Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1078068 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10740 on: December 29, 2021, 03:57:39 PM »
Novice truck question here, hopefully I can explain it adequately.

I recently changed setup from

8.5 AH Eagle deck with standard Indy 149s

to

8.75 AH Eagle deck with Forged Titanium Indy 159s.

I expected the new trucks to feel tight relative to my old trucks, but they feel much looser! So loose I was getting speed wobbles just going in a straight line ha. I haven't adjusted them though and have just kept skating them, and they are starting to feel really nice.

My question is: does the distance between the trucks and the board affect how loose the trucks feel?  I have went from 55mm to 53.5mm (I think) by moving to the titanium Indys, which I thought might play a role.

Any info would be sweet.

Wider trucks have more leverage. The longer a lever, the less effort is required to move relative to the fulcrum.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10741 on: December 29, 2021, 04:11:44 PM »
Novice truck question here, hopefully I can explain it adequately.

I recently changed setup from

8.5 AH Eagle deck with standard Indy 149s

to

8.75 AH Eagle deck with Forged Titanium Indy 159s.

I expected the new trucks to feel tight relative to my old trucks, but they feel much looser! So loose I was getting speed wobbles just going in a straight line ha. I haven't adjusted them though and have just kept skating them, and they are starting to feel really nice.

My question is: does the distance between the trucks and the board affect how loose the trucks feel?  I have went from 55mm to 53.5mm (I think) by moving to the titanium Indys, which I thought might play a role.

Any info would be sweet.

Edit: Apologies, I thought you were asking about wheelbase, not height. What beandemon said was correct.

If you don't wanna wait for your bushings to firm up you can always throw your old bushings on the new trucks, pretty standard practice for a lot of people who wanna carry over the same feel. Indy bushings are interchangeable.

I donít think the difference in height is causing the looser feel. New bushings ďfirm upĒ as they break in and wider board and trucks act as a longer lever against the bushings, hence the squirrelly feel.

Both good answers!

Re bushings - yes the new Indy bushings will always feel a bit weird at first, but if you try to run them in, they will firm up and perform really well, compared to some people cranking them down and squashing out the responsiveness too soon.

I am always curious for people to swap over their old bushings and see if they can get them to feel the same, compared to just taking a few sessions wearing them in nicely, after which time they work so well.

As to the differences in boards, I have had both of those set up (even in those combinations) and the 8.5 eagle is a much shorter board, so everything is going to feel so much bigger and more "boat like" on the 8.75 board, but it is a touch lower so you have a little more response in ollies and of course much more turn until those bushings wear in.

I would pick the 8.75 over the 8.5 after trying both, as I am also about the same height and weight, but it is also down to how comfortable you feel on which size board, so I am interested to hear what you think after half a dozen solid sessions.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 39
« Reply #10742 on: December 29, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »
I donít think the difference in height is causing the looser feel. New bushings ďfirm upĒ as they break in and wider board and trucks act as a longer lever against the bushings, hence the squirrelly feel.

Wider trucks have more leverage. The longer a lever, the less effort is required to move relative to the fulcrum.

Thank you for these excellent answers, I did not expect the bushings to become more firm after breaking them in. 

To check my understanding: the height isn't making the difference in feel, it's the width of the trucks. Less pressure is required for the trucks to turn and this makes the trucks feel looser. If I were to size up again to a wider board and 169s, I would feel this effect even more.

Re bushings - yes the new Indy bushings will always feel a bit weird at first, but if you try to run them in, they will firm up and perform really well, compared to some people cranking them down and squashing out the responsiveness too soon.

I am always curious for people to swap over their old bushings and see if they can get them to feel the same, compared to just taking a few sessions wearing them in nicely, after which time they work so well.

As to the differences in boards, I have had both of those set up (even in those combinations) and the 8.5 eagle is a much shorter board, so everything is going to feel so much bigger and more "boat like" on the 8.75 board, but it is a touch lower so you have a little more response in ollies and of course much more turn until those bushings wear in.

I would pick the 8.75 over the 8.5 after trying both, as I am also about the same height and weight, but it is also down to how comfortable you feel on which size board, so I am interested to hear what you think after half a dozen solid sessions.

I don't plan on changing the bushings, I wanted to go through the 'new truck' experience so will just continue to skate them. Interesting point about the 8.5 eagle deck, my previous setup was the 8.25 eagle deck and the 149s and I preferred that to the 8.5 deck.

So far I am really enjoying the 8.75, feels so much more secure locking into the coping on bigger transition and it doesn't feel too big on mini ramp.

Ha, I probably misunderstand, do you know me?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:27:57 PM by hotdogsweatpants »
Lifeís too short to be on some nerd shit

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10743 on: December 29, 2021, 06:52:04 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Ha, I probably misunderstand, do you know me?

