Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1229245 times)

sadnocomply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7470 on: January 14, 2020, 09:08:24 AM »
hey bois so i have a set of china titanium 144 indys still in the plastic, wondering if i should keep them or return them back to skatewarehouse. I have like 3 sets of trucks before I would have even busted these out haha it was an impulsive decision but my local sells them for $80 a pair and online I got them for $61 at skatewarehouse. It really was a no brainer, but I think I’m a venture guy now. Bobby’s part is the fuel to my fire in the morning for 8 months straight & prod and pj were some of my goats when I was little :)

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7471 on: January 14, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »
hey bois so i have a set of china titanium 144 indys still in the plastic, wondering if i should keep them or return them back to skatewarehouse. I have like 3 sets of trucks before I would have even busted these out haha it was an impulsive decision but my local sells them for $80 a pair and online I got them for $61 at skatewarehouse. It really was a no brainer, but I think I’m a venture guy now. Bobby’s part is the fuel to my fire in the morning for 8 months straight & prod and pj were some of my goats when I was little :)
marketing

sadnocomply

• Rep: 132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7472 on: January 14, 2020, 09:29:04 AM »
the best marketing :)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7473 on: January 14, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »
the best marketing :)

Bobby's part literally stoked the Venture fire.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7474 on: January 14, 2020, 11:34:02 AM »
Is there a Thunder shortage no one is talking about? Did they do a 'shop-run that depleted inventory online or something? Very little in the way of 147s/148s out there compared to the normal, hollow this, hollow that, ti, teams, etc. Trying to track down some 147 TIs lights and nothing...

Even the 149 selection seems a bit low...maybe Venture took over the foundry for a bit with Indy going to China, then boosted Venture? 161s taking up all the metals? :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:56:01 PM by Xen »

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #7475 on: January 14, 2020, 02:43:06 PM »
Is there a Thunder shortage no one is talking about? Did they do a 'shop-run that depleted inventory online or something? Very little in the way of 147s/148s out there compared to the normal, hollow this, hollow that, ti, teames, etc. Trying to track down some 147 TIs lights and nothing...

Even the 149 selection seems a bit low...maybe Venture took over the foundry for a bit with Indy going to China, the boosted Venture? 161s taking up all the metals? :P

I've always thought Deluxe ran things pretty lean in general, but you must be onto something because the biggest online shops are often out of the exact trucks I go shopping for.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7476 on: January 14, 2020, 02:46:42 PM »
Speaking of 161s, I'm yet to read a comprehensive review on here... anyone given these things a solid seeing to yet?

Skatansfinest666

• Rep: 0
  • Everything skateboarding 🛹 • Avid THC enthusiast
« Reply #7477 on: January 14, 2020, 04:08:03 PM »
Im curious about how you guys set your trucks up, special methods, preferences and all that nerdy stuff.

Here's mine:
Thunder 147's riding 8.1-825 and 54 wheels
-replacement 100a Thunder bushings
-Bottom washers left out
-Front truck Flush( edit:perhaps the smallest tad under now) with some wobble
-Back truck 1-2 threads showing edit: correction, back truck is now barely over flush, loosened it when It got colder
-risers

Seriously can't complain about this set-up in anyway, for me its perfect, loose up front for quick turns and tighter in back stabilises on landings and at high speeds. The hard bushing and loose front works really well for me, best of both worlds.

So quick question...do ventures stretch the wheelbase further or shorter than thunders?
D€€P_FR¿€D™️

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #7478 on: January 14, 2020, 04:08:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Im curious about how you guys set your trucks up, special methods, preferences and all that nerdy stuff.

Here's mine:
Thunder 147's riding 8.1-825 and 54 wheels
-replacement 100a Thunder bushings
-Bottom washers left out
-Front truck Flush( edit:perhaps the smallest tad under now) with some wobble
-Back truck 1-2 threads showing edit: correction, back truck is now barely over flush, loosened it when It got colder
-risers

Seriously can't complain about this set-up in anyway, for me its perfect, loose up front for quick turns and tighter in back stabilises on landings and at high speeds. The hard bushing and loose front works really well for me, best of both worlds.
[close]

So quick question...do ventures stretch the wheelbase further or shorter than thunders?

further

Diocletian

« Reply #7479 on: January 14, 2020, 04:33:52 PM »
Speaking of 161s, I'm yet to read a comprehensive review on here... anyone given these things a solid seeing to yet?

