Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747484 times)

Underpressureflips

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5190 on: March 23, 2022, 11:25:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Titanium Thunders are mad light and feel much lighter than standard Aces despite the much longer wheelbase. I had a set of Ti 149s with forged plates. Such light pop that I just couldn’t get used to it. I don’t have such finesse. Not a Thunder fan otherwise either so got rid of them. Much happier with Ace.
[close]

Damn wtf really? I kinda want less weight for flip tricks. How do aces grind? I got mad grooves on ventures and they are still holding strong.
[close]

I would not suggest aces if you're worried about flip tricks. Especially if you like the way your ventures skate. Many people report a "floppy" feeling to their flip tricks on ace because of the light pop feel and short wheelbase. Thunders will retain a snappy pop feel, while being one of the lightest trucks.

Edit: look at the general types of guys on thunder vs ace, should give you an idea of what they're each best at.
[close]

This is why I'm making the switch back to Thunder, I love Ace but I know I'm not that guy.
I do love seeing alternatives to the norm though. You would think Jacopo Carozzi would skate Thunders with how tech he is but he absolutely crushes it on Ace.

Quit blaming your gear and go fucking skate bro

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5191 on: March 23, 2022, 11:33:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Titanium Thunders are mad light and feel much lighter than standard Aces despite the much longer wheelbase. I had a set of Ti 149s with forged plates. Such light pop that I just couldn’t get used to it. I don’t have such finesse. Not a Thunder fan otherwise either so got rid of them. Much happier with Ace.
[close]

Damn wtf really? I kinda want less weight for flip tricks. How do aces grind? I got mad grooves on ventures and they are still holding strong.
[close]

I would not suggest aces if you're worried about flip tricks. Especially if you like the way your ventures skate. Many people report a "floppy" feeling to their flip tricks on ace because of the light pop feel and short wheelbase. Thunders will retain a snappy pop feel, while being one of the lightest trucks.

Edit: look at the general types of guys on thunder vs ace, should give you an idea of what they're each best at.
[close]

This is why I'm making the switch back to Thunder, I love Ace but I know I'm not that guy.
I do love seeing alternatives to the norm though. You would think Jacopo Carozzi would skate Thunders with how tech he is but he absolutely crushes it on Ace.
[close]

A really good skateboarder will be a really good skateboarder on any truck.
[close]
I can attest, from experience, that a really mediocre skateboarder will be a really mediocre skateboarder on any truck, so you may well be onto something here.
Seriously, though: some of y’all don’t get used to a new set-up in a few minutes? I’m guessing it’s different once the really technical tricks gets added to the equation & maybe that’s where I’m having trouble relating (as a very basic skater) but I love trying the homies’ set-ups out, precisely because they ARE different than what I’m riding.
That’s actually how I wound up falling in love w/ Ace trucks in the first place (Thanks, Barker.)

This may not resonate with anyone here, but a famous cycling quote that I can't remember who to credit it with (and google didnt help) was "Eddy (Merckx, the greatest cyclist of all time still to this day) can win on my bike, but I can't win on his"
ok thanks

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5192 on: March 24, 2022, 01:29:17 PM »
Ordered a set of pivot cups and hard bushings for my AF1 44s and they feel great. Using the new hard barrel bushings with my older top bushings. I’ll post a pic later

What's the benefit of mixing soft and hard bottom bushings? I know Ace stock bushings are already mixed hardness, just forget the logic there...

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5193 on: March 24, 2022, 01:36:01 PM »
Also - after a year of skating AF1s I think my front pivot cup is blowing out, it seems to ride fine but i see a chunk of rubber rupturing out the side.

Never had this problem before, do replacing the pivot cups give your trucks that annoying "new truck feeling"?
Recommend replacing just the one, or both at the same time?
Or should I just ride this shit till my skating feels noticeably impacted?

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5194 on: March 24, 2022, 03:41:15 PM »
do all aces keep leaning to the side when they're new? i mean like if you lean to one side and step off, the trucks stay leaning in that direction.
i saw a post of someone with the exact same truck as mine having the same problem, and it got me wondering...
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5195 on: March 24, 2022, 04:13:58 PM »
Also - after a year of skating AF1s I think my front pivot cup is blowing out, it seems to ride fine but i see a chunk of rubber rupturing out the side.

Never had this problem before, do replacing the pivot cups give your trucks that annoying "new truck feeling"?
Recommend replacing just the one, or both at the same time?
Or should I just ride this shit till my skating feels noticeably impacted?

I'd keep riding em unless you feel something wrong. I noticed the same thing with some classics and when I went to replace the pivot cup the old one was totally fine, it was just that little bit on the top that was tearing off. I used Ace pivot cups and I didn't notice much of a different feel afterwards. If it's bugging you just swap em and it shouldn't be too disruptive.

