Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 233591 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #1950 on: May 05, 2023, 02:20:44 PM »
I've got one here from when they made the Sketchy Skateshop Appreciation decks in 2022. It's about 8.375" above both trucks and a little bit under 8.5" in the middle. So it tapers to both front and back. Nose and tail seem a bit pointy by today's standards.

Thanks. So, it basically sounds/looks like it's the 8.38 shape, but with a 14.38wb. Duly noted.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #1951 on: May 05, 2023, 03:04:36 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm currently skating this 8.5 Marbie There from their drop last summer and it might be my favorite popsicle shape ever. It feels shorter than a lot of 8.5s I've skated before and has mellow concave and both the nose and the tail aren't steep. Everything, especially flip tricks, feel better on it. Anyone know anything about it? Is it a easily available DLX shape? I don't typically pay attention to these kinds of things so I'm pretty out of the loop lol

https://www.tactics.com/there/marbie-growing-pains-85-skateboard-deck
[close]

Seems like the standard DLX 8.5" with the 14.375" wheelbase. Maybe a bit less common than the one with the 14.25" wheelbase right now but still fairly common. Here's a selection from Skatedeluxe just because it's easy to filter from there:

links

Some of them list different nose and tail lengths but Skatedeluxe isn't exactly 100% accurate so it might be that these are all the same or it might be that they're not.
Sick, thank you dude! I'm glad this is a common shape and not a one off they did. Hopefully they make more Theres in this shape too, since that's the DLX company I'm most stoked on right now.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1952 on: May 05, 2023, 04:48:17 PM »
Expand Quote
I've got one here from when they made the Sketchy Skateshop Appreciation decks in 2022. It's about 8.375" above both trucks and a little bit under 8.5" in the middle. So it tapers to both front and back. Nose and tail seem a bit pointy by today's standards.
[close]

Thanks. So, it basically sounds/looks like it's the 8.38 shape, but with a 14.38wb. Duly noted.

That used to be the most common 8.5 shape, funnily enough, so yeah I had a lot of them come through my hands and skated a few as well.

The tail is a bit longer than the 8.38 that I usually ride now, which was a plus for me, as well as the shape being a bit - ever so slightly - egg shaped, but nothing you would look at and call an egg, as per @Roisto description / info.

It is definitely different to the other / regular / common BBS 8.5 shapes, which stay true right from end to end, so some people love it and others don't like it at all, saying the kicks are too long, or that it does taper a bit too much for them at both ends.

When I get back on one of a few boards in that shape that are set up, it feels like home for a normal 8.5 board, without the nimble feeling of the 8.38, if that makes any sense.  Definitely not clunky, but just a little bigger and slightly more pointed than the usual 8.25 shape you usually ride.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1953 on: May 05, 2023, 05:51:40 PM »
Anyone know the full dimensions for the grimple 8.38 egg? I can't find anywhere that lists wheelbase or nose/tail length

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1954 on: May 05, 2023, 06:08:52 PM »
Anyone know the full dimensions for the grimple 8.38 egg? I can't find anywhere that lists wheelbase or nose/tail length

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/anti-hero-gerwer-grimple-stix-backpage-8-38-skateboard-deck-multi_p152841

width: 8.375"
length: 31.375"
wheelbase: 14.2"
nose: 6.75"
tail: 6.2"

I recall someone who had it saying it was so small all round, which is fun if you want that sort of thing, but a little bit too short, both length and tail for most people.

Given the right situation, I am sure it could be fun though!

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1955 on: May 05, 2023, 07:50:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/anti-hero-gerwer-grimple-stix-backpage-8-38-skateboard-deck-multi_p152841

I recall someone who had it saying it was so small all round, which is fun if you want that sort of thing, but a little bit too short, both length and tail for most people.

Aw man that is indeed small all around. I was hoping to get something fun to supplement the standard DLX 8.38 but that looks way too different

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1956 on: May 06, 2023, 12:17:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve got both here unskated so fairly easy to compare. The 8.5 is a bit longer with a bit shorter wheelbase and a bit wider overall & more tapered (very slightly eggy as @Mbrimson88 noted). Putting them on top of each other I’m fairly sure they use the same mold for pressing them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1957 on: May 06, 2023, 02:03:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Aw man that is indeed small all around. I was hoping to get something fun to supplement the standard DLX 8.38 but that looks way too different

The funny thing is the 8.75 Grimple egg would fit the same trucks as a normal 8.38 more so than the smaller egg, if there are any still around, same shape as the Real Flyer board.

8.75 x 31.5 with a 14.25 wheelbase, the Gerwer Grimplestix board

It is still short with small kicks, but not as small as the other one.  I had the full dimensions up somewhere, maybe the egg thread from a while back.

Just a thought anyway.

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #1958 on: May 16, 2023, 09:38:24 AM »
I've been skating a There deck, the new Chandler Burton 9.0 shape, and I'm really enjoying the longer length and wheelbase. The upcoming graphic is not up my alley, so I'm wondering which other companies use the same shape with BBS wood, DLX or not.

Specs I'm looking for are:

Width: 9.0
Length: 32.9
Wheelbase: 14.75

I think some BA decks might come close, any other suggestions?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1959 on: May 16, 2023, 10:43:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's not. I actually kinda hate it. It feels like the 8.25 with a massive nose and longer tail. 8.38 feels way better to me and more nimble actually.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1960 on: May 16, 2023, 10:48:05 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm currently skating this 8.5 Marbie There from their drop last summer and it might be my favorite popsicle shape ever. It feels shorter than a lot of 8.5s I've skated before and has mellow concave and both the nose and the tail aren't steep. Everything, especially flip tricks, feel better on it. Anyone know anything about it? Is it a easily available DLX shape? I don't typically pay attention to these kinds of things so I'm pretty out of the loop lol

https://www.tactics.com/there/marbie-growing-pains-85-skateboard-deck
[close]

I've actually been meaning to post/ask about the DLX 8.5/14.38 deck. I've not seen one in real time (yet). The current Anti-Hero BA/Pigeon Religion deck is listed as one of those. How true is the width (most DLX "8.5" decks seem to be closer to 8.38). How are shapes of kicks, etc?

