Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 787587 times)

FUBAR and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5190 on: July 03, 2022, 08:41:11 AM »
I threw the 93a 52mm wheels on the egg last night, skating a parking garage with fairly rough concrete (like a textured, skin  grater surface, similar to most ditches I skate).  I'm impressed.  They definitely "feel" similar to a 97a but soak up more of the rough surface if that makes sense.  Took a little bit more effort to powerslide, but slappy noseslides felt the same.  Whenever these get a real release I'll grab some in a V1 or V4 shape if they exist.

I’ve read this far to see this.
I skate low trucks, and want a 52 that can handle the wack streets. Will try in a classic shape.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5191 on: July 03, 2022, 09:04:40 AM »
They handle rough streets well. They're like a slightly harder keyframe that can slide a bit. To me the slide feels a bit icy and uncontrolled but that could be getting used to a different feel.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #5192 on: July 03, 2022, 09:32:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Cored wheels (supposedly) provide less flex on landings/rolling over shit; that’s why you see them primarily in softer/cruiser wheels. Less deformation around the bearing (seat).

They also provide (usually) a uniform/flat bearing seat.

Autobahn, at one point, had both hard inner cores (101?) with softer thane outers (97a?) as well as softer inner cores (97a) and 101 duro thane. The former were supposed reduce vibration for an easier ride but still skate like a hard wheel, not so dissimilar to what bones is trying (but with out a special anti-vibe formula).
[close]

Rode a set of the 54mm Dual Duro 101a (think it was the Street Slims) ones recently, lasted 30 min in the session before going back to F4. The park wasn't crusty and the ground was good (by street standards) but I was losing so much speed. Not sure if it was the skinny profile or a mediocre formula, even my worn down 50mm F4 fared much better.

Even those these are listed as Torus (wider) shape, they still look skinny in pictures.

Would like to see which company can come up with a skinny wheel that handles crust and slides fast, sounds like an impossible task for an incredibly niche audience.
I had a set of those slims.
The formula is bad. They sucked and I took them off and went with my old set of wheels.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5193 on: July 03, 2022, 12:33:56 PM »
Does anybody know if the preproduction 93a wheels are USA only? I’d like to give them a whirl on some shit Canadian pavement. Or must I DM them like a man?

I think these things are about to be released and their preproduction stash has been whittled down to just the cored wheels. I would just wait personally. These should be out sometime this year. Sooner than later I hope.

I’m curious to try out the 90a without the core if anyone doesn’t want theirs. Up for trade or to buy

I might be down to part ways with mine in a trade. They are V6 54mm. Only skated them once or twice before putting the 93a back on so they are like new.

I also have some narrower smaller diameter ones WITH cores I haven't opened yet in 90a/93a V2 52mm.

I've got too many wheels at this point so it would have to be a trade for something else. DVD? Some wide 8.5+ trucks? Something else that is rare/an oddity?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 02:48:25 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #5194 on: July 03, 2022, 12:42:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anybody know if the preproduction 93a wheels are USA only? I’d like to give them a whirl on some shit Canadian pavement. Or must I DM them like a man?
[close]

I think these things are about to be released and they're preproduction stash has wittled down to just the cored wheels. I would just wait personally. These should be out sometime this year. Sooner than later I hope.

Expand Quote
I’m curious to try out the 90a without the core if anyone doesn’t want theirs. Up for trade or to buy
[close]

I might be down to part with mine in a trade. They are V6 54mm. Only skated them once or twice before putting the 93a back on so they are like new.

I also have some narrower smaller diameter ones with cores I haven't opened yet in 90a/93a V2 52mm.

I've got too many wheels at this point so it would have to be a trade for something else. DVD? Some wide 8.5+ trucks? Something else that is rare/an oddity?

Are your 52mm v2 93a cored or no cores?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5195 on: July 03, 2022, 12:57:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I think these things are about to be released and they're preproduction stash has wittled down to just the cored wheels. I would just wait personally. These should be out sometime this year. Sooner than later I hope.

Expand Quote
[close]

I might be down to part with mine in a trade. They are V6 54mm. Only skated them once or twice before putting the 93a back on so they are like new.

I also have some narrower smaller diameter ones with cores I haven't opened yet in 90a/93a V2 52mm.

[close]

Cored.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5196 on: July 03, 2022, 01:14:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Cored.

Ah never mind I already have those. You should try them out though to and let us know how you find them since the cores clearly make a significant difference

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5197 on: July 03, 2022, 02:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Cored wheels (supposedly) provide less flex on landings/rolling over shit; that’s why you see them primarily in softer/cruiser wheels. Less deformation around the bearing (seat).

They also provide (usually) a uniform/flat bearing seat.

Autobahn, at one point, had both hard inner cores (101?) with softer thane outers (97a?) as well as softer inner cores (97a) and 101 duro thane. The former were supposed reduce vibration for an easier ride but still skate like a hard wheel, not so dissimilar to what bones is trying (but with out a special anti-vibe formula).
[close]

Rode a set of the 54mm Dual Duro 101a (think it was the Street Slims) ones recently, lasted 30 min in the session before going back to F4. The park wasn't crusty and the ground was good (by street standards) but I was losing so much speed. Not sure if it was the skinny profile or a mediocre formula, even my worn down 50mm F4 fared much better.

