Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778281 times)

Jackismydogsname, yourbreakfsat and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6330 on: March 27, 2023, 03:48:16 PM »
Next set of wheels I get are going to be Conicals. Seems to be the best I can get in F4’s for now.

Sometimes settling on the "next best thing" is all you can do.

I get what you are saying about the shapes though, as I use a grinder to reshape wider / older wheels to my liking, more rounded edges on wide profile wheels, but that is just me.

What size do you usually ride, or what size are you looking at in the Conicals?
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6331 on: March 29, 2023, 06:06:27 PM »
I recently moved from a city to a smaller town about 30 min out side of the city. There’s a metal prefab park here. I hate metal parks it’s like ice. But I live close to a few stores so I was gonna set up an old 9” slave deck some of my poor QC aces with the ovaled pivot cup or maybe some Indy’s for a gas station beer run board.

My question is what wheels will go relatively decent on normal to rough side walks and maybe as a bonus be decent on a metal mini ramp. I don really wanna spend a lot for dragons or bones x cause I don’t plan on this being my main set up just something to cruise to grab a beer or something. Or to tool around on with my son. I have some 99a conical regs. My old  local has:
Orbs 85a pugs.
Acid 86a skaterade funner formula filmer wheels
Oj 87a key frames.
Triclops 95a
Triclops 92a
Bones x v5

The Triclops and orbs are the cheapest bones x most expensive.

I was looking for some cheap oj nomads but no luck

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6332 on: March 29, 2023, 08:04:58 PM »
I recently moved from a city to a smaller town about 30 min out side of the city. There’s a metal prefab park here. I hate metal parks it’s like ice. But I live close to a few stores so I was gonna set up an old 9” slave deck some of my poor QC aces with the ovaled pivot cup or maybe some Indy’s for a gas station beer run board.

My question is what wheels will go relatively decent on normal to rough side walks and maybe as a bonus be decent on a metal mini ramp. I don really wanna spend a lot for dragons or bones x cause I don’t plan on this being my main set up just something to cruise to grab a beer or something. Or to tool around on with my son. I have some 99a conical regs. My old  local has:
Orbs 85a pugs.
Oj 87a key frames.
Triclops 95a
Triclops 92a
Bones x v5

The Nomads seemed quite slick and slippery on skatelite and metal, so probably best not to go with those anyway.

If it comes down to size, I would take a bigger wheel in any softer option, but any of the high 80 to low 90 duro wheels would work for metal ramp as well as getting from A to B as a cruiser.

I haven't tried most of those, Triclops or Orbs in particular, so don't know what the formula is like, but those 92 duro Triclops might work well for that if you did want cheaper wheels to see what they were like.

From that selection alone, if there were Bones in 90 duro, they definitely work well, as do the OJ keyframes, but that is just me from what I know and trust to work for those conditions.

Mini logo 90 duro wheels are half the price of Bones and a really good formula for softer wheels that ride well over everything, but as they are not on the list, they don't count.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6333 on: March 29, 2023, 09:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote

Orbs 85a pugs.
Oj 87a key frames.
Triclops 95a
Triclops 92a
Bones x v5

[close]

The Nomads seemed quite slick and slippery on skatelite and metal, so probably best not to go with those anyway.

If it comes down to size, I would take a bigger wheel in any softer option, but any of the high 80 to low 90 duro wheels would work for metal ramp as well as getting from A to B as a cruiser.

I haven't tried most of those, Triclops or Orbs in particular, so don't know what the formula is like, but those 92 duro Triclops might work well for that if you did want cheaper wheels to see what they were like.

From that selection alone, if there were Bones in 90 duro, they definitely work well, as do the OJ keyframes, but that is just me from what I know and trust to work for those conditions.

Mini logo 90 duro wheels are half the price of Bones and a really good formula for softer wheels that ride well over everything, but as they are not on the list, they don't count.

I just looked on their online shop and they usually have more in stock than the online shop shows.but they have mini logo 95a hybrid wheels. Idk what that is or how they are.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6334 on: March 29, 2023, 09:37:33 PM »

I just looked on their online shop and they usually have more in stock than the online shop shows.but they have mini logo 95a hybrid wheels. Idk what that is or how they are.

The 95 duro wheels still skate well over everything, just a little more like the usual 99 duro wheels only a bit softer, compared to the cruiser wheels which are very soft and grippy at 80 to 90 duro.

After trying both 90 and 95 duro Mini Logo wheels a while back and keeping them on boards for others to use at the indoor park, they both held up well on slippery stuff and the 95 duro wheels were good as all rounders too.

