Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777956 times)

B-Rad is the Raddest, europa1991 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4920 on: May 07, 2022, 12:44:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if it’s common knowledge and just new to me, but the professor posted on instagram about riding the new bones wheels. 93a! Kinda surprised they’re going that soft. I’ll still try them though.
[close]

I've seen the new Bones/PP formula referred to as SSF so I will call it that.

I've gotten to ride the SSF 97a a bunch. They feel almost exactly like a 101-103a wheel. They feel unmistakably harder than F4 99a.

They have the ground-feel of a 103a wheel in pretty much every way, but they don't just grind to a halt on rough streets. You know how your feet vibrate on really rough streets with 101a+ wheels? These still do that, except you maintain your speed better while its doing that? Its weird, it took me a while to realize that despite the vibration, I wasn't slowing down as much as the vibrations were communicating to me that I should be?

The SSF 97a slide much better than F4 97a. They take a little bit more effort to break into a powerslide than F4 99a, but they slide well once it does break into it. They maintain a healthy traction during slides too, so they don't turn into ice cubes like some other wheels (STF 99a naturals, I'm looking at you). They actually revert/180-powerslide better than Spitfire 99a, which is interesting. Really fun to spin around on. I was trying to master 360 powerslides on them, haha. Spent a lot of my time riding them doing that.

I've heard the technology behind the formula is relying on vibration for slide rather than slickness. Its really interesting... it has a unique slide because of that reliance on vibration. They also have a nice "Bones bark" to them too. A loud crisp wheel. Doesn't sound like a soft wheel at all.

The SSF 97a was too hard for me as someone who lives in a neighborhood that probably realistically warrants F4 97a wheels. For context, F4 99a barely get the job done here, so a harder wheel is a no-go for sure. Hardness aside, I was really impressed with the wheel. If you were to just look at it as a traditional 103a wheel, its a solid 103a wheel in every respect.

I could see whichever durometer ends up "feeling like 99a" could have real potential to become a serious F4 competitor. A wheel that feels like 99a but maintains speed over rough streets and rough spots? Seems pretty useful in a country that's a capitalist austerity hellhole with a crumbling infrastructure.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt since I only got to ride the most extreme end of the spectrum. I have no idea if any or all of the above will still be relevant to the 90a, 93a, and 95a... but I have a feeling either 93a or 95a could have potential to be that "sweet spot".

Hell yeah finally someone who rode them. Thanks for letting us know, I'm so hyped to try these. Probably would have gotten the 97a ones but now I'm gonna go lower.
Did you try them on any slick surfaces?

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4921 on: May 07, 2022, 01:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not sure if it’s common knowledge and just new to me, but the professor posted on instagram about riding the new bones wheels. 93a! Kinda surprised they’re going that soft. I’ll still try them though.
[close]

I've gotten to ride the SSF 97a a bunch. They feel almost exactly like a 101-103a wheel. They feel unmistakably harder than F4 99a.

They have the ground-feel of a 103a wheel in pretty much every way, but they don't just grind to a halt on rough streets. You know how your feet vibrate on really rough streets with 101a+ wheels? These still do that, except you maintain your speed better while its doing that? Its weird, it took me a while to realize that despite the vibration, I wasn't slowing down as much as the vibrations were communicating to me that I should be?

The SSF 97a slide much better than F4 97a. They take a little bit more effort to break into a powerslide than F4 99a, but they slide well once it does break into it. They maintain a healthy traction during slides too, so they don't turn into ice cubes like some other wheels (STF 99a naturals, I'm looking at you). They actually revert/180-powerslide better than Spitfire 99a, which is interesting. Really fun to spin around on. I was trying to master 360 powerslides on them, haha. Spent a lot of my time riding them doing that.

I've heard the technology behind the formula is relying on vibration for slide rather than slickness. Its really interesting... it has a unique slide because of that reliance on vibration. They also have a nice "Bones bark" to them too. A loud crisp wheel. Doesn't sound like a soft wheel at all.

The SSF 97a was too hard for me as someone who lives in a neighborhood that probably realistically warrants F4 97a wheels. For context, F4 99a barely get the job done here, so a harder wheel is a no-go for sure. Hardness aside, I was really impressed with the wheel. If you were to just look at it as a traditional 103a wheel, its a solid 103a wheel in every respect.