Can't wait for these low 60s.  Trying to stay patient.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5196 on: March 24, 2022, 08:06:36 PM »
do all aces keep leaning to the side when they're new? i mean like if you lean to one side and step off, the trucks stay leaning in that direction.
i saw a post of someone with the exact same truck as mine having the same problem, and it got me wondering...

Most bushings on any brand truck will do this when new if not worn in first, especially if they are tightened down some before even rolling around.

Wear in time depends on the length of session, weight of rider, even differences in brand or quality of product too.

Sometimes just standing on the board before tightening or anything else when new and really putting a lot of heel to toe to heel to toe movement will make bushings a lot more responsive when you do adjust them to where you want them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5197 on: March 24, 2022, 10:44:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Ordered a set of pivot cups and hard bushings for my AF1 44s and they feel great. Using the new hard barrel bushings with my older top bushings. I’ll post a pic later
[close]

What's the benefit of mixing soft and hard bottom bushings? I know Ace stock bushings are already mixed hardness, just forget the logic there...
I think it helps to keep the initial rebound and looseness while being stiffer deeper into a turn, reducing wheel bite.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5198 on: March 25, 2022, 12:03:35 PM »
Is ace customer service as bad as their quality control?
Filed warranty claim, never heard back.
Wrote them on instagram, they assured me they're going to get back to me, and it still never happened.
Not in spam either. My 55 classics are hella bent now, without any impact whatsoever

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5199 on: March 25, 2022, 12:05:46 PM »
Wrote them on instagram, they assured me they're going to get back to me, and it still never happened.
Not in spam either. My 55 classics are hella bent now, without any impact whatsoever
Never heard a bad word about them before, how long you've been waiting for answer?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5200 on: March 25, 2022, 12:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Never heard a bad word about them before, how long you've been waiting for answer?

It's not that bad actually, "only" 8 days so far. But if the website says 1-3 days, it kinda sucks

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5201 on: March 25, 2022, 01:30:01 PM »
I had to bother them so many times about the pivot cavity being fucked up in my 66 AF1s. I kinda gave up due to being busy with life and then all of a sudden a new pair showed up at my doorstep. They never told me they’d send me a new pair or anything. Overall I’m definitely happy but it wasn’t the most reassuring experience for sure.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5202 on: March 25, 2022, 03:05:19 PM »
Impulse bought a pair of af1 55s after having some recent truck madness. Skated classics for a little bit but have been on ventures since last summer. Was going to return to Indy but aces are just so much more interesting to me. Wish me luck guys

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #5203 on: March 25, 2022, 03:13:58 PM »
Anyone here went from Classics, to AF1 and now back to classics?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5204 on: March 25, 2022, 03:28:12 PM »

Yup this was me. Just liked the way my classics felt. Might have just been used to them. Who can say, really.
ok thanks

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #5205 on: March 25, 2022, 06:34:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

A really good skateboarder will be a really good skateboarder on any truck.
[close]
I can attest, from experience, that a really mediocre skateboarder will be a really mediocre skateboarder on any truck, so you may well be onto something here.
Seriously, though: some of y’all don’t get used to a new set-up in a few minutes? I’m guessing it’s different once the really technical tricks gets added to the equation & maybe that’s where I’m having trouble relating (as a very basic skater) but I love trying the homies’ set-ups out, precisely because they ARE different than what I’m riding.
That’s actually how I wound up falling in love w/ Ace trucks in the first place (Thanks, Barker.)
You know Barker? Big Jim is living in Chico now and he should come up. I’d love to get a curb session with them both.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5206 on: March 25, 2022, 07:08:18 PM »

Weird. I noticed my Ace were bent on a Sunday and I had new AF1s by Friday.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5207 on: March 25, 2022, 09:57:36 PM »
I have to say, I hated the hard bushings on my ace classics. In the past I would run hard bushings on every other truck brand. Although the trucks still had their ace characteristics, they felt lifeless and sluggish. I also found they lost that "lean". Normally when I land tricks sketchy, I can kind of lean it out. Not with the hard bushings. Threw everything off. Ace definitely perform better stock. I'd only use these if you are dead set on tight trucks.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #5208 on: March 26, 2022, 01:00:59 AM »

I’m with you, classics definitely perform better. I appreciate the higher quality and durability of AF1s, but they don’t grind nearly as well as classics.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #5209 on: March 26, 2022, 01:08:39 AM »
I have to say, I hated the hard bushings on my ace classics. In the past I would run hard bushings on every other truck brand. Although the trucks still had their ace characteristics, they felt lifeless and sluggish. I also found they lost that "lean". Normally when I land tricks sketchy, I can kind of lean it out. Not with the hard bushings. Threw everything off. Ace definitely perform better stock. I'd only use these if you are dead set on tight trucks.

