Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747351 times)

mamba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5340 on: April 21, 2022, 02:29:33 PM »
14.38 is perfect with classics for me. 14.5 is still good but makes flip tricks more difficult. yet to try it with AF-1. I'm 5'9 with longer legs for reference.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #5341 on: April 21, 2022, 02:41:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone got hands on the 60s yet?

I know the axle is 8.75" but wondering what the hangers come in at... Presuming close to 159/ 151/ 6.1s etc...
[close]

Wondering the same thing because my 9" AF1 66s as well as the 55 classics are only 159 or at most 160 mm
[close]

I’ve felt like my classic 55s were similar to 159s, but haven’t had both at the same time

A hair under an even 6”. The camera distorts too much if I try to take a pic of the whole truck. So, two pics to show it squared up on the measurements.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #5342 on: April 21, 2022, 03:26:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What wheelbase do you prefer with Aces? I've tried all between 14 and 14.75 except 14.5. and tend to like wider wheelbase bc I feel like my setup weights a ton if I pair short wb with Aces.
[close]

14.3x
[close]

This. 14.38 appears to be the sweet spot. Which is Unfortunate because 8.75x14.38 is kinda rare.
[close]
polars 8.75 popsicle is listed with a 14.375 wb
theres at least one every drop

Yep. That’s the board I realized is perfect with 55 classics.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5343 on: April 21, 2022, 03:38:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I know the axle is 8.75" but wondering what the hangers come in at... Presuming close to 159/ 151/ 6.1s etc...
[close]

Wondering the same thing because my 9" AF1 66s as well as the 55 classics are only 159 or at most 160 mm
[close]

I’ve felt like my classic 55s were similar to 159s, but haven’t had both at the same time
[close]

A hair under an even 6”. The camera distorts too much if I try to take a pic of the whole truck. So, two pics to show it squared up on the measurements.

Looks like you might be measuring a little under. You have to take into account the sight conical ends to the hanger (they do that so the bearings shields don't sit on the hanger)

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #5344 on: April 21, 2022, 05:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Looks like you might be measuring a little under. You have to take into account the sight conical ends to the hanger (they do that so the bearings shields don't sit on the hanger)

:)

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5345 on: April 26, 2022, 07:39:45 AM »
Has anyone mixed ace hard bottom bushing with the softer stock top bushing?

Curious if it makes the truck more stable at center like indys?

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #5346 on: April 26, 2022, 10:28:28 AM »

I had a similar issue when i first got Af1's, i found that tightening them a bit then skating them for a few sessions lead to the bushings kinda "pancaking" out and stabilizing at the center more.

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5347 on: April 26, 2022, 11:46:43 AM »
Oh I've had my AF1s for a year now and I like them, just can't help but wonder if I'd like them even more with some tweaks

Expand Quote

[close]

I had a similar issue when i first got Af1's, i found that tightening them a bit then skating them for a few sessions lead to the bushings kinda "pancaking" out and stabilizing at the center more.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5348 on: April 27, 2022, 03:38:49 PM »
Finally felt up some 60s at the shop. I did not measure the hangers but lined them up against some Indy 159s and can confirm they are a fair bit narrower, which is fine by me.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5349 on: April 28, 2022, 06:56:39 PM »
Just got my pair of 60s and the hangers come in at  around 154 and axles at 8 3/4", which is perfect for my needs. So a slightly ( but noticeable) smaller hanger than Indy 159s.  I could probably ride these on everything from an 8.4 pop to a 9.18 Huffer. Stoked.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5350 on: April 28, 2022, 07:17:57 PM »
Just got my pair of 60s and the hangers come in at  around 154 and axles at 8 3/4", which is perfect for my needs. So a slightly ( but noticeable) smaller hanger than Indy 159s.  I could probably ride these on everything from an 8.4 pop to a 9.18 Huffer. Stoked.

I do really like how ace has had these quirky in between sizes that end up having so much flexibility

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5351 on: April 28, 2022, 07:30:27 PM »
I agree. These could be the trucks I settle on for sure but new bushing sponginess sucks! Tempted to put some old bushings in, if these don't firm up a bit. The bushings on my Af1 55s did break in really nice but it took a long time.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 67
« Reply #5352 on: April 28, 2022, 08:31:16 PM »
based on those measurements of the 60s that might be my new truck if my 8.38 board experience isn't what I want it to be. sounds perfect for the board sizes I usually prefer to ride. :)

edit: might just grab them at some point for my second setup. seems like a pretty fair excuse to me.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5353 on: April 28, 2022, 11:26:59 PM »
Something I've realized going between super wide Radial Fulls and pretty thin V5s is that wheel width can definitely interact with trucks turning in meaningful ways.

The trucks definitely feel more "squirrelly" with thin wheels than really wide wheels. They feel great to me with both, but it's worth thinking about. It will switch up the type of skating you might want to do with them.

