Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747370 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6810 on: January 30, 2024, 06:54:23 PM »
Aren't the hangers exactly the same between? I think its just the base plate that adjusts the height...

Check out Joey T's Chop Shop.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 07:04:20 PM by Frank and Fred »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6811 on: January 30, 2024, 09:04:38 PM »
Aren't the hangers exactly the same between? I think its just the base plate that adjusts the height...

interesting if true.
the chop shop has me wanting to try some low baseplates

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6812 on: January 31, 2024, 06:32:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

interesting if true.
This is correct, the AF1 hanger is the same regardless of Low or Standard. It's only the baseplate configuration that makes a Low a low. I've been running hollow AF1 hangers (from standard height AF1s) on AF1 Low baseplates for over a year now (similar to the setup in that ig post, except for the weird bushing setup he's got going on) 

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6813 on: January 31, 2024, 03:50:41 PM »
I was surprised cause the AF1 is stronger but I rocked those 44 lows for awhile and went through two front baseplates cause the kingpins got loose as hell. I know their warranty is great and they've sorted be out before but I never bothered. Frankentrucking these days. Those 55 lows in that post look sexy as hell :-*

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6814 on: January 31, 2024, 04:56:48 PM »
Just gonna throw in here that slappy hangers fit on AF-1 baseplates with no wheelbase or height change and grind much better :)

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #6815 on: January 31, 2024, 04:59:53 PM »
I, too, have been running low baseplates and hollow AF-1 hangers for a while. 

Make sure to get the low bushings.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #6816 on: February 01, 2024, 06:38:31 AM »
Just gonna throw in here that slappy hangers fit on AF-1 baseplates with no wheelbase or height change and grind much better :)

Got me curious about hollow Slappy hanger on af1 low baseplate.  Or maybe Slappy lows will exist by the time I can skate again

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6817 on: February 01, 2024, 04:00:24 PM »
I’m so pissed, almost brand new set of gold AF1’s and I’m having the same defect that happened to me with two other sets of the hollows last year (one of which was a replacement set they sent me which also were defective)  I can tighten and loosen the nut on one axle all the way down, which means my wheel can essentially come off while skating when the nut rattles loose. Idk why I keep giving this company money. Anyone else have this or am I just incredibly unlucky with AF1’s?

i mean, i haven’t had the problems some have had with ace. the classics used to bend, and it just never really bothered me.
the pivot cups on my af1s are too loose, but other than that, the trucks have seemed quality.
as to why you keep buying them: i used to break venture featherlights. and then just buy more venture featherlights. the design was what i wanted.
if i was skating a dad board, rails and slappies and that, id probably use ace too. its $60 bucks who gives a shit. i can’t walk outside without spending $20 on something i don’t even like .

edit*** most reasonable would give a shit. i’m always broke because i’m willing to spend whatever on fleeting happiness
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 04:11:29 PM by Ok »

Dad Board

« Reply #6818 on: February 01, 2024, 04:18:24 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m so pissed, almost brand new set of gold AF1’s and I’m having the same defect that happened to me with two other sets of the hollows last year (one of which was a replacement set they sent me which also were defective)  I can tighten and loosen the nut on one axle all the way down, which means my wheel can essentially come off while skating when the nut rattles loose. Idk why I keep giving this company money. Anyone else have this or am I just incredibly unlucky with AF1’s?
[close]

i mean, i haven’t had the problems some have had with ace. the classics used to bend, and it just never really bothered me.
the pivot cups on my af1s are too loose, but other than that, the trucks have seemed quality.
as to why you keep buying them: i used to break venture featherlights. and then just buy more venture featherlights. the design was what i wanted.
if i was skating a dad board, rails and slappies and that, id probably use ace too. its $60 bucks who gives a shit. i can’t walk outside without spending $20 on something i don’t even like .

edit*** most reasonable would give a shit. i’m always broke because i’m willing to spend whatever on fleeting happiness

Ok so after raging for a solid 20 minutes I decided to try again. I rethreaded the axle in a desperate attempt to make them work even though that technically shouldn’t fix this issue, then I dug around my scrap parts box for a few random axle nuts and magically found one that was tight enough to stay on, which is why I came back and deleted my post. I’m still bummed that I’ve had this issue 3 times on 3 separate trucks but if the wheel stays on that’s all I’m asking for. I love the geometry and feel of AF1’s so I’m happy they’re working.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6819 on: February 01, 2024, 04:20:44 PM »

That's a very cheap and easy fix. New nylock axle nuts. $1.50 for all four should do it...

herecomesaregular

« Reply #6820 on: February 01, 2024, 04:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Got me curious about hollow Slappy hanger on af1 low baseplate.  Or maybe Slappy lows will exist by the time I can skate again

Give it a shot! Should work the same as others using af-1 standard on low baseplate

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6821 on: February 01, 2024, 09:07:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's a very cheap and easy fix. New nylock axle nuts. $1.50 for all four should do it...

It's a funny one, cause some people I know have had so many problems with the Ace nuts, so they keep a supply of normal nuts and swap them out right away, never using the Ace rethreading nuts at all.

The company have said they have upgraded to a longer lasting nyloc on their nuts now, or maybe for future truck deliveries, maybe not what is in shops now, so it is a valid point and they are aware of it.

