Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221053 times)

Idk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10590 on: October 25, 2021, 06:54:37 AM »
I had one set of Ventures during the summer where the front top bushing on my front truck disintegrated but this new set they’re all still good.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10591 on: October 25, 2021, 09:17:11 AM »
The Venture design will eat bushings if you slappy with the stock washer. It pinches the bushing really badly where the washers end up grooving the hanger divot. Venture will send free replacements or you can do flat washers and avoid this. I kinda think Venture should do flat stock given the design and since everyone I know changes out for those anyways.

I've been skating Indy Mid Hollow lately and so far so good. They feel like a Thunder in terms of responsiveness, pinch is sick, Indy turn and grind is good as well. I guess they're fairly heavy, but I don't notice. I came from Forged Hollows, so they're 1.5mm lower and the wheelbase is almost a 1/4" smaller so they do feel different. I don't really agree that they're a fail on Indy's part and if anything they're a great option if you like Thunders and want a different choice for some reason.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #10592 on: November 03, 2021, 12:15:29 PM »
Question, does it matter if your kingpins rattle when not installed?

When you tighten the kingpin down on the bushings won’t the kingpin tighten through the tension?

Just wondering if JB Welding in place will matter?

Thoughts?

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10593 on: November 03, 2021, 03:04:37 PM »

When you tighten the kingpin down on the bushings won’t the kingpin tighten through the tension?

Thoughts?

Last time I had a loose kingpin it did this super loud click when turning, I could even feel it under my feet. Super annoying.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #10594 on: November 03, 2021, 03:11:05 PM »

Thoughts?

No kingpin should be loose, and I think every maker covers a loose kingpin under warranty. You could try fixing it yourself, or do what I did and use it an an excuse to use an inverse kingpin. Otherwise contact the manufacturer about a warranty claim.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #10595 on: November 04, 2021, 07:36:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Reddit hack for tighter trucks without ruing the bushings.

[close]
What trucks are those? Tensor tens mag light middle? I’ve got 3 sets of mag light lows but the baseplate is much different. If they are the magnesium mids, how do you like them?

those are the tensor mag light atg but looks like different bushings installed. love my mag lights!

Srt32srt

« Reply #10596 on: November 04, 2021, 07:38:52 AM »
Expand Quote

Thoughts?
[close]

id contact the manufacturer for a new set of trucks before i remove and replace anything! most likely a manufacturers defect!

No kingpin should be loose, and I think every maker covers a loose kingpin under warranty. You could try fixing it yourself, or do what I did and use it an an excuse to use an inverse kingpin. Otherwise contact the manufacturer about a warranty claim.

Srt32srt

« Reply #10597 on: November 04, 2021, 07:41:45 AM »
Expand Quote
I bought some barely used forged hollows and the dude didnt know they were ti's. I kinda don't like how light they are, would never buy, but they prob weigh what a Thunder Team Hollow does and those don't feel "too light"
[close]

I feel the same way, would only buy them on a heavy discount or if they were part of a setup someone was getting rid off for cheap. They are great, but not life changing, and I couldn't convince myself to spend $80 on trucks.

only indys i will ride are the titaniums, got a brand new pair of 169ti for $40. if iwant a heavy truck ill go with ace which is superior in every aspect! once ace makes a hollow light or magnesium baseplate again with hollow axles they will have the ulitmate truck! but until then....

sketchyrider

« Reply #10598 on: November 04, 2021, 08:04:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I bought some barely used forged hollows and the dude didnt know they were ti's. I kinda don't like how light they are, would never buy, but they prob weigh what a Thunder Team Hollow does and those don't feel "too light"
[close]

I feel the same way, would only buy them on a heavy discount or if they were part of a setup someone was getting rid off for cheap. They are great, but not life changing, and I couldn't convince myself to spend $80 on trucks.
[close]

only indys i will ride are the titaniums, got a brand new pair of 169ti for $40. if iwant a heavy truck ill go with ace which is superior in every aspect! once ace makes a hollow light or magnesium baseplate again with hollow axles they will have the ulitmate truck! but until then....

i liked my 159 ti's for a while, but i started to notice they threw off my timing when i would ollie, my back foot would come off more often.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #10599 on: November 04, 2021, 08:08:30 AM »

Wouldn’t this be the same amount of downforce on the bushings as if you were to tighten them without all the washers though? Not sure how this would preserve your bushings. The only benefit I could see from doing this would be not catching and tearing up your kingpin threads on smiths.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10600 on: November 04, 2021, 08:17:51 AM »
Looking for a low wide truck. Something around a 9”.
I can’t seem to find that combo.

