Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778193 times)

Some dude, big_kev_215 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

JugeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3510 on: January 13, 2021, 12:14:02 PM »
The "bought em to test em" explanation feels kinda stupid. You gave them money, they gonna keep doing that. Everybody always ends up using that excuse, but what if the wheels/trucks/bearings were any good? Or even decent? You all would totally buy them again and be taking more money away from skateboarding.

My money used to be tight, but i would rather skate 30mm flatspotted Spitfires than order some cheap trash from ebay.

rumstove

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3511 on: January 13, 2021, 04:11:27 PM »
i don’t know the difference in those ricta. Chrome clouds newer? Also could try oj Keyframes theyre 78a and well liked. Mine held up. Super juice are a 100% cruiser wheel, shaped as so. You looking for a street classic shape but softer durometer? Ricta also makes an 80-range too, and there are now harder 95a on nomads out for a middle ground.

I think Keyframes come in 78 and 87a... honestly unless you’re just after pure downhill speed the 87a are amazingly fun. Soft-but-still-slightly-firm. Skate them anywhere, crust/street/park.

I’ve got a set of 52mm clouds (78) and I guess they feel ok too. Not as soft as others in that range (76-78) I’ve tried but I don’t like the feel of a street cut shape in that type of eurethane personally.

Thanks both of you! Yeah I believe the chrome clouds are newer (still out for a couple years now) than the clouds. Yep I'm looking for street classic shape, but was tempted by the mini super juice after watching some John Gardner videos. The Keyframes look like a nice shape but I've only seen them in 87a...I'll have to look around a bit more. Then again, perhaps 87a is closer to what I'm actually looking for. Interesting the 52mm 78a Clouds felt harder than others in that range. Main goal is to go over rough parking lots and sidewalks a bit easier while still being able to do some ollies, kickflips, and curb grinds. I'm still sifting through options.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3512 on: January 13, 2021, 04:26:41 PM »
The "bought em to test em" explanation feels kinda stupid. You gave them money, they gonna keep doing that. Everybody always ends up using that excuse, but what if the wheels/trucks/bearings were any good? Or even decent? You all would totally buy them again and be taking more money away from skateboarding.

My money used to be tight, but i would rather skate 30mm flatspotted Spitfires than order some cheap trash from ebay.

Some skate shops, yes SKATE SHOPS in Asia and other places are actually buying in those fakes too, which is a really sad day for skateboarding in general.

There are a lot of people, be it kids, or parents buying for their kids, or who knows what, but a lot of people shopping from their home and ebay is a very easy source of product, so they have no idea it is fake.

Even looking at ebay feedback for the few sellers I have marked as "every product they sell is 100% fake" they are still getting mainly if not all positive reviews, with just one or two getting negative feedback when someone really knows what is going on.  One guy I messaged asking about the product even tried to tell me it was legit, claiming where it was from and I was getting a bargain, as the wheels were slightly cheaper than the regular RRP, but when I pointed out with pics the clear differences and exactly what his wheels were, I got no more replies back and the guy is still selling more of his fake stuff on ebay.com.au and getting away with it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3513 on: January 13, 2021, 04:33:47 PM »
Expand Quote
i don’t know the difference in those ricta. Chrome clouds newer? Also could try oj Keyframes theyre 78a and well liked. Mine held up. Super juice are a 100% cruiser wheel, shaped as so. You looking for a street classic shape but softer durometer? Ricta also makes an 80-range too, and there are now harder 95a on nomads out for a middle ground.
[close]

Expand Quote
I think Keyframes come in 78 and 87a... honestly unless you’re just after pure downhill speed the 87a are amazingly fun. Soft-but-still-slightly-firm. Skate them anywhere, crust/street/park.