At least compared to some other issues, it sure is the easiest thing to fix, compared to with kingpins coming loose, or pivot cups / pivot areas blowing out and bending the baseplate, hangers bending or axle slip.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #6822 on: February 01, 2024, 11:01:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

interesting if true.
[close]
This is correct, the AF1 hanger is the same regardless of Low or Standard. It's only the baseplate configuration that makes a Low a low. I've been running hollow AF1 hangers (from standard height AF1s) on AF1 Low baseplates for over a year now (similar to the setup in that ig post, except for the weird bushing setup he's got going on)

Thanks all for the clarifications!

Dmng

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6823 on: February 04, 2024, 11:28:17 AM »
I also had to change my wheel bolts on AF1 as I could turn two bolts bare hands. Very cheap change because my local skate shop gave me the bolt for free but it’s a shame to over engineer those bolts if they don’t really do the simple job

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6824 on: February 05, 2024, 06:06:34 AM »
I also had to change my wheel bolts axle nuts on AF1 as I could turn two bolts nuts bare hands. Very cheap change because my local skate shop gave me the bolt nut for free but it’s a shame to over engineer those bolts nuts if they don’t really do the simple job

And yea, i agree the rethreading mechanism worked into the nut was silly. Def an instance of overengineering. The rethreading die that came with the trucks was enough.

Dmng

« Reply #6825 on: February 05, 2024, 06:21:53 AM »
Sorry English is not my native language, thanks for the correction :)

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6826 on: February 05, 2024, 07:26:58 AM »
Sorry English is not my native language, thanks for the correction :)

no apology necessary!

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #6827 on: February 08, 2024, 04:19:51 AM »

I just inverted the kingpins on a set of AF-1 Baseplates with the intention of putting them on my cruiser with AF-1 hangers, but now I'm thinking of combining them with the Slappy hangers on my main setup. Thank you for sharing this; I can't wait to give this combination a go. If it works for me, I'll either buy another set of AF-1 baseplates for my cruiser, or see if that Slappy baseplate works with an AF-1 hanger. If not, I'll put the hangers back with the baseplates they left the factory with.
RIP Ben Raemers

Dmng

« Reply #6828 on: February 08, 2024, 08:26:27 AM »

So they behave just the same except the grinding being better ? Interesting ! Slappy hollow would make ace quite a bit lighter as well right ? If I’m right there is a 40g difference between ace af1 and slapping hollow, would it be mostly in the hangers ?

herecomesaregular

« Reply #6829 on: February 08, 2024, 04:52:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup as far as I can tell it feels exactly the same way for turns/pop/etc but grinds faster/longer/easier. Not sure on weight but my af-1s are hollow so…
So they behave just the same except the grinding being better ? Interesting ! Slappy hollow would make ace quite a bit lighter as well right ? If I’m right there is a 40g difference between ace af1 and slapping hollow, would it be mostly in the hangers ?

ridethegutter

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6830 on: February 14, 2024, 12:26:38 PM »
I just tried out the slappy hollow hanger with the ace low baseplate. It actually feels pretty nice.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6831 on: February 14, 2024, 07:08:16 PM »
jordan trahan footy might get me to try ace lows
whats the word from the 5 people here who ride em
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6832 on: February 14, 2024, 07:15:38 PM »

They rock, though I prefer the hard bushings.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6833 on: February 14, 2024, 07:24:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

is he still skating the lows?
couple of folks that used to post more frequently, started skating the af-1 lows. i took their quietude to insinuate that the trucks were really good.

and with ace’s low baseplate, you could make a 9” low.

i want to try them. i’m venture. but. on the very few setups i’ve had that i could good pop out of aces on, the pop was so light and lovely. i want something easy like that rn.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #6834 on: February 14, 2024, 07:30:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

couple of folks that used to post more frequently, started skating the af-1 lows. i took their quietude to insinuate that the trucks were really good.

i want to try them. i’m venture. but. on the very few setups i’ve had that i could good pop out of aces on, the pop was so light and lovely. i want something easy like that rn.
@BartHarleyJarvis told me the plates are the same height
lows are different in the hangers

i think they would go great with a wide & steep deck
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 07:54:02 PM by munchbox »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6835 on: February 14, 2024, 08:16:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

maybe i got this incorrect, but i thought it was all in the baseplate.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6836 on: February 14, 2024, 08:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

As far as I can tell from mine, the baseplate is the same as standard AF1. I sent some pictures to munchbox but I unfortunately don’t own any calipers to confirm

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
« Reply #6837 on: February 14, 2024, 08:24:41 PM »
Picking up my first set of Ace AF1s this weekend. Lifelong Indy guy to this point. Stoked to try them out on tranny.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6838 on: February 14, 2024, 08:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

As far as I can tell from mine, the baseplate is the same as standard AF1. I sent some pictures to munchbox but I unfortunately don’t own any calipers to confirm

According to JT's chop shop it looks like the baseplates are different but the hangers are the same between AF1s and AF1 lows.

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6839 on: February 15, 2024, 06:06:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea the baseplates are different, you can interchange hangars, I’ve been riding my set since they came, Ace hard bushings and I’ve been pretty happy with them, was riding venture before the metal is softer but the turn even with the lows is nice, Jordan trahan has switched back to the highs, that video of him was one of the reason I wanted a pair too, asked him a couple questions over dm (like a man) and he said he was back on the highs, I however have the lows and live them, I skate mellow boards though and am mostly low impact
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog