Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790703 times)

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 196
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4380 on: November 19, 2021, 08:24:58 AM »

I'm going to try these out either today after work or tomorrow on my day off. These are the 54mm v cuts I think? They are a very good looking wide wheel. Can't wait to skate them.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #4381 on: November 19, 2021, 09:11:48 AM »
What are these Loophole wheels offering that one couldn’t get from Spitfire or Bones? Are they really something other than another wheels from Creative Urethane?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4382 on: November 19, 2021, 09:21:16 AM »
What are these Loophole wheels offering that one couldn’t get from Spitfire or Bones? Are they really something other than another wheels from Creative Urethane?
Yeah, they're a different thing. First off, the V shape is what the og classic should have been. It's a bulldozer in the best way--plows over anything, and fast. In my experience, the urethane almost feels like a hybrid of the 99 and 101 spit fires. It has the easy, almost icy, slide of the 101, but it handles the crust and grips the ground like a 99.

Hazesack

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4383 on: November 19, 2021, 10:32:57 AM »
i have only started skating back in march again after 15 years off the board and was lurking SLAP to long, got fully addicted with the madness. I think i need those Loopholes and maybe throw some Bones Hards in there.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4384 on: November 19, 2021, 01:49:58 PM »

They're made in the bay by actual skaters who go and ride the wheels after they clock out. The guy who runs the manufacturing side of Loophole also skates and has been for 30+ years, has a physical chemistry doctorate with a focus in polymers (polyurethane is an organic polymer), and has much more strict control on the process than he did when he was the chemist over at Pointech (Spitfire).

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #4385 on: November 19, 2021, 02:46:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i am thinking about getting some 56mm V-Shape Loopholes for a Polar Surf Jr. and Indy 159's. I currently ride this deck as a cruiser with 60mm 78A Wheels, but i feel the need to take it to curbs and in the parking lot, as winter in germany is kinda shitty and our parks around here suck balls.

Anyone here ridden the V Shape Loopholes, or has any other recomendation between 56-58mm?
[close]
sorry for going off topic here, but could you get away with 60mm wheels and no riser on the surf jr?
[close]

How big are you? I am skating mine (the Paul Grund version with no wheel wells) with 60mm classics on Ace 44s (stock) with just the 1/16" shock pad. I'm around 200lbs and I am not getting any noticeable bite, so if you're lighter you could do no risers (at least with Aces).

I also tried it with Venture 5.8s and Indy 149s. No bite on the Ventures (no risers) until I replaced the top washer. Indys bit a lot, but I also didn't swap the bushings and stock Indys are way too soft for me. Actually going to try it again today but with Bones hard bushings.
i have the wheel well mt fuji one and am like 150lbs with loose aces. going to be setting up 44 af1s though so i don’t think the wheels will even benefit from the wheel wells all that much as they are closer to the middle. thanks for the in depth response... i think i just have to go skate and eat shit or not eat shit

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4386 on: November 19, 2021, 06:50:11 PM »
Kinda “need” to get some new wheels, but just can’t pull the trigger. Preferred local shop doesn’t have anything I’m into and isn’t restocking until spring. Bitterly regretting not getting some 56mm 97a conical fulls. I’ve got some unridden 54mm conical fulls and slime balls, but they’re essentially the same as the worn down 56’s I’m riding now.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4387 on: November 19, 2021, 07:24:08 PM »
Is a large but slim wheel faster than a smaller but wide wheel? Say, for instance, you have a 60mm spit classic and a 54mm spit conical full in the same duro. Which would be faster?

I'm partially wondering why my 55mm 99a spit og classics feel slow on crust. Part of me knows I need to go down in durometer but this size issue is going to drive me crazy and I can't conceptualize what shape I need to get...

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #4388 on: November 19, 2021, 07:34:45 PM »
Is a large but slim wheel faster than a smaller but wide wheel? Say, for instance, you have a 60mm spit classic and a 54mm spit conical full in the same duro. Which would be faster?

I'm partially wondering why my 55mm 99a spit og classics feel slow on crust. Part of me knows I need to go down in durometer but this size issue is going to drive me crazy and I can't conceptualize what shape I need to get...

Generally, I'd say that diameter is more important for speed as long as you're on very smooth ground. For crust, however, a wide contact patch is the most important variable to get speed. A small, hard wheel will always vibrate a lot, but still roll fast if it's wide enough.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4389 on: November 19, 2021, 07:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Generally, I'd say that diameter is more important for speed as long as you're on very smooth ground. For crust, however, a wide contact patch is the most important variable to get speed. A small, hard wheel will always vibrate a lot, but still roll fast if it's wide enough.

Ok - so in this case a conical full in 97a would be faster than my 99a og classics, I imagine, especially if I go up in size. Was thinking about trying 97a classics but it sounds like I should stick with conical or cubic shapes for the winter then. Thank you!

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4390 on: November 24, 2021, 11:19:26 AM »
Seriously tempted to get these wood roller skate wheels just for shits and giggles. I would imagine they'll skate like shit, but I'm already getting trucks from them for a Polarizer-esque setup I'm planning out, so I might as well get these too. They're 50mm x 32mm.

https://www.suregrip.com/product-p/ww.htm

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4391 on: November 24, 2021, 06:16:46 PM »
Expand Quote
zach allen just posted a photo of kader’s 57mm radial fulls. hopefully that’ll hit the market soon. that shape is dope
[close]
So hyped on these. thank you Kader for helping the youth see the light of big wheels.

pic of the post for reference:

Speaking of Kader, he’s got a sick little promo going for those wheels. Not too many skaters with signature weed products? Or are there?

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4392 on: November 24, 2021, 07:59:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
zach allen just posted a photo of kader’s 57mm radial fulls. hopefully that’ll hit the market soon. that shape is dope
[close]
So hyped on these. thank you Kader for helping the youth see the light of big wheels.

pic of the post for reference:

[close]

Speaking of Kader, he’s got a sick little promo going for those wheels. Not too many skaters with signature weed products? Or are there?

holy shit them 60s look wide af

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #4393 on: November 25, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, they're a different thing. First off, the V shape is what the og classic should have been. It's a bulldozer in the best way--plows over anything, and fast. In my experience, the urethane almost feels like a hybrid of the 99 and 101 spit fires. It has the easy, almost icy, slide of the 101, but it handles the crust and grips the ground like a 99.

Second this
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4394 on: November 25, 2021, 11:25:44 PM »

OJ From Concentrate Hardlines
Pros: they were on sale for $15
Cons: they definitely skate like a $15 wheel

Some lucky/unlucky kid is going to get a new set of wheels for free tomorrow. Right out of the package they felt oddly soft, but still hard, somehow. They didn’t seem to want to roll and felt like I was riding across sticky ground at each of the three spots I skated. They didn’t seem to grip that well when I powerslid. They seem to be a low rebound wheel. After 23 years of skating I learned the importance, and the meaning of, “rebound”. I hadn’t skated a non-premium wheel since the Spitfire F1 came out over a decade ago. Lesson learned that I should’ve checked this thread before trying something new out
fuck you bama

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4395 on: November 26, 2021, 03:35:24 AM »

Some lucky/unlucky kid is going to get a new set of wheels for free tomorrow. Right out of the package they felt oddly soft, but still hard, somehow. They didn’t seem to want to roll and felt like I was riding across sticky ground at each of the three spots I skated. They didn’t seem to grip that well when I powerslid. They seem to be a low rebound wheel. After 23 years of skating I learned the importance, and the meaning of, “rebound”. I hadn’t skated a non-premium wheel since the Spitfire F1 came out over a decade ago. Lesson learned that I should’ve checked this thread before trying something new out

Damn that is a pain.

