Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747409 times)

intendedreceivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 204
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5520 on: June 12, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »
Hm, good point. I have a bunch of flat washers laying around that I would've put on eventually but I prefer to break in as stock - will throw them on and report back.

Here’s what came stock on all mine for reference; thick and pretty flat.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5521 on: June 14, 2022, 10:42:47 AM »
I don’t know why people say to run Ace at their “stock” tightness - both pairs of Ace I owned arrived with the nut just sort of threaded to wherever, no symmetry between the trucks. They are not torquing these to spec or counting the threads; someone at the factory is just slapping them together and boxing them up. You should adjust them however you want.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #5522 on: June 14, 2022, 11:14:19 AM »
I don’t know why people say to run Ace at their “stock” tightness - both pairs of Ace I owned arrived with the nut just sort of threaded to wherever, no symmetry between the trucks. They are not torquing these to spec or counting the threads; someone at the factory is just slapping them together and boxing them up. You should adjust them however you want.

lmfao, I have always thought this too.

somefucker

« Reply #5523 on: June 14, 2022, 11:16:20 AM »

do any truck companies have stock tension? seems like some snake oil

IpathCats

« Reply #5524 on: June 14, 2022, 11:20:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

do any truck companies have stock tension? seems like some snake oil

Not to my knowledge. I feel like skaters just use the term to describe how they are when they buy them, but i seriously doubt a single one of these companies has a stock torque spec. can you imagine a line of guys with little torque wrenches at the end of the assembly line?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5525 on: June 14, 2022, 11:25:21 AM »
There's basically zero chance that it's anything other than a person with an air hammer and a 3/8" socket bit giving them a little "wiiiizzzz" before tossing them into a bag.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5526 on: June 14, 2022, 11:57:25 AM »
I actually had to loosen mine up from "stock" in order to get them to where i liked they.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5527 on: June 14, 2022, 01:53:41 PM »
**DON'T MESS WITH THE FACTORY SETTINGS**

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5528 on: June 14, 2022, 02:06:12 PM »
I thought you had to skate the classics "stock" because if you tightened them before the bushings broke in they'd crack or something?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5529 on: June 14, 2022, 02:09:45 PM »
LOL. Yeah leaving the kingpin nut where it is from the factory is absolutely criminal. It's usually too tight and compressing the bushings too much. Sometimes the stock bushings could even be defective or something, and the culprit for them blowing out early. I take them apart and inspect the bushings, washers, and pivots, then put it all back together and tighten it juuuust enough to where I can't spin the bottom washer with my fingers anymore. Then a couple small turns to secure it even more.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5530 on: June 14, 2022, 11:49:09 PM »
I just threw in some riptides in my classics. absolutely love the way these feel now. I already loved classics, but damn this is a whole other level.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5531 on: June 15, 2022, 12:17:02 AM »
I mean both of my trucks seemed exact in terms of how far the nut was tightened down (basically flush), but as @intendedreceivers mentioned it seemed my washers were deeper/more cupped which led to them not feeling as they should. I swapped them for flat ones, tightened to flush and now they feel exactly how I expected them to, fucking beautiful.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5532 on: June 15, 2022, 12:19:40 AM »
Don’t know if anyone cares but Tom Penny is setup with aces on his ig story right now. Thought it was kinda cool

IpathCats

« Reply #5533 on: June 15, 2022, 05:36:09 AM »
Don’t know if anyone cares but Tom Penny is setup with aces on his ig story right now. Thought it was kinda cool

Oh, I def care about that. interesting move tbh, the lower trucks and lighter popfeel might be helping him get those flip tricks in his older age with old legs.

Flip tricks took less effort for me on aces, but they were kinda sloppy and not as high as they are for me on other trucks.

Just my personal experience.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5534 on: June 15, 2022, 08:52:59 AM »
Whenever I kickflip it doesnt feel like the board sucks up to me feet and its hard to stomp it down, but they always look better than they feel.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5535 on: June 15, 2022, 08:55:44 AM »
AF1 33's in the mail for my 8 inch board. $29.95 CAN per truck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5536 on: June 15, 2022, 09:09:40 AM »
I have been the dickhead exhorting/online bullying people to keep their trucks stock. I would offer this advice after someone would post about how they got (usually aces) new trucks, cranked the ratfuck outta their bushings, and then the bushings were screwed up, bulging, what have you.
Bushings feel like they’ve gotten so much better, even in the last 10ish years. I prefer to keep all of my (too many) trucks with the stock parts these days. I do adjust the kingpin tightness, but try and and do that very little, for the first week of riding the trucks. My recent venture 5.8s came very tightened, like multiple threads showing.
Anyways, I apologize for pushing the ‘keep ‘em stock’ dogma. Uncool on my part.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5537 on: June 15, 2022, 09:24:55 AM »
I don't think anyone is saying that you should or should not run the trucks stock - do whatever you want. I was just saying that the "stock tightness" thing is obviously a myth because there's no "stock" tightness. Someone at the factory is just slapping a nut on there and sometimes it's like two threads deep and sometimes it's finger tight, so you should definitely adjust them to your preference when they're new.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 10:47:23 AM by manysnakes »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5538 on: June 15, 2022, 10:10:47 AM »
My starting point with all new trucks is nut flush. I try them with the nut flush and then get crazy for a day or two with bushings, waxing the pivot, risers, no risers etc... unit I can make them feel good nut flush. Once they feel decent nut flush, the break-in period can commence properly.

