Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220900 times)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10800 on: February 09, 2022, 12:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Titanium axles technically aren't stronger than solid chromoly's. But people seem to have more problems with hollow or solid regs vs the titanium's, probably just a defect contact NHS.
[close]

If the axle actually is Ti, and it's free of risers and voids, it should theoretically be stronger than most all chromoly alloys unless they're annealed, no?

Honestly asking, I'm totally cool with being wrong. Thunder forged Hollows are only 8 grams heavier than the Thunder Ti's. I'd be saving myself a lot of money in the future.  ;D
[close]

No, you’re right. There are a thousand mitigating factors (mainly in the form of various alloys), but pound for pound titanium is stronger, more flexible and lighter than the applicable chromoly steel.

Thanks, @manysnakes you know your shit! I lived through the bottom bracket wars so I'm always second-guessing what I know to be true.  :-\
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #10801 on: February 09, 2022, 05:17:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Titanium axles technically aren't stronger than solid chromoly's. But people seem to have more problems with hollow or solid regs vs the titanium's, probably just a defect contact NHS.
[close]

If the axle actually is Ti, and it's free of risers and voids, it should theoretically be stronger than most all chromoly alloys unless they're annealed, no?

Honestly asking, I'm totally cool with being wrong. Thunder forged Hollows are only 8 grams heavier than the Thunder Ti's. I'd be saving myself a lot of money in the future.  ;D
[close]

No, you’re right. There are a thousand mitigating factors (mainly in the form of various alloys), but pound for pound titanium is stronger, more flexible and lighter than the applicable chromoly steel.
[close]

Thanks, @manysnakes you know your shit! I lived through the bottom bracket wars so I'm always second-guessing what I know to be true.  :-\

Are they over? Did English just win again?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #10802 on: February 09, 2022, 05:22:59 PM »

So how much do I have to pay for you to do that but down to 8.5? haha

Wonderful work, looks like art

That is so sick, looks like you did a really clean job on those man. Fuck, makes me wanna send you some 215's and pay you to hack them down to 159's ;D

Ha thanks guys! You know I would be willing to do get some and cut them down for some Pals. I'm not sure if 8.5's or 8.75's would be as easy as the 169's... there is that ridge that I stamped 169 on which would get in the way of the wheel if they were cut down to the 8.5 size at least. I'd probably have to machine away a little of that ridge to avoid that rubbing.

Not sure exactly how much I'd have to charge. But my local does have some 215's so I could for sure do it.

Nicely done. I've seen this done a few times, but it's always complete hack jobs involving pipecutters or some other janky tool. I assume you machined these?

Yeah! I don't have a metal lathe, but I do have a realllly solid 1950's era drill press. I chucked the axle up, run the drill pressed, and used a metal saw and saw-stopper I rigged up to cut through the aluminum without cutting into the axle.

Then after popping the excess aluminum ring off, I had to carefully file the splined area down to the same exact thickness as the normal axle. I do this while it is spinning on the drill-press to make sure the new area is perfectly circular, with a really mellow set of files. I take my time doing this, constantly checking with calipers.

Finally, I add extra threads to the axle with a tap and die kit, chop off the excess axle, and finish that cut edge to a clean slight taper just like factory truck ends are.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #10803 on: February 09, 2022, 05:45:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Expand Quote
So how much do I have to pay for you to do that but down to 8.5? haha

Wonderful work, looks like art
[close]

Expand Quote
That is so sick, looks like you did a really clean job on those man. Fuck, makes me wanna send you some 215's and pay you to hack them down to 159's ;D
[close]

Ha thanks guys! You know I would be willing to do get some and cut them down for some Pals. I'm not sure if 8.5's or 8.75's would be as easy as the 169's... there is that ridge that I stamped 169 on which would get in the way of the wheel if they were cut down to the 8.5 size at least. I'd probably have to machine away a little of that ridge to avoid that rubbing.

Not sure exactly how much I'd have to charge. But my local does have some 215's so I could for sure do it.

Expand Quote
Nicely done. I've seen this done a few times, but it's always complete hack jobs involving pipecutters or some other janky tool. I assume you machined these?
[close]

Yeah! I don't have a metal lathe, but I do have a realllly solid 1950's era drill press. I chucked the axle up, run the drill pressed, and used a metal saw and saw-stopper I rigged up to cut through the aluminum without cutting into the axle.

