Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 383096 times)

doublesteveburger

Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2640 on: August 31, 2022, 10:12:07 AM »
was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining 'day shift' was, jamie foxx still has it

watch this with the mind state that it's going to be absurd and silly and you'll have a good time

also eat some steak and potatoes while watching it like i did

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2641 on: August 31, 2022, 11:19:38 AM »
was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining 'day shift' was, jamie foxx still has it

watch this with the mind state that it's going to be absurd and silly and you'll have a good time

also eat some steak and potatoes while watching it like i did

the vampire angle was fun, i enjoy gun kata movies

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2642 on: September 01, 2022, 03:04:28 PM »
Expand Quote
I remember watching "Knight Rider" in syndication when I was a boy and even seeing the KITT car at Universal Studios during a trip as a youth, and thinking the concept for the show (and the car) was pretty cool.  I was looking for something to watch on Netflix the other night, so I started watching the old episodes, and it's pretty fun to watch. I know it's cheesy sometimes and, from what I've read, later episodes got kinda bad. But I was shocked to see the original 1982 series only ran for 4 seasons.

I know they've done a number of subsequent TV movies and failed reboot series (that looked pretty wack) but I would be onboard for a gritty reimagining of the "Knight Rider" franchise if it took itself seriously and didn't pull any punches, kind of like how Antoine Fuqua and Denzel Washington reimagined "The Equalizer".  Maybe an R-rated Knight Rider feature film with Ryan Gosling or something. Seems like a cool property with a lot of untapped potential. I think I like the original "KR" series more than "The A-Team" or most other hour-long 80s action shows.
[close]

I peeped knight rider when it dropped.  Damn good show to watch.  Been on a 80s-90s tv show binge too
Miami Vice still goes so so hard. Holy shit guest stars and needle drops, the supporting cast is great, Crockett is a hillbilly straight up and Tubbs is really that cool. Every once in a while, the writing is legitimately great on an episode and even the clangers are entertaining as hell.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2643 on: September 03, 2022, 10:10:22 AM »
New Lord of the Rings fucking slaps.  Been extremely anticipating this show for so many years now and absolutely loved the first two episodes.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #2644 on: September 03, 2022, 07:33:07 PM »
I agree on LOTR.  I’m excited for the rest of the series.  Been seeing a lot of dumb criticism by all these wannabe Tolkien scholars, but I really enjoyed the first two episodes
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #2645 on: September 04, 2022, 04:49:38 AM »
Watched the new Elvis movie on hbo the other night and really liked it. Austin Butler does a great job as Elvis.  They did incorporate modern day music in to some montage scenes though, which I don’t really like.

Get hungry on it!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2646 on: September 07, 2022, 10:17:46 PM »
Has anyone watched all of the walking dead? I kinda checked out after season 3 or something but saw bits up until last year. Felt like rewatching just season 1 and the zombies break into a run and pick up rocks to smash windows and shit. Is this ever explained or is it just early show hasn't ironed out all the kinks yet?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2647 on: September 07, 2022, 10:25:27 PM »
Has anyone watched all of the walking dead? I kinda checked out after season 3 or something but saw bits up until last year. Felt like rewatching just season 1 and the zombies break into a run and pick up rocks to smash windows and shit. Is this ever explained or is it just early show hasn't ironed out all the kinks yet?

The show went through major creative reshuffles so there never weren’t not kinks- everyone failed in their own way, but season 1 was TWD at its best.   (Kinks like that also don’t quite make sense when you have source material but I’ve never compared the two)

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #2648 on: September 07, 2022, 10:56:17 PM »
Everything I've watched lately I've loved, or hated, or thought was okay. That might just be me, though.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2649 on: September 07, 2022, 11:47:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The show went through major creative reshuffles so there never weren’t not kinks- everyone failed in their own way, but season 1 was TWD at its best.   (Kinks like that also don’t quite make sense when you have source material but I’ve never compared the two)
I've been told the source material to show is a bit like the og X-Men movies where they liked the general idea of some characters and themes but basically just wrote their own stuff. (Altho the person that told me this is one of those guys that misses the point of almost every movie).
I guess they could also just explain the season 1 difference as no the zombies didn't run they were just walking very quickly

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #2650 on: September 08, 2022, 05:33:47 AM »
I agree on LOTR.  I’m excited for the rest of the series.  Been seeing a lot of dumb criticism by all these wannabe Tolkien scholars, but I really enjoyed the first two episodes

Exactly this.  After the Hobbit disaster I didn’t have high hopes but they’ve knocked it out of the park, I’m loving it just as much as I did the first movie.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2651 on: September 08, 2022, 05:38:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I've been told the source material to show is a bit like the og X-Men movies where they liked the general idea of some characters and themes but basically just wrote their own stuff. (Altho the person that told me this is one of those guys that misses the point of almost every movie).
I guess they could also just explain the season 1 difference as no the zombies didn't run they were just walking very quickly

TWD show is pretty much exactly like the comics from what I remember.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2652 on: September 08, 2022, 10:08:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah I think they hit the same story beats more or less, but have to stretch out story lines past the breaking point because of the nature of tv budgets, etc

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2653 on: September 08, 2022, 10:57:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah I think they hit the same story beats more or less, but have to stretch out story lines past the breaking point because of the nature of tv budgets, etc
It's essentially remixed. Different characters die in the same way in the same scenario as another character in the comic or other times there will be a character death that's a lock from the comic but it will go down different. The main story beats are mostly identical. It's the difference between pen and ink vs logistics, contracts and schedules.

