sure.
 2.25” inverted kingpin from the hardware store lets you get extra loose without shakiness or  worrying about thread count. Have to drill out some wood to get the truck flush so the end of the bolt doesn’t touch. $1.40 at the hardware store, don’t need to carry an allen key like the Krux kit.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5042 on: January 28, 2022, 03:18:18 PM »
just setup some classics for the first time... hanger blocks the kingpin nut from being tightened by a tool. am i an idiot or are these trucks fucked up? going to need a wrench to tighten them.

Not sure if there is an issue or not with those specific trucks as other sets I have had worked with a normal skate tool.

In saying that I found it was good to have a combo / ring spanner 9/16 size around which did fit better on some Thunder and Venture trucks over the years.

Ebay had them really cheap so I bought half a dozen to have in the shop (as they often go missing) but also for friends who I knew had trucks that had issues like that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5043 on: January 29, 2022, 12:13:20 PM »

I carry the sk8ology carabiner for this reason…but also have proper tools at home.

Expand Quote
just setup some classics for the first time... hanger blocks the kingpin nut from being tightened by a tool. am i an idiot or are these trucks fucked up? going to need a wrench to tighten them.
[close]

Not sure if there is an issue or not with those specific trucks as other sets I have had worked with a normal skate tool.

In saying that I found it was good to have a combo / ring spanner 9/16 size around which did fit better on some Thunder and Venture trucks over the years.

Ebay had them really cheap so I bought half a dozen to have in the shop (as they often go missing) but also for friends who I knew had trucks that had issues like that.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:10:48 PM by Xen »

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #5044 on: January 29, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I carry the sk8ology carabiner for this reason…but also have proper tools at home.

This happens to me whenever I remove the washers or change to bones bushings. I usually have this tool with me that came in a Skateboard Mag 15 years ago.

Mine is not as scary looking

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5045 on: January 29, 2022, 04:58:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This happens to me whenever I remove the washers or change to bones bushings. I usually have this tool with me that came in a Skateboard Mag 15 years ago.

I liked the marketing on those tools.

Fits in a wallet (or pocket) and covers kingpin, axle and deck bolt nuts as well as a bottle opener.

Always a bottle opener, even though I don't think I have ever used it for that, I know a lot of other people have.

* Oh and grip blade on the lower side too?  The other ones had a file part I think.

goathead

• Rep: -5
« Reply #5046 on: January 30, 2022, 06:48:15 AM »
Three sessions with my new AF-1 55 Aces after skating 159 Hollow Indys for almost two years. Gotta say I can't complain, feels great! I've had classic Aces before and also liked those, hard to compare because of the one pair of Indys in between.

Only thing that I'm getting sick of is this clicking sound when I turn. Does anyone else have it? Any solutions?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5047 on: January 30, 2022, 07:42:56 AM »
The trucks clicking will usually go away as the trucks break in. Give 'em a good thrashing.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #5048 on: January 30, 2022, 08:01:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fits in a wallet (or pocket) and covers kingpin, axle and deck bolt nuts as well as a bottle opener.

Always a bottle opener, even though I don't think I have ever used it for that, I know a lot of other people have.

* Oh and grip blade on the lower side too?  The other ones had a file part I think.

hah I had the theeve one and that was about all I used it for

I forget which side it was but the tool use to cut my hand when I would tighten something

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #5049 on: January 30, 2022, 08:47:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

hah I had the theeve one and that was about all I used it for

I forget which side it was but the tool use to cut my hand when I would tighten something

I have the Theeve one too!
Bought off a sale and decided it was a great idea to set up a whole board with them. I’m an idiot and learned quickly that it’s better for just adjusting.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5050 on: January 30, 2022, 04:50:52 PM »
Three sessions with my new AF-1 55 Aces after skating 159 Hollow Indys for almost two years. Gotta say I can't complain, feels great! I've had classic Aces before and also liked those, hard to compare because of the one pair of Indys in between.

Only thing that I'm getting sick of is this clicking sound when I turn. Does anyone else have it? Any solutions?

It is almost always the bottom bushing washer moving, side to side as the trucks turn and puts more pressure on one side or the other, but can also happen on the top bushing washer too.

If nothing else, a little tape round the base of the kingpin has been known to work, but I think the more common thing I used was some blu tack / other sticky substance under the bottom washer and the baseplate, which seemed to work well.

As has been said, the clicking usually goes away within a few sessions, but it also depends on how tight or loose you have your trucks, which will generate movement too.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #5051 on: January 31, 2022, 11:40:11 AM »
So now that the AF-1 and Classics have been out a while, what are the main differences?

This is what I found so far:

Classics: Softer metal, slower grind, less durable, +2.75 WB

AF-1: Harder metal, faster grind, more durable, +2.875 WB

Missing anything?

Definitely a way smoother grind on the AF1's, felt like heaven on handrails and made ledge/hubba front smiths much more buttery in my experience.

