Author Topic: Terrible Anti Hero Ad  (Read 21237 times)

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
Re: Terrible Anti Hero Ad
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »
You guys are debating over a year old Anti Hero ad.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 11:25:58 PM »
Is it funny because its human suffering, or funny because its human suffering on a skateboard? Not saying it shouldn't of been ran or anything, but somebody describe why its funny?
I don't understand why people think it's supposed to be funny in the first place.  It's Anti-Hero (the little guys) vs. the soldiers (the big, authoritarian guys).  It's the same style Anti-Hero (note the name) has always had.  They're the Travis Bickle of skateboarding in image.  I would honestly love to watch Salo with some of you guys.  We shouldn't be discussing whether or not it's offensive (it's supposed to be), we should be discussing whether or not it's effective (this thread proves it is).  Photoshopping dicks in Berra's mouth (don't stop) is fine, but subverting an iconic image for the umpteenth time is offensive?

Inanimate Object

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
You guys, this isn't "art"
It's not deliberate historical commentary, or even something that will generate meaningful conversation unintentionally. Wrong audience, wrong medium.  This is the Anti Hero art department seeing a "gnarly" image and slapping their logo on it, because "gnarly" is their thing.  Stop defending shitty things.  Free Max B, I guess.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 11:34:51 PM »
Old or not, is this an actual Anti-hero ad? �Where was it run web or magazine?

Mocking innocent Children victim to war is edgy, cool, and apparently funny now?
Do you even know the origins of this photo? �http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thi_Kim_Phuc

I know it's sort of Anti-hero's thing to be... well fucking regular, but seriously fuck them. �First mocking the nuclear meltdown caused by the tsunamis and earthquakes in Japan and now this? �Fuck Anti-hero. �Fuck Deluxe and fuck that ex-pig Mic-E Reyes.

The same little fuckers tolerating this shit are the ones who found Baker's racism amusing. �I guess racism and war are funny if it's your favorite skateboarders making the joke! �Grow some fucking balls.

Uh, DLX made "Realief" decks and donated proceeds to the Tsunami relief. They support tons of causes.

This is not an "ad" per se, this is to get into people's heads and I don't think it's meant to make people laugh. Probably the opposite.

There is pain in the photo but did any of you reactionaries consider that this is actually anti-war political SATIRE? A young audience is exposed to this and might think, understandably, "that is horrible" and as a result a skateboard "ad" might open some eyes and foster the next Vonnegut or Abbie Hoffman.

Has anyone who's upset by this ever looked at a Crass inlay or Dead Kennedy's album cover? However, Jello Biafra is seen as an ultra liberal crusader but the same kind of shit somehow makes Julien Stranger someone who thinks maimed kids is funny? Just look at the history of the graphics and ads, and notice all the anti-war, anti govt corruption, etc., messages incorporated into them. Look at some of that and you might "get" this.

Think about shit like this a little more, sometimes the real meaning is below the surface and I honestly believe that's the case here, whether it's poor taste or not it doesn't seem malicious, it forces people to confront evil shit instead of being ignorant to how fucked the world was, is, and will continue to be as long people are complacent and would prefer to not have to look at unpleasant images.

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 11:38:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Old or not, is this an actual Anti-hero ad? �Where was it run web or magazine?

Mocking innocent Children victim to war is edgy, cool, and apparently funny now?
Do you even know the origins of this photo? �http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thi_Kim_Phuc

I know it's sort of Anti-hero's thing to be... well fucking regular, but seriously fuck them. �First mocking the nuclear meltdown caused by the tsunamis and earthquakes in Japan and now this? �Fuck Anti-hero. �Fuck Deluxe and fuck that ex-pig Mic-E Reyes.

The same little fuckers tolerating this shit are the ones who found Baker's racism amusing. �I guess racism and war are funny if it's your favorite skateboarders making the joke! �Grow some fucking balls.
[close]

Uh, DLX made "Realief" decks and donated proceeds to the Tsunami relief. They support tons of causes.

This is not an "ad" per se, this is to get into people's heads and I don't think it's meant to make people laugh. Probably the opposite.

There is pain in the photo but did any of you reactionaries consider that this is actually anti-war political SATIRE? A young audience is exposed to this and might think, understandably, "that is horrible" and as a result a skateboard "ad" might open some eyes and foster the next Vonnegut or Abbie Hoffman.

Has anyone who's upset by this ever looked at a Crass inlay or Dead Kennedy's album cover? However, Jello Biafra is seen as an ultra liberal crusader but the same kind of shit somehow makes Julien Stranger someone who thinks maimed kids is funny? Just look at the history of the graphics and ads, and notice all the anti-war, anti govt corruption, etc., messages incorporated into them. Look at some of that and you might "get" this.

Think about shit like this a little more, sometimes the real meaning is below the surface and I honestly believe that's the case here, whether it's poor taste or not it doesn't seem malicious, it forces people to confront evil shit instead of being ignorant to how fucked the world was, is, and will continue to be as long people are complacent and would prefer to not have to look at unpleasant images.

Hopefully not though!

