Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747278 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5550 on: June 20, 2022, 09:28:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I read on here somewhere that the first batch of AF-1 (the first year) grinded sticky and the most recent this year grinded smooth. Can someone on this confirm who has had multiple pairs??
[close]

I think it just has to do with preferences ( and talking shit like the other person said). I got a pair of AF1s recently after only riding Indy and thunder and it took me a while to get comfortable grinding on them. It did feel a little sticky at first but once I got a bit of groove going it was fine
[close]

I had AF1's when they first came out and they 100% grinded like shit. I scooped the newest batch of 44's around beginning of spring/summer this year and they grind like they have ice in the alloy, they are amazing. Something definitely changed.

Definitely, and like I said my only comparison points were Thunders (which are pretty well known as being softer) and my super broken in Indys so of course brand new AF1s weren't going to feel like they grinded as well. There was just an adjustment period and it took a couple of curb sessions for me to really feel like they were grinding well.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 336
« Reply #5551 on: June 20, 2022, 11:00:02 AM »
14.38 wheelbase is a sweet spot I think, for both classics and AF1's. I'm noticing now 14-14.25 has me a little more sketch doing certain stuff.

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5552 on: June 22, 2022, 02:11:00 AM »
Expand Quote
What are your guys preferences for wheelbase on AF1's, especially those on 8.5's? When I mentioned I was making the switch to Ace's someone told me to be wary of wheelbase but I can't remember who or what the general rule of thumb is. I was skating Venture 5.6s on 8.5's with 14.5 wb's and my flat game was prolly the best it's ever been despite the fact I'd read Venture's pair up better with a shorter wb. On an 8.5 14.5 WB with 44 AF1's atm and my flat has gone to shit though it could also be the fact I jumped to full new setup and I'm still recovering from a fucked ankle so I don't have as much power as I'd like.
[close]
If you liked ventures on a 14.5, I wouldn’t recommend sizing down. If you’re riding flat decks, maybe consider riding something a little steeper but I’d wait till you’ve acclimated a little to the trucks before changing boards. For me, usually just tweaking my back foot’s position when popping gets me comfortable. I usually come off the tip a little and pop more in the middle of the tail, keeping my foot closer to the pocket.

I agree with the above. Just had my first slow session on dlx 8.38, 14.5 and af1 55s. Coming from pstix 8.25 and thunders. Defs less explosive pop but more floaty. Just try and get used to the timing as its significantly different but you can get the same yield with the correct technique.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5553 on: June 22, 2022, 03:04:30 AM »
good shit, will keep that in mind. definitely an adjustment period (went from 8.5/14.5, 5.6 ventures and prolly 48s to 8.5/14.5, af1 44s and 55mms) but i see what you mean about floatyness, seems like certain tricks literally float up - caught me off guard at first. definitely enjoying them so far.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5554 on: June 26, 2022, 08:26:01 AM »
What's aces RMA process or whatever? I'm not one to ever really complain to a company but I really don't think my front bushing and pivot cup should have blown the fuck out in around 2 weeks of fairly low impact skating...

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #5555 on: June 26, 2022, 10:53:23 AM »
Cyrus tagged ace in his newest post on ig,
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfRvWaIMm_l/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5556 on: June 26, 2022, 12:33:51 PM »
14.38 wheelbase is a sweet spot I think, for both classics and AF1's. I'm noticing now 14-14.25 has me a little more sketch doing certain stuff.

+1

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5557 on: June 26, 2022, 08:18:09 PM »
What's aces RMA process or whatever? I'm not one to ever really complain to a company but I really don't think my front bushing and pivot cup should have blown the fuck out in around 2 weeks of fairly low impact skating...

