Author Topic: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix  (Read 383260 times)

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
Re: Movies/TV shows that don't suck on Netflix
« Reply #2910 on: April 23, 2023, 06:51:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Joining the choir on Beef, just finished it.  First couple eps I was like okay, pretty exciting but hope it doesn’t just turn into another show about new-age shitty people who cheat on each other.. I can’t even believe how much deeper and well-written it got from there.  I really did a 180 on how I felt about most characters over the course of the show.  If there isn’t another season I’d be satisfied with the ending, but they really set it up well to keep it going.
[close]

Not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t remember there being space for a new season.   Everything seemed pretty wrapped up - but it’s also been a few weeks…

Also, when do we think it’s fair to life the Beef Spoiler embargo?

Gotta be soon,  it was like 2-3months after better call saul when i started seeing the spoilers and video essays

Also night agent is a fun ride

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2911 on: April 23, 2023, 07:23:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Joining the choir on Beef, just finished it.  First couple eps I was like okay, pretty exciting but hope it doesn’t just turn into another show about new-age shitty people who cheat on each other.. I can’t even believe how much deeper and well-written it got from there.  I really did a 180 on how I felt about most characters over the course of the show.  If there isn’t another season I’d be satisfied with the ending, but they really set it up well to keep it going.
[close]

Not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t remember there being space for a new season.   Everything seemed pretty wrapped up - but it’s also been a few weeks…

[close]

Gotta be soon,  it was like 2-3months after better call saul when i started seeing the spoilers and video essays

I mean on here.   When do we think it’s fair to openly discuss?

The Diplomat is decent enough.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2912 on: April 23, 2023, 07:35:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean on here.   When do we think it’s fair to openly discuss?

The Diplomat is decent enough.
Just write "BEEF SPOILERS"  at the top of your post and should be enough for anyone who doesn't want it spoiled to not read on.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2913 on: April 24, 2023, 03:26:33 AM »
Adaptation of Cronenbergs Dead Ringers starring Rachel Weisz is on Prime now

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #2914 on: April 24, 2023, 01:52:00 PM »

Literally opened this thread up to ask if anyone had watched it yet

DR is maybe my favorite Cronenberg movie, so I'm kinda curious to watch it, but also pretty wary for the same reason

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #2915 on: April 24, 2023, 02:38:04 PM »

Complete garbage, couldn’t even finish the first episode
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

turdtastic

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2916 on: April 24, 2023, 03:26:01 PM »
Haven’t read the last few pages of this thread, so sorry if this was already posted.
Cabinet of Curiosities is pretty rad so far, I’m in the middle of ep 3.
Anthology series exec. produced by Guillermo del Toro.
Kinda like a horror version of The Twilight Zone.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #2917 on: April 24, 2023, 03:55:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's disappointing, but not surprising

Haven’t read the last few pages of this thread, so sorry if this was already posted.

Haven't watched all the episodes yet, but I really liked the one about that lady who works at a bank & gets obsessed with that body transformation lotion. Think it's episode 4 actually, so you'll see it soon.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2918 on: April 24, 2023, 04:35:49 PM »

Speaking of GDT, surprising to see him pop up in Barry last night

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2919 on: April 25, 2023, 12:01:57 AM »
Jury Duty on Freevee is good!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2920 on: April 25, 2023, 01:31:30 AM »

Right?!   I misunderstood the concept before I started watching (thought it was a sitcom) but really enjoyed it and thought it stuck the landing.   (Freevee exists inside of Prime for anyone unaware)

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2921 on: April 25, 2023, 10:47:23 AM »
i'll also second beef. favorite show in a good bit. the main girls reactions were so good.

i'll second that. one of my favorite directors.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #2922 on: April 25, 2023, 02:00:25 PM »
watched minding the gap, really fantastic skating related doc. dont have much to say other than go watch it. i think it was a recent addition to netflix.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2923 on: April 26, 2023, 09:36:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fwiw I enjoyed the first episode a lot, but don’t think I have any memory of the original

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2924 on: April 26, 2023, 11:03:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Right?!   I misunderstood the concept before I started watching (thought it was a sitcom) but really enjoyed it and thought it stuck the landing.   (Freevee exists inside of Prime for anyone unaware)

Yeah for sure!  It’s so damn entertaining and impressive.  Great writing and sort of amazing performances.  It’s like long form improv meets Truman Show or Joe Schmo Show meets the Office haha.  Pretty incredible but odd and unique.  Ultimately extremely pleasing.  A rare show I could and would recommend to everyone.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #2925 on: May 01, 2023, 07:06:04 AM »
Finished BEEF and last season of better call Saul… both incredible. BEEF had me captivated as hell. steven yeun’s character is so damn relatable.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #2926 on: May 01, 2023, 07:51:34 AM »
Alright forgive me for this tangent, but I also finished BCS last night and have to go off just a bit.. Hot take… but I felt the last season and ending were pretty boring and underwhelming.  My partner and I got a little heated because she thought it was great and meaningful and tied everything up nicely.  I disliked it for the same reasons.