As far as the pilot goes, call it The Very Quickly Walking Dead.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #2654 on: September 14, 2022, 11:00:30 AM »
I came across this one recently on youtube:
https://youtu.be/zFJg-lU4J7U

It's a fake story set about in a real time in when the halifax police were on strike in '81
there is a primitive yet quite memorable synth song that I can't get out of my head.

here's the full version:
https://youtu.be/YdBuvSqxZ6s
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #2655 on: September 14, 2022, 11:04:00 AM »
I need to checkout that LOTR series...

I started watching The Patient on Hulu. Steve Carrell plays a psychiatrist that gets kidnapped and held hostage by one of his patients. So far its pretty good, not amazing but I am enjoying steve's character
https://youtu.be/LpmMxXfBn-Y

if you look in the bg around :19 you might see a spot that's been hit a lot recently...

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2656 on: September 14, 2022, 11:09:44 AM »
started Cyberpunk last night...it slaps if youre into anime

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2657 on: September 14, 2022, 11:14:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
It's essentially remixed. Different characters die in the same way in the same scenario as another character in the comic or other times there will be a character death that's a lock from the comic but it will go down different. The main story beats are mostly identical. It's the difference between pen and ink vs logistics, contracts and schedules.

As far as the pilot goes, call it The Very Quickly Walking Dead.
ended up watching much more than just series 1 and I think rather than just the quickly walking dead it's the "do whatever the story needs them to for a scene we want dead"

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #2658 on: September 20, 2022, 02:56:26 PM »
Blasted through "The Resort" on Peacock.

Dug it, kinda like a trippy "White Lotus"/"Lost" combo. If you enjoyed "High Maintenance," there's a high probability you will like this.

winecrab

« Reply #2659 on: September 20, 2022, 04:31:37 PM »
Unhinged is on Netflix. Russell Crowe kills it.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2660 on: September 21, 2022, 01:52:40 PM »
Industry on hbo is really good despite being about young british people having sex. I didn't realize they treated Northerners and Scots so bad over there. Ken leung is really good at acting I'd only seen him on the Sopranos in the mental hospital arc with junior
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2661 on: September 21, 2022, 02:25:00 PM »
Industry on hbo is really good despite being about young british people having sex. I didn't realize they treated Northerners and Scots so bad over there. Ken leung is really good at acting I'd only seen him on the Sopranos in the mental hospital arc with junior
  Hah Ken Leung was surprisingly a big part of lost I discovered when I just watched them all.   Explains his small role in The Force Awakens

I will say, Season 2 tones down the sex part.  It feels like they were victim of a studio note to be more Euphoria in the first season. 

Also, amazing soundtrack

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2662 on: September 21, 2022, 04:45:09 PM »

Dude!  I was really surprised by this movie.  Reminds me of action/thriller movies from the late nineties (in a good way!) before MCU started dominating Hollywood.  It was surprisingly brutal at times too.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #2663 on: September 22, 2022, 10:43:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude!  I was really surprised by this movie.  Reminds me of action/thriller movies from the late nineties (in a good way!) before MCU started dominating Hollywood.  It was surprisingly brutal at times too.

Are you both not in the US? I looked on Netflix and it wasn't there. Bummed because I wanted to watch that.

Irvine-Sucks.com

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2664 on: September 22, 2022, 11:31:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Are you both not in the US? I looked on Netflix and it wasn't there. Bummed because I wanted to watch that.
It's on Amazon Prime in the US. A good tool to find out which service has what is justwatch dot com. If you pay for a VPN service then you scoff at puny region locks

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #2665 on: September 23, 2022, 07:51:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
It's on Amazon Prime in the US. A good tool to find out which service has what is justwatch dot com. If you pay for a VPN service then you scoff at puny region locks

Ahh, good to know. Thanks!

Irvine-Sucks.com

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2666 on: September 23, 2022, 08:06:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I watched it on Prime.

winecrab

« Reply #2667 on: September 23, 2022, 08:56:26 AM »
Anyone else watching Dahmer on Netflix? I'm on the 2nd episode. Not bad so far.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #2668 on: September 23, 2022, 09:51:38 AM »

between this and the patient i’m gonna lose some hair from being so stressed

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #2669 on: September 23, 2022, 05:48:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

between this and the patient i’m gonna lose some hair from being so stressed
I’m only a little into episode 3, but it’s great so far. I’m from Milwaukee and my dad happens to be a retired homicide investigator who worked on this case. He’s retired now, but he’s still tight lipped about all of this.