Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221280 times)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10560 on: October 19, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »
I jammed some pliers in there to do the janky way to tighten kreper kingpins. I should have gone the brass nipple route @PuffinMuffin

Sorry friend, but a brass nipple won't jam up the rotation of the nut in a circular recessed baseplate. The nut will just spin, it needs a corner to grab on to. :( I think you can only use epoxy on them.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #10561 on: October 19, 2021, 10:00:14 AM »
Expand Quote
I jammed some pliers in there to do the janky way to tighten kreper kingpins. I should have gone the brass nipple route @PuffinMuffin
[close]

Sorry friend, but a brass nipple won't jam up the rotation of the nut in a circular recessed baseplate. The nut will just spin, it needs a corner to grab on to. :( I think you can only use epoxy on them.

Gotcha, well my pliers method sort of got the job done

Landmine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #10562 on: October 19, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »
I've been skating a lot recently (nothing heavy, but lots of dicking around in parking lots and garages) on loose trucks and I gotta say loose trucks feel great.  I've ditched the Bones bushings and I'm back on the stock Indy bushings on both set ups and I'm really liking it.  Fakie down transition feels slightly sketchy again, but I'll get over that.

Plus no more bushing squeak.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10563 on: October 20, 2021, 06:57:34 PM »
https://www.qwiktruks.com/

In case you need big ass risers and swap trucks a lot..

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10564 on: October 20, 2021, 07:28:06 PM »

Wow!

Just when I thought I had seen it all and would never see anything else, something like this comes along.

That's a NO from me, but don't let me stop you...

(Thanks for the laugh too)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #10565 on: October 20, 2021, 07:40:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow!

Just when I thought I had seen it all and would never see anything else, something like this comes along.

That team page is great

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10566 on: October 21, 2021, 10:02:32 AM »
Pondering an 8.38 board. Are you Indy rydaz using 144s or 149's on this kinda setup?
P.S. I don't like wheels showing

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #10567 on: October 21, 2021, 10:06:44 AM »
Pondering an 8.38 board. Are you Indy rydaz using 144s or 149's on this kinda setup?

Definitely 149

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #10568 on: October 21, 2021, 10:18:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely 149
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

user18081971

« Reply #10569 on: October 21, 2021, 02:34:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow!

[close]

That team page is great
Hey, if it works for Andrew Allen it can work for you.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #10570 on: October 21, 2021, 03:50:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Had the weirdest thing happen to me while skating the other day. Riding an oldish pair of Indy 149s with older bushings. While I was pushing it felt like my front truck was turning to the toe side. Pushing regular turning right. I never had to position my front foot straight to avoid turning and all of a sudden I felt I had to do this to keep from loosing speed and veering sideways.

I keep my trucks stock tight and change out the bushings and pivot cups as needed. I don’t see any major wear on either but should I just change out pivot cup and bushings to see what happens? Also, bolts are tight. Is it worth moving to bones medium or something else? I’m currently using 90a barrel Indys. I’m concerned since Bones are conical that they will be even less stable.

I’m riding 60 mm wheels on 1/4” risers but I can’t imagine that being higher off the ground is an issue. Maybe I’m beginning to loose my balance but I’m not willing to admit that yet.

Thoughts?
[close]

Has this setup been ok for however long and only now having this or is this a newly setup board?

Push the board out in front and see if it turns on its own.

Turn the board around and push the same way but with the tail at the front, seeing if something is different then too.

Pivot cups splitting can cause weird turns to one side, as can trucks that are mounted crooked or even boards that are not drilled straight, or even bushings that have split or similar things, to which I have often checked or rotated bushings, eg draw a dot or line on them where they are in place, then loosen off the truck and turn the bushing round so the line is now facing the other way and see if that changes anything.

Follow up:

Took same setup out today with same problems. I inspected during the session and determined the following:

-screws had slight amount of play. Because I’m running risers it was not apparent the last time I skated it.
-pivot cup stretched more in the front truck than back.