I think these two links cover it best.

https://www.acetrucks.com/faq

https://www.acetrucks.com/contact ***

*** They have a specific warranty option in black down below the contact info.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5558 on: June 26, 2022, 10:01:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed. I was on 14.5 for a minute but 14.38 really dialed it in. Side note as someone who said they would never switch from classics, I’m loving the Af1 55s
+1

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5559 on: June 27, 2022, 02:41:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ah thanks for that, submitted! Bit worried as there's a few factors playing into it. One being I'd purchased 44 classics and not AF1 but my local had a stock issue and just swapped them for AF1's instead (nice guys) but technically I only have a receipt for classics, not AF1's. Second, if you skip back a page or two when I initially got my AF1's, they seemed to not be performing as expected, which a user pointed out my top washer seemed deeper/more cupped (maybe defective/wrong size) and after swapping them with flat washers, the truck performed as expected, atleast up until the bushing and pivot cup decided to explode. Even with changing washers, I don't think 2 weeks of fairly low impact skating (coming back off an injury atm) should cause this:

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5560 on: June 27, 2022, 03:07:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ah thanks for that, submitted! Bit worried as there's a few factors playing into it. One being I'd purchased 44 classics and not AF1 but my local had a stock issue and just swapped them for AF1's instead (nice guys) but technically I only have a receipt for classics, not AF1's. Second, if you skip back a page or two when I initially got my AF1's, they seemed to not be performing as expected, which a user pointed out my top washer seemed deeper/more cupped (maybe defective/wrong size) and after swapping them with flat washers, the truck performed as expected, atleast up until the bushing and pivot cup decided to explode. Even with changing washers, I don't think 2 weeks of fairly low impact skating (coming back off an injury atm) should cause this:

Is the baseplate pushed out at the pivot cup too, or is that just the picture?

I know others had said there were issues from slappies / crooks with the baseplate being bent before - would probably be the same with the top bushing with the truck on the crooks angle and the washer cutting into the top bushing.

The shop could put in something, if that doesn't come through, as in take them back to the shop and the shop try to sort them out.

Curious to hear if or what happens regardless.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5561 on: June 27, 2022, 05:46:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know others had said there were issues from slappies / crooks with the baseplate being bent before - would probably be the same with the top bushing with the truck on the crooks angle and the washer cutting into the top bushing.

The shop could put in something, if that doesn't come through, as in take them back to the shop and the shop try to sort them out.

Not exactly sure what you mean by pushed out, here's some better pictures for reference though.

Slappy thing makes sense considering I'm coming back off a rolled ankle and all I've really done for the last week or so is mostly slappy noseslides. Still kinda shitty though considering my Venture's were sliding on the actual pivot cup for the last few weeks of their use and didn't give up the ghost, and these have fucked up within 2 weeks.

update: ace are gonna warranty me another set through my local  :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 09:00:46 AM by cosmicgypsies »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5562 on: June 27, 2022, 09:09:31 AM »

Seems like this is covered already but I emailed them with a warranty issue and I got super friendly, quick customer service. They asked where I bought the trucks, but never requested a receipt, and a well worn but bent set of Classic 44s were replaced quickly with AF-1 44s, no issue. Much better service than I’ve received more or less anywhere else in the skateboard industry.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5563 on: June 27, 2022, 09:29:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seems like this is covered already but I emailed them with a warranty issue and I got super friendly, quick customer service. They asked where I bought the trucks, but never requested a receipt, and a well worn but bent set of Classic 44s were replaced quickly with AF-1 44s, no issue. Much better service than I’ve received more or less anywhere else in the skateboard industry.

Yeah I dropped them a message this morning UK time and got a response an hour back, they're going to warranty them through their UK distro/my local shop :)

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5564 on: June 27, 2022, 10:10:17 AM »
ace customer service didn't even reply when i sent them an email regarding bent axles on a pair of aces.

IpathCats

« Reply #5565 on: June 27, 2022, 10:15:50 AM »
ace customer service didn't even reply when i sent them an email regarding bent axles on a pair of aces.

