Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777878 times)

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3540 on: January 19, 2021, 04:34:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just to out this out there in case anyone thinks about buying these : my friend got two harsh flat spots the third day he skated these wheels
OJ hard lines
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/54mm-from-concentrate-hardline-101a-oj-skateboard-wheels-8196935?utm_source=ojwheels.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=54mm%20From%20Concentrate%20Hardline%20101a%20
[close]

I picked these up a few months ago and got a flat spot within two weeks. I was hoping it would wear off after a while, but it's so annoying that I'm throwing in the towel on them. Can't decide whether to continue searching for a Spitfire alternative (debating some Bones STF V5 99s or NFG Vee Cut) or go back to F4.
[close]
oooo not a good look for those OJ’s. I would say loophole/NFG - I have the 95a vee cut and like em a lot for crust
I love my bones stf 99s. I do a lot of back 180s where I slide the wheels and I haven’t got any flat spots in the last month. My friend was learning back 180s when he flat spotted his OJs and it was after like his 5th attempt trying to do one over a hip.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3541 on: January 19, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
I’m on 99a F4 classics. Really enjoying the 99a coming off 101 radials. Been skating more and more street and crust. My local gas 95a OJ nomads and 99a F4 tablets. They both are the tablet shape I want to try. F4 I trust. But 95a is tempting. Has anyone had both ? Thoughts?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3542 on: January 19, 2021, 11:32:39 AM »
I've been skating NFGs pretty much exclusively for a year or two now. The urethane is just as good as your spitfires or bones, if not better, without all their gimmicks. From what I've heard, the dude running the company did chemistry for a while at spitfire, and from the way the wheels feel I can tell he definitely knows his shit. It's also rad to know that I'm skating wheels made by bay area skate rats like me. Recently I've been skating the smoothie wheels they've been making, it's kinda neat skating a bigger bearing than typical skate bearings. Maybe it's a placebo but I feel like the larger diameter of the bearings add a bit more momentum; I'm riding 54s but they handle transition like a 56 or 58 would without the larger wheel size. It's worth checking them out if you feel like switching things up for a change, I think this is the first time skate bearing technology has changed since they stopped using loose ball bearings in the '70s.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

dipped

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3543 on: January 20, 2021, 12:43:04 AM »
Has anyone tried the satori conical shape? I would like to know how they compare to the f4 99a conicals. I used to really enjoy skating satoris back in the day so i‘m really tempted to get some new ones.

Chevy Beretta

« Reply #3544 on: January 20, 2021, 01:28:38 AM »
Has anyone tried the satori conical shape? I would like to know how they compare to the f4 99a conicals. I used to really enjoy skating satoris back in the day so i‘m really tempted to get some new ones.
They don't compare to f4s. They're just regular ass creative, I think, wheels. I know they're poured in the US, so I'm just assuming creative. I think they're fine though, but I'm not super picky about wheels.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3545 on: January 20, 2021, 06:52:11 AM »
I’m on 99a F4 classics. Really enjoying the 99a coming off 101 radials. Been skating more and more street and crust. My local has 95a OJ nomads and 99a F4 tablets. They both are the tablet shape I want to try. F4 I trust. But 95a is tempting. Has anyone had both ? Thoughts?

I would be curious to hear if any of the local shop guys have actually skated the 95s (or what they ride themselves, as that will usually sway their recommendations), because lots of people who have skated them say they are great, but they are 95 duro and my older Spitfire 95 duro wheels are perfect for skating slippery parks I don't want to slip out on, or make rough riding a lot smoother, but I definitely feel they are slower overall.  Note different brands, so different formulas, etc.

You know what Formula Four is like, just a slightly different shape of wheel, and when new they might feel a tiny bit different to when you have them nicely old and worn in, but once classics wear down, they end up much more squared off and perfect for how I like them, so tablets might be a bit more of that right from go, especially the medium to bigger tablets.

Hope that helps a bit anyway.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Diocletian

« Reply #3546 on: January 20, 2021, 08:02:20 AM »
I've been skating NFGs pretty much exclusively for a year or two now. The urethane is just as good as your spitfires or bones, if not better, without all their gimmicks. From what I've heard, the dude running the company did chemistry for a while at spitfire, and from the way the wheels feel I can tell he definitely knows his shit. It's also rad to know that I'm skating wheels made by bay area skate rats like me. Recently I've been skating the smoothie wheels they've been making, it's kinda neat skating a bigger bearing than typical skate bearings. Maybe it's a placebo but I feel like the larger diameter of the bearings add a bit more momentum; I'm riding 54s but they handle transition like a 56 or 58 would without the larger wheel size. It's worth checking them out if you feel like switching things up for a change, I think this is the first time skate bearing technology has changed since they stopped using loose ball bearings in the '70s.