I skated them for a month or so. It’s the Thunder experience that I was reminded of and I crossed them off my list. Quick turn at first and then not much after that. Can kinda feel carvy on flat but I’d still get bad wheelbite even with the 1/8” Thunder risers. I even had some aftermarket Venom conical shaped bushings that were harder than stock, like 94a with Bones flat washers.

At the indoor bowl they just didn’t perform well. Having to lift up my front truck frontside because they don’t have a geo/WB that allows you to keep all four wheels down and carve super deep. I guess they can work fine for low impact skaters who just cruise around and do slappies, but at such a wide size you’re better off with Indy if you want a more versatile truck.

I can see the appeal of Thunders for the tech/ledge/street skater because they are “sporty” for lack of a better term at how they perform but when it comes to transition/bowls they don’t perform at the level of Indy/Ace/Theeve.

BMCsteve

« Reply #7480 on: January 14, 2020, 06:45:23 PM »
Is there a Thunder shortage no one is talking about? Did they do a 'shop-run that depleted inventory online or something? Very little in the way of 147s/148s out there compared to the normal, hollow this, hollow that, ti, teames, etc. Trying to track down some 147 TIs lights and nothing...

Even the 149 selection seems a bit low...maybe Venture took over the foundry for a bit with Indy going to China, the boosted Venture? 161s taking up all the metals? :P

149 polished titaniums are impossible to find

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7481 on: January 14, 2020, 07:38:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skated them for a month or so. It’s the Thunder experience that I was reminded of and I crossed them off my list. Quick turn at first and then not much after that. Can kinda feel carvy on flat but I’d still get bad wheelbite even with the 1/8” Thunder risers. I even had some aftermarket Venom conical shaped bushings that were harder than stock, like 94a with Bones flat washers.

At the indoor bowl they just didn’t perform well. Having to lift up my front truck frontside because they don’t have a geo/WB that allows you to keep all four wheels down and carve super deep. I guess they can work fine for low impact skaters who just cruise around and do slappies, but at such a wide size you’re better off with Indy if you want a more versatile truck.

I can see the appeal of Thunders for the tech/ledge/street skater because they are “sporty” for lack of a better term at how they perform but when it comes to transition/bowls they don’t perform at the level of Indy/Ace/Theeve.

Yeah, I read your initial thoughts when you first posted  them. Was hoping some others had additional feedback. I'm in the camp that feels Thunders can be great in transition. Never had a problem carving both ways on 151s but I ride 90a bushings and keep them loose.

Diocletian

« Reply #7482 on: January 14, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »
It sounds like you already know Thunders and like them? Grab some 161’s then, no need to wait for more reviews. Turn shouldn’t be much different than your 151’s, just more truck to grind.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7483 on: January 14, 2020, 08:01:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

149 polished titaniums are impossible to find

SoCal seems to have the most Thunders of all the online shops...still odd that just about everyone is out of 147s.

Set of 149 Ti Polished Teams:
https://socalskateshop.com/Thunder-149-HI-Team-Polished-Titanium-Lights-Trucks.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:04:49 PM by Xen »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7484 on: January 14, 2020, 08:04:36 PM »
I should. I was just hoping for some convincing. They are reportedly a little higher. I was curious if that would impact the turn... While my local was waiting to get 161s I got inpatient and copped some 151s instead. I'm not sure Greta would allow me another new set of trucks just yet.

Diocletian

« Reply #7485 on: January 14, 2020, 08:21:10 PM »
161’s gotta be heavier it only makes sense. You should just get some if you can afford it, that’s the only way you’re going to sleep better. It’s how the madness works. Making you toss and turn wondering how that width and weight difference will make or break your session...

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7486 on: January 14, 2020, 09:48:21 PM »
But can the planet afford it?

