Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747466 times)

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6780 on: January 07, 2024, 10:53:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Is it possible to run af1 axles on classic baseplates or will my trucks get messed up? Tried them like that quickly and they feel great. Classics baseplate and bushings, Af1 60s axle.
[close]

Ace will tell you no but anything is possible. Mofos mix and match brands. Bam is mixing a Thunder front with an Ace back truck. There are no rules. Be safe, grind hard and let us know how it goes.

I was in that belief they dont match because of slightly different geometry. But after a quick test, they function like classics. I'll report back whenever I get a proper session with them.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 308
« Reply #6781 on: January 07, 2024, 05:14:15 PM »
Are Classics 52 or 53mm tall?

pops

« Reply #6782 on: January 07, 2024, 09:07:40 PM »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6783 on: January 07, 2024, 10:13:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

52mm.

That reminded me to go check the Ace size / info chart again - they still haven't fixed it and have Classics at 55 mm tall, which is incorrect.

Ace Classics 52 mm tall (as you said)

Ace AF1 53 mm tall

Ace AF1 Low at 49 mm tall.

https://www.acetrucks.com/sizing-chart

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6784 on: January 08, 2024, 02:58:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Is it possible to run af1 axles on classic baseplates or will my trucks get messed up? Tried them like that quickly and they feel great. Classics baseplate and bushings, Af1 60s axle.
[close]

i’m sure @BartHarleyJarvis or one of those other fiendish truck dr moreau types has gone in….ace classic turn with a stronger hanger. could be sick.

This is such a funny call out. I am admittedly a truck hoarder, but I'm not a Dr. Truckenstein a la @PuffinMuffin 

The most i've done is put some ace hard bushings on AF1s, otherwise all my trucks are stock!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6785 on: January 08, 2024, 04:32:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i’m sure @BartHarleyJarvis or one of those other fiendish truck dr moreau types has gone in….ace classic turn with a stronger hanger. could be sick.
[close]

This is such a funny call out. I am admittedly a truck hoarder, but I'm not a Dr. Truckenstein a la @PuffinMuffin 

The most i've done is put some ace hard bushings on AF1s, otherwise all my trucks are stock!

mistaken identity! i fucked up.
i thought it was you that was putting the ace hangers on the indy baseplate (bass-ackwards move imo, so now i hafta eeeextra apologize: my b!)

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6786 on: January 08, 2024, 04:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

mistaken identity! i fucked up.
i thought it was you that was putting the ace hangers on the indy baseplate (bass-ackwards move imo, so now i hafta eeeextra apologize: my b!)

I am a sicko, but I ain't THAT sick

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #6787 on: January 12, 2024, 07:43:57 PM »
I missed having a wider board around so I recently bought a few blood wizard 8.5s (8.5x31.5x14.25) and set one up with Ace 60 lows, 1/16 risers, and 51mm spitfires. Gonna try and take it out to a curb spot this weekend.

They’re incredibly loose even with a couple threads showing. I’ve gotten so used to Thunders that it’s a little jarring. Anyone try Ace low hard bushings? Do they still allow for a deep carve without the crazy squirrelly feeling?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6788 on: January 12, 2024, 07:46:28 PM »
I missed having a wider board around so I recently bought a few blood wizard 8.5s (8.5x31.5x14.25) and set one up with Ace 60 lows, 1/16 risers, and 51mm spitfires. Gonna try and take it out to a curb spot this weekend.

They’re incredibly loose even with a couple threads showing. I’ve gotten so used to Thunders that it’s a little jarring. Anyone try Ace low hard bushings? Do they still allow for a deep carve without the crazy squirrelly feeling?

Yes. 100% do it. My ace lows with hards might be my favorite set of trucks right now

@big_kev_215 can corroborate

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6789 on: January 12, 2024, 07:53:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes. 100% do it. My ace lows with hards might be my favorite set of trucks right now

Thanks for the confirmation! Just bought a set.

pops

« Reply #6790 on: January 12, 2024, 09:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

52mm.
[close]

That reminded me to go check the Ace size / info chart again - they still haven't fixed it and have Classics at 55 mm tall, which is incorrect.

Ace AF1 53 mm tall

It says 98mm actually, but 2,2".  ;D

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6791 on: January 12, 2024, 11:45:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

52mm.
[close]

Ace AF1 53 mm tall

[close]

I'm sorry... Come again?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6792 on: January 13, 2024, 04:26:44 AM »
98mm is 3.8’ ?  Typo.