Even those these are listed as Torus (wider) shape, they still look skinny in pictures.

Would like to see which company can come up with a skinny wheel that handles crust and slides fast, sounds like an impossible task for an incredibly niche audience.

Yep, those are the jawns., the ABX.  In theory they might have worked with a better thane, they were just generic creative pours with cores; nothing special. Plus, you had F4s out….let’s face it they are the wheel to beat cores or no.

The rictas just cite a better bearing seat and less deformation on landings. Same old ricta thane; for 99a they’re pretty hard.

Agree all bets are off with the Powell thane, they trying something wholly new in that regard so it makes sense to try core and non cores with it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 02:51:39 PM by Xen »

chinotto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
    • Board Madness avatar image
« Reply #5198 on: July 03, 2022, 04:14:46 PM »

Coreless V1 new bones formula 95a is exactly that. If you can deal with how quiet it is.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5199 on: July 03, 2022, 04:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think these things are about to be released and their preproduction stash has been whittled down to just the cored wheels. I would just wait personally. These should be out sometime this year. Sooner than later I hope.

Expand Quote
[close]

I might be down to part ways with mine in a trade. They are V6 54mm. Only skated them once or twice before putting the 93a back on so they are like new.

I also have some narrower smaller diameter ones WITH cores I haven't opened yet in 90a/93a V2 52mm.

Pm’ed!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5200 on: July 03, 2022, 05:02:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Coreless V1 new bones formula 95a is exactly that. If you can deal with how quiet it is.

I'm a chirp/bark fan...gonna be hard to adjust.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5201 on: July 03, 2022, 05:56:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm a chirp/bark fan...gonna be hard to adjust.

Yes. When the sound is off…but, I need to adjust/open up my likes and dislikes. I’ve slowly been getting ok with riding forged baseplates. Sounds dumb, feels a little weird, but I’m so over my particulars. Like I’m annoying myself. Thank the good lord I skate by myself.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5202 on: July 03, 2022, 06:01:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I skated the v1 new bones formula in 95a today. So same exact wheel. Its skinny, can handle crust, and powerslides fast. Unlike the wide cored 95as I got which I gave some initial impressions on a bit earlier in this thread (which absolutely feel like a hard wheel), these are still in that hybrid, semi soft semi hard wheel territory. A bit harder and louder than my cored 93as for sure, but also still much softer than a spitfire f4 97a, and feel like a completely different wheel to the cored 95as I got. If it was a blind test, I'd assume they're a wildly different formula.

They powerslide very well, despite being quiet. But I still have the same gripes about it as I did with with the cored 90 and 93a, just a little less: pitch you harder from wheelbite vs a hard wheel, grips a bit more on certain grinds/slides on certain materials, and just less tactile and audio feedback (even though this you could probably get used to).

Skated rockridge curbs which is a slappy spot with somewhat rough asphalt ground. Rode amazingly, but still gripped noticeably more than f4s on slappys. There was a wooden ledge with some angle iron on the side. I was sticking pretty hard on noseblunt slides on the wooden top even after some wax, but was able to slide and do them pretty much every try on my friends board which had some spitfire 99 f4s on it.

I imagine on a waxed concrete ledge they'd slide a lot better, but besides powersliding on the ground, these (along with the cored 90 and 93as) are definitely less versatile for other types of slide such as nose/tail/bluntslides, pinching, climbing up curbs etc compared to a hard feeling wheel on many surfaces. And as for the cored 95as, they're great but I didn't really see any advantage they had over f4s at all, felt almost the same riding but were a little more difficult to initiate slides on.

I wonder if the coreless 97as will finally be getting to the point where they are a little louder, have some bark and screech, and are as versatile as a f4 whilst being a little more forgiving on soft ground. Couldn't get my hands on any, but at this rate after trying cored 90as, cored 93as, coreless and cored 95as, I'm not too optimistic. I have some cored 97as but those will probably just feel way too hard so I can't really be bothered. Was pretty fun to experiment on, and I definitely see a market for these wheels, but for now I'm going back to f4s. Though I did get some 56mm cored 90as for my cruiser which I'm certain I'll be hyped on after trying the 52s

also all of this was after I wore down the treads on the coreless 95as

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5203 on: July 03, 2022, 06:26:26 PM »
"Arriving next week!!
⚡️⚡️⚡️
Powell Peralta Experimental wheels have officially been named “Dragon’s”
⚡️⚡️⚡️
$41.95 a set!"

https://www.facebook.com/1274791152652294/posts/pfbid0CnC7xwUho1fdF6h3xYuw8ycCqjrx7PZ1FWyu2SVNDUZ5ZgV7uaT4EcPRJpWRWoTAl/?d=n

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5204 on: July 03, 2022, 06:50:12 PM »
man these bones wheels seem exciting. to me bones lacks bigger sizes 56-58mm especially in the v4 shape

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5205 on: July 03, 2022, 07:24:00 PM »

This marketing is terrible. "Dragons" really?