Most of the recent Sci-Fi Fantasy decks use this shape and it's not toooo far off from a Polar 8.38 or 8.5 both of which are more tapered. I wouldn't be shocked if they were all the same base mold and just cut slightly different.

I had it once on Thunders and was coming from the normal 8.38. I thought it felt much clunkier. I never got my nollie tricks on it very well as the nose is 7.125 vs. 6.875 and it's more full. The tail is not as full, a tad pointy, but was nearly 7" vs the 6.6875 of the 8.38 and 6.6 of the 8.25. To me the long kicks really made the pop feel anemic. Also, for whatever reason 8.25 trucks felt super magic carpet on it. Just did not vibe with it one bit. I like the normal BBS 8.38 better, which has same WB but shorter kicks.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1961 on: May 16, 2023, 12:39:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's not. I actually kinda hate it. It feels like the 8.25 with a massive nose and longer tail. 8.38 feels way better to me and more nimble actually.

Duly noted, again. :)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1962 on: May 16, 2023, 12:42:19 PM »
...the nose is 7.125 vs. 6.875 and it's more full. The tail is not as full, a tad pointy, but was nearly 7" vs the 6.6875 of the 8.38 and 6.6 of the 8.25...

That sounds...bad.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1963 on: May 16, 2023, 12:56:25 PM »
Sorry for the double posts I thought I was replying to 2 different people but I'm an idiot.

Honestly it felt kinda like the 8.38 Full SE but less squared off. I think that I am personally not a fan of very long kicks like a Baker has a longer nose and tail than equivalent BBS decks of the same size and I find my pop blows on it.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #1964 on: May 17, 2023, 03:34:55 PM »
finally decided to set up the 8.5 true fit ive been sitting on and scared to ride….kinda fuckin love it! i dont know whats up but my pop was fucking insane and it was so snappy feeling for being on Ace Classics, 56mm wheels and rails.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1965 on: May 17, 2023, 03:37:33 PM »
finally decided to set up the 8.5 true fit ive been sitting on and scared to ride….kinda fuckin love it! i dont know whats up but my pop was fucking insane and it was so snappy feeling for being on Ace Classics, 56mm wheels and rails.

I was driving somewhere yesterday and I saw this pimped out Jeep with tires that were sticking out. I thought to myself, "Man, that thing is such a 8.25" True Fit with Indy 159s and Full Connies." :)

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #1966 on: May 17, 2023, 05:54:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was driving somewhere yesterday and I saw this pimped out Jeep with tires that were sticking out. I thought to myself, "Man, that thing is such a 8.25" True Fit with Indy 159s and Full Connies." :)

we exist. the few, the proud

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1967 on: May 17, 2023, 11:34:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

we exist. the few, the proud

Rock on with your bad self!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #1968 on: May 18, 2023, 05:26:50 AM »

Mine arrived last week, but during the time I ordered it I broke the board I was riding and got a free Real board that I'm enjoying. So it'll probably be a minute before I actually try the TrueFit but I'm excited/nervous.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1969 on: May 18, 2023, 10:07:55 AM »
Just curious- how tall are you True Fit riders?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #1970 on: May 18, 2023, 10:14:45 AM »
Looks like DLX is starting to label front and back truck measurements of shaped decks now. Nice for online ordering.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/cardiel-meridian-918-huffer-shape-skateboard-deck

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1971 on: May 18, 2023, 10:46:30 AM »
Looks like DLX is starting to label front and back truck measurements of shaped decks now. Nice for online ordering.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/cardiel-meridian-918-huffer-shape-skateboard-deck

I wouldn't rely on any tech specs Tactics posts. The idea is great, and hopefully DLX is doing that, but could also be just a Tactics thing. Hopefully that info would be posted on assorted DLX sites with their next drops.

Actually, it would be great if DLX posted something like the Crailtap "shape guide" which specifically names each shape, and lists all the associated tech specs.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1972 on: May 18, 2023, 10:48:35 AM »
It looks like its only on DLX shapes so far which is why I assumed it was a DLX thing. I only need an approximate anyway. Its not quite accurate for the Huffer.

postmodernpain

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1973 on: May 18, 2023, 11:00:29 AM »
Is the Genius shape a new one?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1974 on: May 18, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »
Yeah Genius is brand new. Looks like fun shape for people who want a wider cruiser (short nose also)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1975 on: May 19, 2023, 08:05:48 AM »
Is it similar to a Surf Jr?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1976 on: May 19, 2023, 08:57:36 AM »
Short nose, long tail, 14.25" WB. Similar to Surf jr in those regards but sthe hape looks way better with eggy rails, to me and it is wider in the middle.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1977 on: May 19, 2023, 08:05:52 PM »
Yeah, I’ve been waiting on this. Tactics got them a few days ago. Shape and dims feel like a narrower, longer Beach Bum, and I love that one, so I’m pumped for the Genius.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #1978 on: May 19, 2023, 08:38:20 PM »
Latest Anti hero graphics are tight

You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1979 on: May 19, 2023, 08:56:06 PM »
Yeah the Meridian series is amazing. Serious Cormac McCarthy vibes from the Cardiel one and in my fav shape of all time. Just in time for my birthday.