Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221283 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10740 on: January 25, 2022, 03:31:31 AM »
What does no bottom cup do? Seems like it’ll be sloppier since the bottom bushing is able to mash out around the baseplate

As in no bottom washer?

Try it and see.

It is a whole new world of crazy carving turns and great on bowls or pump tracks but a little harder to control or get used to if you are skating normal street things as you are totally more prone to wheelbite and all that.

Quite a few of the bowl kids ride that as their standard go to, as well as being able to skate street on them as well, but they are pretty small light weight bodies, for the most part.  Some other bigger dudes also skate like that as they are very much in control of ankle movements, but it can take some getting used to for sure.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

disclosed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #10741 on: January 25, 2022, 11:39:31 AM »
about the 215's, wasn't the rumor that the old mold broke or something i remember.
they didnt make them for a long time, then in late 2019/early 2020 the started to produce them again with this new shape. first in small batches that sold out instantly every time. i guess those were like test runs. but since last year or so they've been well stocked again.

they didn't remover the iron cross at the same time as the remodel tho. mine have them and my friends do aswell.

i think the whole baseplate was taller than normal stage 11's. not only the bushings. i think the truck might be higher in general to compensate the width.
i take that back. just checked.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10742 on: January 25, 2022, 02:27:55 PM »
about the 215's, wasn't the rumor that the old mold broke or something i remember.
they didnt make them for a long time, then in late 2019/early 2020 the started to produce them again with this new shape. first in small batches that sold out instantly every time. i guess those were like test runs. but since last year or so they've been well stocked again.

they didn't remover the iron cross at the same time as the remodel tho. mine have them and my friends do aswell.

i think the whole baseplate was taller than normal stage 11's. not only the bushings. i think the truck might be higher in general to compensate the width.
i take that back. just checked.

It was crazy how many people wanted 215s when they stopped making them.

The last couple of sets I had went to "megaramp" kids who all were told they had to have 215s to ride the big megaramp setup down in Victoria (Australia only has one megaramp) but many were getting away with 169s anyway as they really didn't need super wide trucks for the beginner levels (which was no joke any which way you looked at it).

That also left all the regular 215 riders struggling to find any, but I think a number of those guys ended up getting the widest Ace trucks, just to get them through.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10743 on: January 26, 2022, 08:36:47 AM »
Just got these 159s in a trade. Typically I run blue medium barrel or Bones hard in Indys, but I had a set of Ace low bushings around and decided to try them out.

I've always accepted that a lot of the Ace turn comes from the bushings, but damn if these don't turn exactly like a 44 classic. Been loving Indy for the grind and pop feel, but this resolves a lot of things for me.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #10744 on: January 26, 2022, 12:23:17 PM »
I replaced some blown out Indy medium bushings with some well used Ace from my broken 44s and they work really well. It wasn’t night and day for me but it was a solid choice, the turn was still great.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #10745 on: January 26, 2022, 03:46:40 PM »
Forged IKP baseplates are going out to a few folks now.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10746 on: January 26, 2022, 07:20:19 PM »

About time! Smells like ti mids...50/51mm

I replaced some blown out Indy medium bushings with some well used Ace from my broken 44s and they work really well. It wasn’t night and day for me but it was a solid choice, the turn was still great.

ANY truck that uses a barrel bushing is better with ACE dual Duro bushings (but with a low top) no question (looking at you Venture people who want a bit more turn); you can get away with using dual duro Indy bushings as well, but I feel the ACE bushings are higher quality. That said, last time I rode indys (ti 149s) I had bones med and they felt great.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:44:34 PM by Xen »

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #10747 on: January 27, 2022, 04:59:56 PM »
Anyone have any tips on shaving down bushings?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
« Reply #10748 on: January 27, 2022, 05:37:17 PM »
Did Indy update the design of 215’s at some point in the past couple years?  I was looking at some for sale online and the ones that still have the iron cross logo on the baseplate (which I assume are older) have a hanger that tapers on the ends and the back of the hanger looks thinner.  The ones without the iron cross logo (which I assume are newer ones) do not have the taper at the edge of the hanger and appear to have a thicker hanger towards the center of the truck.  I dont remember seeing any type of advertised update but I may have just missed it.  Never skated 215’s before and I was curious if there’s any noticeable difference in performance.