But yeah. 2.2” is 55mm. It’s off
From another thread

Expand Quote
[close]

Your Ace data seems off. Here are the correct heights (and yes, the Ace website gives the wrong info):

Ace Classics 52 mm 
Ace AF1 53 mm
Ace AF1 Low 49 mm

pops

« Reply #6793 on: January 13, 2024, 07:38:55 AM »
98mm is 3.8’ ?  Typo.

But yeah. 2.2” is 55mm. It’s off
From another thread

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Your Ace data seems off. Here are the correct heights (and yes, the Ace website gives the wrong info):

Ace Classics 52 mm 
Ace AF1 53 mm
Ace AF1 Low 49 mm
[close]

Yeah it's a typo, the 98mm is the width of Classic 00 hanger.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #6794 on: January 13, 2024, 11:36:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the confirmation! Just bought a set.

Agreed - I had Ace lows twice.  The first time was with the stock bushings and they were unskateably loose (I ride pretty loose trucks too and they weren’t working for me).  This time, per @BartHarleyJarvis ’s recommendation, I got the low hard bushings and it makes an incredible amount of difference.  I never tighten my trucks and I can now skate the lows with the kingpin nut flush and they’re totally skateable.  The trucks still turn great with the hard bushings.  Been skating this set for like five months and haven’t had any problems…

Dad Board

« Reply #6795 on: January 13, 2024, 12:39:08 PM »

I just went through a similar situation. I was on AF1’s for like 2 years and then switched to thunders on a whim, got really used to those and then tried going back to a new set of aces and felt like I was skating on a waterbed. I ended up setting up an older set of AF1’s to test a theory and although they were way more surfy than I had conditioned myself to be comfortable with over the course of about 5 months riding thunders, they are far more manageable with broken in bushings. You just gotta skate them and suffer through the break in period I suppose. Gotta say though, after one session having that AF1 turn and response back, I’m in love all over again. 

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6796 on: January 13, 2024, 02:25:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just went through a similar situation. I was on AF1’s for like 2 years and then switched to thunders on a whim, got really used to those and then tried going back to a new set of aces and felt like I was skating on a waterbed. I ended up setting up an older set of AF1’s to test a theory and although they were way more surfy than I had conditioned myself to be comfortable with over the course of about 5 months riding thunders, they are far more manageable with broken in bushings. You just gotta skate them and suffer through the break in period I suppose. Gotta say though, after one session having that AF1 turn and response back, I’m in love all over again.

I had a diff experience I felt like I liked the af1 more when the bushings were fresh and when they broke in they were way too surfy and I’d have to keep tightening to try and be less wiggly and eventually get new bushings or just get used to a looser truck. I was riding af1 44 on 8.38 so slight magic carpet probably added to that. On the other hand I love the classic 55s on my wider setup they’re turny and fun but still have some of the stability I didn’t have on the af1

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6797 on: January 13, 2024, 02:35:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

52mm.
[close]

Ace AF1 53 mm tall

[close]

* Sorry probably late to the party again.

Is that on the mobile version?

It comes up like this on the computer version / on my computer, but that could also be a cached image:

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6798 on: January 13, 2024, 02:52:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I had a diff experience I felt like I liked the af1 more when the bushings were fresh and when they broke in they were way too surfy and I’d have to keep tightening to try and be less wiggly and eventually get new bushings or just get used to a looser truck. I was riding af1 44 on 8.38 so slight magic carpet probably added to that. On the other hand I love the classic 55s on my wider setup they’re turny and fun but still have some of the stability I didn’t have on the af1

I have definitely seen a few different things with new stock Ace truck bushings, some being so super squishy that just don't firm up at all it seemed, others that actually started off super stiff and then slowly softened up over time.  These all appeared to be the same bushings too, so it was a bit funny, all on boards that other people had set up.

Just had a roll on a few boards with second hand Ace trucks on them that I hadn't touched in a month and all the bushings felt really good, just right and nicely worn in which made me think that if I had some that I could have a few sessions on here and there, then leave for a bit, they would then feel way better when I got them out again.

Of course this doesn't work for most people - you get trucks, you need to skate, you don't have a session on a board and leave it for a month, etc.

My normal go to for any new bushings on any board is have a roll / session on my mini ramp, more just rolling, turning and wearing them in than anything else and they almost always come up so well after one or sometimes two sessions if they just didn't quite get there in the first session.