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #5052 on: January 31, 2022, 04:15:34 PM »
Am I just over thinking this or is the instability of riding AF1s on 14 to 14.25 wb giving me serious lower back pain?

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #5053 on: January 31, 2022, 11:43:36 PM »
Am I just over thinking this or is the instability of riding AF1s on 14 to 14.25 wb giving me serious lower back pain?

I cant be the only one who noticed a lot of ace pros have a strange hunchback stance on the board

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5054 on: February 01, 2022, 12:13:37 AM »
^Very noticeable in Its Our Turn or whatever that was called. Deedz skates facing completely forward. Leo Baker's back leg looked so fucked

Does anybody run their Aces a little tight? I ran my 55s factory looseness for a month or so and then cranked them just to see, and I can still turn deep as shit but they stay in center really easy. I 3 shoved my Dane 1 the other day!!! I am like 225-230lbs right now so maybe I'm just lucky
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5055 on: February 01, 2022, 01:28:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It is almost always the bottom bushing washer moving, side to side as the trucks turn and puts more pressure on one side or the other, but can also happen on the top bushing washer too.

If nothing else, a little tape round the base of the kingpin has been known to work, but I think the more common thing I used was some blu tack / other sticky substance under the bottom washer and the baseplate, which seemed to work well.

As has been said, the clicking usually goes away within a few sessions, but it also depends on how tight or loose you have your trucks, which will generate movement too.

My trucks clicked couple times when they were new but broken in, never had that clicking return after that and it's been well over six months.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5056 on: February 01, 2022, 05:23:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My trucks clicked couple times when they were new but broken in, never had that clicking return after that and it's been well over six months.

Same for mine, which are still fairly loose overall.

I do recall others having more issues with tighter trucks though, so not sure if that is a thing.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #5057 on: February 06, 2022, 07:42:59 PM »
Has anyone tried the ace 00(bonus points compared to indy 109)? im trying to make a ridiculously surfy cruiser, and probably going to throw them on a 12" wheelbase deck or something

IpathCats

« Reply #5058 on: February 07, 2022, 04:20:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I cant be the only one who noticed a lot of ace pros have a strange hunchback stance on the board

I've mentioned it before, somewhere in this thread. I get serious pains/cramps in my groin when I skate aces on anything under 14.5. I've got pretty long legs, I assume that's why. I point out the ace stance to people and they don't believe me. Glad I'm not alone.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #5059 on: February 07, 2022, 12:40:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've mentioned it before, somewhere in this thread. I get serious pains/cramps in my groin when I skate aces on anything under 14.5. I've got pretty long legs, I assume that's why. I point out the ace stance to people and they don't believe me. Glad I'm not alone.
Whoa. I’ve definitely been having more hip pains recently, but just equated it to age.

lukepat

• Rep: 7
« Reply #5060 on: February 08, 2022, 07:22:03 AM »
Not sure if anyone saw Ace’s IG post… Looking like they are about to introduce a hollow kingpin version AF1?

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 114
« Reply #5061 on: February 08, 2022, 08:20:38 AM »
Not sure if anyone saw Ace’s IG post… Looking like they are about to introduce a hollow kingpin version AF1?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZuBsjoA2FA/
Enjoy your life.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #5062 on: February 08, 2022, 08:24:04 AM »
if some of you guys actually think that back/hip pain is attributed to Ace Trucks, you should probably buy some different trucks.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5063 on: February 08, 2022, 08:54:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So hollow kingpin only?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5064 on: February 08, 2022, 09:00:23 AM »
I rotate between Ace, Thunder, and Indy regularly.
I experience back/hip pain with all three.
I don’t know y’all but, personally, I attribute it to being an old more than any equipment I’m riding.
But hey… Tha’s jus’ me.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #5065 on: February 08, 2022, 09:13:17 AM »
I don’t know y’all but, personally, I attribute it to being an old more than any equipment I’m riding.
But hey… Tha’s jus’ me.
Haha. Me too. But hearing that after my hips have been noticeably more sore after sessions was interesting. But, I'm also older every time I go skate.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5066 on: February 08, 2022, 09:15:16 AM »
Expand Quote
But hey… Tha’s jus’ me.
[close]
Haha. Me too. But hearing that after my hips have been noticeably more sore after sessions was interesting. But, I'm also older every time I go skate.
Your username checks out, BTW.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #5067 on: February 10, 2022, 10:08:58 AM »
What bushing would work in ace trucks when somebody wants to ride pretty tight trucks ?

I saw there’s hard ace bushings, but can’t find them in Europe.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5068 on: February 10, 2022, 10:27:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So hollow kingpin only?

instatizio_ltp
@acetrucks but are we talking about kingpin hollows or "everything" hollows? 🤔 55 af1 hollows would be the ultimate truck

acetrucks
@instatizio_ltp We talkin bout everything.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5069 on: February 10, 2022, 11:42:29 AM »
But, I'm also older every time I go skate.

Truth.