I’ve got a set of 52mm clouds (78) and I guess they feel ok too. Not as soft as others in that range (76-78) I’ve tried but I don’t like the feel of a street cut shape in that type of eurethane personally.
[close]

Thanks both of you! Yeah I believe the chrome clouds are newer (still out for a couple years now) than the clouds. Yep I'm looking for street classic shape, but was tempted by the mini super juice after watching some John Gardner videos. The Keyframes look like a nice shape but I've only seen them in 87a...I'll have to look around a bit more. Then again, perhaps 87a is closer to what I'm actually looking for. Interesting the 52mm 78a Clouds felt harder than others in that range. Main goal is to go over rough parking lots and sidewalks a bit easier while still being able to do some ollies, kickflips, and curb grinds. I'm still sifting through options.

I found that around 90 duro was the perfect mix of compound for wheels for all terrain, as you can still just cess slide a bit if you need to but everything else is very smooth sailing over almost anything on the ground without feeling the sucking of speed out of smaller lower duro wheels, especially when you turn or carve sharply.

Things a few points on either side of that still work fine too, eg Keyframes in 87a, or my old Spitfire soft-d 92 wheels, but others like Ricta clouds (chrome is just the new cool look like rims on your car), Bones / Powell / Mini logo 90 duro, and a few others in regular skateboard wheel shapes, without getting in to the 60+ size and them turning into monster truck sized wheels.

It all depends on what you have access to, as a lot of these have been sold out and out of production for a bit, but most are still out there if you look hard enough, or want to have them shipped.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3514 on: January 13, 2021, 05:00:25 PM »
Yeah my bad, 87a keyframes are great for that. Rough parking lots and curbs. They can still slide a little bit, at least revert, and won’t get thrown like i have on 80hd chargers.
Loving my NFG 95a at the moment though. Perfect mixture to do it all.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3515 on: January 13, 2021, 06:14:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Some skate shops, yes SKATE SHOPS in Asia and other places are actually buying in those fakes too, which is a really sad day for skateboarding in general.

There are a lot of people, be it kids, or parents buying for their kids, or who knows what, but a lot of people shopping from their home and ebay is a very easy source of product, so they have no idea it is fake.

Even looking at ebay feedback for the few sellers I have marked as "every product they sell is 100% fake" they are still getting mainly if not all positive reviews, with just one or two getting negative feedback when someone really knows what is going on.  One guy I messaged asking about the product even tried to tell me it was legit, claiming where it was from and I was getting a bargain, as the wheels were slightly cheaper than the regular RRP, but when I pointed out with pics the clear differences and exactly what his wheels were, I got no more replies back and the guy is still selling more of his fake stuff on ebay.com.au and getting away with it.

Power to you if that's how you want to spend your money. I bought them to test the out and do a post on my social media telling others how to spot the fakes from legit wheels. I rode them afterwards so I can give an honest assessment on them; they are incredibly sticky and have a weird bounce despite being 101a rated.

I'd rather part with my $25 and be the guinea pig for these shit wheels and get the word out, than someone spending $40 buying these at full price while being told a bold face lie by the seller.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rumstove

« Reply #3516 on: January 13, 2021, 07:22:53 PM »

I found that around 90 duro was the perfect mix of compound for wheels for all terrain, as you can still just cess slide a bit if you need to but everything else is very smooth sailing over almost anything on the ground without feeling the sucking of speed out of smaller lower duro wheels, especially when you turn or carve sharply.

Things a few points on either side of that still work fine too, eg Keyframes in 87a, or my old Spitfire soft-d 92 wheels, but others like Ricta clouds (chrome is just the new cool look like rims on your car), Bones / Powell / Mini logo 90 duro, and a few others in regular skateboard wheel shapes, without getting in to the 60+ size and them turning into monster truck sized wheels.

It all depends on what you have access to, as a lot of these have been sold out and out of production for a bit, but most are still out there if you look hard enough, or want to have them shipped.