IpathCats

« Reply #10601 on: November 04, 2021, 08:30:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wouldn’t this be the same amount of downforce on the bushings as if you were to tighten them without all the washers though? Not sure how this would preserve your bushings. The only benefit I could see from doing this would be not catching and tearing up your kingpin threads on smiths.

If you want to find some people that don't know shit about skating, look for the people on Reddit trying to figure out ways to make their tensors super tight. Hahaha.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #10602 on: November 04, 2021, 08:36:41 PM »

MiniLogo 8.75 is 47.5mm and they’re surprisingly decent.

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #10603 on: November 05, 2021, 01:51:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

MiniLogo 8.75 is 47.5mm and they’re surprisingly decent.

Also check out Gullwing Shadows. Basically a low&wide Indy clone. Carves nice and pulls in the wheelbase the same as Indys. I think they're about 50mm high. I'm trying out an 8.5" set right now but they also make a 9". The aluminum casting is actually really high quality (cleaner than most Ermico trucks I've had). I've heard they're also made in the US but I don't know that for sure. Might be worth a shot.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10604 on: November 05, 2021, 08:46:07 PM »

Depends on how lo, bro.

Thunder 161s (9.1" and 52mm forged or 53mm cast, not 'low' but still sweet, especially at that width). Also, light. If you decide on these, let me know I've a got a lightly used set of forged hollows I'm willing to sell off if you are state-side/lower 48.

ACE 55 (9.0") classics 52mm (? Who knows anymore, they used be sold as 52, now ACE says 53). Not light...

Royal (new ones) 52mm 8.75: can't speak to how light, but if the 149s are any indication, they've heavier than thunder but lighter than indy

ML 8.75

The only really low wiiiide truck I would recommend are mini logos (usual haters will hate) but as noted above they are surprisingly good for low trucks (and they are the lowest of the low), or just a truck in general (skate / feel is like an indy style, carvey).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:53:03 PM by Xen »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10605 on: November 07, 2021, 05:32:02 PM »
pretty sure venture 6.1s on forged plates are 52mm
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #10606 on: November 07, 2021, 06:29:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Exactly

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #10607 on: November 13, 2021, 05:03:35 PM »
Back on Independent after a very long time on Ace because I wanted an 8.75” truck. Running stock tops, 90a orange conical bottom bushings, and no bottom washer. Doesn’t quite feel like Ace, but it’s pretty close.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #10608 on: November 18, 2021, 03:06:45 PM »
I‘ve been riding Indy 144s since my comeback mostly on 8.5 decks. The 144s are soon needing to be replaced so I wondered if I should upsize to 149s Indies or Lurpivs but I wonder if it will mess with my flick. What do you recon?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10609 on: November 19, 2021, 12:49:35 AM »
Lurpiv 149mm, they come with built in washers on the hangar side, as well as attached to the bolt. I still put one extra washer on the hangar side of each truck to push the wheels out just a little bit more. Got spitfire formula 4 54mm conical full, with bones ceramics. Shit is NIIICEEEEE

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #10610 on: November 19, 2021, 01:19:48 AM »
Lurpiv 149mm, they come with built in washers on the hangar side, as well as attached to the bolt. I still put one extra washer on the hangar side of each truck to push the wheels out just a little bit more. Got spitfire formula 4 54mm conical full, with bones ceramics. Shit is NIIICEEEEE

What is the turn like on those?