I could see whichever durometer ends up "feeling like 99a" could have real potential to become a serious F4 competitor. A wheel that feels like 99a but maintains speed over rough streets and rough spots? Seems pretty useful in a country that's a capitalist austerity hellhole with a crumbling infrastructure.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt since I only got to ride the most extreme end of the spectrum. I have no idea if any or all of the above will still be relevant to the 90a, 93a, and 95a... but I have a feeling either 93a or 95a could have potential to be that "sweet spot".
[close]

Hell yeah finally someone who rode them. Thanks for letting us know, I'm so hyped to try these. Probably would have gotten the 97a ones but now I'm gonna go lower.
Did you try them on any slick surfaces?

No, I haven't tried them on slick surfaces. Only street and sidewalk.

Oh also, I haven't grinded on them yet, before anyone asks.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4922 on: May 07, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sign me up for some 97a!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #4923 on: May 08, 2022, 06:52:39 AM »
Does anyone have a clue when these Bones wheels might be available? Living in the Northwest, I have been a big proponent of the 97a Spitfires - they unlock a number of spots for me that were otherwise unskateable, but I'm not brand loyalist, and if something works better, then you can sign me up.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4924 on: May 08, 2022, 07:10:03 AM »
Does anyone have a clue when these Bones wheels might be available? Living in the Northwest, I have been a big proponent of the 97a Spitfires - they unlock a number of spots for me that were otherwise unskateable, but I'm not brand loyalist, and if something works better, then you can sign me up.

From what I've heard, its going to be sometime this year... but I don't know anything beyond that.

I think from a business perspective it would probably make sense for them to release during the summer when everyone is skating the most, but who knows what logistics might get in the way of that.

Its also worth noting that the same formula will be used by Powell Peralta. I think they will be tackling the softer formulas 90a and 93a (like Andy Anderson skating the 93a on PP's Instagram) while Bones handles the 95a and 97a? So you might have to get a PP wheel to get a soft enough feeling wheel for your purposes.

Again, if 97a feels like 101-103a, the 95a might feel like 99-101a? If you want the type of smooth ride a 97a gives, that might not kick in until 93a. But I'm completely talking out of my ass. We will have to wait and see when people get their hands on the other duros.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4925 on: May 08, 2022, 10:56:24 AM »
Back in the stone-age when petro was the base for wheels, 97a were actually hard and slid great (the feel that is most associated with F4s); beyond 85s you had 95a or 97a as your 'hard' wheels. It'd be great if this 97a acts like a 101+, and slides well/better than current 95/97a offergins...but you'd have to have something pretty damn special to topple the 99a spits for all terrain skating.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #4926 on: May 08, 2022, 05:30:25 PM »
I have been skating some curbs on some not so smooth ground lately. I put on a new set of 53mm Spitfire OG Classics, in the non formula 4. Wow…they are great on this rough ground. Like, as in ‘I’ll probably skate non formula 4 spitfires from now on’ kind of great. I tried a set of F4s there to compare and they didnt handle the ground as well. Am I the only one who has ever noticed this? Maybe I got some mislabeled shit.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4927 on: May 08, 2022, 05:46:52 PM »
Yeah OG formula is surprisingly good in the streets. Spitfire did actually tweak it a couple of years ago. I found it still wears  quicker than F4 though. I think I still prefer the 97a F4 for a rugged terrain wheel.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #4928 on: May 08, 2022, 07:30:38 PM »
The sfw manderson shape and duro was rad for rough ground.
I liked og formula, I stopped skating them when stfs came out because the bones lasted so much longer (without flat spots), but the stfs always felt like shit: hard plastic.
I’d try the original formula again.
I have some 97a f4s and they are great, outside of the skatepark.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4929 on: May 08, 2022, 07:42:18 PM »
I have been skating some curbs on some not so smooth ground lately. I put on a new set of 53mm Spitfire OG Classics, in the non formula 4. Wow…they are great on this rough ground. Like, as in ‘I’ll probably skate non formula 4 spitfires from now on’ kind of great. I tried a set of F4s there to compare and they didnt handle the ground as well. Am I the only one who has ever noticed this? Maybe I got some mislabeled shit.

There were two very distinct differences in people with regard to Spitfire wheels - one group who hated them and said they always flatspotted and the other group who loved them.

I was in the second group (and still have a lot of OG formula Spitfires on the go) but the main thing to note was the first few sessions or wear in period was the most important.  Straight from the factory bright white were always a bit softer and more likely to flatspot or wear faster than older more weathered (yellowed) wheels, so when I used to go places and shops would have the old stock often on clearance I would buy it all and be happier for it.  Once it had that cured and sometimes more than others yellowed look, those wheels were the best for hardness, longevity and minimal to no flatspots.  Sure I could still flatspot them if I tried hard enough, but they felt better to me than any other wheel I could get my hands on.

