Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 788615 times)

juniormint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 140
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4350 on: November 15, 2021, 07:47:44 AM »
speaking of loophole, anyone have recent-ish experience or i guess any experience with the square shape? i've stuck to vcut, but for some reason squares have me curious

I had the 54 squares. They were good and pretty comparable to a spit radial slim. Lock in was nice, but still relatively rounded. Didn’t enjoy them as much as the teardrop shape though, they seemed stickier and a little less consistent on the slide for me.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4351 on: November 15, 2021, 04:20:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks dudes! Yeah, 97a is what I was leaning toward. OJ, bones, or maybe even satori or Santa Cruz.
[close]

https://nhsfunfactory.com/products/60mm-oj-ii-original-white-combo-95a-oj-skateboard-wheels

If you can deal with the extra width, these wheels are pretty great. Super grippy while still being pretty fast.
[close]
I have the 97a teamrider iis and am pretty tempted by these... adore the way they look and the 97a that i have isnt big enough of a difference to be worth the sacrifice of hard wheels
[close]

Maybe it’s in my head, but the 97a OJ/Slimeballs feel a bit sluggish to me. These ones feel faster. For being only two points softer they feel pretty different
[close]
Thanks for the insight. I felt the same, was pretty dissapointed with the wheels. Now I have got to decide between these or 97 58 conical fulls....

Not sure about anyone else, but if there are F4 97duro 58mm conical full wheels still out there, I don't think they would be out there for long.

People have been snapping them up and I don't think there are going to be any more.

Get them while you can.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4352 on: November 15, 2021, 04:36:14 PM »
No more 97a F4s or 58mm conical fulls?

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4353 on: November 15, 2021, 09:04:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks dudes! Yeah, 97a is what I was leaning toward. OJ, bones, or maybe even satori or Santa Cruz.
[close]

https://nhsfunfactory.com/products/60mm-oj-ii-original-white-combo-95a-oj-skateboard-wheels

If you can deal with the extra width, these wheels are pretty great. Super grippy while still being pretty fast.
[close]
I have the 97a teamrider iis and am pretty tempted by these... adore the way they look and the 97a that i have isnt big enough of a difference to be worth the sacrifice of hard wheels
[close]

Maybe it’s in my head, but the 97a OJ/Slimeballs feel a bit sluggish to me. These ones feel faster. For being only two points softer they feel pretty different
[close]
Thanks for the insight. I felt the same, was pretty dissapointed with the wheels. Now I have got to decide between these or 97 58 conical fulls....
[close]

Not sure about anyone else, but if there are F4 97duro 58mm conical full wheels still out there, I don't think they would be out there for long.

People have been snapping them up and I don't think there are going to be any more.

Get them while you can.

Tactics has em for us US folks

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #4354 on: November 16, 2021, 05:51:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Are loophole good wheels?
[close]
yes! Get some 56mm v-cuts
I helped get them in my shop so I could get a pair. To show their thanks they are going to send me a little box. I'm stoked. I'm getting the 54 mm conical shape.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4355 on: November 16, 2021, 05:54:22 AM »
Expand Quote

Get them while you can.
[close]

Tactics has em for us US folks

Damn, 24 sets still showing in stock, which is pretty cool.

https://www.tactics.com/spitfire/formula-four-conical-full-skateboard-wheels/natural-teal-97d

I might have been mistaken, as I rechecked the catalog so it might be the 56mm that is no longer being made, with the 54 and 58 being the standard lines.

People are still wanting the old 58mm conical full wheels in 99 too, but I don't think they will be coming back any time soon.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4356 on: November 16, 2021, 06:39:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I helped get them in my shop so I could get a pair. To show their thanks they are going to send me a little box. I'm stoked. I'm getting the 54 mm conical shape.
oh yeah! You’ll be stoked on them, I’m sure

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4357 on: November 16, 2021, 06:42:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Get them while you can.

Why do you say that? Do you mean no more 58s, or no more 97s?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4358 on: November 16, 2021, 06:49:47 AM »
I got a pair of 58 97s for my wife’s board actually, feel really great on crusty surfaces

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #4359 on: November 16, 2021, 07:13:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Get them while you can.
[close]

no 97s in the spring 22 dlx catalog, bummer. i'd post it up but the link has expired. there's a new shape though, radial full.

I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #4360 on: November 16, 2021, 07:54:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
oh yeah! You’ll be stoked on them, I’m sure
Thanks for the response. I look forward to getting them tomorrow.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4361 on: November 16, 2021, 08:58:11 AM »
Expand Quote
speaking of loophole, anyone have recent-ish experience or i guess any experience with the square shape? i've stuck to vcut, but for some reason squares have me curious
[close]
want the square 54s; currently on 56 v-cuts and 52 teardrops on my “tech” deck

it appears nfg has 54 squares on sale 🤔

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4362 on: November 16, 2021, 11:09:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Get them while you can.
[close]

[close]

no 97s in the spring 22 dlx catalog, bummer. i'd post it up but the link has expired. there's a new shape though, radial full.

f

Weird, Radials are fat as it is...size for size they are on par with Conical Fulls but with a narrower contact patch...I guess people want wider than that? I never thought of Radials to be a big seller, it's the Classic Fulls people seem to want...but I get the radial shape sits in between Classics and Conicals.