I have 52, 54 and 56 mm in the 95s and 58 in the 90s, with the bigger ones being a lot more popular, but the smaller ones still work just as well.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #6335 on: March 30, 2023, 12:17:36 AM »
Recommendations for wheels for indoor wood parks?
I run 99d spit f4 classics atm, and seriously cant even push without risking to slide... Yeah, the park should be cleaned, but they dont

rikki

• Rep: 238
« Reply #6336 on: March 30, 2023, 12:57:10 AM »
I run 99d spit f4 classics atm, and seriously cant even push without risking to slide... Yeah, the park should be cleaned, but they dont

Friend of mine swears by OJ Keyframe 87s, but I tried them and they felt like flat tires on a car. Grippy yeah, but hella slow.

Spitfire 99s can be a bit slippery on wood, but I personally enjoy the slideability.

However, in my experience, OJ Elite Hardline 99s are great for indoor parks. They are not as slippery on wood as Spitfire 99s, and are still fast. The wide riding surface provides control in my experience.

I also tried the 93(?) Dragons but found them too sticky for me as well. It's a matter of preference I guess. I need to have that ability to do micro slides on transitions etc. and have the board react on instant, instead of just feeling like it's on a train track.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6337 on: March 30, 2023, 02:49:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Friend of mine swears by OJ Keyframe 87s, but I tried them and they felt like flat tires on a car. Grippy yeah, but hella slow.

Spitfire 99s can be a bit slippery on wood, but I personally enjoy the slideability.

However, in my experience, OJ Elite Hardline 99s are great for indoor parks. They are not as slippery on wood as Spitfire 99s, and are still fast. The wide riding surface provides control in my experience.

I also tried the 93(?) Dragons but found them too sticky for me as well. It's a matter of preference I guess. I need to have that ability to do micro slides on transitions etc. and have the board react on instant, instead of just feeling like it's on a train track.

People often have different experiences, but in general I think I had posted before that if you want more stability and don't want to slide out on any slick surface, be it a metal ramp, wood or other surface, indoor park, etc, something closer to 90 duro works better than something closer to 99 duro of any / every brand.

There are people who will ride the hardest wheels on the slickest surfaces and take it all in their stride, but then others who even just look a little one way or other, let alone lean one way or other will slip out and benefit from softer / more grippy wheels.

The 97 and even 95 duro options are ok too, but those formulas are still often going to slide maybe a bit too much, or still slide nicely for those who want more slide and less stick.

For more stick and less slip out, 90 to 93 duro wheels will often work well, as per the indoor park I help out with things, having quite a range of softer wheels in various brands and sizes.

Dragons have worked well - I don't own any but I have tried people's boards who skate them without issue and can still slide a bit on them without slipping out like they would on harder wheels.

Mini Logo come in 90, 95 and a good range of sizes too, without feeling like they were slowing things down compared to some other formula wheels.

Others I have around 90, 92, 93, 94 duro all work well, some skate faster than others, slightly bigger work better too, different shapes in some brands.

Lastly if you are more keen on grinds and slides (nose or tail slides) going for a higher duro will work better than a softer duro, but if all you want is not to slip out when skating around, then softer duro will probably work better overall.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #6338 on: March 30, 2023, 07:31:12 AM »
Incoming shameless self promotion ( sorry in advance):
I just got my new wheels in and they turned out better than I pictured. I have a discount code for any fellow Slappers that want to try them out. Code: SLAPPALS will get you guys 15% off. I also have free shipping enabled.

https://www.coneswheels.com/

Also I’m open to any critiques you may have on the website.
Thanks in advance for checking it out and I may throw in a random freebie for you guys.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6339 on: March 30, 2023, 08:33:26 AM »
I just got my new wheels in and they turned out better than I pictured. I have a discount code for any fellow Slappers that want to try them out. Code: SLAPPALS will get you guys 15% off. I also have free shipping enabled.

Thanks in advance for checking it out and I may throw in a random freebie for you guys.
The 54mm Classics look interested listed as 98a, how'd you rate the performance vs F4 99a, Bones 99a and X-Formula 97a?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Richard Skidder

« Reply #6340 on: March 30, 2023, 08:38:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The 54mm Classics look interested listed as 98a, how'd you rate the performance vs F4 99a, Bones 99a and X-Formula 97a?

If you remember the Black Label Econoline wheels from the early 2000’s that would be my best comparison. I rode those on regular basis back then and these feel just a touch firmer than those which work great for me on the mostly brick surfaces I end up riding.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #6341 on: March 30, 2023, 09:26:49 AM »

Any plans on making something smaller? And who’s pouring them?
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #6342 on: March 30, 2023, 10:25:05 AM »
the oranges ones do look sick.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #6343 on: March 30, 2023, 10:26:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Any plans on making something smaller? And who’s pouring them?

Plans for 52mm in the summer. My top sellers have been the larger sizes so they’ve been priority. Next drop will be a 54mm Conical in the Demolition Formula.
Demolition Formula is coming out of Generator.
KOTR series from Point.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #6344 on: March 30, 2023, 10:28:04 AM »
the oranges ones do look sick.