For what its worth with AF1s all I did was wax the pivot, and have them slightly tighter than nut-flush perhaps (one thread showing) and they were perfect with stock bushings especially after  week or two worth of break in.

That is until my board rolled through a puddle. I've never experienced this before but wet bushings/ pivot cups made the trucks insanely loose. After they dried out they were fine again.

IpathCats

« Reply #5539 on: June 15, 2022, 10:17:06 AM »
My starting point with all new trucks is nut flush. I try them with the nut flush and then get crazy for a day or two with bushings, waxing the pivot, risers, no risers etc... unit I can make them feel good nut flush. Once they feel decent nut flush, the break-in period can commence properly.

For what its worth with AF1s all I did was wax the pivot, and have them slightly tighter than nut-flush perhaps (one thread showing) and they were perfect with stock bushings especially after  week or two worth of break in.

That is until my board rolled through a puddle. I've never experienced this before but wet bushings/ pivot cups made the trucks insanely loose. After they dried out they were fine again.

This just happened to me for the first time this week! my board has rolled through plenty of puddles in the past and i never noticed anything like this before. weird seeing you mention it after just having experienced it myself.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5540 on: June 18, 2022, 01:36:41 PM »
I read on here somewhere that the first batch of AF-1 (the first year) grinded sticky and the most recent this year grinded smooth. Can someone on this confirm who has had multiple pairs??

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5541 on: June 19, 2022, 06:10:27 AM »
I read on here somewhere that the first batch of AF-1 (the first year) grinded sticky and the most recent this year grinded smooth. Can someone on this confirm who has had multiple pairs??

Cannot speak to the old one, but I just got the newest new AF-1s (the blue and orange anodized ones) and they grind beautifully. As least as good at the Indy 144 Standards I had before them.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5542 on: June 19, 2022, 06:22:48 AM »

I got one from the first release and one from the most recent one, they're exactly the same. They were never sticky, just harder than classics and people really really wanted to talk shit on them for some reason when they first came out

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5543 on: June 19, 2022, 07:58:54 AM »

I think it just has to do with preferences ( and talking shit like the other person said). I got a pair of AF1s recently after only riding Indy and thunder and it took me a while to get comfortable grinding on them. It did feel a little sticky at first but once I got a bit of groove going it was fine

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5544 on: June 19, 2022, 09:24:15 AM »
As everyone above said. I had some of the fist batch and recently got some 60s. They feel the same and start grading better once you have worn them in. The main thing to notice is how much more durable they are than Classics.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5545 on: June 19, 2022, 01:14:03 PM »
Yeah, I’m guessing compared to classics, they grind worse, but compared to any other truck they grind well…..

I remember seeing people burn through classics in weeks…..

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5546 on: June 20, 2022, 04:00:34 AM »
What are your guys preferences for wheelbase on AF1's, especially those on 8.5's? When I mentioned I was making the switch to Ace's someone told me to be wary of wheelbase but I can't remember who or what the general rule of thumb is. I was skating Venture 5.6s on 8.5's with 14.5 wb's and my flat game was prolly the best it's ever been despite the fact I'd read Venture's pair up better with a shorter wb. On an 8.5 14.5 WB with 44 AF1's atm and my flat has gone to shit though it could also be the fact I jumped to full new setup and I'm still recovering from a fucked ankle so I don't have as much power as I'd like.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5547 on: June 20, 2022, 07:32:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it just has to do with preferences ( and talking shit like the other person said). I got a pair of AF1s recently after only riding Indy and thunder and it took me a while to get comfortable grinding on them. It did feel a little sticky at first but once I got a bit of groove going it was fine

I had AF1's when they first came out and they 100% grinded like shit. I scooped the newest batch of 44's around beginning of spring/summer this year and they grind like they have ice in the alloy, they are amazing. Something definitely changed.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5548 on: June 20, 2022, 07:42:14 AM »
Ive got af1 from when they just became available and I have no complaints regarding how they grind.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #5549 on: June 20, 2022, 08:04:58 AM »
What are your guys preferences for wheelbase on AF1's, especially those on 8.5's? When I mentioned I was making the switch to Ace's someone told me to be wary of wheelbase but I can't remember who or what the general rule of thumb is. I was skating Venture 5.6s on 8.5's with 14.5 wb's and my flat game was prolly the best it's ever been despite the fact I'd read Venture's pair up better with a shorter wb. On an 8.5 14.5 WB with 44 AF1's atm and my flat has gone to shit though it could also be the fact I jumped to full new setup and I'm still recovering from a fucked ankle so I don't have as much power as I'd like.
If you liked ventures on a 14.5, I wouldn’t recommend sizing down. If you’re riding flat decks, maybe consider riding something a little steeper but I’d wait till you’ve acclimated a little to the trucks before changing boards. For me, usually just tweaking my back foot’s position when popping gets me comfortable. I usually come off the tip a little and pop more in the middle of the tail, keeping my foot closer to the pocket.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine