Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747765 times)

somefucker

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5460 on: May 20, 2022, 07:41:03 AM »
And which board are ventures  ???

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Let’s try something.

I want to compare the feeling of turn of a truck to the nose of a board. As if you were standing on a 2x4 balanced on the nose of a board.

Totally agree with this one. One of my friends rides really loose Indies and his board feels like I'm constantly balancing on a rail. Ace trucks are the only trucks that I can ride fairly loose-ish because of the stable center :)

For me, a medium to tight Indy feels like the first one. Predicable, round, basic.

A loose Indy feels a bit like #2, very tippy into a deep turn (and wheel bite)

For my, Aces feel closer to a #3, a bit ‘flatter’ or ‘stable’ for the first part of the turn, but then tapers off deep quickly.

Does that make sense?
[close]
[close]

whichever board is in the trash

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #5461 on: May 20, 2022, 07:42:01 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Let’s try something.

I want to compare the feeling of turn of a truck to the nose of a board. As if you were standing on a 2x4 balanced on the nose of a board.

For me, a medium to tight Indy feels like the first one. Predicable, round, basic.

For my, Aces feel closer to a #3, a bit ‘flatter’ or ‘stable’ for the first part of the turn, but then tapers off deep quickly.

Does that make sense?
[close]
Totally agree with this one. One of my friends rides really loose Indies and his board feels like I'm constantly balancing on a rail. Ace trucks are the only trucks that I can ride fairly loose-ish because of the stable center :)
[close]
And which board are ventures  ???

You tell me, I’ve never ridden them
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

IpathCats

« Reply #5462 on: May 20, 2022, 07:43:23 AM »
Let’s try something.

Does that make sense?

I've looked at this every day since you've posted it, and it still doesn't make sense to me.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5463 on: May 20, 2022, 12:50:56 PM »
So i’ve just a new pair of the 44 classics, first break-in session on them today and i noticed the bottom (and sometimes top) bushing was spewing out and over the side of the washer. Is this normal? Ive just put it down to them being so soft. Kept both nuts flush and stock. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5464 on: May 20, 2022, 12:53:15 PM »
So i’ve just a new pair of the 44 classics, first break-in session on them today and i noticed the bottom (and sometimes top) bushing was spewing out and over the side of the washer. Is this normal? Ive just put it down to them being so soft. Kept both nuts flush and stock. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately that really is normal. Mine only did it once, put it back in so the bushing doesn't get destroyed and it never happened again.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5465 on: May 20, 2022, 01:03:08 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, i thought that may have been the case. I noticed it more when trying slappy crooks. The board wouldn’t return to center as the side of the bushing was sitting ontop of the cup - it would squeeze out and i’d push the bulged material back in with the flat tip of my car key. Actually went to the trouble of removing the hanger halfway through and turning the bottom one upside down.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5466 on: May 20, 2022, 01:26:17 PM »
That's a very common problem with the Classics. The washers are too small and thick as hell also. Best thing you can do is chuck 'em and get some normal washers from the local if you don't happen to have an extra set. Much better turn and no bulging.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5467 on: May 20, 2022, 04:57:48 PM »
As a first time potential Ace user converting from Indy's, if AF1's are the same price as classics, I should probably just by AF1 right?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5468 on: May 20, 2022, 05:24:51 PM »
As a first time potential Ace user converting from Indy's, if AF1's are the same price as classics, I should probably just by AF1 right?

Yeah, they also feel a bit more like an indy. Overall awesome trucks

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #5469 on: May 20, 2022, 08:46:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, they also feel a bit more like an indy. Overall awesome trucks

Cool. I'm looking for a quicker snap/pop so the shorter relative wheelbase and lower height are both trending to what I want

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5470 on: May 21, 2022, 05:54:33 PM »
Had some bushing madness and discovered a new one for anyone else that wants to try it. Stock bottom Ace bushing but a bones hard bottom bushing as the top bushing. Nut stays flush as long as you don’t use a top washer. Deep turn with added stability and snap back to center while the wheelbite is reduced significantly.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5471 on: May 21, 2022, 07:46:52 PM »
Had some bushing madness and discovered a new one for anyone else that wants to try it. Stock bottom Ace bushing but a bones hard bottom bushing as the top bushing. Nut stays flush as long as you don’t use a top washer. Deep turn with added stability and snap back to center while the wheelbite is reduced significantly.