Iím skating 8.5, both set of trucks are 149s. Iím about 6í2Ē (187cm) and weigh about 187lbs (85kg) I like the above average width for landings and it doesnít feel too wide. I like the snappy pop of the thunders, but I really liked the surfy steering feel of Aces that I also tried for a while. I thought the Indy Hollow Lights would be a good middle ground, but they feel a tad heavier than I expected. Maybe I should give it a few more sessions to get used to the pop timing.

Bugger hey?!?  *

Not the first time I have read over two pages and confused posts from different people.

No, I do not know your size and weight, as that was the other comment.

Carry on.

* Things sure do get weird online if someone starts quoting things you haven't said, or seems to know more about you than they should.

juniormint

• Rep: 40
« Reply #10744 on: January 03, 2022, 07:45:13 AM »
Ok, I currently have some truck madness going on myself... I'm having a hard time deciding on wheter to skate Thunder Hollow Lights or Indy Forged Hollows.

When skating the Thunders, popping ollies and doing flip tricks feel easier and lighter. The board 'sticks' to my feet better when I pop, and flips are faster and I land them more often. Everything generally takes less effort so I can skate for longer or do tricks even when I'm a bit more tired. The steering on the Thunders is not bad, but not great either.

The first thing I notice when skating the Indy's is the steering, it's just so much more fun to just ride around on my board compared to the Thunders. Doing tricks is a little more difficult though... Popping feels a bit heavier, and my landings also feel heavier somehow. I can eventually get my flip tricks around, but everything just takes a bit more effort and I don't land them as often.

Have people been in the same situation, deciding between Thunder and Indy? What made you choose one over the other?

Not to play devils advocate, but,
you could try chucking some 1/8 risers on your thunders. It really improves the turnÖmakes them a better truck imo.

GBLange

• Rep: 79
« Reply #10745 on: January 15, 2022, 12:22:25 AM »
anybody ever tried or currently using the Qwiktrucks quick release system?

Buttfart Rapedick

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 441
« Reply #10746 on: January 15, 2022, 01:49:11 AM »
I started running indy conical 92s in my venture 5.6 hollows. It doesn't change the turn nearly as much as I thought it would.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10747 on: January 15, 2022, 04:01:06 AM »

After watching the video of it giving extra weight and adding the equivalent of 1/4" height, I thought that was one amazing invention that will not be on any of my boards.

Ever.

That said, I am sure someone somewhere has a use for them.

Just not me.

backinaction

• Rep: 150
« Reply #10748 on: January 15, 2022, 06:59:35 AM »

They cost more than buying a second deck to use with your second set of trucks, are heavy and tall as fuck. 

Hard pass.

beandemon

• Rep: 95
« Reply #10749 on: January 15, 2022, 07:27:07 AM »
I started running indy conical 92s in my venture 5.6 hollows. It doesn't change the turn nearly as much as I thought it would.

Your still dealing with the geometry.  You can ditch washers and roll bushings to get a bit more of this or a bit less of that, but the geometry is pretty fixed.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #10750 on: January 19, 2022, 07:18:55 AM »
Can I get a truck recommendation? Need 8.5", and I skate larger wheels (56-57mm) so I prefer a higher truck. I would use risers if I had to though. I want a truck on the lighter side with some good turn. I was thinking possibly Thunder hollow lights with risers or hollow Indy's.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10751 on: January 19, 2022, 07:41:09 AM »
Can I get a truck recommendation? Need 8.5", and I skate larger wheels (56-57mm) so I prefer a higher truck. I would use risers if I had to though. I want a truck on the lighter side with some good turn. I was thinking possibly Thunder hollow lights with risers or hollow Indy's.

You really can't go wrong with Indy 159s

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10752 on: January 19, 2022, 07:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been skating the Indy hollows (cast, not forged) as of late and they feel perfect.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 469
« Reply #10753 on: January 19, 2022, 08:05:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://destructotrucks.com/products/d1-squadron-raw-mid

At a massive 58mm, canít forget about these.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #10754 on: January 19, 2022, 08:21:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why 159's over 149's for an 8.5" deck? Couldn't I just run 149s with a couple extra washers?

logjammin

• Rep: 72
« Reply #10755 on: January 19, 2022, 08:25:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

These look sick, I wonder if they turn good?

HumBoogie

• Rep: 57
« Reply #10756 on: January 19, 2022, 08:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Why 159's over 149's for an 8.5" deck? Couldn't I just run 149s with a couple extra washers?
That's what I do. That way I can ride an 8.25 or an 8.5 if I want.

