Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 690212 times)

soot_yawd and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #2970 on: November 03, 2020, 02:14:28 PM »
Here's a shape comparison of a 52mm Tablet (101) and a 53mm OG Classic NonF4 (99)

I guess that is why so many people like and want the OG Classic shape.

And tablet too come to think of it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2971 on: November 03, 2020, 08:15:27 PM »

I bought these 101 F4 Classics not too long ago, but sadly the left one has morphed into a sad shell of its former self. The rest of the wheels look like the one on the right.

I really liked the classics, so it's a bummer. The set of 99 Conical Fulls I had before didn't shapeshift like this one. I've since put the conicals back on my current setup since I saved them, and have taken all the classics off.

MalHuis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #2972 on: November 03, 2020, 11:21:38 PM »

I bought these 101 F4 Classics not too long ago, but sadly the left one has morphed into a sad shell of its former self. The rest of the wheels look like the one on the right.

I really liked the classics, so it's a bummer. The set of 99 Conical Fulls I had before didn't shapeshift like this one. I've since put the conicals back on my current setup since I saved them, and have taken all the classics off.

Damn dude thats whack. You ever rotate your wheels? looks like heavy wear and tear on the morphed ones and the other look fine?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2973 on: November 03, 2020, 11:44:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn dude thats whack. You ever rotate your wheels? looks like heavy wear and tear on the morphed ones and the other look fine?

What tricks are you doing or what kind of terrain are you skating that caused such uneven wear on that 1 wheel?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2974 on: November 03, 2020, 11:50:26 PM »
Maybe the wheel on the left is his back foot heel side wheel / the speed check wheel, and it never got rotated?

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2975 on: November 03, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »
Am i the only one who think there is too  many square shapes in the F4 lineup?? I think they should delete of of those shapes and bring back classic full regularly.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2976 on: November 04, 2020, 05:45:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What tricks are you doing or what kind of terrain are you skating that caused such uneven wear on that 1 wheel?

Haha, just regular flat, curbs, banks, flatbars. Run of the mill terrain. No excessive powerslides or anything. I don’t really know what caused it. It sucks bc these are really good wheels.

I’ve never actually rotated my wheels before, but I’ll start doing that from now on. For some reason that’s never been on my radar. Thanks boys!

Maybe the wheel on the left is his back foot heel side wheel / the speed check wheel, and it never got rotated?

Oddly enough it was my back foot toe side wheel. It would make sense if it was heel side bc I’ve been doing a lot of bs slappies, but that wheel was fine.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2977 on: November 04, 2020, 07:41:45 AM »
Why does this spit look like it has tread?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2978 on: November 04, 2020, 07:47:14 AM »
OG/Pro Classic formula come treaded. F4s do not.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:48:11 AM by Firebert »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2979 on: November 04, 2020, 08:06:37 AM »

Can you take another pic of all four lined up?

I would almost guarantee from biggest to smallest, they would be front heel, front toe (maybe coned), back heel and then back toe (also coned) and I would think that from the wear, you ride the graphic in?

I could be wrong, but I have seen way too many sets like this over the years, all from not rotating wheels and lots of solid skating.  I even have a few sets I have kept, because they have been unreadable with the front heel almost untouched same size as new and the back down to bearing covers.  Front toe will cone the most if you carve into things, or both toe side wheels will cone more so than heel side which wear down flat or even reverse coned.

Rotating wheels makes them wear more evenly and last a lot longer, usually swap the diagonals, eg front toe for back heel keeping them the same way facing out, but if you do notice significant wear on one wheel, swap it with the biggest of the set so at least those two get even wear.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #2980 on: November 04, 2020, 08:30:21 AM »
regarding tread and thread- thread screws things together, tread is a
pattern usually on tires.

in this case id say its is whats called "chatter" sometimes in machining, a high feedrate(rate of speed) and a light cut would result in that little swirl around the outside

someones posted the georgia skatewheel maker ig before, hes got a good video detailing such

not like that swirl, tread, thread or whatever you desire to name it would have any bearing on your performance, its probably around the ten thousandths of an inch mark.

shit they wear off in a day if youre actually skating them

Diocletian

« Reply #2981 on: November 04, 2020, 09:43:07 AM »
I was just tripping last night how I have one wheel that is clearly smaller than the rest but I just rotated them and when rolling it doesn't lift off the ground or anything so fuck it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2982 on: November 04, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
regarding tread and thread- thread screws things together, tread is a
pattern usually on tires.

in this case id say its is whats called "chatter" sometimes in machining, a high feedrate(rate of speed) and a light cut would result in that little swirl around the outside

someones posted the georgia skatewheel maker ig before, hes got a good video detailing such

not like that swirl, tread, thread or whatever you desire to name it would have any bearing on your performance, its probably around the ten thousandths of an inch mark.

shit they wear off in a day if youre actually skating them

So happy all the Formula Four wheels (and Bones SPF for that matter) are smooth finished, so they are good right from the first go on any surface.