Wait...what?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #3547 on: January 20, 2021, 09:17:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait...what?

Have the same reaction as Dio

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3548 on: January 20, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait...what?

I can’t find the website, but there is a wheel company that uses NFGMFG urethane that makes larger than normal bearings, and the NFG wheels are made specifically for those larger bearing sizes (not just larger balls in the bearing, but the bearings as a whole are actually larger afik).

I haven’t tried them but I’m intrigued. I think they are called Smoothie

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3549 on: January 20, 2021, 10:29:58 AM »
Found the site. It looks like they also make normal sized bearings too

https://sm00thie.com/

Diocletian

« Reply #3550 on: January 20, 2021, 10:58:26 AM »
Interesing, I'd probably get these if they had the 95a formula. I can't do hard wheels anymore, need a big 95-97a wheel 56-60mm

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #3551 on: January 20, 2021, 11:50:44 AM »
I received 2 sets of SF F4 OG Classics that wobble like crazy. No matter what I do the bearings just will not sit in the wheels properly. Brought them to a shop to see if they could get it straight. They could not. I even got myself a bearing press. Madness.

I think my F4 OG Classics are just flawed/malformed.

I swapped in some NFG Vee wheels and couldn’t be happier with them. No issues. Great wheels.

Hopefully NFG restocks the 95a Vee’s. I really want to try some in 56-60mm. Maybe Loophole will get some 95a’s in their lineup too.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #3552 on: January 20, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
I received 2 sets of SF F4 OG Classics that wobble like crazy. No matter what I do the bearings just will not sit in the wheels properly. Brought them to a shop to see if they could get it straight. They could not. I even got myself a bearing press. Madness.

Contact customer support https://www.spitfirewheels.com/guaranteed/

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #3553 on: January 20, 2021, 02:07:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Contact customer support https://www.spitfirewheels.com/guaranteed/

Thank you.

I contacted dlx regarding the 55mm set about 4 weeks ago.

The customer service was very helpful and after seeing some photos and videos of the wheels they agreed to send some replacements. Still waiting on those to be shipped.

In the time since then I received the second set of same wheels in 52mm as a gift.
Unfortunately they have the same issues.

Since the second set was a gift I am unsure whether or not I should contact dlx a second time about the same issue. I’m not even sure when or from where they were purchased. They were a Christmas gift that was stuck in the mail for weeks.

Maybe I will contact dlx about those too. 

Thanks again.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #3554 on: January 20, 2021, 03:13:01 PM »
That's a bummer to hear about the bearing seat on OG Classics isn't holding well.

I really like the idea of those wheels by their dimensions and have had em in my 'cart' on a couple sites for awhile.

Also, I sent an email to Jeremy re: the dimensions on the 46mm HookUps wheels he's sellin' (& a shipping question), but he never got back to me. :(

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3555 on: January 20, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »

Sounds unfortunate, but if they are faulty, get them sorted.  That's all there is to it. Christmas presents usually have someone who gave it to you, somewhere they bought them, some sort of warranty process, but failing that as you have done, they were gifted to you and without receipt, let DLX know and they should be able to sort them out.

Weird how things like this happen, but unless you want some nice wheels you have sitting on a shelf, you need to get moving on that and make sure you get them sorted sooner rather than later.

Not trying to be a pushy know it all, but they will not do anything if they do not know about them.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #3556 on: January 20, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Weird how things like this happen, but unless you want some nice wheels you have sitting on a shelf, you need to get moving on that and make sure you get them sorted sooner rather than later.

Not trying to be a pushy know it all, but they will not do anything if they do not know about them.

Yeah, you’re totally right. Thanks

And you did not come off like a pushy know it all.

hiljentaa

« Reply #3557 on: January 21, 2021, 03:29:27 PM »
I'm curious about how the Bones V3 99a feel in comparison to F4 99a Classics.

Can anyone who has ridden both formulas compare how they feel? I've never ridden Bones wheels before.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #3558 on: January 21, 2021, 03:52:21 PM »

Super interesting. Not sure if it’s worth the price tag just to try something new.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3559 on: January 21, 2021, 04:27:37 PM »
anyone got any big spitfires (originally 56-60mm) that are worn down to 53 or lower that they are willing to sell? cant wear them down myself due to truck height
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3560 on: January 21, 2021, 04:43:46 PM »
I'm curious about how the Bones V3 99a feel in comparison to F4 99a Classics.

