Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747519 times)

dirtjers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5100 on: March 12, 2022, 12:18:15 PM »
Recently needed new trucks, and on a whim decided that Ace was the only main brand I'd never really tried and it was probably time. I got the classic 44's with the hard Ace bushings and I'm really liking them so far!

I had been riding FA/Hockey 8.38's with titanium Indy's for 2+ years, and that combo was pretty damn perfect. Unfortunately that deck shape didn't go so well with the Aces though - my pop felt way off and it seemed way harder to get up onto ledges, especially nollie. Currently riding an 8.5 Hockey, which is better with the longer wheelbase etc, and it's feeling better, but was wondering if there was a more ideal shape out there. I like a steep pop, and I've been on FA/Hockey for so long my other board brand knowledge is at square one these days. What do you guys think works real well?

I'm guessing the goal is shorter/steeper nose/tails with longer wheelbase? The Polar P2 seemed interesting but I've never seen one in real life.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5101 on: March 12, 2022, 04:19:26 PM »
Ace low wheelbase? Anybody knows?

+3 in. (a little over 75mm), measured on a set of 03s mounted to a black Classic Eagle.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #5102 on: March 12, 2022, 05:14:31 PM »
Recently needed new trucks, and on a whim decided that Ace was the only main brand I'd never really tried and it was probably time. I got the classic 44's with the hard Ace bushings and I'm really liking them so far!

I had been riding FA/Hockey 8.38's with titanium Indy's for 2+ years, and that combo was pretty damn perfect. Unfortunately that deck shape didn't go so well with the Aces though - my pop felt way off and it seemed way harder to get up onto ledges, especially nollie. Currently riding an 8.5 Hockey, which is better with the longer wheelbase etc, and it's feeling better, but was wondering if there was a more ideal shape out there. I like a steep pop, and I've been on FA/Hockey for so long my other board brand knowledge is at square one these days. What do you guys think works real well?

I'm guessing the goal is shorter/steeper nose/tails with longer wheelbase? The Polar P2 seemed interesting but I've never seen one in real life.

My best Ace setups have been on 14.5 WB on moderate to steep concave. Carpet decks, Heroin. Super quick response and quick pop.
I had a Scumco PS stix setup with a 14.75 WB that felt good too. It felt better in ramp/ bowl situations. Not quick feeling but surfy.
I’m sure this hasn’t helped at all.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5103 on: March 12, 2022, 05:30:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My best Ace setups have been on 14.5 WB on moderate to steep concave. Carpet decks, Heroin. Super quick response and quick pop.
I had a Scumco PS stix setup with a 14.75 WB that felt good too. It felt better in ramp/ bowl situations. Not quick feeling but surfy.

Santa Cruz / Creature 8.375x32 with "medium concave" (which feels on the steeper side)  and a 14.5 wheelbase with 6.514" tail.  It has a nice full nose.  Good luck finding a decent graphic - but it is a great shape with Ace.

https://www.tactics.com/creature/santa-cruz/skateboard-decks/ra-17433/rs-8.375

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #5104 on: March 12, 2022, 07:00:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Santa Cruz / Creature 8.375x32 with "medium concave" (which feels on the steeper side)  and a 14.5 wheelbase with 6.514" tail.  It has a nice full nose.  Good luck finding a decent graphic - but it is a great shape with Ace.

https://www.tactics.com/creature/santa-cruz/skateboard-decks/ra-17433/rs-8.375

The best NHS shape. Doesn’t have the super tapered nose either…

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #5105 on: March 12, 2022, 07:33:33 PM »
I love Aces on a standard South Central 8.5 (DOA, Politic, etc.)  I've run classic 44s and 55s on those decks over the past few years.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5106 on: March 12, 2022, 08:33:53 PM »
I love Aces on a standard South Central 8.5 (DOA, Politic, etc.)  I've run classic 44s and 55s on those decks over the past few years.

Same, Aces are great on SC and also the steep Oennswood concave. Had a nice steep Real deck that felt good on Aces too. I always found the pop kind of anemic on Aces when the deck is more mellow.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #5107 on: March 13, 2022, 12:45:19 PM »
You could try cutting down the cone bushing to get looser without the nut falling off

TerrorizedCivilian

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5108 on: March 13, 2022, 12:58:44 PM »
You could try cutting down the cone bushing to get looser without the nut falling off

May have to give that a try as i do find the af1 bushings way longer than a thunder or indy where i could get rattling in the way that i like much easier without the kingpin nut falling off.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #5109 on: March 13, 2022, 03:57:37 PM »
I’m about to bite the bullet and buy a set of classic 44s due to me not being able to get my af1s loose enough to my liking (i like my trucks with a unstable centre point, or a bit of shake), I’ve tried different pivot cups, taking in and out washers and different bushings and when i do loosen them enough i get way too much wheelbite (even with risers). I’ve looked through here and come to the conclusion that classics would be more suited to me due to them having more of an ‘acey’ feeling, not as stable + having less wheelbite due to a different geometry, would this be correct? As im going through bad board madness right now and would need guidance hahah.

The difference between classics and AF1 turn isn’t that drastic. Maybe try the super soft white Independent bushings? Have you tried shaving down your top bushing?