Other times putting in new bushings and then skating normally elsewhere, they often do weird things, sometimes split or crumble a bit, so just wearing any new bushings in very gently really does help to make them last well.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6799 on: January 13, 2024, 06:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

my biggest issue with ace, is that i cannot find a deck size that consistently yields decent pop for me.
af1 44s and i cannot ollie for shit.
ace classic 55s, however, are the shit. best pop
i’ve gotten out of any ace. not sure if it’s the wider setup more stability?

pops

« Reply #6800 on: January 13, 2024, 09:50:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

52mm.
[close]

Ace AF1 53 mm tall

[close]

[close]

* Sorry probably late to the party again.

Is that on the mobile version?

It comes up like this on the computer version / on my computer, but that could also be a cached image:

Yes, on mobile version it says 98mm.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

my biggest issue with ace, is that i cannot find a deck size that consistently yields decent pop for me.
af1 44s and i cannot ollie for shit.
ace classic 55s, however, are the shit. best pop
i’ve gotten out of any ace. not sure if it’s the wider setup more stability?

Same. I get better pop overall stability on Classics. Af1 66s were so heavy I couldn't handle them anywhere. I keep Af1s 55 or 60 w/ hard bushings on my cruiser and Classic 55 are for everything else.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6801 on: January 14, 2024, 09:11:03 AM »
Funny how a good few people have landed on the Classic 55 being the quintessential Ace model...

I panic bought a set over the holidays b/c I have an irrational fear they will be discontinued.  My best kick flips and tre flips over the last few years have been on Classic 55s... I can't explain why. its a 9" wide truck for chrissakes.

Been using Ace hard bushings in them recently also with great results.

I'm a broken record but a classic 60 would be dreamy... in theory...

pops

« Reply #6802 on: January 14, 2024, 09:53:55 AM »
Funny how a good few people have landed on the Classic 55 being the quintessential Ace model...

I panic bought a set over the holidays b/c I have an irrational fear they will be discontinued.  My best kick flips and tre flips over the last few years have been on Classic 55s... I can't explain why. its a 9" wide truck for chrissakes.

Did you like them more with the hard bushings? I set up a cruiser with classics and hard bushings but haven't ridden it yet. Ace be damned if they discontinue the classics.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6803 on: January 14, 2024, 10:02:48 AM »
Yes but mainly b/c they are on a board with big wheels and I don't want to go bigger than 1/8" risers. Typically I prefer the stock bushings.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6804 on: January 14, 2024, 05:01:30 PM »
Following up, I put hard bottom and stock top bushings in my 60 lows and they feel great for me tightened a little less than flush with the kingpin. Had a really fun curb session after spending the majority of last year on 8-8.25 boards at parks. Still getting used to a larger setup but so far so good

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #6805 on: January 14, 2024, 11:28:46 PM »

I got the verniers out and measured everything I had laying around. This ended up the same geometry. Only tried it indoors and it felt kinda loose in the middle and quickly went into wheel lifting territory.

Took them out and put Ace hards in. I'm gonna get a 8.75 popsicle with a longer wheelbase than the Dane1 and try one last time to use these for transition.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #6806 on: January 19, 2024, 12:37:00 AM »

When I had my 55 classics on an 8.75 popsicle I had the most pop I’ve had in my life. Unfortunately on the 9.5 Bolin 2 I’m finding I can’t pop for shit! I’m sure there’s not that much difference in the weight, not sure what I’m sucking so hard on this board 😪
Considering going 60 hollow AF1 and back to an 8.75…

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6807 on: January 19, 2024, 02:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When I had my 55 classics on an 8.75 popsicle I had the most pop I’ve had in my life. Unfortunately on the 9.5 Bolin 2 I’m finding I can’t pop for shit! I’m sure there’s not that much difference in the weight, not sure what I’m sucking so hard on this board 😪
Considering going 60 hollow AF1 and back to an 8.75…

classic 55s were my easiest popping ace experience. classic 44s i had one setup that worked, same with classic 33s.
af1 44s i’ve never had a lot of pop with.
something about those classic 55s

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6808 on: January 30, 2024, 05:10:15 PM »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6809 on: January 30, 2024, 06:30:20 PM »

I saw this earlier and someone in the comments mentioned that AF1 low baseplates and AF1 standard hangers are compatible. Does anyone know what the height would be with this combo?