Inanimate Object

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 11:41:51 PM »
Anyone who's ever looked at a Crass or Dead Kennedy's inlay has also listened to those bands and so there's no ambiguity about the message.
Also, maybe some kid will see this horrible image and become the next Vonnegut?
Actually, I remember reading an interview with Vonnegut and he said he really appreciated the existence of offensive Anti hero ads because otherwise he would never have learned about the horrors of war. I think Slaughterhouse Five was actually based on an old World Industries ad but maybe I'm wrong.

asakusa75

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 11:44:46 PM »
Anyone who's ever looked at a Crass or Dead Kennedy's inlay has also listened to those bands and so there's no ambiguity about the message.
Actually, I remember reading an interview with Vonnegut and he said he really appreciated the existence of offensive Anti hero ads because otherwise he would never have learned about the horrors of war. I think Slaughterhouse Five was actually based on an old World Industries ad but maybe I'm wrong.

I am going to assume this is some kind of joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse-Five

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »
You guys, this isn't "art" (Your opinion)
It's not deliberate historical commentary (your opinion), or even something that will generate meaningful conversation unintentionally(it has). Wrong audience (exact audience), wrong medium (exact medium).  This is the Anti Hero art department seeing a "gnarly" image (speculation) and slapping their logo on it (speculation), because "gnarly" is their thing (It is.  So what?  Don't buy it).  Stop defending shitty things (opinion).  

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »
Old or not, is this an actual Anti-hero ad?  Where was it run web or magazine?

Do you even know the origins of this photo?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thi_Kim_Phuc

I know it's sort of Anti-hero's thing to be... well fucking regular, but seriously fuck them.  First mocking the nuclear meltdown caused by the tsunamis and earthquakes in Japan and now this?  Fuck Anti-hero.  Fuck Deluxe and fuck that ex-pig Mic-E Reyes.

The same little fuckers tolerating this shit are the ones who found Baker's racism amusing.  I guess racism and war are funny if it's your favorite skateboarders making the joke!  Grow some fucking balls.
Racism and war are funny no matter who makes the joke

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 12:05:35 AM »
Who's excited for the para olympics?  They're always a good laugh.

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Having an extra chromosome must be hard for you

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

Inanimate Object

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 12:18:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Is it funny because its human suffering, or funny because its human suffering on a skateboard? Not saying it shouldn't of been ran or anything, but somebody describe why its funny?
[close]
I don't understand why people think it's supposed to be funny in the first place.  It's Anti-Hero (the little guys) vs. the soldiers (the big, authoritarian guys).  It's the same style Anti-Hero (note the name) has always had.  They're the Travis Bickle of skateboarding in image.  I would honestly love to watch Salo with some of you guys.  We shouldn't be discussing whether or not it's offensive (it's supposed to be), we should be discussing whether or not it's effective (this thread proves it is).  Photoshopping dicks in Berra's mouth (don't stop) is fine, but subverting an iconic image for the umpteenth time is offensive?

But what's it do effectively, besides being offensive? That's one of the cop-out critical defenses of offensive art - that if it offends you, it's succeeded.  I think a better measure would be the quality of discussion that comes out of it. So, what's the productive discourse we're supposed to be getting out of this - whether a skate company can co-opt images of war crimes?  
And if the point of this image was to depict a "big guys versus the little guys" anti-authoritarian message, do you think this was the best image they could have picked?
Personally, if that was the message I was attempting to convey, I wouldn't have picked one with the little guys getting torched with napalm. But as you pointed out, that's just my opinion man.

asakusa75

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Having an extra chromosome must be hard for you

Yes, it is. I am willing to admit I got done on this one. Sux to be me.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 01:21:20 AM »

Skateboarding is the epitome of human suffering, by choice.  Not funny, but true.  "Skateboarding ruined my life", damn right it did, but I wouldn't want to give up all that it has given me. 

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 01:22:42 AM »

Anyone who's seen Anti Hero ads and graphics over the years and actually paid attention to the theme should also have recognized the theme, which is actually very similar to the ideals expressed in DK lyrics to keep with that example, so there's no real ambiguity there either. Come on, businessmen with dollar signs on their heads, bar cod and QR codes (with middle fingers in them), cultural icons and authority figures with zombie faces, Charlie Brown Manson, foreclosure prints, atomic energy silos... Granted they've digressed in recent years but they used to have a very obvious theme of basically trashing American government and values of modern society but with low-brow humor in the mix. Still do to a lesser extent, its even in the company name for Christ's sake, just now more stupid humor in the mix.

I'm not saying it isn't in poor taste, I just see a different meaning and don't think its as sinister as some people are making it out to be.

I only mentioned Vonnegut because its a big name who high school kids should be familiar with for a few things: using disturbing imagery as anti war sentiment and conveying those beliefs without being completely obvious or overtly saying that that's what his writings are about. There's much more than slaughterhouse five by the way, that book pretty much sucks.

The rest of your response was person babble. Nice try though.

