Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748044 times)

fakie varial flip

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5220 on: March 28, 2022, 07:24:09 PM »
@fakie varial flip Ace Classic 55s are closer to Indy 169s . That's why the Ace 60s are about to drop to fill that gap in Ace sizing.

Shit well i'll wait on that then. Big thanks for the help!!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5221 on: March 28, 2022, 07:58:12 PM »
Minor quibble: ace 55 classics have a 9” axle, as opposed to a 9.125” axle for the 169, but the hanger on the 55 is smaller than a 169. Almost right in the middle between a 159 and 169. I’ve definitely used 55s on 8.5s before, with no washers on the inside of the wheel. It works, little too wide, but doable for sure.

Like they said, 60s are coming and that sounds like it’d fit your needs

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5222 on: March 28, 2022, 08:02:34 PM »
If you want to 'quibble'  ;D

Ace 55s hangers are about 162mm
Indy 159s are 156s
Indy 169s are 166s

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5223 on: March 28, 2022, 08:35:32 PM »
Yeah almost (1 mm off) in the middle of 159-169. With the tapered hanger ends no washer is needed. Not perfect. But in a time when it’s fairly ordinary/was very recently fashionable, to use 159s on 8.38, totally doable.
To be totally clear, I should have written something like: anecdotally for me 55s definitely felt smaller than 169s, but, that very well could be my nonsense. They did work great on the one 8.5 I set them up on (well not totally great or maybe I would have settled there. Alas, I’m too soft to skate bigger trucks).

55s are closer to 169s

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5224 on: March 29, 2022, 02:22:31 AM »
My 55 classics are 159mm or at most 160mm. Ace are always smaller than they advertise, which sucks.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5225 on: March 29, 2022, 11:22:32 AM »
Update on the warranty, they never answered my first warranty claim, I sent a second one yesterday and they answered today. Don't know what happened to the first one, but I'm getting some AF1s and that's pretty amazing.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5226 on: March 29, 2022, 11:35:45 AM »
Update on the warranty, they never answered my first warranty claim, I sent a second one yesterday and they answered today. Don't know what happened to the first one, but I'm getting some AF1s and that's pretty amazing.

I'm sure it's like any other job where you get a billion emails - some percentage of them inevitably get forgotten or ignored for one reason or another. Rad to hear that they're hooking up the AF-1s! I almost set up mine yesterday but I really want to get these Indy 144s down to the axle before I give up
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5227 on: March 29, 2022, 01:00:25 PM »
Setting up a new board and noticed the baseplate of my AF1s has curved in at the lip towards the board. Anyone have this issue? Been skating them 6 months and I'm a heavy noseslider but still i expect more of these forged baseplates

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #5228 on: March 29, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
My front truck looks about the same. Noseslides. My baseplate is really worn down too.
On the other hand I have personally seen a set of Ventures so worn from nose slides that I could actually see the pivot cup plastic from the front of the truck. Dude went through all of the baseplate right below ( above technically) the hanger.

Edit*** I also have a warped baseplate on one of my  ACE 44 og trucks from ledge contact over time. It’s really old though…

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #5229 on: March 29, 2022, 03:09:39 PM »
Setting up a new board and noticed the baseplate of my AF1s has curved in at the lip towards the board. Anyone have this issue? Been skating them 6 months and I'm a heavy noseslider but still i expect more of these forged baseplates

Every truck ends up like that

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5230 on: March 29, 2022, 03:33:02 PM »

Are you using riser pads? That always happens if I do. Just file it away if it bothers you

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5231 on: March 29, 2022, 04:27:36 PM »

I’m big on noseslides and this has happened on every truck I have ever owned. I sometimes file it down when changing decks but mostly I just ignore it.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5232 on: March 29, 2022, 05:51:53 PM »
Yep. that has happened to me with Indy, Thunder and Ace. I just file it down by rubbing the baseplates on a concrete surface.

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5233 on: March 29, 2022, 06:09:14 PM »
Ok wow I feel like I've kooked myself here since everyone else has this all the time haha. I've for some reason never had it happen like this despite my relentless nosesliding over the past 10 years on many different trucks. Good to know its normal for others

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5234 on: March 29, 2022, 06:28:43 PM »
Ok wow I feel like I've kooked myself here since everyone else has this all the time haha. I've for some reason never had it happen like this despite my relentless nosesliding over the past 10 years on many different trucks. Good to know its normal for others

Never a worry with things like that - ask a question, get answers, all good.

I think the issue is when people flatly argue a point or disagree even after being proved wrong or something else is going on to make something a lot more of an issue than it really is, but hey I know sometimes I have to chill on the madness, be it skateboard hardware parts related or just in general.

Funny with that upwards turn of the edge of baseplates as sometimes it really is minimal and other times it eats into a deck so much, but I often wonder how much the terrain affects this, or more so just the angle of the truck, concave and curve of the kick or even just how much something is waxed or not, eg waxed might slide longer, but cause more push up on the baseplate in the long run, over something that is raw and you are just charging at but not getting very far along.