New drops of Radial Slims are still nowhere to be found but they're still listed...

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4363 on: November 16, 2021, 11:27:27 AM »
God I want the 58 radial full so bad. Kick myself every day for not being big wheel ballin enough to get them when the neckface collab was out

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4364 on: November 16, 2021, 04:14:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Get them while you can.
[close]

Sorry for any confusion.

Actually no more 56mm in the 97 conical full.

There are still the 54 and 58 conical full and the 53, 54 and 56 classic shape in 97 duro.

Also just because a product is not in a specific drop (eg Spring 22) doesn't mean it is not in the standard lines that are still being carried.

I think there is enough interest in 97 duro to keep them around for a while longer.

* Edit: added my other post from previous page too.

Damn, 24 sets still showing in stock, which is pretty cool.

https://www.tactics.com/spitfire/formula-four-conical-full-skateboard-wheels/natural-teal-97d

I might have been mistaken, as I rechecked the catalog so it might be the 56mm that is no longer being made, with the 54 and 58 being the standard lines.

People are still wanting the old 58mm conical full wheels in 99 too, but I don't think they will be coming back any time soon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:32:15 PM by Mbrimson88 »

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4365 on: November 16, 2021, 09:29:56 PM »
God I want the 58 radial full so bad. Kick myself every day for not being big wheel ballin enough to get them when the neckface collab was out

Kaders new pro wheel should be out any day now, 57 and 60mm radial full 99a. Were prebooked for Fall 21 and have yet to arrive, going to contact the rep tomorrow about a status update. Natural with a green spitfire bighead logo on them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4366 on: November 17, 2021, 03:05:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kaders new pro wheel should be out any day now, 57 and 60mm radial full 99a. Were prebooked for Fall 21 and have yet to arrive, going to contact the rep tomorrow about a status update. Natural with a green spitfire bighead logo on them.

Spitfire thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3682088#msg3682088

Seems some places already have them, trust Zumiez to already be in on that one (big buying power getting the first look in) but a few other places are already sold out online, so who knows when the rest will drop.

I was almost wondering if his sponsor hopping had dampened the enthusiasm to get his wheel out, as there had been no mention of it anywhere after the shop catalog, then a few people (team riders) and shops have them, so maybe more will be out soon enough, or who knows what is going on.

thanksgiving

« Reply #4367 on: November 18, 2021, 12:27:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Spitfire thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3682088#msg3682088

Seems some places already have them, trust Zumiez to already be in on that one (big buying power getting the first look in) but a few other places are already sold out online, so who knows when the rest will drop.

I was almost wondering if his sponsor hopping had dampened the enthusiasm to get his wheel out, as there had been no mention of it anywhere after the shop catalog, then a few people (team riders) and shops have them, so maybe more will be out soon enough, or who knows what is going on.
Also worth keeping in mind some stores put products up before their release to generate clicks + boost SEO. I would bet any store that says out of stock has just made the product on their site and is waiting for it to come in. Can't wait to pick a set of these up for the slappy setup.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4368 on: November 18, 2021, 12:51:27 AM »
I just want some 55mm Radials. I know some exist. One day.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4369 on: November 18, 2021, 03:04:11 AM »

Also worth keeping in mind some stores put products up before their release to generate clicks + boost SEO. I would bet any store that says out of stock has just made the product on their site and is waiting for it to come in. Can't wait to pick a set of these up for the slappy setup.

Yeah I kind of wonder about release dates, but we don't really have any of that here in Australia.  If stock is in, then it goes up right away, but especially if something is super limited, it wouldn't even be listed and just bought through those who know in the shop, etc.

Re "Not in stock but list it anyway" thought - a curious one too.  But also in saying that, I know some things that did get listed were sold out in seconds from when the shop email went out, which was nuts, to say the least.

Hopefully your place gets them soon enough (or any at all) so you can get on them.

I had to recheck the Oski Lurpiv truck thread, then realised it was you asking for them there.

The 56mm coming out soon enough would be a good option though.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4370 on: November 18, 2021, 05:08:25 AM »
The 56mm coming out soon enough would be a good option though.