Thanks for reply! Locally there's nothing available but I have been able to find all the different wheels I'm looking at in stock online. Yeah 55-56mm and 78-90a seems to be the window I'm looking at. Went into this thinking 78a or bust, but with comments in this thread now 86/87a doesn't sound too bad at all.

rumstove

« Reply #3517 on: January 13, 2021, 07:25:11 PM »
Yeah my bad, 87a keyframes are great for that. Rough parking lots and curbs. They can still slide a little bit, at least revert, and won’t get thrown like i have on 80hd chargers.
Loving my NFG 95a at the moment though. Perfect mixture to do it all.

Awesome. Thanks. I hadn't given much thought to the keyframes until they were mentioned here a few times. They're looking pretty good.

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #3518 on: January 14, 2021, 10:54:40 PM »
Been skating 60mm spitfire f4 classics for the last couple months, skating street mostly.

If you ride 56mm the adjustment period is pretty minimal. They look insane on smaller boards and roll over crust like a conical full.

Highly recommended.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3519 on: January 15, 2021, 01:14:47 AM »
Been skating 60mm spitfire f4 classics for the last couple months, skating street mostly.

If you ride 56mm the adjustment period is pretty minimal. They look insane on smaller boards and roll over crust like a conical full.

Highly recommended.
I will admit that i've had trouble with some fliptricks since changing to 60mm from 56mm. I think it has more to do with using risers than wheels itself, what trucks are you riding and do you run any risers?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3520 on: January 15, 2021, 01:38:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can you pass on a link? I've reported sellers with fake Bones bearings before. I doubt much happens but I try get the ball rolling.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #3521 on: January 15, 2021, 04:54:29 AM »
Ok so regarding the ebay/mercari fake bones... There's a few things ive noticed that are a dead giveaway.

First off if they claim they're "open box" or "used for display" then thats a huge red flag, especially if they have dozens of them in every flavor. Has anyone ever seen a bones display with open boxes in a legit skate shop? Me neither. Whats more likely is the factory wasn't able to replicate the skate rated sticker so they just unwrapped them.

Second one is a lot of the time they'll also be selling  "sovereign speed" or "Supreme" bearings, i assume because they come from the same factory. I have a feeling that a lot of these sellers are part of a network that deals almost exclusively in counterfeit chinese goods. Im sure they're paying pennies on the dollar for them so I'd imagine its very lucrative. I've noticed that when they start to get too many negative reviews or feedback they delete the account and a new one pops up with obviously faked feedback.

So basically, if you're trying to get a deal on bones then your best bet is to wait for a good hardgoods discount code from a reputable shop like SPOT or socal.

Diocletian

« Reply #3522 on: January 15, 2021, 06:35:03 AM »
Seems like the open box ones are just the ones people returned because they realized they're fake lol.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #3523 on: January 15, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »
anyone ride Darkroom wheels yet?

I usually don't ride 99a, but they don't make an 83b and I want to try some new shit.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3524 on: January 15, 2021, 03:32:46 PM »
Whenever I see the display from Uprise I can't help but think I want to try some of those wheels.  They do such a good job, with detailed pics and showing all angles which is a lot more than most places do.

This time Dialtone wheels, which look like a few others that have been on here and there and I know absolutely nothing about them, but it is cool to see.

I also notice this, so much better pics than other sights. Even though I live in LA I try to buy from them if my local is out.  Those granite pieces and clean background make all the difference

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3525 on: January 15, 2021, 04:38:38 PM »
Ok so regarding the ebay/mercari fake bones... There's a few things ive noticed that are a dead giveaway.

First off if they claim they're "open box" or "used for display" then thats a huge red flag, especially if they have dozens of them in every flavor. Has anyone ever seen a bones display with open boxes in a legit skate shop? Me neither. Whats more likely is the factory wasn't able to replicate the skate rated sticker so they just unwrapped them.

Second one is a lot of the time they'll also be selling  "sovereign speed" or "Supreme" bearings, i assume because they come from the same factory. I have a feeling that a lot of these sellers are part of a network that deals almost exclusively in counterfeit chinese goods. Im sure they're paying pennies on the dollar for them so I'd imagine its very lucrative. I've noticed that when they start to get too many negative reviews or feedback they delete the account and a new one pops up with obviously faked feedback.