When Formula Four came out, it was a weird change, but I got used to it and that is what I have been on for the last however many years now, minimal to no issues, right out of the packet and perfect, so I hadn't really used the older Spitfires a whole lot on my normal boards, but they still go great on any other boards I am setting up and mixing / matching with when I do use them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #4930 on: May 08, 2022, 07:56:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There were two very distinct differences in people with regard to Spitfire wheels - one group who hated them and said they always flatspotted and the other group who loved them.

I was in the second group (and still have a lot of OG formula Spitfires on the go) but the main thing to note was the first few sessions or wear in period was the most important.  Straight from the factory bright white were always a bit softer and more likely to flatspot or wear faster than older more weathered (yellowed) wheels, so when I used to go places and shops would have the old stock often on clearance I would buy it all and be happier for it.  Once it had that cured and sometimes more than others yellowed look, those wheels were the best for hardness, longevity and minimal to no flatspots.  Sure I could still flatspot them if I tried hard enough, but they felt better to me than any other wheel I could get my hands on.

When Formula Four came out, it was a weird change, but I got used to it and that is what I have been on for the last however many years now, minimal to no issues, right out of the packet and perfect, so I hadn't really used the older Spitfires a whole lot on my normal boards, but they still go great on any other boards I am setting up and mixing / matching with when I do use them.

The curing time rings true. I remember the myth (or was it?) of putting the wheels in the freezer before using them. Definitely did that.
I have for sure been an unnecessary dick to some folks on here about breaking in trucks/bushings. I used to want to circumvent this process, swap bushings to some aftermarket’s straight away, and/or crank the bushings down. So I should have compassion. Never considered breaking in the wheels.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4931 on: May 08, 2022, 10:45:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was just thinking about this. I’ve been riding some classic formula’s that are 3 years old, but saw little use until February. They’ve taken on a very pleasant potato hued patina and feel very similar to the 99 f4s I was riding last fall. In fact, they feel so nice I was half considering ordering the same wheel in f4 to compare.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4932 on: May 09, 2022, 02:02:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I was just thinking about this. I’ve been riding some classic formula’s that are 3 years old, but saw little use until February. They’ve taken on a very pleasant potato hued patina and feel very similar to the 99 f4s I was riding last fall. In fact, they feel so nice I was half considering ordering the same wheel in f4 to compare.

Not quite the image I was after, but you can easily see the difference between the old well used set and the new in plastic set (that is usually kept locked away in a dark place) with the older urethane compounds for Spitfire.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPuEOuslnNd/

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4933 on: May 09, 2022, 06:29:26 AM »
I bought some 57mm Bigheads in the classic formula a couple months ago and I fucking love them. I was very, very surprised by how much I took to them. I did skate these back in the day but I don't think it's a nostalgia thing, it was one set and that was like 18 years ago. 

I moved some stuff around and ended up with my F4s back on my main board and the whole session I just wanted the classic formula back.   Now that I know I can be happy with non-f4, I did pick up some SML wheels recently. Haven't skates those yet though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4934 on: May 09, 2022, 04:26:01 PM »
I bought some 57mm Bigheads in the classic formula a couple months ago and I fucking love them. I was very, very surprised by how much I took to them. I did skate these back in the day but I don't think it's a nostalgia thing, it was one set and that was like 18 years ago. 

I moved some stuff around and ended up with my F4s back on my main board and the whole session I just wanted the classic formula back.   Now that I know I can be happy with non-f4, I did pick up some SML wheels recently. Haven't skates those yet though.

Are the .smls the AG formula? I really want to give them a go (or just get some OG classics); and not care about flatting them, just to get some nostalgia feel.

What I really want is an F1 feeling wheel...they screeched sooo goood...tempted to nab some hazards as aell.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 06:40:04 PM by Xen »

chris.