If you want harder bushings, Krux bushings work really well with Aces. You get nearly all the turn but they feel really stable.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5210 on: March 26, 2022, 04:25:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did you ask them for AF1s or is that something they're suggesting to everybody with bent classics? I'd be down for it. If they ever reply.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5211 on: March 26, 2022, 05:15:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m with you, classics definitely perform better. I appreciate the higher quality and durability of AF1s, but they don’t grind nearly as well as classics.

I did also. It was mainly because I purchased the AF1s long before I needed new trucks. I went back to the Classics because I'm somewhat obsessed with getting all my trucks to axle before surrendering them. But in doing so I did notice I prefer the Classic turn. Anyway, my Classics are now at axle so I'll likely be back on AF1s again soon. Not complaining. The geometry difference is not enough to really be a deal-breaker and I actually prefer the grind on the AF1s. Once the AF1 60s are out I think that will be my go-to truck. I do have to say a Classic 60 would be a nice option though.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5212 on: March 26, 2022, 05:26:10 AM »

I like the AF1’s a lot but I’m back on classics for now because they turn a little nicer for me, and I have a couple pair that are close to the bones.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #5213 on: March 26, 2022, 08:07:41 AM »
Recently went from Ace 44 Classic’s to Ace 55 AF1’s. The grind on the AF1’s is not as “buttery” as the Classic due to the stronger nature of the cast in the AF1’s, but they difference is really negligible. I can achieve the same length of grinds and keep the same speed in grinds on AF1’s as I do on the Classic’s. With the AF1 55’s being a size larger than the Classic 44’s, they feel much much less squirrelly in general. I can not speak for the 44 version of the AF1’s. On the 55 AF1’s compared to the 44 Classics, I can confirm the wheelbase feels slightly longer, but still undeniably Ace feeling. I was on Classics for so long but I can confirm in my own humble opinion that the AF1’s are an upgrade to the Classics in terms of overall stability. The flaws of the Classics (or flaws as I see it) are improved upon in the AF1’s. The more stable and less squirelly ride makes for a great experience. You get all the benefits of an Ace Classic but less unstability overall at the cost of the slightly longer wheelbase. Turns out I actually like trucks wider than the actual deck (I ride 8.25). I’m having a great time on the AF1 55’s. They feel like home. I put my Thunder’s on for a couple weeks then put my AF1’s back on and they just felt better for my personal preferences and the way I pop and time my tricks.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5214 on: March 26, 2022, 08:12:20 AM »
I bought AF1's when they first came out and hated them after trying sizes 44-66. Grinded like shit, sounded weird when rolling, bad wheelbite and the turn was not the same. Classics for life. When people say AF1's turn/grind better than classics I really don't understand. If they ever stopped making classics I'd be fucked.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5215 on: March 26, 2022, 09:20:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Did you ask them for AF1s or is that something they're suggesting to everybody with bent classics? I'd be down for it. If they ever reply.

I just asked. I said something like “I don’t want this to happen again, so I was wondering if I could get some AF1s,” and they didn’t hesitate to say yes.

Even if you’re done with Ace trucks, ask for AF1 since they have significantly higher resale value than do the Classics. $55 on eBay easily.

My AF1s are still sitting unskated in my bin, waiting for a beautiful spring day and a fresh deck to adorn.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5216 on: March 27, 2022, 06:28:22 PM »
Just had my first session on Ace AF1 66s today after primarily riding Indy. It’s more of a fun back up / curb board, but first impressions were good. The turn is obviously great and the Ace bushings are awesome. Rode them stock, didn’t adjust at all and they feel pretty dialed. Definitely stable but you can REALLY press into turns if you want.

I think the two things that will take some getting used to are: they’re much heavier than what I normally ride which is Indy forged hollows and my board *sounds* really different.

I wont do much tech skating on it so the weight isn’t a problem. The noise is definitely interesting, my board sounds kind of dead and it might be the trucks because they’re so solid. Could also be a bad rail install job…

I’ll have to adjust my approach on slappies, I felt like I was turning into them like normal and then missing. Looking forward to putting more time on them. I don’t think I’ll ever switch fully but it’s definitely fun trying them and seeing what the hype is about.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5217 on: March 27, 2022, 08:25:28 PM »
Yeah the af1s, and to a lesser extent the classics, make my board sound hella dead.
Totally a me problem, but I can’t ollie for shit with ace trucks.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #5218 on: March 28, 2022, 05:56:49 PM »
Are ace 55 classics (9" hangar) more like indy 159s (8.75) or indy 169s (9.125)?

I got a cruiser deck that is too narrow over the back trucks for my 169s  ::)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5219 on: March 28, 2022, 07:18:28 PM »
@fakie varial flip Ace Classic 55s are closer to Indy 169s . That's why the Ace 60s are about to drop to fill that gap in Ace sizing.