Then after popping the excess aluminum ring off, I had to carefully file the splined area down to the same exact thickness as the normal axle. I do this while it is spinning on the drill-press to make sure the new area is perfectly circular, with a really mellow set of files. I take my time doing this, constantly checking with calipers.

Finally, I add extra threads to the axle with a tap and die kit, chop off the excess axle, and finish that cut edge to a clean slight taper just like factory truck ends are.

Those turned out great. I was going to do the same to shave 1/4” off one but when I chucked it up and hit the switch there was about 1/2” or more of wobble when it spun. Any wobble when you did yours?

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #10804 on: February 09, 2022, 05:54:14 PM »
Those turned out great. I was going to do the same to shave 1/4” off one but when I chucked it up and hit the switch there was about 1/2” or more of wobble when it spun. Any wobble when you did yours?

There was some slight wobble on the far end (most axles aren't 100% straight). But there was absolutely no wobble or chatter at the chuck (god bless mid-century USA-made drill presses), so I did all my cutting and surfacing at the top by the chuck
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #10805 on: February 09, 2022, 06:12:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There was some slight wobble on the far end (most axles aren't 100% straight). But there was absolutely no wobble or chatter at the chuck (god bless mid-century USA-made drill presses), so I did all my cutting and surfacing at the top by the chuck
Guess it was just that one then. Tried it the same way(chucked in and cut with a hack saw set on the table, then finished with a file). Worked good on an 80s hanger but there was only a small amount of play unlike the new 215. Thanks.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10806 on: February 09, 2022, 08:04:48 PM »

Today i broke my first axle ever.. it's a pretty new Indy 144 Ti..i'm 78 Kg, broke them on a flatground Kickflip..
and now, i don't trust them anymore. Thinking about changing both hangers to hollow ones i have laying arround.
Are titanium axles more sensitive than regular ones ? Anyone has experienced something simular ?
I'm so pissed right now.

Never seen exactly that before, but I have definitely seen all sorts of breaks and faults.

The best thing to do is take them back to the shop you bought them from, or at least contact them, if it was sent to you, as that is supposed to be the first point of call.

The hanger in the pic looks fairly new, which is always good - when they are down to the axle or similar, it is hard to justify any kind of warranty.

That sort of issue is definitely not "user error" but a manufacturing fault, so should be 100% covered under warranty.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10807 on: February 12, 2022, 07:24:37 AM »
I circumcised my top Indy aftermarket 90A bushings and cracked the front one. I got some Indy aftermarket 92A bushings thinking maybe I won’t smash em as fast. My trucks are mayyyybe a half turn past flush and I’m only 165lbs.

Anyways, I marked the nuts and put em in and they actually feel looser than the 90A. I had a set of the red 88 around so I did the same and those feel harder. Super weird. Also noticed that the aftermarket bottom washer is too small and the bushing bulges over.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10808 on: February 13, 2022, 02:56:58 AM »
I circumcised my top Indy aftermarket 90A bushings and cracked the front one. I got some Indy aftermarket 92A bushings thinking maybe I won’t smash em as fast. My trucks are mayyyybe a half turn past flush and I’m only 165lbs.

Anyways, I marked the nuts and put em in and they actually feel looser than the 90A. I had a set of the red 88 around so I did the same and those feel harder. Super weird. Also noticed that the aftermarket bottom washer is too small and the bushing bulges over.

There have definitely been some common inconsistencies with those bushings, many people noted the red 88s definitely feel harder than the orange 90s or the blue 92s, also my blue 92s squashed significantly more than the other ones (with my usual comfortable wear in period).

Never had any split on me though and they have lasted for ever on all my boards.

I know others have had mixed reactions though.

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10809 on: February 13, 2022, 03:09:16 AM »
the red 88a are outrageously hard for what is called soft. i really don't understand it. do the people at independent not realize this?