I think both factors together caused the issue. Gonna obviously tightened the trucks but also replace pivot cups. Thanks for the thoughts…

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10571 on: October 21, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »

My DLX / BBS 8.38 with Indy 149s (three washers on the inside) and fairly wide wheels just sit flush with the board, which is very stable and solid feeling when I ride it on everything, so for normal people with not so wide wheels and only one washer on the inside, the wheels will still sit under the board.

I have skated the same 8.38 deck with 144s on it too just to see - friends who are more into street / rails prefer that setup - which felt a bit more tippy but that is what they like about it, as it is easier to throw around for them than my board, when we skate each others' setups.

All up it is a touch of weight difference and 5mm truck width, so people go both ways on it easily enough, depending on your preference of how you like the board to feel under your feet.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10572 on: October 21, 2021, 07:27:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow!

[close]

That team page is great
[close]
Hey, if it works for Andrew Allen it can work for you.

I had to do a double take, but it is most definitely NOT the Andrew Allen I was thinking, the one on their team page being a bearded older guy and not the Hockey, Vans, Indy, Spitfire, switch street, rad dude that I associate with that name.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10573 on: October 21, 2021, 10:07:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely 149

Most people I know use 144 if there is a chance they would ride an 8.25. Lots ride 144 with 8.5. I’ve ridden 144 and 149 with all sizes and prefer 144 overall and am currently on 8.38x14.38x32 BBS.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10574 on: October 22, 2021, 11:48:52 PM »
Any word on reverting hangars? I have a deep groove closing in on the axle on two sets of 169s and figured I could give them some more life. Never done it before and assume there is not much to it, though I am wondering if slipping into the groove toe side on coping is a concern?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10575 on: October 23, 2021, 03:07:39 AM »
Any word on reverting hangars? I have a deep groove closing in on the axle on two sets of 169s and figured I could give them some more life. Never done it before and assume there is not much to it, though I am wondering if slipping into the groove toe side on coping is a concern?

Are you meaning swapping hangers around, front to back, back to front?

I am not a fan of it, but I have too many anyway, so usually if I or someone has run a hanger to axle, using them on a cruiser is my preferred option.

As for two sets, you could always use the two least worn hangers (often the two fronts) as a set for general use and the others that are worn out as backups or on a cruiser.

At the end of the day, as long as they are not cracked and still skate fine, you can skate them backwards easily enough and not have issues.  Even try it by skating the board backwards or put them on an old setup first and see if it makes a difference.

The only other thing to note here, with a used set that had different grooves from really wide wheels is I grinded out the groove to make it much flatter across the truck so I never got caught in the weird groove, which worked well enough and still gave the trucks a lot more life.  I did that by taking the wheels off and scraping the complete (trucks down) on some really rough concrete, but I probably wouldn't recommend that for everyone.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10576 on: October 23, 2021, 04:15:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you meaning swapping hangers around, front to back, back to front?

I am not a fan of it, but I have too many anyway, so usually if I or someone has run a hanger to axle, using them on a cruiser is my preferred option.

As for two sets, you could always use the two least worn hangers (often the two fronts) as a set for general use and the others that are worn out as backups or on a cruiser.

At the end of the day, as long as they are not cracked and still skate fine, you can skate them backwards easily enough and not have issues.  Even try it by skating the board backwards or put them on an old setup first and see if it makes a difference.

The only other thing to note here, with a used set that had different grooves from really wide wheels is I grinded out the groove to make it much flatter across the truck so I never got caught in the weird groove, which worked well enough and still gave the trucks a lot more life.  I did that by taking the wheels off and scraping the complete (trucks down) on some really rough concrete, but I probably wouldn't recommend that for everyone.

Thanks for the elaborate response, good points to consider. And yes, I mean swapping front and back so the heel grooves move to the toe side.

I have 159s on my cruiser (which I barely use). One of the two sets of 169s is on my bowl setup that gets some serious use, the other is on my egg that I only skate occasionally when I feel like switching things up, sort of a lazy day setup.