They can only answer so many emails about bent axels on classics each day. I'm sure there was a full time jobs worth of that before the af1's came out. haha.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5566 on: June 27, 2022, 10:22:44 AM »

I’d just send a follow-up email. If their warranty person’s work email is anything like mine, stuff slips through the cracks with some regularity.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5567 on: June 27, 2022, 03:02:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not exactly sure what you mean by pushed out, here's some better pictures for reference though.

Slappy thing makes sense considering I'm coming back off a rolled ankle and all I've really done for the last week or so is mostly slappy noseslides. Still kinda shitty though considering my Venture's were sliding on the actual pivot cup for the last few weeks of their use and didn't give up the ghost, and these have fucked up within 2 weeks.

Great news for you then!

I had seen a number of pivot cup areas on the baseplate had been pushed out by the hanger, so instead of the nice round hole, the pivot cup and hanger were sitting in an oval shaped hole, where the side of the baseplate had been pushed out, as per a number of earlier AF1 warranty claims people had posted earlier in this thread.

Hadn't seen it more recently though, so I was wondering if the shop had these from the first lot that did have all those issues back when they first came out.  It seemed like it was most commonly related to slappy crooks, not that the force and truck pinch should ever cause that sort of damage on near new trucks.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5568 on: June 27, 2022, 06:16:23 PM »
I just got some brand new AF-1s (the ones with the cool colors), and I've been skating them exclusively, and I do *a lot* of slappy crooks. Every now and then I think to check out the pivot cups and make sure nothing has happened, and thus far everything is great. I honestly have no complaints about these trucks, I think they are absolutely great. I certainly hope that they don't fail, but for now I am operating under the assumption that Ace has sorted out whatever kinks this truck may have had early in its life.

I honestly couldn't be happier with my Ace AF-1 44s. Super solid, a great truck for anyone coming form Independent or looking for a truck with more "character" and carve.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5569 on: June 27, 2022, 06:41:36 PM »
I just got some brand new AF-1s (the ones with the cool colors), and I've been skating them exclusively, and I do *a lot* of slappy crooks. Every now and then I think to check out the pivot cups and make sure nothing has happened, and thus far everything is great. I honestly have no complaints about these trucks, I think they are absolutely great. I certainly hope that they don't fail, but for now I am operating under the assumption that Ace has sorted out whatever kinks this truck may have had early in its life.

I honestly couldn't be happier with my Ace AF-1 44s. Super solid, a great truck for anyone coming form Independent or looking for a truck with more "character" and carve.

same with my af 55s. slappy crook is a pivot cup and bushing destroyer. before I switched to ace from thunder i just accepted I would be destroying pivot cup and bushings.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5570 on: June 27, 2022, 10:08:32 PM »
I'm about 3-4 sessions in on some AF1 55s, after 3 years on Ventures only (minus a brief stint on lurpivs and like two sessions on some thunders) and I'm pretty happy so far.

They're quite stable on center, more than I expected. The recessed wheelbase hasn't thrown me off too much, though when I land a bit off center the hangers articulate a lot more and I get thrown off easier, not as stable in that regard when rolling away. So I probably will end up setting them up with a 14.38-14.5 at some point (I skate ventures, and currently these on 14.25).

Had to get the hard bushings which feel perfect with the nut flush, the stock ones are a little too soft unless I have some threads showing which I don't want. I'm definitely running these tighter than your average ace rider probably, but I can still turn way sharper than my ventures which I ran looser than these, because lets face it ventures are still more stable.

They grind super nice on concrete and metal coping. Handles curbs and rough ledges wayyyy better than ventures. Those of you that say af1s dont grind well I don't know what you guys are on about lol.

Because the hangers articulate a lot more before hitting wheelbite, they don't quite hold a pinch the same as ventures. Probably a little worse overall, but can probably mitigate that by making some adjustments in how you sit on the crook. A benefit of this geometry (besides the turn of course) is that they seem to climb onto curbs much easier. On ventures there's some harder slappy tricks where I have to force my truck up onto the curb whereas these I can put my feet closer to the bolts/middle and it climbs up much more effortlessly. At first I was overshooting a bit.