I'm a wider wheel skater these days so I'm in love with Ace. They work perfectly to balance each other out. Wide stable wheels with a quick responsive turn is a great combo.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:12:39 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #5354 on: April 29, 2022, 07:23:55 AM »
I agree. These could be the trucks I settle on for sure but new bushing sponginess sucks! Tempted to put some old bushings in, if these don't firm up a bit. The bushings on my Af1 55s did break in really nice but it took a long time.

Just my two cents, but with the AF-1 the sponginess isn't the bushings but the pivot cups. Riptide is about to come out with replacements that will likely be more firm out of the gate.

My incurable truck madness that makes me constantly switch between 44 classics and Indy 149s is getting kind of triggered by the 60s. I've been avoiding AF-1s because I hate the pivot cups but I know once an alternative is available I am going to probably cave.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5355 on: April 29, 2022, 07:30:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just my two cents, but with the AF-1 the sponginess isn't the bushings but the pivot cups. Riptide is about to come out with replacements that will likely be more firm out of the gate.

My incurable truck madness that makes me constantly switch between 44 classics and Indy 149s is getting kind of triggered by the 60s. I've been avoiding AF-1s because I hate the pivot cups but I know once an alternative is available I am going to probably cave.

Comparatively, imo, I’m in a sunken place: I’m all brands of trucks at any given moment, just all over the place, so switching between two trucks, that share some dna, sounds like stability.
Totally agree about the pivot cup being the issue, too soft, for me.
Af-1s could very well bridge with the gap, between the classic, and indy. That seems to be the intent behind the geometry.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5356 on: April 29, 2022, 08:35:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've said this a lot before (and Riptides wouldn't solve the issue), but my instinct is always to say that a pivot cup made out of the type of hard plastic that the other brands use will function better than one made from a relatively softer polyurethane.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5357 on: April 29, 2022, 09:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe I described it wrong but its the bushings for me for sure. I've had three sets of Af1s at this point and the the pivot cups have always been fine. These bushings are already firming up a bit just like they did with the other pairs... although I caved and put Krux bushings in my 66s.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #5358 on: April 29, 2022, 09:35:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Maybe I described it wrong but its the bushings for me for sure. I've had three sets of Af1s at this point and the the pivot cups have always been fine. These bushings are already firming up a bit just like they did with the other pairs... although I caved and put Krux bushings in my 66s.

Fair enough, I just couldn't deal with the pivot cups on the set I had.

@manysnakes I agree with you that hard plastic is the best, but riptides are firmer than the stocks and for my money almost anything would be an improvement.

Discussion isn making me keep my 149s on for another day, so perhaps that is something.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5359 on: April 29, 2022, 06:56:51 PM »
Holy shit these 60s are good. Amazing out of the gate. Bushings are good now. This might be my holy grail truck…

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5360 on: April 29, 2022, 09:10:02 PM »
Holy shit these 60s are good. Amazing out of the gate. Bushings are good now. This might be my holy grail truck…

Oh shit!

Shady Individual

• Rep: 11
« Reply #5361 on: April 30, 2022, 07:57:40 AM »

Do you use risers? Been wanting to get some and kinda scared of massive wheelbite with them being low, wide and loose.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5362 on: April 30, 2022, 08:39:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you use risers? Been wanting to get some and kinda scared of massive wheelbite with them being low, wide and loose.

Might be the standard height 60s he’s talking about, which is what I’d recommend before putting a riser on a low truck, to be honest. A riser is about 3mm, or roughly the difference between the AF1 standard and low, yeah?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5363 on: April 30, 2022, 09:37:41 AM »
Correct standard AF1s. I've never messed with a low. I use risers most of the time, even with standards.

Shady Individual

• Rep: 11
« Reply #5364 on: April 30, 2022, 10:27:44 AM »
Correct standard AF1s. I've never messed with a low. I use risers most of the time, even with standards.

Thanks for letting me know. Didn't even know they make them in a regular AF1 version, thought the 60 was a low only option.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5365 on: May 01, 2022, 07:32:01 AM »
Does the AF-1 grind slow down once it is broken in? I got the AF-1 lows and my god, the grind is so slippery.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5366 on: May 01, 2022, 02:01:24 PM »
I was one of the few that didn’t like the AF1’s when they came out. Bought some AF1 44’s from my local yesterday and decided to give them another shot. Left them stock, turn is great and still hair trigger quickness. Maybe yeah, more stable than the classics? Grind felt smooth this time around and not sticky like I had initially experienced. I doubt they changed the “molecular” formula but idk, maybe they did. Either way, I’m lovin it. They look better than classics and seems like they literally do not bend at all so that adds some peace of mind to them.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5367 on: May 01, 2022, 05:27:42 PM »
Does the AF-1 grind slow down once it is broken in? I got the AF-1 lows and my god, the grind is so slippery.

I find all brand new trucks have an unpredictable grind. Get them broken in. They will get better and better.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5368 on: May 01, 2022, 10:47:59 PM »
I thought the af1’s were more dense/harder…..

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5369 on: May 01, 2022, 11:33:38 PM »
They are