I used to be amused by the noise, the zzziiinnnggg of the original formula and all the other brand wheels with the lines when you would slide on smooth surfaces, but until they were worn in, they would be deadly on things like wooden ramps (which we had in the shop) and flatspot easily in the first session if you didn't take them out the back and do a few good carves and slides on the raw concrete.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2984 on: November 04, 2020, 06:09:17 PM »
97s available at SW https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Spitfire_Formula_4_Classics_97a_Wheels/descpage-SFC97WH.html

...and that is how the Skate Warehouse Spitfire wheel riot in 2020 started folks!

I wonder how many they got and how fast they will sell out, or how many other shops just got them in but people don't know about it.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #2985 on: November 04, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »
Anybody got the F4 old school Classic shape yet?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mesteezo

« Reply #2986 on: November 04, 2020, 06:45:33 PM »

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #2987 on: November 05, 2020, 06:31:05 AM »
i dont even have any intention of skating them immediately, but i just grabbed some 97duros in 54mm.  i'm a wheel hoarder  :-\

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2988 on: November 05, 2020, 06:59:44 AM »
i dont even have any intention of skating them immediately, but i just grabbed some 97duros in 54mm.  i'm a wheel hoarder  :-\

Just one set?  You can't wheely be that much of a hoarder then.

I would be curious to hear what people think of them though.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2989 on: November 05, 2020, 10:19:54 AM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2990 on: November 05, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »
More shops have them now, including:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHLmYBGFKhn/

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #2991 on: November 05, 2020, 02:07:54 PM »
I’m waiting out on 97a for Conical Full or OG Classics. Eager to hear how they compare to Slimeball 97a or F4 99a.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2992 on: November 05, 2020, 02:11:51 PM »
Curious how the classic shape wears down with that 97a compared to F4 though. That 56mm probably nice once worn in a few mms.

$40
https://geometricskateshop.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/spitfire-formula-4-56mm-97-duro

https://geometricskateshop.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/spitfire-formula-4-54mm-97-duro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2993 on: November 06, 2020, 01:54:33 AM »
I seem to recall people asking about the shape of the OG classics, but this post from DLXSF has some really good close up pics of the side profile.  About five and six pics in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHO3aplFbmT/

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2994 on: November 06, 2020, 12:24:48 PM »
Just got them in, hopefully will get a chance to skate them later today

share picture

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2995 on: November 06, 2020, 12:27:37 PM »
Just got them in, hopefully will get a chance to skate them later today

share picture
that was quick! Excited to see it set up and hear your thoughts

Mesteezo

« Reply #2996 on: November 06, 2020, 12:37:53 PM »
Mine are on the delivery truck right now, I'll report back later today after I skate them.  ;D

lovermangenius

« Reply #2997 on: November 06, 2020, 02:59:06 PM »
Threw them on a set of Indy mids I just picked up from my local.

For reference I was riding 52mm 99 tablets before this for months so some of what I’m feeling might have to do with wheel shape and size. Overall I like how they feel a lot. Really smooth, seems like it will take a bit to get used to sliding them. I’ll probably have a better idea in a few days but so far so good.

Mesteezo

« Reply #2998 on: November 06, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »
Alright boys, I just set them up and took a couple of hill runs, and let me tell you... THESE ARE FUCKING FIRE.

On rough asphalt they retain speed and they grip like crazy. They even feel stable going over chunky asphalt on the street. I was able to pump for speed downhill pretty hard without sliding out. Usually with the 99a F4's it feels too icy on rough asphalt and I break into a slide if I pump too hard. The 97s have a much more controlled slide compared to the 99s, and it feels fantastic being able to hold a powerslide on the 97s.

On smooth concrete they still grip pretty nice and gives out a low pitched, classic sounding wheel bark when sliding. Though the tradeoff with this is that you lose maybe like 10% of speed compared to the 99a F4's, but it's nowhere near as drastic as the speed reduction of nonF4 99a spitfire OG classics. It still feels like an F4.

I'm pretty sure these are going to be my new favorite wheel, I'm a little heavy footed and found 99A F4s to be too icy, but these 97s are perfect. This is only skating them for 20 minutes but they feel great out of the box.

Go buy some now.

lovermangenius

« Reply #2999 on: November 06, 2020, 03:13:17 PM »
Alright boys, I just set them up and took a couple of hill runs, and let me tell you... THESE ARE FUCKING FIRE.

On rough asphalt they retain speed and they grip like crazy. They even feel stable going over chunky asphalt on the street. I was able to pump for speed downhill pretty hard without sliding out. Usually with the 99a F4's it feels too icy on rough asphalt and I break into a slide if I pump too hard. The 97s have a much more controlled slide compared to the 99s, and it feels fantastic being able to hold a powerslide on the 97s.

On smooth concrete they still grip pretty nice and gives out a low pitched, classic sounding wheel bark when sliding. Though the tradeoff with this is that you lose maybe like 10% of speed compared to the 99a F4's, but it's nowhere near as drastic as the speed reduction of nonF4 99a spitfire OG classics. It still feels like an F4.

I'm pretty sure these are going to be my new favorite wheel, I'm a little heavy footed and found 99A F4s to be too icy, but these 97s are perfect. This is only skating them for 20 minutes but they feel great out of the box.

Go buy some now.

Definitely agree on the speed, also I’m not sure if it’s just in my head but they feel really carvey when turning. There’s a curb spot I like skating that has awful concrete, really stoked to try them out there.