« Reply #4935 on: May 09, 2022, 05:05:21 PM »
They are the AG, best I know.  From the Still Life series which I'm almost positive are AG. I do wish their wheels were labeled a little more clearly. Also just spent like 20 minutes rolling around earlier and they're gooooood.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #4936 on: May 09, 2022, 05:23:48 PM »
Yeah SMLs are on my radar, would love a set of 49mms.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4937 on: May 09, 2022, 06:22:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Not quite the image I was after, but you can easily see the difference between the old well used set and the new in plastic set (that is usually kept locked away in a dark place) with the older urethane compounds for Spitfire.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPuEOuslnNd/

I want to amend my earlier statement to say I don’t quite trust the grip on slick skatelite like I would F4.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4938 on: May 09, 2022, 06:47:06 PM »
They are the AG, best I know.  From the Still Life series which I'm almost positive are AG. I do wish their wheels were labeled a little more clearly. Also just spent like 20 minutes rolling around earlier and they're gooooood.

You are correct, tho I've seen some still life wheels labeled as OG, so I've held off. FFS print AG/OG on the wheel so we know what we're getting...smi

If it wasn't for a post from ages back about AG being (Austin G's) need for an OG spit feel, I'd have never known what the real difference is.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4939 on: May 10, 2022, 05:29:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I want to amend my earlier statement to say I don’t quite trust the grip on slick skatelite like I would F4.

My big old worn down (so wide contact patch) wheels were great on the wooden / skatelite surfaces I rode them on, but I think I prefer the softer wheels on those more than any normal 99, no matter how weathered or aged.

Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry with these things, for myself especially.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4940 on: May 10, 2022, 06:48:03 AM »
What's the verdict on the OJ Mini Juice wheels for someone looking for a small, soft cruiser wheel?

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4941 on: May 10, 2022, 08:51:13 AM »
WRT the new bones formula discussion on the last page: a buddy of mine managed to get me a pair of the new Bones formula, 93a classic shaped wheels. I haven’t broken them all the way in yet (still have the ridges on the wheel), but I’ve probably put about 4-5 hours in them so far, at both a smooth skatepark and a crusty DIY. They definitely eat up the roughness while still managing to work as a pretty effective “trick wheel.” I could slide lip slides and tail slides on transition, with about the same feel as my spitfire 99s. That being said, tricks with any sort of pinch didn’t seem to work as well/got stuck a little. I think it has something to do with the way the wheel punches against the board? Mostly happened with feebles/smiths/crooks. All in all, though, I think they’re going to be a solid alternative to Spitfires 97 f4s, and NFG 95 formula.

No clue when these will be available.

I’m going to skate them some more today. I can post some pictures later if anyone’s interested

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #4942 on: May 10, 2022, 10:54:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You are correct, tho I've seen some still life wheels labeled as OG, so I've held off. FFS print AG/OG on the wheel so we know what we're getting...smi
Expand Quote
[close]

If it wasn't for a post from ages back about AG being (Austin G's) need for an OG spit feel, I'd have never known what the real difference is.

We appreciate the support and feedback. The card stock in the back of the packaging is different for OG and AG. The AG has a quote from Austyn himself. That being said we should do a better job of identifying what they are and are looking into maybe a little round sticker with AG and OG so it's more clear. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4943 on: May 10, 2022, 10:59:44 AM »
WRT the new bones formula discussion on the last page: a buddy of mine managed to get me a pair of the new Bones formula, 93a classic shaped wheels. I haven’t broken them all the way in yet (still have the ridges on the wheel), but I’ve probably put about 4-5 hours in them so far, at both a smooth skatepark and a crusty DIY. They definitely eat up the roughness while still managing to work as a pretty effective “trick wheel.” I could slide lip slides and tail slides on transition, with about the same feel as my spitfire 99s. That being said, tricks with any sort of pinch didn’t seem to work as well/got stuck a little. I think it has something to do with the way the wheel punches against the board? Mostly happened with feebles/smiths/crooks. All in all, though, I think they’re going to be a solid alternative to Spitfires 97 f4s, and NFG 95 formula.

No clue when these will be available.

I’m going to skate them some more today. I can post some pictures later if anyone’s interested

Makes sense given how they are claiming a different 'vibration frequency' (rolling) when pinched you are not getting the same vibrations as you would on the street since they are pushing against the board/locked into place.

Still, sounds like a fun 'real street' wheel and might open some crusty spots.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4944 on: May 12, 2022, 10:00:05 AM »

chris.

« Reply #4945 on: May 12, 2022, 10:24:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

We appreciate the support and feedback. The card stock in the back of the packaging is different for OG and AG. The AG has a quote from Austyn himself. That being said we should do a better job of identifying what they are and are looking into maybe a little round sticker with AG and OG so it's more clear.