Yes it was me. Not really stoked about the Radial Fulls. The Radials hit that sweet spot between the fat conical fulls and narrow ride patch classics. A Radial full would simply be too much on the conical full side of things for me (do we even know the dimensions? i assume it would be a radial with a wider ride patch). If it's not the Radials, it will have to be the classics I guess.

thanksgiving

« Reply #4371 on: November 18, 2021, 01:14:02 PM »
My local has those SLAG 56mm radials, so theres a few sets floating around. Pretty sure they came in 55 as well!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1320
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4372 on: November 18, 2021, 02:11:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My local has those SLAG 56mm radials, so theres a few sets floating around. Pretty sure they came in 55 as well!
AFAIK those were 53, 54 and 56 only. Lots of deals on them though and the 56s were natural color but that size may be sold through by now.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Hazesack

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4373 on: November 18, 2021, 02:33:36 PM »
i am thinking about getting some 56mm V-Shape Loopholes for a Polar Surf Jr. and Indy 159's. I currently ride this deck as a cruiser with 60mm 78A Wheels, but i feel the need to take it to curbs and in the parking lot, as winter in germany is kinda shitty and our parks around here suck balls.

Anyone here ridden the V Shape Loopholes, or has any other recomendation between 56-58mm?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4374 on: November 18, 2021, 04:53:24 PM »
i am thinking about getting some 56mm V-Shape Loopholes for a Polar Surf Jr. and Indy 159's. I currently ride this deck as a cruiser with 60mm 78A Wheels, but i feel the need to take it to curbs and in the parking lot, as winter in germany is kinda shitty and our parks around here suck balls.

Anyone here ridden the V Shape Loopholes, or has any other recomendation between 56-58mm?

some might say to go for the 95 nfg v-cut (you are in germany which might limit you i'm guessing) but the 56's feel just fine on crusty ground for me. i have them on a curb board, specifically the 56's, and 3 sets of 54's on other decks. love the way the v-cuts handle and have 0 complaints. hth!

thanksgiving

« Reply #4375 on: November 18, 2021, 05:34:13 PM »

sorry for going off topic here, but could you get away with 60mm wheels and no riser on the surf jr?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4376 on: November 18, 2021, 06:07:15 PM »

I’ve ridden v-cuts on a polar surf and it is probably the most fun board I’ve ridden in the last 10 years, highly recommended! Currently have them on a passport spade shape which is very similar to surf anyway:

Always puts a massive smile on my dial when I’m riding it!

Hazesack

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4377 on: November 19, 2021, 01:25:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
sorry for going off topic here, but could you get away with 60mm wheels and no riser on the surf jr?

I have the Surf jr. with wheel wells I think it works, but initially I ordered risers as well. Didn’t ride it in a while though.

Damn the PassPort Deck is a beauty. That’s why I really want to give the Polar a go, as my normal deck is a twin tail

Thanks guys I might need to see if there is a possibility to order 95s

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4378 on: November 19, 2021, 02:37:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
AFAIK those were 53, 54 and 56 only. Lots of deals on them though and the 56s were natural color but that size may be sold through by now.

I started to reply here, then relocated my reply into the Spitfire wheels thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.3720

Expand Quote

[close]

I have the Surf jr. with wheel wells I think it works, but initially I ordered risers as well. Didn’t ride it in a while though.

Damn the PassPort Deck is a beauty. That’s why I really want to give the Polar a go, as my normal deck is a twin tail

Thanks guys I might need to see if there is a possibility to order 95s

I feel like any board with wheel wells makes such a big difference on looser trucks and or bigger wheels, with it giving the board an average of 1/8 to 1/4" extra turning (which is a significant amount).

Been building some cruisers and enjoy the feeling of not having such tall risers on them, with loose trucks and big soft wheels, that is almost a recipe for disaster, but by using an angle grinder and making wheel wells in a couple of boards, I can get away with almost no riser, or at the most a 1/8" riser which allows the board to still feel normal and not super tall.

Normal wheels are not as bad as soft wheels of the same size, but I still get a little wheelbite on Indy standard 55mm tall trucks and normal 60mm Spitfire wheels, so I often have a very minimal riser in there (1mm home made rubber cut out) but if you don't have loose trucks, you can get away with a lot more.

Vert guys I knew often rode big wheels and no risers and never got wheelbite, but they had pretty tight trucks too.

I guess it just comes down to how much you like to turn, as well as what you can get away with in terms of the board concave - steeper side rails will allow more turn, wider trucks so the wheels are not as close to the deck, or check where the wheels touch and carve a bit out of the board with a grinder, sander or whatever you have at hand.  It should not weaken the deck at all and definitely allow for a lot more turn.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4379 on: November 19, 2021, 06:49:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How big are you? I am skating mine (the Paul Grund version with no wheel wells) with 60mm classics on Ace 44s (stock) with just the 1/16" shock pad. I'm around 200lbs and I am not getting any noticeable bite, so if you're lighter you could do no risers (at least with Aces).

I also tried it with Venture 5.8s and Indy 149s. No bite on the Ventures (no risers) until I replaced the top washer. Indys bit a lot, but I also didn't swap the bushings and stock Indys are way too soft for me. Actually going to try it again today but with Bones hard bushings.