I prefer the manual point on these a little bit more than on ventures too, which I found a little too stiff to lift.

Kingpin clearance is a lot worse sadly, not a dealbreaker, but not happy about it.

Recessed axles means more baseplate and less wheel contact on nose/tailslides, feels really nice.

The pop feel is very different, but kind of nice. I've figured out pretty much all my flatground tricks on it, some are slightly worse and some are slightly better. Basically had to scoot my popping foot a bit in, closer to the bolts than the tip of the tail to make the pop feel a little heavier and more similar to my ventures.

Don't feel like I've lost out on pop. Never thought that the heft of ventures gave me more pop, as my jump+technique definitely the limiting factor and any truck delivers enough yield, but ventures probably gave me a more consistent, reliable snap if I put some effort into it. On aces I can achieve that too if I want, though maybe ever so slightly less predictably, but I can also do some flip tricks a lot more easily because instead of popping very hard, I can just give it a light tap. All in all the pop feel is different, but adapted to it pretty quick, its a bit better for some things a bit worse for others but I'm happy with it overall.

Probably will keep my venture setup around and set the aces up on a bigger board but definitely pleasantly surprised, was expecting to struggle more with adjusting.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 10:47:20 PM by tzhangdox »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5571 on: June 28, 2022, 12:50:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Great news for you then!

I had seen a number of pivot cup areas on the baseplate had been pushed out by the hanger, so instead of the nice round hole, the pivot cup and hanger were sitting in an oval shaped hole, where the side of the baseplate had been pushed out, as per a number of earlier AF1 warranty claims people had posted earlier in this thread.

Hadn't seen it more recently though, so I was wondering if the shop had these from the first lot that did have all those issues back when they first came out.  It seemed like it was most commonly related to slappy crooks, not that the force and truck pinch should ever cause that sort of damage on near new trucks.

yeah, I think it's more than plausible I simply had an older set. Not many people in my area typically skate Ace's so there's always the chance they've been sitting on stock for a while, which does cause some concern as obviously Ace being a US based company are doing the RMA process through their UK distribution/my local shop, but I don't know if that means the UK dist will ship a newer set of AF1's to the shop for me to collect, or if the shop will pull a set from their inventory and Ace will reimburse.

Whilst I can't slappy crook I've definitely been hitting the slappy noseslides heavily as of late since I pretty much just learned them in the last few weeks. It's kind of funny looking back at it because initially I was doing switch slappy nose variations mostly off the ends of ledges as a bonk out, so sw slappy nose 270 out, 270 shove out etc. It took me a while to learn how to slide them, but by bashing into it and basically locking my front shoulder/direction to stop it turning, I started sliding them. Could never do them regular as I'd just stick, and for some reason it took me a good few months to realize it was exactly the same as doing them switch with locking the shoulder in place etc. Feels a bit weird being so hyped on learning fundamental 13 year old kid tricks at the age of 26 but fuck it I'm having a great time :)

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5572 on: June 28, 2022, 03:54:29 AM »
Ran my Ace Classics yesterday. Bought them in January 2021 and I have had a session with them here and there after they broke in. Yesterday they felt stiff compared to Indys and had less depth of turn. I have this concrete snakerun thingy in my area and with Indys I can effortlessly flow through the curves and bumps, but with Classics I got wheel lift in a similar line and felt restricted. Also Indys felt way carvier and loose in a mini bowl. The mini bowl was seriously almost unrideable on Classics. In my mind I thought Ace Classics would be the perfect truck for such a purpose. Surprisngly, I did experience more stability with Aces, ollies felt much more solid and controlled than with tippy Indies and instead of riding the bowls I started to enjoy myself on the ledges in the park.