Looks like my set are OG them... Mine just had the "these wheels don't suck" card.  Oh well.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4946 on: May 12, 2022, 02:43:51 PM »
Got to try the new Bones/PP formula in 95a (I'll call it SSF). I definitely like these more than the 97a (which were too hard for me).

In terms of what they feel like:
SSF 97a = ~103a
SSF 95a  = ~101a
SSF 93a = ???? (guessing they will feel like 98-99a?)
SSF 90a = ???? (guessing they will feel like 95-96a?)

The SSF 95a are definitely slightly harder than F4 99a. The 95a is where it starts to become a bit more versatile for skating streets (unlike the 97a in my opinion). If I had to guess, the 93a is probably going to be the wheel that catches on as it will probably feel a lot more like a 99a.

All the good attributes of the 97a still apply to the 95a, except the wheel can handle a bit more crust. Still a very fast wheel on smooth streets. Still powerspins/reverts really nicely (with slightly more grip than the 97a). Super fun revert with a satisfying vibrating "bark" that is really addictive. You have to try them to feel what I'm talking about.

While F4s have the slide we all are familiar with, these new wheels have a more fun vibrating bark to them while reverting that feels smooth while still biting the ground with traction. The powerslide is still a bit hard to initiate though.

My main complaint about the 95a (and 97a) is that while they maintain speed on street SURFACES better than the hard wheels they mimic, they struggle with sidewalk cracks and foreign objects the same as a hard wheel. I think the 95a does a sufficient job with that stuff, but still not quite as good as F4 99a. F4 99a sort of "bounce" up cracks, while these "clack" up them.

I think the SSF 93a will be my wheel personally. I'm so excited to eventually try it. I'm a huge fan of Bones wheels, and I'm glad they are finally making some decent wheels again that are under 103a.

As an overview of the SSF 95a:

+ Feels exactly like a hard 100-101a wheel
+ Rides smooth streets fast like a hard Bones wheel
+ Maintains speed on rough SURFACES slightly better than a hard wheel
+ Grips better than a hard wheel, but can still powerslide
+ Does not slip out or lose traction during powerslides
+ Has a brilliant spin/revert that feels and sounds amazing
- Vibrates your feet on rough surfaces the same as a 100-101a wheel (again, it feels exactly like a hard durometer)
- Handles cracks/objects (rolling over things) the same as a hard wheel
- Takes more effort to initiate powerslides than I would like

I'm starting to learn to powerslide these a bit better. I feel like you can slide F4 99s and STF 103s with whatever form you want... these feel like you actually have to dig your heels in a bit and maybe widen your stance (proper form, I guess).

But yeah... Generally what I am trying to say is don't be scared off by the durometers that they list for the wheels, because they are essentially inaccurate to what they feel like. Its a bit of a mindfuck for finding the right durometer, but if we can figure out the general consensus on each durometer it will make things easier. I think these wheels will have a good following if they can get the right durometers in the right hands.

----------

OH also **major disclaimer**. The wheels I've been skating have been the Bones ATF shape (with the hard black hub core in the center). The actual release will NOT be hubbed, so they might feel pretty different from what I am describing. No idea if they will make them feel softer or what, but honestly feeling softer would probably benefit the 97a and 95a in my eyes.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about the 95a or 97a.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 03:09:32 PM by FuzzGNU »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #4947 on: May 12, 2022, 02:49:12 PM »
How are they for nose/tail/blunt/noseblunt slides on ledges compared to f4 99a?

I found the f4 97as to be great on rough concrete ledges but on metal coping they definitely stuck more

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4948 on: May 12, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »
How are they for nose/tail/blunt/noseblunt slides on ledges compared to f4 99a?

I found the f4 97as to be great on rough concrete ledges but on metal coping they definitely stuck more

Haven't been able to skate anywhere with something to grind yet (and I can't blunt anyways, lol).

I've skated the F4 97a a ton, and those are definitely a bit more "sticky" than these. Its hard to estimate how they will grind based on sliding on road surfaces... if I had to GUESS, I bet the SSF 97a slide better compared to F4 97a (just a hunch). The SSF 95a also slide on the ground better than F4 97a for what its worth. Someone else would have to chime in for blunts.

I could see it being something weird with this formula like they bluntslide well with speed (if you are going fast enough for them to "vibrate") but maybe really stick at lower speeds. But I am talking COMPLETELY out of my ass.

Sorry I couldn't help.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4949 on: May 12, 2022, 03:11:17 PM »
Zach Doelling skating the new 95a bones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28_A_7Zap5I

He confirms it in the comments