TerrorizedCivilian

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5110 on: March 13, 2022, 04:42:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m about to bite the bullet and buy a set of classic 44s due to me not being able to get my af1s loose enough to my liking (i like my trucks with a unstable centre point, or a bit of shake), I’ve tried different pivot cups, taking in and out washers and different bushings and when i do loosen them enough i get way too much wheelbite (even with risers). I’ve looked through here and come to the conclusion that classics would be more suited to me due to them having more of an ‘acey’ feeling, not as stable + having less wheelbite due to a different geometry, would this be correct? As im going through bad board madness right now and would need guidance hahah.
[close]

The difference between classics and AF1 turn isn’t that drastic. Maybe try the super soft white Independent bushings? Have you tried shaving down your top bushing?

I’ve tried the regular indy bushings not the softs though, I’ll probably try shaving my bushings next, Im going down in board size so im not too bummed to try classics anyway, the biggest gripe i have with the af1s is wheelbite and I’ve heard the classics are a bit better for it, hopefully anyways.

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5111 on: March 13, 2022, 06:09:03 PM »
when are those hollow joints supposed to drop again?

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #5112 on: March 13, 2022, 08:13:15 PM »
dont think they have mentioned a date. i dmed them like a man and will edit this post if they reply

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5113 on: March 13, 2022, 08:44:49 PM »
Ace virgin here, have a pair of the Ace 03 that I'm thinking to try, dip my toes into the world of Ace before the new AF1 Low gets released.

Anyone got a review of the 03? They are listed as 53mm on the Ace website which seems off since Classic are 53mm. Thinking of rocking them on a 8.25, if you've done similar let me know.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #5114 on: March 14, 2022, 03:10:48 AM »
Ace virgin here, have a pair of the Ace 03 that I'm thinking to try, dip my toes into the world of Ace before the new AF1 Low gets released.

Anyone got a review of the 03? They are listed as 53mm on the Ace website which seems off since Classic are 53mm. Thinking of rocking them on a 8.25, if you've done similar let me know.

I got the 02 and its a nice low truck I skated them on a 7.875
And briefly on the heroin lil egg 7.9

the stock bushings are soft for a truck that low

The classic lows 02, 03 are 48mm high

The new ones AF1 low are 49mm high

The thing I've noticed with Ace classics is they feel off (to me anyway)
If a deck has too many fingers of flat on the kicks

Just my inexperienced observation ive only been messing with aces on and for a few months

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #5115 on: March 14, 2022, 03:22:20 AM »

Been rocking my 03’s on 8-8.12” boards, anything wider is too magic carpet for me.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5116 on: March 14, 2022, 07:08:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
dont think they have mentioned a date. i dmed them like a man and will edit this post if they reply

They were released late Feb in Australia and OCD shop has all of them in stock, but that is only the low version with the hollow kingpins so far.

I think delays in customs and other issues might be causing problems in USA and other places though.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/collections/ace-trucks

As much as they don't say "hollow kingpins" anywhere I can see, the low versions all have hollow kingpins in them.

Ace Low thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119999.0
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5117 on: March 14, 2022, 11:30:28 AM »
Forgive me, but I thought Ace were made in the USA so why would customs be an issue for the U.S.?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5118 on: March 14, 2022, 11:32:00 AM »
Ace is made in China

IpathCats

« Reply #5119 on: March 14, 2022, 12:10:51 PM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5120 on: March 14, 2022, 04:00:22 PM »
Forgive me, but I thought Ace were made in the USA so why would customs be an issue for the U.S.?

Maybe once upon a time there were the majority of truck brands being made in USA (as per many old sets of lots of brands all with USA under the baseplate), but of the more well known brands, maybe only Venture and Thunder are still poured at Ermico in SF and all other components manufactured / coming from elsewhere including axles, washers, some even saying baseplates, but I don't know how true that is.

With many of the newer brands, maybe from around 2000 on, their starting production was all in China right from go and I don't recall them ever being made in USA.

Happy to be told otherwise though, as it is often a bit of a secret it seems, but some people know all the details.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5121 on: March 14, 2022, 05:49:41 PM »
AFAIK Ace have always been made in China
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #5122 on: March 14, 2022, 06:33:36 PM »
Just chiming in to say I skated the AF1 55 for the first time the other day. Had a fantastic session.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5123 on: March 14, 2022, 07:24:42 PM »
Just chiming in to say I skated the AF1 55 for the first time the other day. Had a fantastic session.

what was your previous set?

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #5124 on: March 14, 2022, 08:49:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i've been skating thunder 149 for most of the last decade, but have been skating mostly indy 149 in the last 2-3 years. this is the first pair of ace since my first and only set that i skated around 08-09

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5125 on: March 14, 2022, 09:42:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i've been skating thunder 149 for most of the last decade, but have been skating mostly indy 149 in the last 2-3 years. this is the first pair of ace since my first and only set that i skated around 08-09

Love that ace turn, and being able to run big ass wheels with little to no wheelbite, so I can’t totally banish the ace, but…I cannot pop for shit on most setups with ace.
Right now I’m on thunder 149s, and really appreciate the pop and consistency. I skate flatground mostly. If I was on round walls it’d be right back to the ace.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5126 on: March 15, 2022, 11:36:13 AM »
Breaking news: My ace classics hangers fit on the the inverted royal baseplates

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5127 on: March 15, 2022, 12:05:30 PM »
Game is shook

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5128 on: March 15, 2022, 12:47:33 PM »
Not much  we didn't already know but cool little interview with Joey T about Ace.

https://www.vhsmag.com/voice-of-freedom/joey-tershay-en/

Ziaon

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5129 on: March 15, 2022, 12:49:35 PM »
I enjoy my Ace 44's.  Have them on a Welcome worm deck.