Weezil

• Rep: 10
« Reply #10757 on: January 19, 2022, 08:54:40 AM »
I'd just get indy 149 standards and call it a day. I don't think the hollows are worth it personally. Especially if you're running 56mm+ wheels.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 8
« Reply #10758 on: January 19, 2022, 09:02:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The regular Destructos I think are an underrated truck.  Never had any issues with turning.  I mostly have run Ventures and they are significantly surfier.  If you run loose though you may want to grab a set of their softer bushings.  Stock bushings are pretty hard

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10759 on: January 19, 2022, 11:49:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sure man, get whatever. Both are great trucks. I like 'em a little wide but 149 works perfectly, too

logjammin

• Rep: 72
« Reply #10760 on: January 19, 2022, 12:07:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The regular Destructos I think are an underrated truck.  Never had any issues with turning.  I mostly have run Ventures and they are significantly surfier.  If you run loose though you may want to grab a set of their softer bushings.  Stock bushings are pretty hard

The destructo D1 you'd say is turnier than ventures?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 8
« Reply #10761 on: January 19, 2022, 12:29:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Used Venture as the example because that's the stereotype of them not turning.
Take this with a grain of salt since I only have Indys on a cruiser setup but the D1s feel similar.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 48
« Reply #10762 on: January 19, 2022, 02:52:05 PM »
For any of yíall riding Riptide bushings in Thunders, which ones do you run? They give measurements in inches and it seems like their heights might be shorter than stock Thunder (maybe Iím trippin, I donít know). Does it seem like a shorter bushing? Dropping the angle/wheel biting more/compressing to even shorter over time?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #10763 on: January 21, 2022, 09:48:38 AM »
For any of y’all riding Riptide bushings in Thunders, which ones do you run? They give measurements in inches and it seems like their heights might be shorter than stock Thunder (maybe I’m trippin, I don’t know). Does it seem like a shorter bushing? Dropping the angle/wheel biting more/compressing to even shorter over time?

I mixed and matched because the Thunder bottom bushing is fucking huge compared to all the other bushings out there.

TOP: RipTide KranK Short Street Cone (Color: White, Durometer: 87a) - same size as stock thunders

BOTTOM: Venom Pastel Blue SHR Super Carve Cones (86a) - NOTE: it's a bit taller than the thunder bushing but would compress down in short order (I sanded mine down a little, literally like 2min worth of shaving it down).

This was the best combo I found for Thunders as I feel the stock bushings are trash (they work but have crappy rebound).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10764 on: January 21, 2022, 12:50:56 PM »
Iíd consider even just running thunders and just get the riptide pivot cupÖ.

off

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #10765 on: January 21, 2022, 03:41:49 PM »
Iíd consider even just running thunders and just get the riptide pivot cupÖ.
seconded
did it back when i rode thunders
made everything 3x smoother
this with ace classic bushings was my jam
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

intendedreceivers

« Reply #10766 on: January 21, 2022, 07:24:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

They definitely turn, and theyíre dirt cheap compared to many of the more popular options. They also feel very tall if youíre used to something thatís mid-height (or lower). I have them on the 8.125Ē Anti-Hero Eagle with 55mm F4 O.G. Classics and itís the monster truck of my collection. I havenít tried them with softer bushings, though. Iím trying to break in the stock black bushings and I like how they skate for the most part, but I think these would be pretty lively with some cushy bushings.

big_kev_215

• Rep: 150
« Reply #10767 on: January 23, 2022, 12:47:03 PM »
Did Indy update the design of 215ís at some point in the past couple years?  I was looking at some for sale online and the ones that still have the iron cross logo on the baseplate (which I assume are older) have a hanger that tapers on the ends and the back of the hanger looks thinner.  The ones without the iron cross logo (which I assume are newer ones) do not have the taper at the edge of the hanger and appear to have a thicker hanger towards the center of the truck.  I dont remember seeing any type of advertised update but I may have just missed it.  Never skated 215ís before and I was curious if thereís any noticeable difference in performance. 

Plan9Customs

• Rep: 105
« Reply #10768 on: January 23, 2022, 01:53:46 PM »
Yeah they changed the 215s to stage 11 geo a year or so ago. Running a set on my 10.25 now.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10769 on: January 23, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »
Did Indy update the design of 215ís at some point in the past couple years?  I was looking at some for sale online and the ones that still have the iron cross logo on the baseplate (which I assume are older) have a hanger that tapers on the ends and the back of the hanger looks thinner.  The ones without the iron cross logo (which I assume are newer ones) do not have the taper at the edge of the hanger and appear to have a thicker hanger towards the center of the truck.  I dont remember seeing any type of advertised update but I may have just missed it.  Never skated 215ís before and I was curious if thereís any noticeable difference in performance.

I think they also changed the kingpin (now longer) to run more like the early stages, with taller bushings.

Someone on here was comparing them and their existing other Independent Stage 11 trucks were different in that regard.

The old old Indy trucks had such a tall kingpin, taller top and bottom bushings and virtually zero clearance.

I only have a set of the Stage 11 pre change, which are still the same as all the other Stage 11 trucks in baseplate, kingpin, bushings, etc so don't have any pics for comparison, but I can post a pic of the old trucks that look similar now.

This was the one I was looking for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125109054153