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #10810 on: February 13, 2022, 04:33:19 AM »
the red 88a are outrageously hard for what is called soft. i really don't understand it. do the people at independent not realize this?
Either they are oblivious or they just don't care. The blue bushings are definitely softer then the reds. It's weird.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #10811 on: February 13, 2022, 05:52:54 AM »

I hate these bushings and tried an experiment a few days ago. Boiling them for only 1-3 minutes made them super soft, but as soon as they cooled down they were just as hard as before. Then I boiled them for at least 10 minutes and now they're permanently as squishy soft as the 78a bushings. They don't even get hard when it's freezing outside. So there might be a specific boiling time that makes them perfect.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10812 on: February 13, 2022, 07:22:12 AM »
Huh, well that’s funky. My main goal is to prevent continuing to crack my front top bushings so I thought harder might be the way and it sounds like I thus need reds instead.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10813 on: February 13, 2022, 04:37:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hate these bushings and tried an experiment a few days ago. Boiling them for only 1-3 minutes made them super soft, but as soon as they cooled down they were just as hard as before. Then I boiled them for at least 10 minutes and now they're permanently as squishy soft as the 78a bushings. They don't even get hard when it's freezing outside. So there might be a specific boiling time that makes them perfect.

Never heard of that before, but if it works, then at least it is an option.

I know people have just single boiled them, eg dropped them in the kettle and put it on, but haven't heard of consistently boiling them for that long.

Huh, well that’s funky. My main goal is to prevent continuing to crack my front top bushings so I thought harder might be the way and it sounds like I thus need reds instead.

Got a pic?

I always like to see pics, but that is just me.

If they are just flaking away a bit on the outside, that is usual and nothing to worry about.  If they are actually cracking right through, then that is more a faulty product and warranty issue.  I had some returned with successful warranty when the person was adament they had a fault.  Most of the time people just say it was only a few dollars and don't bother though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10814 on: February 13, 2022, 08:36:57 PM »
It basically looks like the washer is digging in and shaving off the tip of the top bushing and then it did it so much it weakened the side of it and it cracked. I was out skating so it kept digging into the crack and started crumbling.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #10815 on: February 14, 2022, 12:31:25 PM »
Bought some Indy 88a conical bushings to revive/sell an old set of 149s, testing them out they feel terrible like they dont turn anywhere near how I remember Indys turning. Have I just been spoiled by Ace/Lurpiv?

They feel like they would work better in Thunders, just wondering if anyone has tried that and if it works.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10816 on: February 14, 2022, 12:57:07 PM »
Bought some Indy 88a conical bushings to revive/sell an old set of 149s, testing them out they feel terrible like they dont turn anywhere near how I remember Indys turning. Have I just been spoiled by Ace/Lurpiv?

They feel like they would work better in Thunders, just wondering if anyone has tried that and if it works.

The red, "soft", 88a Indy bushings are universally acknowledged to be a complete pile of shit. The standard orange medium bushings are noticeably softer.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #10817 on: February 14, 2022, 05:11:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The red, "soft", 88a Indy bushings are universally acknowledged to be a complete pile of shit. The standard orange medium bushings are noticeably softer.

well they certainly feel like a pile of shit

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #10818 on: February 15, 2022, 09:40:15 AM »
I went through a ton of bushing madness on my indys and eventually came all the way back around to stock indy orange bushings. I'm 6'4", 195 pounds and like my trucks medium-loose, I want them to have a nice carve but be stable when setting up for tricks. I'm definitely heavier than a lot of people, so figured I needed harder bushings. I tried:

-Bones Hard - Way too hard, didn't ride for longer than a couple sessions
-DohDohs Red - Felt really good, actually ran these for a while until the top bushing completely exploded. Even rotated the top bushing a couple of times to keep them going
-Indy Black 94a hard standard cylinder: again, felt pretty good until the top bushing exploded. I also ran the Black barrel bushing with an orange top bushing for a bit. Rode ok and looked halloween-y which was fun
Indy Blue 92a Medium Hard conical: Rode these the longest, they actually felt harder than the blacks after a while. As other people have pointed out, the Blue bushings definitely feel harder than some of the "softer" bushings. They're still in good shape after 6+ months of skating

I hit the axle on my Indy Forged Hollows so I moved them to my cruiser and I got a set of Indy Ti's for christmas. The secret for me was committing to breaking in the stock bushings properly. I've always been too impatient. My process was:

-Installed the trucks and didn't touch the kingpin bolt, left it stock.
-I skated the trucks like that for 2 weeks, maybe 5-6 sessions where I specifically rode my board forward and backwards, and nothing too intense. Carves, basic mini ramp runs, frontside and backside 50-50s.
-Towards the end of the break in session, I started throwing in some frontside and backside slappies, both forward and backwards.