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10611 on: November 19, 2021, 01:30:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I only got to skate them for about an hour. I posted about it in the "Oski's new truck brand" thread.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #10612 on: November 19, 2021, 01:55:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I only got to skate them for about an hour. I posted about it in the "Oski's new truck brand" thread.

Ok, I’ll take a look

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #10613 on: November 19, 2021, 06:41:00 AM »
I‘ve been riding Indy 144s since my comeback mostly on 8.5 decks. The 144s are soon needing to be replaced so I wondered if I should upsize to 149s Indies or Lurpivs but I wonder if it will mess with my flick. What do you recon?

Wider trucks are harder to flick, as a function of great leverage. 149 trucks fit 8.50 a little more comfortably than 144s, but if you find the 144s comfortable and easy to flick, and the size isn’t otherwise effecting your skating, a wider truck is not going to improve that.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #10614 on: November 19, 2021, 06:49:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wider trucks are harder to flick, as a function of great leverage. 149 trucks fit 8.50 a little more comfortably than 144s, but if you find the 144s comfortable and easy to flick, and the size isn’t otherwise effecting your skating, a wider truck is not going to improve that.

Ok thanks, I imagined something like this… I would hate to lose my flips that I have been working on so hard.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #10615 on: November 19, 2021, 07:16:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agree with wider trucks being harder to flick.
As I’ve gotten older, I skate better/longer, on smaller setups.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #10616 on: November 19, 2021, 09:56:25 AM »
On paper a wide truck is harder to flick off of and I definitely notice that too. But personally for some tricks it actually works out better. Backside flips I tend to overflip so the wider trucks almost make them more controlled and folded. Similar thing with fakie flips. Switch flips feel a little more stable when setting up so end result is they work better too. Some tricks do suffer for sure though, sw tres, sw bs flips, fs flips etc.

I'd say generally its a bit worse for tricks you don't fully have or are trying to learn.

user18081971

« Reply #10617 on: November 19, 2021, 11:54:42 AM »
Sipped axle on my old indy’s ( I mean very old, unavoidable really.) and I feel as though an extra washer or two per wheel with race reds/any company who does that spacer-embedded thing would fix this. Or JB weld the small part of the axle that is visible behind the kingpin nut/top washer.
Thoughts?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10618 on: November 19, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »
Sipped axle on my old indy’s ( I mean very old, unavoidable really.) and I feel as though an extra washer or two per wheel with race reds/any company who does that spacer-embedded thing would fix this. Or JB weld the small part of the axle that is visible behind the kingpin nut/top washer.
Thoughts?

The "locked in with something" axles are the best option for not having to do too much else, but anything you do there might get knocked loose again with constant use.

Having Race Reds and washers as you said should stop the axle slip stopping the wheels from spinning freely, as well as the easiest solution long term, if you intend to skate them on a normal setup.

I know older trucks with axle slip tend to be easier as cruisers, or on setups that don't get a whole lot of axle hits, be it from flip tricks or skating normally and just having the board hitting things, so for me wider wheels and keeping them going on cruisers is the better alternative.  Given how well old Indy trucks turn, it is a good solution for me, but I know not everyone has too much stuff to be able to mix and match at will.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

user18081971

« Reply #10619 on: November 19, 2021, 08:04:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Thoughts?
[close]

The "locked in with something" axles are the best option for not having to do too much else, but anything you do there might get knocked loose again with constant use.

Having Race Reds and washers as you said should stop the axle slip stopping the wheels from spinning freely, as well as the easiest solution long term, if you intend to skate them on a normal setup.

I know older trucks with axle slip tend to be easier as cruisers, or on setups that don't get a whole lot of axle hits, be it from flip tricks or skating normally and just having the board hitting things, so for me wider wheels and keeping them going on cruisers is the better alternative.  Given how well old Indy trucks turn, it is a good solution for me, but I know not everyone has too much stuff to be able to mix and match at will.
Thank you! I feel like an idiot having to repetitively tap the axles. I'm trying to make a ditch/atv board, need to find the perfect bushing combo though. I've seen the old ones and they looked huge.