Can anyone who has ridden both formulas compare how they feel? I've never ridden Bones wheels before.

I haven’t ridden those shapes, but I’ve skated both formulas. When the 99a bones easy streets came out, the white ones slid almost as well as F4 99a and felt a hair softer, also seemed a little slower. Those were white colored urethane. After those, I tried a couple sets of the natural colored urethane and those felt significantly grippier, a little harder, and seemed faster though not as much as F4.

Ultimately, the newer Easy street 99a don’t do anything as well as F4 imo and when I want to ride something a little grippier I prefer NFGMFG/Loopholes. Those grip a little more but still slide well enough and the urethane, though harder than 99a feel nicer on streets with a little crust than Easy streets.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:00:47 PM by Sundaynuggets »

hiljentaa

« Reply #3561 on: January 21, 2021, 05:09:07 PM »

I haven’t ridden those shapes, but I’ve skated both formulas. When the 99a bones easy streets came out, the white ones slid almost as well as F4 99a and felt a hair softer, also seemed a little slower. Those were white colored urethane. After those, I tried a couple sets of the natural colored urethane and those felt significantly grippier, a little harder, and seemed faster though not as much as F4.

Ultimately, the newer Easy street 99a don’t do anything as well as F4 imo and when I want to ride something a little grippier I prefer NFGMFG/Loopholes. Those grip a little more but still slide well enough and the urethane, though harder than 99a feel nicer on streets with a little crust than Easy streets.

Man, really appreciate this response. All the info I needed, including white v. natural. Thanks man.

The skinnier width of the V3s really appeals to me, but it sounds like I'm better off with the F4s.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3562 on: January 21, 2021, 05:25:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man, really appreciate this response. All the info I needed, including white v. natural. Thanks man.

The skinnier width of the V3s really appeals to me, but it sounds like I'm better off with the F4s.

No problem, glad to help!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3563 on: January 21, 2021, 06:22:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would say YES to that too, Spitfire F4 over Bones, but it is a close race and depends more on brand preference.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3564 on: January 21, 2021, 06:27:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Super interesting. Not sure if it’s worth the price tag just to try something new.

The most frustrating thing with "something different" to standard specifications is availability.

I have seen people caught out before with different spec product, eg micro bearings, so when they stopped making them, then you are limited in what you can do with that product.

Nice to try something new, but if for whatever reason that company closes tomorrow, you are stuck with product that has a very limited life and no way to replace parts when needed.

Some people might argue that it is faster, smoother, the company is stable, not about to go bust or whatever, but the unfortunate thing is when the time comes, no one else is going to make that product, so I would rather be happy riding something I know I can replace easily at any time with anything from almost any brand / shop if or when needed.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3565 on: January 21, 2021, 07:23:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No problem, glad to help!

Bones STF / Easy Streets are good, but Spitfires are just better.

V3s are ok for parks but unforgiving for crusty road.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #3566 on: January 22, 2021, 05:27:32 PM »

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/wheels/products/orbs-ghost-lites-52mm-white-black

White = 52mm
Pink = 54mm
Blue = 56mm

Why reintroduce a concept that's already been proven to fail? More importantly, which one of you guys are going to try this out? Cause $44 is not cheap for a factually failed concept

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #3567 on: January 23, 2021, 03:19:33 PM »
I've ridden bones stf for many years but I've been looking for blue wheels for forever. Finally got some pig ones, never had pig so hopefully they aren't so bad.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3568 on: January 23, 2021, 07:53:05 PM »

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/wheels/products/orbs-ghost-lites-52mm-white-black

White = 52mm
Pink = 54mm
Blue = 56mm

Why reintroduce a concept that's already been proven to fail? More importantly, which one of you guys are going to try this out? Cause $44 is not cheap for a factually failed concept

It's a funny thing isn't it.  I still have a few sets of used Spitfire firelights and never would skate them, or any other cored wheel again, but that is just me.

Some people like different things and gimmicks always sell well to a select few, so most likely will be cool for a minute for someone.

There is always someone trying to make something that they think might sell well, in the same way there will always be someone ready to fund business ventures that had been deemed unsuccessful in the past, but it is their money and their time, so whatever really.

They are not something I would ever sell or recommend in my shop, but with the shortages of wheels and other top level product, lots more lower level brands are getting a lot more than a foot in that door right now too.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #3569 on: January 23, 2021, 08:25:27 PM »
Other than cores popping out, is there something I’m missing with the welcome orbs wheel design?