Either way, as said, just hold the truck mall grab style and scrape it on some medium concrete - footpath / sidewalk or skatepark - to get rid of the extra lip and it should be good to go.  That's what I usually do with any trucks when changing over boards for people and I see that sort of thing.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5235 on: March 29, 2022, 06:34:20 PM »
I just call those noseslide grooves

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5236 on: March 30, 2022, 11:23:45 AM »
Def suggest shaving that sharp edge down on some rough concrete, I found that wooden boxes with that sharp angle iron cause this problem the most

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5237 on: April 01, 2022, 09:18:23 AM »
The new Lows as well as the 60s have hit europe, titus has some good pictures.
Interesting how they managed to keep the kingpin clearance the same, seems really nice.

Standard 60s:
https://www.titus.at/ace-achse-60-af1-8.75-polished-0123376/

60 Lows:
https://www.titus.at/ace-achse-60-af1-low-8.75-polished-0123378/

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5238 on: April 01, 2022, 09:58:13 AM »
I've gotta be honest, I've been a little disappointed in the grind on the Ace AF1s. I know that the Classics are supposed to have the super buttery grind, but a lot of the reviews for the AF1 were still really positive. However, they don't seem to grind through stuff nearly as well as my Indys.

They're still a blast to ride and the turn is awesome, I'm having a lot of fun on them, that's just my feedback after my first couple of sessions.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5239 on: April 01, 2022, 10:39:51 AM »
I've gotta be honest, I've been a little disappointed in the grind on the Ace AF1s. I know that the Classics are supposed to have the super buttery grind, but a lot of the reviews for the AF1 were still really positive. However, they don't seem to grind through stuff nearly as well as my Indys.

They're still a blast to ride and the turn is awesome, I'm having a lot of fun on them, that's just my feedback after my first couple of sessions.

They're definitely harder than classics. I started off with af1 and only recently tried classics for the first time (which immediately bent). Classics really are buttery smooth

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5240 on: April 01, 2022, 03:29:06 PM »
is anyone picking up the 60 lows?
interested in hearing how a 49mm 8.75 truck performs
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5241 on: April 01, 2022, 04:16:46 PM »

Are they doing a 66, or is 60 the largest they’re going? Either way, I’m planning on picking up a set because I’m genuinely curious why these would exist and I’ve got an orange Classic Eagle in the stack calling their name. Seems like it might be a fun parking lot/curb setup…

Wafools

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #5242 on: April 01, 2022, 06:19:00 PM »

Nothing will beat the grind of Indy’s. I just went back to them after skating some AF1s. I just couldn’t get over the slower soft feel.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5243 on: April 01, 2022, 06:35:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are they doing a 66, or is 60 the largest they’re going? Either way, I’m planning on picking up a set because I’m genuinely curious why these would exist and I’ve got an orange Classic Eagle in the stack calling their name. Seems like it might be a fun parking lot/curb setup…
lows are going up to 60 if i remember correctly
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5244 on: April 02, 2022, 09:09:22 AM »
Ace post about unloading the container for spring, indicates that there are some new products on board. Large boxes of AF1 Lows are visible, which I supposed means they will be shipping out around the US soon. I didn't see any hollows, but that dual-color ano baseplate AF1 looks fucking sick.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cb2pVwvg7dS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5245 on: April 02, 2022, 10:08:10 AM »
Ace post about unloading the container for spring, indicates that there are some new products on board. Large boxes of AF1 Lows are visible, which I supposed means they will be shipping out around the US soon. I didn't see any hollows, but that dual-color ano baseplate AF1 looks fucking sick.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cb2pVwvg7dS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Someone in the comments asked if there would be hollow af1 standard height and ace responded “when the leaves turn colors.” Sounds like we’ll have to wait until fall. Still hyped though regardless

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #5246 on: April 02, 2022, 01:23:24 PM »
I was so excited to waste money on the 8.75” AF1 lows for months but Ace’s delayed timing is starting to give me a more responsible outlook on my financial decisions. Thank you, Ace?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5247 on: April 02, 2022, 06:03:31 PM »
Had my first session back on AF1s in almost a year today. I put my AF1s away only a few weeks after they came out,  as I wanted to grind the classics to axle. Anyway, some recent posts in this thread had me nervous to get back on the AF1s but I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked them. I skated steel coping, pool coping and some curbs and enjoyed the grind on all surfaces. It is a unique feeling after being on Classics and Indys for the last year but I really dig 'em. Dare I say, in my very humble opinion my AF1 55s were grinding better than my Classic 44s. Looking forward to the 60s more than ever.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5248 on: April 03, 2022, 03:57:34 PM »
What's up with Ace being the same height as Indy? Indy are meant to be 55mm and Ace 52mm. I measured my Indy's and they are 50mm from baseplate to middle of axle. Sorry if this is a dumb post but going through serious truck madness and this has sent me over the edge.

(Stole this image from a Royal thread. Sorry!)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5249 on: April 03, 2022, 04:24:07 PM »
Can't say anything about indies but my aces are all 52-53mm high.
No one knew what was going on in these photos, extremely weird and something is definitely wrong.
Are yours and the ones in the photo possibly indy lows?
Did you measure both sides, and from the bottom of the baseplate?