Were all three places on similar ground surface, bitumen, concrete, other?

I know when someone asks about a cheaper wheel, I often try to steer them away from the cheapies like this, but they still have a place in the market for juniors or beginners, with even some others I know who like them, but as you said, the board I had a roll on with them just felt weird, more than anything, but most wheels that are not Spitfire F4 seem to feel like that, a hard wheel that is not so fast but that also doesn't slide and grips a lot.

Perfect for kids though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sketchyrider

« Reply #4396 on: November 26, 2021, 07:43:47 AM »
price point wheels are always a downer. they are fine for an extra dork around setup or for a beginner.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4397 on: November 26, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn that is a pain.

I know when someone asks about a cheaper wheel, I often try to steer them away from the cheapies like this, but they still have a place in the market for juniors or beginners, with even some others I know who like them, but as you said, the board I had a roll on with them just felt weird, more than anything, but most wheels that are not Spitfire F4 seem to feel like that, a hard wheel that is not so fast but that also doesn't slide and grips a lot.

Perfect for kids though.
asphalt parking lot, sealcoated asphalt, and concrete street. I’m not going to waste my time and pretend to like them. I’ll just leave them at the skatepark
fuck you bama

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #4398 on: November 26, 2021, 12:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn that is a pain.

Perfect for kids though.
[close]
asphalt parking lot, sealcoated asphalt, and concrete street. I’m not going to waste my time and pretend to like them. I’ll just leave them at the skatepark

Notice when you drop your board down there is no bounce up to your feet. Thud.

The OJ wheels I had were almost dry feeling.

They felt harder than 99a but slower than 99a.

After a few sessions you feel almost every imperfection in the wheel.

OJ regular formulas are the closest wheel you can get to clay wheels.

I am sure their Nomads are better but I can’t buy any wheels from NHS when they produce such terrible wheels knowing they suck.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4399 on: November 26, 2021, 05:56:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn that is a pain.

Perfect for kids though.
[close]
[close]

Notice when you drop your board down there is no bounce up to your feet. Thud.

The OJ wheels I had were almost dry feeling.

They felt harder than 99a but slower than 99a.

After a few sessions you feel almost every imperfection in the wheel.

OJ regular formulas are the closest wheel you can get to clay wheels.

I am sure their Nomads are better but I can’t buy any wheels from NHS when they produce such terrible wheels knowing they suck.
The Elite formula is pretty good. The Juice line and keyframes are all good for cruiser wheels. I usually stay far away from NHS in general, but OJ’s marketing got to me. I’m tempted to give NFG’s a try just to try something different
fuck you bama

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4400 on: November 26, 2021, 06:40:21 PM »
Nfg, loophole, formula 4…similar?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4401 on: November 26, 2021, 07:15:16 PM »
Nfg, loophole, formula 4 similar?

loophole & nfg are the same, but this really sums up the comparison to f4

Expand Quote
[close]

that being said, i really enjoy them, but if you're looking for more grip try their 95a which i also endorse

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4402 on: November 26, 2021, 07:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Nfg, loophole, formula 4 similar?
[close]

loophole & nfg are the same, but this really sums up the comparison to f4

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

that being said, i really enjoy them, but if you're looking for more grip try their 95a which i also endorse

Thank you

I’m looking for wheels that unlock absolutely shit roads, but still feel like skateboard wheels.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #4403 on: November 27, 2021, 05:35:26 AM »
So Loophole also makes at least some of the Road Crew/Scram wheels, I have learned. Could be a cheaper option, especially with all the sales and those wheels being sold through major companies.

As for a wheel that will make the shittiest roads skateable, I am once again telling you to get 97a Spitfires. This wheel really solved the issue for me of the crusty northwest parking lot which will rattle your teeth loose.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #4404 on: November 27, 2021, 06:06:30 AM »
So Loophole also makes at least some of the Road Crew/Scram wheels, I have learned. Could be a cheaper option, especially with all the sales and those wheels being sold through major companies.