So basically, if you're trying to get a deal on bones then your best bet is to wait for a good hardgoods discount code from a reputable shop like SPOT or socal.

Seems like the open box ones are just the ones people returned because they realized they're fake lol.

Even the most precise of "Skate rated" stickers seems to have been copied now, with a set I saw.

On another thought, I noticed TGM is a shop I have seen with a few sets of Bones Swiss bearings opened or lightly used, which I thought was a bit weird, but I guess anything like that has been easily moved in house to friends or even put on my own boards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLEM-BONES-SWISS-Skateboard-Bearings-8-Pack-8mm-Precision-Competition-Size-608-/373117277057?hash=item56df85d381

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3526 on: January 15, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »

Can you pass on a link? I've reported sellers with fake Bones bearings before. I doubt much happens but I try get the ball rolling.

I always report them when I see them, as that is the skate shop guy in me, but so far it seems that none have been taken down.

What I have done is passed the seller id or listing info on to relevant persons in the industry, as they might have more luck.

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #3527 on: January 16, 2021, 02:07:25 AM »
Expand Quote

Highly recommended.
[close]
I will admit that i've had trouble with some fliptricks since changing to 60mm from 56mm. I think it has more to do with using risers than wheels itself, what trucks are you riding and do you run any risers?

Skating Ace 55s with Indy risers on 8.5

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #3528 on: January 16, 2021, 04:18:56 AM »
Just to out this out there in case anyone thinks about buying these : my friend got two harsh flat spots the third day he skated these wheels
OJ hard lines
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/54mm-from-concentrate-hardline-101a-oj-skateboard-wheels-8196935?utm_source=ojwheels.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=54mm%20From%20Concentrate%20Hardline%20101a%20
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3529 on: January 16, 2021, 06:07:59 AM »
Any wheels can and will flatspot, even in the first minute of use if you slip out or slide to a stop, yes even Bones or Spitfire Formula Four (seen it and done it), but I know some wheels will flatspot much more easily than others and it would seem OJs are pretty high on that list.

I do like the joy of wearing out flatspots in Formula Four wheels doing powerslides down my long mellow road though, cause it is rather satisfying to have wheels that have been deemed no longer useful and wear them down a mm or two and have them good for smooth surfaces again.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3530 on: January 16, 2021, 06:48:00 AM »
i totally agree. i managed to flatspot a few f4s by now but the cool thing is exactly what you describe, you can powerslide them flatspots out nicely usually. with a lot of wheels it's like there's no turning back once you put a flatty in them.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3531 on: January 16, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »
Also agree. Pre-F4 I was on SPF/ STF and if you flat spotted an SPF good luck getting that shit out. Any F4 I flat spotted was pretty small and was gone after a few hill bombs.

Rem377

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3532 on: January 17, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »
Just to out this out there in case anyone thinks about buying these : my friend got two harsh flat spots the third day he skated these wheels
OJ hard lines
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/54mm-from-concentrate-hardline-101a-oj-skateboard-wheels-8196935?utm_source=ojwheels.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=54mm%20From%20Concentrate%20Hardline%20101a%20

I picked these up a few months ago and got a flat spot within two weeks. I was hoping it would wear off after a while, but it's so annoying that I'm throwing in the towel on them. Can't decide whether to continue searching for a Spitfire alternative (debating some Bones STF V5 99s or NFG Vee Cut) or go back to F4.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3533 on: January 17, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
Expand Quote
OJ hard lines
[close]

I picked these up a few months ago and got a flat spot within two weeks. I was hoping it would wear off after a while, but it's so annoying that I'm throwing in the towel on them. Can't decide whether to continue searching for a Spitfire alternative (debating some Bones STF V5 99s or NFG Vee Cut) or go back to F4.
oooo not a good look for those OJ’s. I would say loophole/NFG - I have the 95a vee cut and like em a lot for crust