So after 6 seasons of Saul being a POS, he finally gets caught and has this grand revelation and saves the girl?  It’s just a little too perfect and corny imo.  Also, season 4 and 5 were absolute barn burners, super intense.  That’s why I watched the show.  Season 6 had it’s moments for sure, but it was like 90% people just walking, standing, sitting in silence pondering.

It was great if you were seeking closure, and were watching it for the sake of character development.  If you were watching it because you enjoy gritty, fast-paced crime dramas, which BCS teases you with sporadically, then season 6 was a disappointment.  Then again, I should’ve picked up on that when the majority of the series’ beginning was about his narcissistic mentally ill brother.  Breaking Bad was the same though, way too drawn out at times and way too much filler that doesn’t really contribute much to the plot.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2927 on: May 01, 2023, 08:03:37 AM »
Alright forgive me for this tangent, but I also finished BCS last night and have to go off just a bit.. Hot take… but I felt the last season and ending were pretty boring and underwhelming.  My partner and I got a little heated because she thought it was great and meaningful and tied everything up nicely.  I disliked it for the same reasons.

So after 6 seasons of Saul being a POS, he finally gets caught and has this grand revelation and saves the girl?  It’s just a little too perfect and corny imo.  Also, season 4 and 5 were absolute barn burners, super intense.  That’s why I watched the show.  Season 6 had it’s moments for sure, but it was like 90% people just walking, standing, sitting in silence pondering.

It was great if you were seeking closure, and were watching it for the sake of character development.  If you were watching it because you enjoy gritty, fast-paced crime dramas, which BCS teases you with sporadically, then season 6 was a disappointment.  Then again, I should’ve picked up on that when the majority of the series’ beginning was about his narcissistic mentally ill brother.  Breaking Bad was the same though, way too drawn out at times and way too much filler that doesn’t really contribute much to the plot.

Im with your partner…my second time binging BCS and an amazing ender for me.   Everything leading up to the howard incident was excellent.  The nacho chase with the salamanca cousins was dope.  The lalo ending a little underwhelming but still liked the lead up.   Sauls demise being the ice cream request was hilarious.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2928 on: May 01, 2023, 08:34:19 AM »
*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I was upset over Lalo’s ending (mainly because it felt anticlimactic), but Howard Hamlin that was just down right dirty… i mean i guess i get it but still. the final season dragged on a bit similar to the final season of breaking bad where i was just like, “end it already”.

I thought the courtroom ending was bittersweet. Kind of all leading up to a Saul turning babyface over heel. i still kind of thought he was gonna throw Kim under the bus for a second tho..

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but think i enjoyed BCS more than breaking bad. Had much more humor.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #2929 on: May 02, 2023, 05:36:53 AM »
Jimmy dressing up as Howard pure gold.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2930 on: May 02, 2023, 06:49:39 AM »
The bit with the cone… i saw one in a random parking spot this weekend and just started cracking up thinking of Howard Hamlin cosplay lol

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2931 on: May 02, 2023, 11:23:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah for sure!  It’s so damn entertaining and impressive.  Great writing and sort of amazing performances.  It’s like long form improv meets Truman Show or Joe Schmo Show meets the Office haha.  Pretty incredible but odd and unique.  Ultimately extremely pleasing.  A rare show I could and would recommend to everyone.
I thought this show was good but also that the actors kind of played it too safe - once they kind of tested there perimeters of what he’d believe in the first few they really didn’t push it beyond that , the fact that he won money and they said they were testing his character etc. made it better for me at the end. Still it’s kinda like if you met me and I said my name was craig and I liked boxing for a week - then a week later I was like “surprise my names John and I like skateboarding!” It’s a believable and mundane lie. And the only thing that’s funny is that I sort of tricked you but the trick is really stupid and boring
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2932 on: May 02, 2023, 11:36:42 AM »
Been lacking in the whatever threads so gotta catch up especially here but I will say this now - I really liked beef, ya idk bout season 2 after that ending unless it follows a totally different story. Idk if these are Netflix or not (my girl has like all the streaming services and I never know what’s going on ) but here some other recent shows I’ve been really into

The swarm - if you liked Atlanta imagine that mixed with the Ted bundy series

Yellow jackets - one of those shoes that makes your week implode as I’m measuring time now by how long I have to wait for the next episode

Severance - this show rocked my world it was so good - Ben stiller shook any conception I had of his creative abilities off the table

How to with John Wilson - I found this show while in Europe about a year ago and it’s an amazing docu style show that strokes my autism receptors and it’s just as funny as it is informative and interesting. Also if your missing the US or nyc while traveling it gives a good dose of that flavor in various ways each episode

I’m also a big trash consumer - been keeping up with current survivor season and catfish episodes - we got any survivor fans here? I’ve seen every single episode
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2933 on: May 02, 2023, 11:58:05 AM »
Jimmy dressing up as Howard pure gold.