Maybe it’s a good idea to use the two front truck hangers on my bowl setup, the groove is not too bad on those. Then use the back truck hangers on the egg. Definitely worth trying out, I can still buy a new set for my bowl setup if it doesn’t feel right.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #10577 on: October 23, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »

I’m trying to find out -did it with some 169’s a couple weeks ago. My front truck was worn straight across at kingpin height while my back was worn to the axle in the heelside groove. I swapped just the hangers. I went for a curb session, and proceeded to catch the kingpin on the now rear truck constantly. I put them aside after that, so I can’t really say if the groove concern holds. Last night, I decided to put some inverted kingpins in and give thoroughly destroying these trucks one more shot.
Honestly, I don’t know how folks do it. It didn’t take that long to hit the axle, but the bushings and pivot cups have both been replaced and the axles are bent (I did straighten them a little). Once I started hitting the kingpins, they were 32% less fun to skate, and they are but a nip slip compared to the hardcore ground-to-the-axle pics floating around.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10578 on: October 23, 2021, 05:30:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m trying to find out -did it with some 169’s a couple weeks ago. My front truck was worn straight across at kingpin height while my back was worn to the axle in the heelside groove. I swapped just the hangers. I went for a curb session, and proceeded to catch the kingpin on the now rear truck constantly. I put them aside after that, so I can’t really say if the groove concern holds. Last night, I decided to put some inverted kingpins in and give thoroughly destroying these trucks one more shot.
Honestly, I don’t know how folks do it. It didn’t take that long to hit the axle, but the bushings and pivot cups have both been replaced and the axles are bent (I did straighten them a little). Once I started hitting the kingpins, they were 32% less fun to skate, and they are but a nip slip compared to the hardcore ground-to-the-axle pics floating around.

This is why we used to have to cut down our bushings back in the day when we couldn't afford new trucks and had to skate those things til near on the end of time (or at least until a birthday or Christmas event) but between cutting down the top bushing and angle grinding down the tip of the kingpin in question, even modern trucks still get a lot more life.

Just the tip though...

* I like your percentage of fun and comparisons to other things too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMGt_osFWe0/

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10579 on: October 24, 2021, 12:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Since most of the wear on my trucks comes from Bs grinds on coping, I doubt I’ll have this sort of problem. I just feel the groove is starting to actually slow me down on grinds. I have a new set of Titaniums on my street setup and even though the lock in is a bit sketchy, grinds on coping feel much smoother.

I guess I am not as big of a fan of a deep groove as I thought I was. Grinding it down more evenly might do the trick but then I am worried I’ll mess with kingpin clearance too much. I try to minimize hang-ups in any context since they usually fuck me up badly. This is where shortening the kingpin comes into play I guess as @Mbrimson88 points out.

I’ll try the two least worn of the regular 169s on my bowl setup and put the others on my egg. I mostly use it to skate flat and do slides on rails or curbs when I am having a lazy session so the grooves shouldn’t be too much of an issue. If it’s weird I can still throw money at the problem and get another set of Titaniums.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:41:20 AM by listentoaheartbeat »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10580 on: October 24, 2021, 08:25:49 AM »
When I skated thunders I did this because they grind down fast and the clearance sucked.  It's a bit weird but didn't want to buy new trucks every 6 mo....a downlo kingpin might help with the clearance too.

beandemon

« Reply #10581 on: October 24, 2021, 09:12:00 AM »
So as mentioned in a couple earlier posts, I have a set of fairly well used Indy 169's I decided to do the krux downlow inverted kingpin swap on. Why? I resolved to skate these trucks to death. Last set of USA made, nostalgia, a brief respite from consumerism, a diversion from my slow decent into nihilism - why not?.  And sticking on the kingpin sucks. Went into the basement after my GF went to bed Friday night, put Apocalypse Now on netflix and did the deed. Here's my 2 cents on the process and first impressions:

First, ban all cats from the premisseses.  Little shit was literally climbing the walls and would not leave me alone.  Meow, meow, meow, I'm nocturnal, meow, meow.

Swapping out the kingpins and epoxying in the nut has been covered elsewhere, but did make sure to sand and clean (denatured alcohol - couldn't find the acetone) the nut and recess and used a prick punch in the recess to create some divots for the epoxy to bite into. Also, I had decent luck straightening my bent axles with a brass hammer and a vise.