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3534 on: January 17, 2021, 11:23:25 AM »
Yeah OJs are no go for me also. Flatspotted those wide ones in a few weeks and didn't never like how they slided compared to f4.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #3535 on: January 17, 2021, 02:30:25 PM »
Even though I am a Spitfire guy (obviously), I do enjoy trying out other wheels from time to time. I found some Bones SPF 55's for $10 at a sale, so I figured I would try them out. Surprisingly, I had a set of Zero wheels a few years ago, and they were actually somewhat good. Most of the wheels made by board companies are pretty bad, but I liked the Zero wheels more than Bones STF's.
mods, please change username to "Spitfire4sometimes"

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3536 on: January 17, 2021, 03:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Even though I am a Spitfire guy (obviously), I do enjoy trying out other wheels from time to time. I found some Bones SPF 55's for $10 at a sale, so I figured I would try them out. Surprisingly, I had a set of Zero wheels a few years ago, and they were actually somewhat good. Most of the wheels made by board companies are pretty bad, but I liked the Zero wheels more than Bones STF's.
[close]
mods, please change username to "Spitfire4sometimes"

Lol
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3537 on: January 18, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
I’m lucky enough to buy from some of the best shops in the country, so I don’t need to worry about fakery.

On the topic of wheels: I skate ‘better’ on 50-52, live in a crusty zone. At what point in escalating wheel size do more spots become available to people? I was skating at my personal best, quite awhile ago, and had this experience where I met up with some folks that were outside my ability level. They were bombing hills, skitching back up, lots of grinds on Unwaxed shit, you know, ruling. I was waaaay back on a 775, lo’s etc. couldn’t handle the terrain outside of the skatepark. I’ve chased bigger setups since, hasn’t really helped.

TL;dr

How big your wheels need to be to skate most places?

I skated very shitty spots on 51mm F4s for a while. The tablets do better, or if you can do 52s the conical fulls perform really well. Width and euro matter more to me, though when you go smaller they wear out much sooner.

I was skating some 56s for a couple of months. They were cool and rolling over stuff was great, but I put on some 52s the other day and they skate better and I haven't eaten it yet.

Also, to save me a PM, I am sending your trucks tomorrow.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3538 on: January 18, 2021, 08:42:56 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m lucky enough to buy from some of the best shops in the country, so I don’t need to worry about fakery.

On the topic of wheels: I skate ‘better’ on 50-52, live in a crusty zone. At what point in escalating wheel size do more spots become available to people? I was skating at my personal best, quite awhile ago, and had this experience where I met up with some folks that were outside my ability level. They were bombing hills, skitching back up, lots of grinds on Unwaxed shit, you know, ruling. I was waaaay back on a 775, lo’s etc. couldn’t handle the terrain outside of the skatepark. I’ve chased bigger setups since, hasn’t really helped.

TL;dr

[close]

I skated very shitty spots on 51mm F4s for a while. The tablets do better, or if you can do 52s the conical fulls perform really well. Width and euro matter more to me, though when you go smaller they wear out much sooner.

I was skating some 56s for a couple of months. They were cool and rolling over stuff was great, but I put on some 52s the other day and they skate better and I haven't eaten it yet.

Something about the classic shape feels ‘right’. My dumb comment about conical fulls is that they seem to get bigger. I need to go speed check some hills for awhile, also because fun. I always trip out on watching Puleo footage where he’s crushing cutty looking spots on 50s with lo’s.
Notice any pop reduction with the smaller wheels and ace?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3539 on: January 18, 2021, 08:48:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

TL;dr

[close]

[close]

Something about the classic shape feels ‘right’. My dumb comment about conical fulls is that they seem to get bigger. I need to go speed check some hills for awhile, also because fun. I always trip out on watching Puleo footage where he’s crushing cutty looking spots on 50s with lo’s.
Notice any pop reduction with the smaller wheels and ace?

Honestly my pop got better because it was on a steep-ass Hockey. Less ghostly.