Was the best shit

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2934 on: May 02, 2023, 12:13:06 PM »
Any of you watching White House Plumbers?  I think the first episode was a bit clunky and the choice of using Crystal Blue Persuasion repeatedly was such a derivative move - but Justin Theroux as G Gordon Liddy getting zinged by a CIA safe house operative played by Councilman Jamm actor Jon Glaser had me laughing so loud that I think my neighbors got annoyed. I'm hoping the following 4 episodes are better crafted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuKM2sTTmHg

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2935 on: May 02, 2023, 01:13:23 PM »
Any of you watching White House Plumbers?  I think the first episode was a bit clunky and the choice of using Crystal Blue Persuasion repeatedly was such a derivative move - but Justin Theroux as G Gordon Liddy getting zinged by a CIA safe house operative played by Councilman Jamm actor Jon Glaser had me laughing so loud that I think my neighbors got annoyed. I'm hoping the following 4 episodes are better crafted.

(Repost) check out Gaslit which came out last year.   

It’s a far superior version told from the perspective of Martha Mitchell (Julia Roberts), but that’s all I’ll say.   Shea Wigham’s G Gordon Liddy is so damn good too

Out of curiousity - what do you mean by Crystal Blue Persuasion being derivative?   

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2936 on: May 02, 2023, 03:42:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s a far superior version told from the perspective of Martha Mitchell (Julia Roberts), but that’s all I’ll say.   Shea Wigham’s G Gordon Liddy is so damn good too

Out of curiousity - what do you mean by Crystal Blue Persuasion being derivative?

Ah I just saw your earlier post about Gaslit. I have a heavy aversion to all things Julia Roberts but I'm equally fascinated by G Gordon Liddy so I'll definitely give it a shot.
As far as Crystal Blue Persuasion - that song is just so established with the show Breaking Bad and I find them using it on Plumbers to be either lazy or derivative (even if it is some kind of misguided homage). Plus there's plenty of late 60's music out there to pick from. I don't know. Maybe that's a silly point I'm making but I think it's indicative of the show's inadequacies.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2937 on: May 02, 2023, 05:51:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ah I just saw your earlier post about Gaslit. I have a heavy aversion to all things Julia Roberts but I'm equally fascinated by G Gordon Liddy so I'll definitely give it a shot.
As far as Crystal Blue Persuasion - that song is just so established with the show Breaking Bad and I find them using it on Plumbers to be either lazy or derivative (even if it is some kind of misguided homage). Plus there's plenty of late 60's music out there to pick from. I don't know. Maybe that's a silly point I'm making but I think it's indicative of the show's inadequacies.

Gotcha.   Honestly, didn’t remember that being used in BB, I just remember Windy, but I agree about the general note of that happening after a series has made a song iconic.   

Gaslit is far from the Julia Roberts show.  It’s more of an ensemble piece.   I’d say it’s as much her and Sean Penn as it is Liddy and John and Mo Dean. 

HBO has just a little bit of a UNlucky run right now where two of their current shows (the other is Love and Death) were kinda scooped by other services before they could get theirs out so they sat on them for a bit to put some space in between.   Bad luck with public domain stories
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 09:15:46 AM by Atiba Applebum »

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #2938 on: May 03, 2023, 08:13:24 AM »
Me and my girl rented a cozy Airbnb by a peaceful river in 2021. No TV was available, so we watched "Sweet Tooth" on her phone at night. We got hooked quickly by its amazing storytelling, cinematography, and character development. We couldn't wait for season 2 to come out. Finally, after two years, we saw it last weekend, and even though it was well-made, it didn't have the same magic as watching the first season premiere snuggled up in the dark with a tiny phone. However, we're still big fans and can't wait for season 3 to see what happens to the characters. We're super excited!

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #2939 on: May 03, 2023, 09:41:10 AM »
Me and my girl rented a cozy Airbnb by a peaceful river in 2021. No TV was available, so we watched "Sweet Tooth" on her phone at night. We got hooked quickly by its amazing storytelling, cinematography, and character development. We couldn't wait for season 2 to come out. Finally, after two years, we saw it last weekend, and even though it was well-made, it didn't have the same magic as watching the first season premiere snuggled up in the dark with a tiny phone. However, we're still big fans and can't wait for season 3 to see what happens to the characters. We're super excited!

Might not just be a matter of watching season 1 in a more whimsical situation, my girlfriend and I really liked season 1 but so far we're not loving season 2 quite as much. But then, we're only 3 episodes in and it's still definitely good enough to keep watching.