First ride was good.  I re-used my bushings and bottom washer, but still got some of that new soft bushing vibe.  I'm wondering if the krux top washer, which doesn't seem to make a lot of contact with the bushing, contributes to that.  Did not get so much as a scratch on the kingpins in a quick bs 50/ fs 50 session. 

@listentoaheartbeat  I did swap my hangers front and back, and the huge now front toeside groove did hamper me on a few frontside grinds, but that was probably my lackluster technique - i.e. the kingpin needs to be on the wrong side of the edge/coping for it to slip into the groove.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10582 on: October 24, 2021, 09:39:46 AM »
@listentoaheartbeat  I did swap my hangers front and back, and the huge now front toeside groove did hamper me on a few frontside grinds, but that was probably my lackluster technique - i.e. the kingpin needs to be on the wrong side of the edge/coping for it to slip into the groove.

Thanks, that’s exactly what I am worried about. Trying to finally get into Fs grinds after neglecting most things Frontside on transition for 30 years, so my technique sucks. Nevertheless, I’ll try it when I go to the bowl next week. Meanwhile I gave in to consumerism once again and bought a new set of Titaniums (for the price of Forged Hollows, couldn’t resist that deal), so I can combine my two sets of regular 169s and ditch the hangers with the deep back truck groove. This way it shouldn’t be that big of a deal I hope, my front truck grooves are mellow.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #10583 on: October 24, 2021, 11:39:33 AM »
When I skated thunders I did this because they grind down fast and the clearance sucked.  It's a bit weird but didn't want to buy new trucks every 6 mo....a downlo kingpin might help with the clearance too.

What do you skate now?
5.6s?

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10584 on: October 24, 2021, 02:12:28 PM »
Reddit hack for tighter trucks without ruing the bushings.

What trucks are those? Tensor tens mag light middle? I’ve got 3 sets of mag light lows but the baseplate is much different. If they are the magnesium mids, how do you like them?

beandemon

« Reply #10585 on: October 24, 2021, 02:44:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks, that’s exactly what I am worried about. Trying to finally get into Fs grinds after neglecting most things Frontside on transition for 30 years, so my technique sucks. Nevertheless, I’ll try it when I go to the bowl next week. Meanwhile I gave in to consumerism once again and bought a new set of Titaniums (for the price of Forged Hollows, couldn’t resist that deal), so I can combine my two sets of regular 169s and ditch the hangers with the deep back truck groove. This way it shouldn’t be that big of a deal I hope, my front truck grooves are mellow.

Don’t worry. In my experience, to be a viable FS grind on transition, the kingpin has to be on the deck side of the high point of the coping. It’s not like bs where just the wheel is on the deck and whole truck can be hanging into the ramp because you can put your weight on your heel and still be ok. If your front truck toeside groove is located like mine, it is well onto the deck, off the coping, on a makable frontside grind.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10586 on: October 24, 2021, 03:10:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Don’t worry. In my experience, to be a viable FS grind on transition, the kingpin has to be on the deck side of the high point of the coping. It’s not like bs where just the wheel is on the deck and whole truck can be hanging into the ramp because you can put your weight on your heel and still be ok. If your front truck toeside groove is located like mine, it is well onto the deck, off the coping, on a makable frontside grind.

Yeah, sounds sensible. Tonight I skated a miniramp with my street setup that has fairly new trucks with no groove and I didn’t miss a single lock-in so I am probably just overthinking it.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #10587 on: October 25, 2021, 06:17:21 AM »
Venture stock bushing are horrendous

felt like a Walmart complete

what are yall putting in these? (or is it just break in time?)
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #10588 on: October 25, 2021, 06:21:11 AM »

Break in time

They're the business when broken in
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #10589 on: October 25, 2021, 06:36:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Break in time

They're the business when broken in

They feel pretty decent to me and the break in was short, but my front top basically disintegrated in a month. Can’t really handle the pinch I guess. I threw an Ace low top on, tempted to put Ace classic bottoms on as well, especially with winter coming, but the venture bottoms are still good.