Same thought, kind of makes sense they marketed these under the PP brand so it doesn't dilute the Bones brand. But PP is not known for their wheels.

Does this mean they are sticking to 93a and aren't doing 90 / 95 / 97a?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #5206 on: July 03, 2022, 07:28:18 PM »
Makes sense that they start on this far end as that’s the essence of the formula.  It is a considerably different product I think, different demographic but same level of marketing…..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5207 on: July 03, 2022, 07:29:15 PM »
Ugh, what a terrible name/marketing campaign...

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #5208 on: July 03, 2022, 07:39:23 PM »

This marketing is terrible. "Dragons" really?
I thought the same thing. 3/4s of slap is about to be riding dragons.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5209 on: July 03, 2022, 07:53:01 PM »
95a and up will be Bones branded.

93 and lower are Powell

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #5210 on: July 03, 2022, 07:58:26 PM »
lmao incoming product launch failure.  Good thing they got all these samples out to folks so at least a few skate nerds will buy them.  Everyone is gonna ignore these stupid Powell Peralta Dragons.  I know I would have.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5211 on: July 03, 2022, 08:16:41 PM »
95a and up will be Bones branded.

93 and lower are Powell

That's what I was thinking.

8<
 Perhaps they'll ditch one of the duros(?) or cut one/two from the 'Bones branding' (90a/93a and slap them on the powell side)

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #5212 on: July 03, 2022, 11:00:52 PM »
lmao incoming product launch failure.  Good thing they got all these samples out to folks so at least a few skate nerds will buy them.  Everyone is gonna ignore these stupid Powell Peralta Dragons.  I know I would have.

That marketing campaign has absolutely no effect on me.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5213 on: July 04, 2022, 01:16:30 AM »
I've been laughing this week thinking about how many of us are going to be skating some dorky ass dragon wheels because of how amazing these things are lol. Hopefully they also let Bones make some more tasteful graphics in 93a too.

From my post in this thread on May 29th...

I've said it over and over again... The only thing that will kill these things is bad marketing.

I really hope they start making the V6 93a 56mm with better graphics. Luckily it's smaller and less intrusive on those ones.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #5214 on: July 04, 2022, 03:59:01 AM »
On the other hand, does anybody at all care about wheel graphics? Pretty sure most people buy wheels for the shape and durometer, no matter the graphic. All my bones wheels had ugly graphics and they're gone after a few sessions anyway.

I wonder if the bones will still be called SSF (soft slide formula) or something like that, but I hope they'll be called epic dragon sliderinos

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #5215 on: July 04, 2022, 04:07:31 AM »
On the other hand, does anybody at all care about wheel graphics? Pretty sure most people buy wheels for the shape and durometer, no matter the graphic. All my bones wheels had ugly graphics and they're gone after a few sessions anyway.

I wonder if the bones will still be called SSF (soft slide formula) or something like that, but I hope they'll be called epic dragon sliderinos

graphics are nothing a bit of Acetone (nail varnish remover if your other half lets you borrow.) wont remove.
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5216 on: July 04, 2022, 05:03:57 AM »
I think what will kill them is that they don't live up to the claims of 2 Slap posters who only seem to talk about them rolling on rough ground. It seems for grinding, slides, and smooth surface speed they're not providing an advantage over the current market leaders.

chinotto

• Rep: 12
    • Board Madness avatar image
« Reply #5217 on: July 04, 2022, 09:54:20 AM »
Has anyone tried bones 97a without a hub? I just tried the cored version and they indeed feel kinda uncomfortably hard.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5218 on: July 04, 2022, 12:08:13 PM »
I think what will kill them is that they don't live up to the claims of 2 Slap posters who only seem to talk about them rolling on rough ground. It seems for grinding, slides, and smooth surface speed they're not providing an advantage over the current market leaders.

I've been skating the uncored 93a V6 for 2 weeks now and I have no problem doing slappy's or grinds and slides on ledges. Idk if I got a good set or something but I've had a couple homies try my set up and none of them had problems on grinds or slides either. My local is super smooth and the 93a feel nearly identical to my homies 103 STFs in terms of grip and slide. I think if people give these an honest chance, it'll change a lot of minds. I'll take all dorky dragon graphics and && nonsense if it mean I get my holy grail wheel.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5219 on: July 04, 2022, 12:13:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been skating the uncored 93a V6 for 2 weeks now and I have no problem doing slappy's or grinds and slides on ledges. Idk if I got a good set or something but I've had a couple homies try my set up and none of them had problems on grinds or slides either. My local is super smooth and the 93a feel nearly identical to my homies 103 STFs in terms of grip and slide. I think if people give these an honest chance, it'll change a lot of minds. I'll take all dorky dragon graphics and && nonsense if it mean I get my holy grail wheel.

I really wonder if the uncored 93 is a completely different formula to the uncored 95a. Because it sounds like the uncored 95a should just be a slightly harder variant of the uncored 93a, but my uncored v1 95a definitely don't cut it at all for certain slappies, grinds and slides on certain materials whereas everyone is saying that the uncored 93as work very well (even though the cored 93as I got were definitely too soft, like a cruiser wheel).