As for a wheel that will make the shittiest roads skateable, I am once again telling you to get 97a Spitfires. This wheel really solved the issue for me of the crusty northwest parking lot which will rattle your teeth loose.

You can find the big 58mm 97a conical full at skateshops right now and probably on sale somewhere, those are sure to beat the crust. They make a 54mm conical full as well. Check the sale thread!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4405 on: November 27, 2021, 06:13:29 AM »

Same area of the world. Yes the ground is not ideal.
97a classics are in the rotation.
I have what I can only describe as an irrational urge, to buy og classics in the original formula.
F4s are just so good. They all last forever, but end up looking like baked potatoes

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4406 on: November 27, 2021, 07:26:56 AM »

I seem to recall reading about some unhappiness a while back regarding Road Crew getting a whole lot of wheels from NFG (makers of Loophole) and then not paying them or something, so they are definitely not getting any more NFG wheels any time soon.

The most recent Road Crew wheels were said to be from Creative Urethane (same as many other mid range brands - decent wheels, but definitely not NFG / Spitfire F4 / Bones type of things) but again that is only from reading things on here and hearing what others have been saying, along with looking at some detailed pics of the wheels, earlier NFG for sure, but more recently definitely not, those ones looking much more white and of the same consistency as others who use Creative for their wheels.

In saying that, Road Crew have made a few really interesting shapes and sizes, some much like the Slimeballs / Mini Cubics as well as all the more common shapes and sizes.

Worth looking up anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #4407 on: November 27, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »

Black Market has the 60mm V cut Road Crew wheels for $10 a set right now. Saw them the other day and thought they looked like NFG/Loophole wheels

https://www.blackmarketskates.com/road-crew-wheels-60mm.html

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4408 on: November 27, 2021, 12:18:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I seem to recall reading about some unhappiness a while back regarding Road Crew getting a whole lot of wheels from NFG (makers of Loophole) and then not paying them or something, so they are definitely not getting any more NFG wheels any time soon.

The most recent Road Crew wheels were said to be from Creative Urethane (same as many other mid range brands - decent wheels, but definitely not NFG / Spitfire F4 / Bones type of things) but again that is only from reading things on here and hearing what others have been saying, along with looking at some detailed pics of the wheels, earlier NFG for sure, but more recently definitely not, those ones looking much more white and of the same consistency as others who use Creative for their wheels.

In saying that, Road Crew have made a few really interesting shapes and sizes, some much like the Slimeballs / Mini Cubics as well as all the more common shapes and sizes.

Worth looking up anyway.

This is correct. Around the time NFG was starting up, Road Crew ordered a bunch of wheels from them. You guys may remember that the early NFGs had issues with keeping the color consistent, as well as they were dealing with excessive bubbles, which they’ve gotten a lot better at over time. Anyways, the Road Crew guys were not happy with how the wheels they ordered looked, so they basically demanded in an aggressive, in-your-face, bullying manner to The Wizard’s business partner who was at their shop at the time that they take them and not pay for them. The Wizard told them to fuck off over the phone, but after he hung up The Wizard’s business partner, who was apparently fearing for his safety, caved and let them walk off with the wheels at a pretty unreasonable discount behind The Wizard’s back. I can’t remember the numbers but it wasn’t nearly enough for NFG to turn a profit on them. From what I’ve heard since then those Road Crew NFGs eventually became Scram wheels as well.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4409 on: November 27, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Black Market has the 60mm V cut Road Crew wheels for $10 a set right now. Saw them the other day and thought they looked like NFG/Loophole wheels

https://www.blackmarketskates.com/road-crew-wheels-60mm.html

Thanks for posting that link, used their black friday code on their banner and got those for $8.50/$17 shipped. I have the 60mm V Cut in the 95a and love them, been curious about the standard NFG/Loophole formula and this deal was too good to pass up.