After that, I tightened the kingpin nut ~1/2 a turn and found my ideal tightness pretty quickly. I've been running these trucks about 6 weeks now and they feel perfect. My board does have a slight turn still, but nothing extreme where it messes with me. I did notice a little crack on one of the upper bushings were the washer is hitting it on deep turns, but hopefully they hold up.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10819 on: February 15, 2022, 09:46:57 AM »
Every aftermarket Indy bushing seems to suck. I feel like they're designed around the orange medium bushings and that's the way that they skate best.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #10820 on: February 15, 2022, 02:15:27 PM »
Yeah I never tried the red 88a Indy aftermarkets but I've tried all the others and they don't rebound very well, just overall a very "meh" bushing choice for me. Everyone hypes up Ace bushings and it's true, they're lively the whole way through. Thunder and the DLX bait n tackle aftermarkets are better than the Indy's too, imo.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #10821 on: February 15, 2022, 03:21:39 PM »
Can't speak for anyone else but the indy blues have always treated me well. Had a set in my ventures (just the top bushing) for a while and lasted wayyyy longer than stock venture bushings.

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #10822 on: February 15, 2022, 03:52:20 PM »
Can't speak for anyone else but the indy blues have always treated me well. Had a set in my ventures (just the top bushing) for a while and lasted wayyyy longer than stock venture bushings.
I've never had a problem with the blue bushings either. They seem to rebound back to center amazingly and they are stable yet they turn great. Probably my favorite bushings.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #10823 on: February 16, 2022, 10:54:10 AM »
For yall info^

Im currently running 78a indy white bottom bushing + bottom washer + top bushing (no top washer) on venture for the winter. It turns squishy and only really freezes up at or around freezing, whereas the indy white bushing bottom + purple top with washers combo seems to work way better for warmer weather.

Id say the turn is really improved but yeah much happier I chose these over the red ones I was originally gonna buy. Curious about these blue bushings now hearing that they feel like a true in-between of the 78a aftermarket and the 90a aftermarket, could be a cool option for ventures.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10824 on: February 16, 2022, 11:19:28 AM »
Yeah I never tried the red 88a Indy aftermarkets but I've tried all the others and they don't rebound very well, just overall a very "meh" bushing choice for me. Everyone hypes up Ace bushings and it's true, they're lively the whole way through. Thunder and the DLX bait n tackle aftermarkets are better than the Indy's too, imo.

Skating some leftover Ace Classics bushings in my
Indy 149s now and they’re a great addition. I don’t know if I’d run out and buy them, but if you’re through a set of Ace and have some bushings left over, give it a try. Better or worse is subjective, but they’re noticeably different in a pleasant way.

Justrollingthru

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10825 on: February 16, 2022, 03:02:20 PM »
Setting up a board for the first time in a couple years tomorrow. Got it mostly figured out except trucks.

Torn between Indy mids and ventures cause that's what I've always ridden mostly.

Board is 8.25 x 31.5 w/ 14.25 wb

I skate all terrain.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10826 on: February 16, 2022, 03:30:21 PM »
Thunder might be a nice compromise

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10827 on: February 16, 2022, 04:58:40 PM »
Setting up a board for the first time in a couple years tomorrow. Got it mostly figured out except trucks.

Torn between Indy mids and ventures cause that's what I've always ridden mostly.

Board is 8.25 x 31.5 w/ 14.25 wb

I skate all terrain.

Not to say don't get the Indy mids, but that inverted kingpin and other known issues make those trucks second to standard Ventures in almost every situation, and that is coming from me, a shop guy who prefers Indy over everything else for my own setups, even though I have some of almost everything still set up on boards that I have as spares or for others to skate at the indoor park - try before you buy type of deal.

Indy standards, or probably more so the hollow forged option would be better than Indy mids and more comparable to Venture trucks too, with so many people I know trying the Indy mids and going back to whatever they were on before as they just didn't like them as much, or at all.

Of course the decision is yours, but do your research and compare things like wheel size, board and wheelbase length, among others if you are really interested, otherwise get something that makes you happy and go from there.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #10828 on: February 16, 2022, 05:50:58 PM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10829 on: February 16, 2022, 08:03:37 PM »
What known issues are there with Mids? I’ve only heard the kingpin thing from you and my set and my friend’s sets have been great.