So is this normal or do the bushings stiffen up over time? This screams bushing issues to me, but I'm just trying to figure out how much of what I described can be attributed to the character of the trucks, given that they are lower than Indys. The park is new and I haven't pitted Ace and Indy against each other like that before. It would be so nice if I could experience the stability I did yesterday with Aces, but also have a nice deep turn. I'm quite dumbfounded the Indys outcarved the Aces that badly. Should I look at AF1?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 04:42:51 AM by mbam003 »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5573 on: June 28, 2022, 05:11:38 AM »
Ran my Ace Classics yesterday. Bought them in January 2021 and I have had a session with them here and there after they broke in. Yesterday they felt stiff compared to Indys and had less depth of turn. I have this concrete snakerun thingy in my area and with Indys I can effortlessly flow through the curves and bumps, but with Classics I got wheel lift in a similar line and felt restricted. Also Indys felt way carvier and loose in a mini bowl. The mini bowl was seriously almost unrideable on Classics. In my mind I thought Ace Classics would be the perfect truck for such a purpose. Surprisngly, I did experience more stability with Aces, ollies felt much more solid and controlled than with tippy Indies and instead of riding the bowls I started to enjoy myself on the ledges in the park.

So is this normal or do the bushings stiffen up over time? This screams bushing issues to me, but I'm just trying to figure out how much of what I described can be attributed to the character of the trucks, given that they are lower than Indys. The park is new and I haven't pitted Ace and Indy against each other like that before. It would be so nice if I could experience the stability I did yesterday with Aces, but also have a nice deep turn. I'm quite dumbfounded the Indys outcarved the Aces that badly. Should I look at AF1?

This is in no way normal for Ace Classics. They turn even better than AF1s. Look into replacing the shit washers Ace Classics sometimes have and if that doesn’t help, get new bushings.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5574 on: June 28, 2022, 06:27:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is in no way normal for Ace Classics. They turn even better than AF1s. Look into replacing the shit washers Ace Classics sometimes have and if that doesn’t help, get new bushings.

I do remember them having a deep turn in the beginning and Indys seeming much more stable in comparison. Definitely seems like the bushings have turned into stone over time. Do the regular "Classic" bushings they're selling work for both AF1 and Classic? That aside AF1s look so interesting, whereas dropping 10€ on bushings not so much ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 06:37:28 AM by mbam003 »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5575 on: June 28, 2022, 09:47:44 AM »
I’d start with them a bit tighter and then keep loosening them up until they are unsafe…..I think the key to an ace is the last part of the turn where you would normally wheel bite, it almost turns backwards on you.

Tzhang, that’s a great breakdown comparing the two…..I think the articulation makes slappies way easier… frontside you can almost hit the curb straight on and jam heel, and the truck makes contact. 

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5576 on: June 29, 2022, 05:55:00 AM »
Picked my replacements up today, didn't have the raws in stock which I would've preferred but these will be fine and kinda works out better as the blue/orange baseplate pairs are from the spring drop of AF1's so I know I'm not getting old stock from the first batches of AF1's with the qc/baseplate issues etc. Grabbed a shop tee in collab with dlx too, gonz art.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #5577 on: June 29, 2022, 06:03:30 AM »
Picked my replacements up today, didn't have the raws in stock which I would've preferred but these will be fine and kinda works out better as the blue/orange baseplate pairs are from the spring drop of AF1's so I know I'm not getting old stock from the first batches of AF1's with the qc/baseplate issues etc. Grabbed a shop tee in collab with dlx too, gonz art.

That's a huge win, they look amazing

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5578 on: June 29, 2022, 11:34:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's a huge win, they look amazing
Shirt be lookin hella ty-ty, too!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5579 on: June 29, 2022, 11:50:30 AM »
Those pivot cups will still rip, just a warning. They haven't fixed that yet. Get the rock hard Indy ones that come stock in their trucks (not sure if the aftermarkets are the same) and you'll be good.