My madness aint as mad as Greta. I'm good for now.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7487 on: January 14, 2020, 10:55:05 PM »
gonna try thunder hangers on venture cast baseplates. dont know why they havent fixed the length of the stock baseplates yet, such an easy fix :-\
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

baustin

« Reply #7488 on: January 15, 2020, 05:56:21 AM »
gonna try thunder hangers on venture cast baseplates. dont know why they havent fixed the length of the stock baseplates yet, such an easy fix :-\

Mixing baseplates and hangars for any reason other than making a board for a kid or it's all you got... you're conjuring up bad energy here bud just wax the ledge more

anon

« Reply #7489 on: January 15, 2020, 07:10:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mixing baseplates and hangars for any reason other than making a board for a kid or it's all you got... you're conjuring up bad energy here bud just wax the ledge more
or chuck your thunders in the bin 8)

baustin

« Reply #7490 on: January 15, 2020, 08:44:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
or chuck your thunders in the bin 8)

OR watch some Suciu, Ishod, Shane, or Gillette parts, to be instantly back on the KNOW CONTROL tip

Lord Quas

• Rep: 18
  • enter the liquid realm
« Reply #7491 on: January 15, 2020, 09:26:23 AM »
gonna be pullin' up on a Anti Hero Blue Meanie shape, 8.75x82.55 14.75WB. First, what fuckin' trucks do i get for this behemoth, never skated anything this big - i prefer Ace 44s as i float between 8.25/8.3.

Also, what brand of truck would be ideal to "shorten" the wheelbase? from what i understand (i'm a dumbass though) the geometry of some trucks can cause the effective wheelbase of some boards to shrink a bit, and im worried 14.75 might be too manly for me, even as a 6'3'' 200lbs dude.

Quote from: GAY
I've never broken a board and it's a bigger source of shame for me and my family than my homosexuality.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #7492 on: January 15, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »
gonna be pullin' up on a Anti Hero Blue Meanie shape, 8.75x82.55 14.75WB. First, what fuckin' trucks do i get for this behemoth, never skated anything this big - i prefer Ace 44s as i float between 8.25/8.3.

Also, what brand of truck would be ideal to "shorten" the wheelbase? from what i understand (i'm a dumbass though) the geometry of some trucks can cause the effective wheelbase of some boards to shrink a bit, and im worried 14.75 might be too manly for me, even as a 6'3'' 200lbs dude.

I had that deck for a while and loved it.  I had it built with Indy 159s and that was the correct width for it - BUT - Indys have a little longer effective wheelbase than Ace.  Ace is coming out with an 8.75 truck this spring, but for now it may be better to run the current 55s on it.   It may hotrod a little, but that's your call as to whether you would prefer hotrod or a little longer wheelbase.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7493 on: January 15, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »

Ace 55s. My friend has that board with those trucks. Works real nice.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7494 on: January 15, 2020, 11:32:42 AM »
Bought a Blue Meanie and fresh Ace 55’s last wonder and I really loved that set-up.  Have since gone back down to smaller boards but I still rock my 55s on 8.5s.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7495 on: January 15, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »
Yeah, anything shapes 55's, 44's are more or less just 148's.....

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7496 on: January 15, 2020, 03:15:16 PM »

I kinda get why the baseplate is short. Whenever I was trying tailslides with ventures, the corner of the baseplate would catch onto the ledge and fuck me up. I don't have that same problem with thunders. You just gotta wax the side of the ledge more with thunders.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #7497 on: January 15, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I kinda get why the baseplate is short. Whenever I was trying tailslides with ventures, the corner of the baseplate would catch onto the ledge and fuck me up. I don't have that same problem with thunders. You just gotta wax the side of the ledge more with thunders.

I never noticed this, but after about a week your baseplate should be slightly rounded off with the corners not as pronounced and it should be okay.

baustin

« Reply #7498 on: January 16, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I never noticed this, but after about a week your baseplate should be slightly rounded off with the corners not as pronounced and it should be okay.

I've always thought the short Thunder baseplate to be an advantage on the chunkier or more rounded ledges. Lets you get more tail or nose up on the ledge and keeps from having the metal dig in and stop you from sliding. At skateparks though, it can be an annoyance without extra wax.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7499 on: January 16, 2020, 03:45:12 PM »
Switched to ventures from ace. Ive had like 3 real sessions and ive hit a few hills.

I made the right choice.
There just wasn't any 44s at my shop.
I got kicked down indys at home but im just not feeling them these days. The 139 i bought when i came back to the ledges are nice. Ill definitely ride them again soon but im really really feeling the ventures hi 5.6.

This is going to be my main truck i think. Maybe not in the bowl though.

The issue im having is the wheel base change is extreme. It looks like about half an inch. I feel it at the manny pad.

Who makes a 8.25 with a 14" wb

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)