In my experience the old 215s didn't turn well at all. I hear the new ones turn way better now.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #10749 on: January 27, 2022, 06:14:16 PM »
Wide ass trucks handle like  boats no matter what. You don’t turn with them, you bring her about.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10750 on: January 28, 2022, 06:25:07 AM »

IMO the easiest way was to take an old board and rub the bottom up and down the center and measure with calipers every now and then. I've tried it with sandpaper and sanding blocks before, but the balance of speed and control going up and down the board center was the most efficient way. If you do it, wear a pair of rubber dipped work gloves.

Also, @Mbrimson88 (sorry to keep tagging you) posted this IG story a while back about how to cut your bushings that I have yet to try:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18116186356129610/

spicysk8rboi

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10751 on: January 28, 2022, 06:54:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

About time! Smells like ti mids...50/51mm

Expand Quote
[close]

ANY truck that uses a barrel bushing is better with ACE dual Duro bushings (but with a low top) no question (looking at you Venture people who want a bit more turn); you can get away with using dual duro Indy bushings as well, but I feel the ACE bushings are higher quality. That said, last time I rode indys (ti 149s) I had bones med and they felt great.

wouldn’t this put it closer to the forged truck height with ti hangars, 53.5mm?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10752 on: January 28, 2022, 07:03:25 AM »
No, because the hanger is the difference between Mids and Regular. This would lower them by 1.5mm, making them 50.5

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10753 on: January 28, 2022, 07:30:28 AM »
Wide ass trucks handle like  boats no matter what. You don’t turn with them, you bring her about.

nice

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10754 on: January 28, 2022, 07:33:03 AM »

hardly art, hardly starving

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10755 on: January 28, 2022, 03:11:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

IMO the easiest way was to take an old board and rub the bottom up and down the center and measure with calipers every now and then. I've tried it with sandpaper and sanding blocks before, but the balance of speed and control going up and down the board center was the most efficient way. If you do it, wear a pair of rubber dipped work gloves.

Also, @Mbrimson88 (sorry to keep tagging you) posted this IG story a while back about how to cut your bushings that I have yet to try:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18116186356129610/

Always happy to help.

That is the sole reason for putting up all the "Fix it" or "How to" type posts.

If anyone can benefit from those posts, being able to change things up without having a blow out or destroying their product, then I am all for it.

It is also funny how many bushings when they get older compress down and by putting the cut off bit back in, it almost brings new life to the bushings again.  Not always, but it has definitely worked on some sets, re using the older parts in other trucks with blown out bushings.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #10756 on: January 29, 2022, 08:15:29 AM »
I’m currently on a pair of Indy 149 Titanium’s. I really like them, perfect balance between good, fun steering, but still low weight. The only thing I’m still looking into is the bushings. Stock bushings are good, but I’m looking for something that will make them spring back a little more, likt he Ace bushings do. Has anyone tried Ace bushings in Indy trucks? I believe they’re a bit large, does anyone know if the Ace Low Bushings work? Or another combination of bushings perhaps? :)

I’m currently using Indy stock as bottom bushing, and a bones hard (without the washer) on top. This already makes it spring back a little better :)

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #10757 on: January 29, 2022, 09:41:07 AM »
I’m currently on a pair of Indy 149 Titanium’s. I really like them, perfect balance between good, fun steering, but still low weight. The only thing I’m still looking into is the bushings. Stock bushings are good, but I’m looking for something that will make them spring back a little more, likt he Ace bushings do. Has anyone tried Ace bushings in Indy trucks? I believe they’re a bit large, does anyone know if the Ace Low Bushings work? Or another combination of bushings perhaps? :)

I’m currently using Indy stock as bottom bushing, and a bones hard (without the washer) on top. This already makes it spring back a little better :)

Ace bushings are great in Indy's, probably the best possible turn you can have other than actual Ace trucks. Ran Ace bushings for a while in my Indy's, but kept stock ones on the last pair I bought, but would definitely switch back, the combo was awesome.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10758 on: January 29, 2022, 11:16:00 AM »

Apologies for the gratuitous self-quote, but...

Just got these 159s in a trade. Typically I run blue medium barrel or Bones hard in Indys, but I had a set of Ace low bushings around and decided to try them out.

I've always accepted that a lot of the Ace turn comes from the bushings, but damn if these don't turn exactly like a 44 classic. Been loving Indy for the grind and pop feel, but this resolves a lot of things for me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10759 on: January 29, 2022, 12:52:25 PM »
People are starting to like Indy’s again?  Maybe the pandemic IS over…….