I tried using bones as tops (all three flavors) with stock ace bottoms and found the hard bones/ace combo split my ace bushings. Also bones progressively compresses shorter over time and separates from the hard core.

Ace bottom bushings are pretty close to the same height as longboard bushings so anyone with the madness has plenty of bushing options.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5472 on: May 22, 2022, 03:51:33 AM »

When did after market bushings become a thing, when I started skating it sucked but you would just take the 2 weeks break in stock bushings and be good for 3 years.

I always hear "bones are great but they collapse after a few sessions in hot weather"

You boys are at the mercy of Big Bushing break in your stock bushings boys please.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5473 on: May 22, 2022, 11:22:33 AM »
Picking up some Ace next weekend after 10 years on Indy's. I skate metal ledges and coping a lot and I like to groove in my trucks.

Do I get classics or AF1s? Im thinking classics personally because I feel like AF1s will take forever to groove on metal but maybe I'm tripping. Which grinds nicer on metal?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #5474 on: May 22, 2022, 12:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When did after market bushings become a thing, when I started skating it sucked but you would just take the 2 weeks break in stock bushings and be good for 3 years.

I always hear "bones are great but they collapse after a few sessions in hot weather"

You boys are at the mercy of Big Bushing break in your stock bushings boys please.

I can agree with you to minimizing madness, but also I raise this: A handful  of truck companies do not sell conical shaped bushings stock in their truck (Indy, Venture, and Ace [I think] are examples. Usually it's the barrel bottom. Having some bushing flexibility in shape/durometer is nice to optimize the feel of the turn/stability. It's the one component that's integral to the overall feeling of a skateboard set up. Those aftermarkets could last ya 3 years as well and then you have stocks as back ups or to mix and match with.
Super Champion Fun Zone

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5475 on: May 22, 2022, 01:41:51 PM »
Picking up some Ace next weekend after 10 years on Indy's. I skate metal ledges and coping a lot and I like to groove in my trucks.

Do I get classics or AF1s? Im thinking classics personally because I feel like AF1s will take forever to groove on metal but maybe I'm tripping. Which grinds nicer on metal?

If we’re taking metal like metal coping, it’s the classics. Not even close comparison. I got some AF-1 lows recently and the harder metal was like ice on the coping.

Wafools

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #5476 on: May 22, 2022, 05:48:05 PM »

That’s the Russ Pope special. He runs that.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5477 on: May 22, 2022, 07:54:17 PM »

It also depends on what size truck you want, given they don't actually have all sizes right through both styles.

If you ride an 8.5 board, I found the Classic 44 just a bit too narrow, but they worked well on an 8.25 board, whereas the AF1 55 was really good for board to truck width on my 8.38 and 8.5 decks.

Not to discount what others have said, but some people like that slick (always waxy) feeling on coping, even though I skated both types on my ramp (no wax) and they both felt good on metal coping.

If price is an issue, you can pick up Classics for a whole lot less usually, but if performance is preferred, the AF1 seems to hold up better than the Classics.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5478 on: May 22, 2022, 11:33:39 PM »

Okay. I ended up rotating my baseplate so that I can use the old pivot cup bushing from the back truck. So it blew again after a 30 min. Slappy session. So now both my pivot holes on both baseplates are warped. I did have this issue back on the classic V2’s but then again I was doing slappy’s around that time where i would pinch and wouldn’t even get full lock on top the curb but more of a weird cross-lock pinch during slappy where my front truck isn’t all the way locked into the curb but hanging more on one side and staying pinched. I think the culprit this time is the radial full wheels being too wide for the current smaller sizing of the hanger for AF1 44’s. Hence it has a deeper/higher/more gap between truck to bottom surface of the wheel as opposed to having more truck space to sit the hanger right where it’s not pinched and not have to put the truck in a cranked pinched position while on grind. This combo just shred’s and chews the lip of the pivot cup bushing and circumsize’s the pivot cup bushing lip/edges, giving the pivot hole a quarter of space after it rips it apart. It will then give the pivot point more play when it turns or stay in that pinched position(depending on size of the wheel) hence why the pivot hole on the baseplate to warp. shit is irritating and i want to receive replacement pivot cup bushings from Ace. I’ve already bought a set of AF1 pivot cup bushings which are $7 a set. They’re already expensive as it is and I expected more from a high quality urethane pivot cup bushings. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:30:16 AM by ferraveemo »