Pooch

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »
'Like, seriously! - its like totally playing on like how the government and shit like todally
use propaganda to manipulate our emotions bro'
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:00:06 AM by Poochy »

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 03:59:49 AM »
You guys, this isn't "art"
It's not deliberate historical commentary, or even something that will generate meaningful conversation unintentionally. Wrong audience, wrong medium.  This is the Anti Hero art department seeing a "gnarly" image and slapping their logo on it, because "gnarly" is their thing.  Stop defending shitty things.  Free Max B, I guess.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 05:11:13 AM »
It's funny for the same reason this is funny:

It's funny to take something terrible and make it look harmless, I guess.

its fucking appalling. Understandably Anti-Hero maybe were trying to highlight the severe and reprehensible methods of the U.S government BUT there is endless other ways to do it.
Also comparing the wrongful assassination of one man(guilty or otherwise) to the mass genocide of literally 100's of thousands of people is fucking regular.

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 05:34:02 AM »
i think that the idea of this ad was to draw attention to how fucked up war is. This is clearly an anti war ad and anyone getting worked up about it has missed the point

You are over estimating anti hero's art department, log off and go back to reading Banksy's 'Wall and Piece'...

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 05:46:19 AM »
Lame tasteless ad.  I can't say that kind of humor isn't effective when done properly though.

Yeah there's no clever joke there, and all I see when I look at that ad is a burned up, naked little girl and it bums me out.  Not the ad concept or the audacity of Anti Hero for making the joke, just the image itself.  Huge bummer.

That being said that Jack Ruby picture made me actually LOL.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Max Power

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 07:58:58 AM »
Yeah, I can see some feigned attempt to analogize "anti-hero" type skaters with those oppressed by the "authority."

But I think other dude is more right.  When you use a gnarly image like this you are knowingly reducing whatever your "message" to shock value. 

This isn't any more edgy, innovative, or provocative than marilyn manson or mr. brainwash.

DK had a robust substantive message.  They were involved in major free speech litigation.  They pushed the envelope so that people like Anti-hero could use offensive images to promote their "lifestyle" in order to sell skateboards and t-shirts. 

That said, I don't have a problem with the ad or anti-hero.  It is what it is.  Like Baker they are trying to make mommies mad.  Doesn't speak to me, but they have the right to do it. 

General Cornrow Wallace

• Rep: -3
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
cant believe so many people are crying over this. It's anti hero get the fuck over it

Pike St

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
It's a thread on an artistic ad, this is what people do at art galleries, discuss the piece, so this is an online version of that...pretty normal thing to do actually. Don't need to get upset about people engaging. I think it's interesting to read.

don't like it, too much pain in this picture

I personally agree. I picture the child running and not knowing the skateboard is under her feet, and stepping on it and falling. Makes me cringe. I do see the DK connection. Maybe in a weird way you can say the skateboards are helping them escape. psssh....In all honesty I thought this thread was going to be about their current ad, where they are propping up the piece of wood, for the front rock, and in the corner of the ad is the hand plant circle. Which is a cool 2 page ad.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 08:50:14 AM »
looking forward to the baker\dlx calbo series

but seriously, i wouldn't mind my kids seeing this when they were old enough to skate because they damn sure won't see this or any other iconic vietnam image in thier history books and i think it's important that my kids know about the horrors of war and of our imperalist past (well hopefully it will be past tense by then).

for those of you who offended, is this also offensive and if not then why not?

isn't this also explioting horrors of that war for marketing?

Cajungly

• Rep: -10
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:50 AM »
you guys are pussies that shit is handsome

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
looking forward to the baker\dlx calbo series

but seriously, i wouldn't mind my kids seeing this when they were old enough to skate because they damn sure won't see this or any other iconic vietnam image in thier history books and i think it's important that my kids know about the horrors of war and of our imperalist past (well hopefully it will be past tense by then).

for those of you who offended, is this also offensive and if not then why not?

isn't this also explioting horrors of that war for marketing?

I think its a much different image considering that monk lit himself on fire to make a point, rather than had napalm dropped on his house by a plane. Rage Against the Machine was also more concerned about the message in their music than in making money off of it, and they are clearly championing the monk and his cause by using his image when you consider the the content of that album.

I like the ad. It is fucked up, but look around and you are going to see fucked up things everywhere, which is kind of the the point. Wake up and look around. Skating is a way to lighten up the darkness and transcend our fates in the rat race, but that part gets lost pretty easily in the consumerism of our current age of Street League, Nike training facilities, Energy Drink sponsors and Pros posting pictures of their meetings with celebrity jewelers on facebook for the kids to see.

shone237

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
it's immature shock value, don't overthink it. Skateboarding has as much to do with politics as it does energy drinks. It's all one big sellout, anti hero just tries harder than others to not look like a sellout. This ad being the result of trying to hard.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »
That ad looks like something 12 year olds would come up with at a sleepover.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Pooch

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »
Its a cheap trick...heres one I prepared earlier!
Not very funny is it - specially when its NOT your favourite company doing it...

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:09:39 AM by Poochy »

Pooch

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
it's immature shock value, don't overthink it. Skateboarding has as much to do with politics as it does energy drinks. It's all one big sellout, anti hero just tries harder than others to not look like a sellout. This ad being the result of trying to hard.

Can I get an amen!