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10760 on: January 29, 2022, 06:05:31 PM »

The ACE low bottom is just a hair shorter than the indy aftermarkets which are a hair shorter than stock indy bushings....I honestly didn't notice a different in turn using them; they're about the 'compressed' size anyway.

People are starting to like Indy’s again?  Maybe the pandemic IS over…….

I think the majority of slap rides Indy, they're just not the vocal minorities.

Was skating my 159s at a bowl the other day, felt great for that application.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:14:16 PM by Xen »

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #10761 on: January 30, 2022, 11:51:59 AM »
Thanks for the tips :) The Ace Low bushings seem difficult to find, especially in Europe. I think I’ll try to get my hands on the  regular aftermarket Ace bushings and sand/cut them to the right size!

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #10762 on: January 30, 2022, 01:27:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips :) The Ace Low bushings seem difficult to find, especially in Europe. I think I’ll try to get my hands on the  regular aftermarket Ace bushings and sand/cut them to the right size!

The bottom bushing of the Ace classics is actually perfect for most trucks, it's the top that is quite a bit taller than normal, so you should only have to shave that one down. The perfect combo is actually a classic bottom bushing, and a 'low' top bushing. I would try 'em stock before you mod, especially if you don't ride that loose it might work out. Also, the bottom bushing is 85% of the magic, so you can try that with whatever you would normally use for the top for very similar results. I fully agree with all the praise, they are great bushings, it's like a whole new urethane formula, the F4 of bushings if you will. The new Royal bushings are similar, but I don't think they're available without getting the trucks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10763 on: February 01, 2022, 02:09:11 PM »
Assuming the same deck and wheels is there an online tool where you can calculate the angle of the deck when the tail hits the ground? Theoretically if a brand has forged plates that lower the trucks about the same distance as the total WB extension I would assume the tail would hit about the same time. Would be interesting to toy with to see which trucks create the same overall board angle.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #10764 on: February 01, 2022, 03:10:47 PM »
You’re not popping with the same power in your leg each time. None of this matters.

I bought 5.6 ventures because I sized up. I will run them stock with 2 threads showing; the same as I’ve always run them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10765 on: February 01, 2022, 04:45:48 PM »
It actually does, because the force required to hit the ground is likely near identical, however, maybe balance over the front matters? Just an interesting thought exercise (for me).

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #10766 on: February 02, 2022, 08:47:07 AM »
Indy Ti users, have you experienced axle slip?

I have thicker speedrings on the inside and stock thin ones on the bolt side. Makes the axle nut flush with the end of the axle with just a tiny bit of wheel-play normally.

I land primo more often than I'd like to admit, and the right side of both of my axles now bind with that setup somewhat often, while the left side has more wheel-play.

Bummed. Should I reach out to NHS? How do I prove it to them?

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #10767 on: February 02, 2022, 08:56:04 AM »

I have thicker speedrings on the inside and stock thin ones on the bolt side. Makes the axle nut flush with the end of the axle with just a tiny bit of wheel-play normally.

I land primo more often than I'd like to admit, and the right side of both of my axles now bind with that setup somewhat often, while the left side has more wheel-play.

I had a really bad set of standards when they first made the move to China. Axle slip, bushings cracked day one at stock setting and extra flash on the axle where my bearing would get stuck on the axle. I took some photos and sent them in but they said they needed me to ship them back. I requested a return shipping label and they obliged. Two weeks later I had a brand new all around better set in my mailbox. If you’ve got another set of trucks to ride in the meantime it’s worth the effort.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #10768 on: February 02, 2022, 09:34:04 AM »

You should absolutely reach out to NHS, although be aware that Independent Trucks are no longer "guaranteed for life" - in fact, officially the warranty is only valid for 120 fucking days. Nevertheless, it's probably worth reaching out. I've had plenty of luck navigating around warranty issues by simple being polite and professional in emails.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #10769 on: February 02, 2022, 10:09:14 AM »
Re: the Ace bushings in other trucks discussion, I ran broken in Ace classic bushings in 159 forged hollows and it was one of the nicest feeling turns I've ever experienced, an absolute joy.  The geometry of the Indy felt unaffected, which was nice, but the quality of the turn itself felt smoother, more stable/less wiggly and they recentered better (all like an Ace) presumably due to the mixed duro bushings. I don't skate boards that wide anymore, but I keep those trucks in case I ever want to.