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5479 on: May 23, 2022, 12:29:40 PM »
I'm about to give up on Ace based on the same type of issue as above. After ripping both an AF1 pivot cup and now the prototype Riptide ones they were kind enough to send me to try out, I'm tired of dealing with a truck that can't handle the abuse all other trucks seem to do just fine at. But god damn I will miss that turn...

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5480 on: May 23, 2022, 01:02:54 PM »
Anyone here rock classic 55s on 8.5s?

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #5481 on: May 23, 2022, 01:55:58 PM »
I'm about to give up on Ace based on the same type of issue as above. After ripping both an AF1 pivot cup and now the prototype Riptide ones they were kind enough to send me to try out, I'm tired of dealing with a truck that can't handle the abuse all other trucks seem to do just fine at. But god damn I will miss that turn...

You’re hooked. You’ll be back.  :)

I get pissed about the pivot cups too -but then I remember all the years of having to tap my axles back to center 3-4 times a session with Indys. Can’t win for trying.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5482 on: May 23, 2022, 02:54:03 PM »
Shame some of you have such bad luck with the pivot cups. Every time I read this thread I check my Aces for cup damage and keep thinking its bound to happen but nope... and I'm a heavy bastard that loves to smash his trucks into things...

I have AF1 55s, 60s and 66s set up at the moment and so far no damage... touch wood...

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5483 on: May 23, 2022, 03:36:46 PM »
Anyone who wants to give up on Ace is welcome to give their AF1s to me for proper testing.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5484 on: May 23, 2022, 05:15:25 PM »
I had pivot cup problems on the first AF1s, they sent replacements and have been fine since. Indy Ti axles slipped and those were also replaced. At least both companies have great customer service.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5485 on: May 23, 2022, 05:43:17 PM »
I had pivot cup problems on the first AF1s, they sent replacements and have been fine since. Indy Ti axles slipped and those were also replaced. At least both companies have great customer service.

Did they send you a replacement pivot cup bushing or baseplate? Was the issue from the pivot cup bushing or the baseplate? This set was actually from the first batch of AF1’s that came out on release week. Just sat on them up until now.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5486 on: May 23, 2022, 06:20:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did they send you a replacement pivot cup bushing or baseplate? Was the issue from the pivot cup bushing or the baseplate? This set was actually from the first batch of AF1’s that came out on release week. Just sat on them up until now.

I just had the pivot cups tear, and it did not cause any baseplate damage like others had, so just the cups is what I got. Also from the first batch.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #5487 on: May 23, 2022, 11:42:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I get pissed about the pivot cups too -but then I remember all the years of having to tap my axles back to center 3-4 times a session with Indys. Can’t win for trying.

Weird I've been skating Indy for at least 12 years straight and none of my pairs have ever needed a tap back to center. Was that more common prior to Stage 10?
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5488 on: May 24, 2022, 03:29:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Weird I've been skating Indy for at least 12 years straight and none of my pairs have ever needed a tap back to center. Was that more common prior to Stage 10?

I feel like most pro brand trucks had significant issues, axle slip being one of them, but none of my Stage 9, 10 or 11 have had any of those kind of issues the way some of the older versions did.  Come to think of it no pro brand trucks have had axle slip at all in more recent years.

Seen axle bend, hanger break, and only one kingpin break in the last few years.

Maybe Ace has had the most issues with product and parts, apart from Lurpiv trucks, from all brands I have seen and heard of in modern times, or at least that seems to be how it comes across on Slap, but even then, it is still only a small percentage of all trucks produced.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5489 on: May 24, 2022, 05:09:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oh yeah. Tapping axles back to center was common on basically every truck I skated throughout the 90s.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021