Thanks so much @TwisT
MSX Graphics volunteered that for us.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6345 on: March 30, 2023, 04:57:02 PM »

Suggest listing all the goodies:

Wheel width
Contact patch width
Include additional images to show the above

Richard Skidder

« Reply #6346 on: March 30, 2023, 06:17:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wheel width
Contact patch width

I thought about this as well but opted to keep it simple as I’m still in the early stages and to not overwhelm any beginner skaters that might be considering. Might find a way to get the profile of the wheels into the product shot to show the difference.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6347 on: March 30, 2023, 06:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Wheel width
Contact patch width
[close]

I thought about this as well but opted to keep it simple as I’m still in the early stages and to not overwhelm any beginner skaters that might be considering. Might find a way to get the profile of the wheels into the product shot to show the difference.

Profile at minimum so people at least can see what they're getting (I know you call out the shape) but we're all kooks and need to see the wheel shape =D

Richard Skidder

« Reply #6348 on: March 30, 2023, 06:55:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Wheel width
Contact patch width
[close]

[close]

Profile at minimum so people at least can see what they're getting (I know you call out the shape) but we're all kooks and need to see the wheel shape =D

You’re right about that. I’ll have to get those profile shots and get them up soon. If I add contact patch widths should I add weight too? No one else is doing that yet.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6349 on: March 30, 2023, 07:00:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Wheel width
Contact patch width
[close]

[close]

[close]

You’re right about that. I’ll have to get those profile shots and get them up soon. If I add contact patch widths should I add weight too? No one else is doing that yet.

Honestly I feel you'd be fine with just the profile pic and some text...the other stuff can come later if you get lots of inquiries? Less is more as they say.

Then you look at say, Street Plant: https://www.streetplant.com/products/52mm-street-scoundrels

All the deets no profile pic :P

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6350 on: March 30, 2023, 08:40:40 PM »
Anybody have opinions on the spitfire og classics?

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #6351 on: March 30, 2023, 08:57:37 PM »
ever look at a conical full and think "i wish this was more like a tablet."?

me neither

in all seriousness i think the shape looks really good on a board, but unless u skate a lot of transition i cant see why u would want them over the conical full

rikki

« Reply #6352 on: March 31, 2023, 12:15:57 AM »

Love them. Probably my favorite shape among the F4 shapes. Skated a set of 55mm down to 52-53 last summer. I skate a lot of transitions, but haven't had a problem with them elsewhere. Currently rocking the thinner Classics for a change, but once I go back to more conical shapes again, will probably go with the OG Classics. 55mm is the magic size.

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #6353 on: April 01, 2023, 10:06:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Next set of wheels I get are going to be Conicals. Seems to be the best I can get in F4’s for now.
[close]

I get what you are saying about the shapes though, as I use a grinder to reshape wider / older wheels to my liking, more rounded edges on wide profile wheels, but that is just me.

I’m having gear madness about my wheels. I like 54mm, but the last set I got were 53mm, and I’m having no problems. I’m almost thinking of getting 52mm next time I get wheels.

Last couple sets of wheels I’ve gotten have been Conical Full.

Thinking maybe 54mm Conicals for my next set? I’m honestly thinking of looking at Tablets now. The madness has got me…

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #6354 on: April 02, 2023, 12:18:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m having gear madness about my wheels. I like 54mm, but the last set I got were 53mm, and I’m having no problems. I’m almost thinking of getting 52mm next time I get wheels.

Last couple sets of wheels I’ve gotten have been Conical Full.

Thinking maybe 54mm Conicals for my next set? I’m honestly thinking of looking at Tablets now. The madness has got me…

buy two sets of tablets and call me in the in the morning. i'm a Dr. from the Internets.

rikki

« Reply #6355 on: April 05, 2023, 08:42:26 AM »
Speaking of Radials, pretty stoked on these babies that just arrived today. The Oski 55mm 99s.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #6356 on: April 11, 2023, 11:32:45 AM »
Loophole posted an Instagram story of wheels being printed. It's definitely the same printing machine as Acid Chemical Co.

Seems like that answers the who is pouring question.

Edit* Screenshots for permanence

https://instagram.com/stories/loopholewheels/3078744877671330472?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 03:28:50 PM by Musicaldeath107 »

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6357 on: April 13, 2023, 06:15:54 AM »
Finally got a response from Loophole as well, they said they are being made by some guy John that’s friends with Tony Alva lol, made and printed in Southern Cali. So the acid chemical wheel co assumption is prolly correct
You want some queso?”

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #6358 on: April 13, 2023, 07:08:27 AM »
Finally got a response from Loophole as well, they said they are being made by some guy John that’s friends with Tony Alva lol, made and printed in Southern Cali. So the acid chemical wheel co assumption is prolly correct

Acid does pour a good wheel too but its a very different feeling wheel than NFG

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6359 on: April 13, 2023, 07:24:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Acid does pour a good wheel too but its a very different feeling wheel than NFG

Never skated them, prolly not gonna like them but I’m gonna get a set to check out
You want some queso?”