Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 840732 times)

off

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
  • no gods no masters
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9120 on: September 21, 2020, 07:47:11 PM »
Ishod. Thunder.  Kingpin?

thats delicious

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #9121 on: September 21, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
thats delicious

Thunders been working on those for a while now, not sure when they're being officially released though.

anon

• Rep: 63
« Reply #9122 on: September 21, 2020, 09:58:04 PM »

that's great and all, but what about extending the baseplates?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 445
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9123 on: September 21, 2020, 11:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude is asking the real questions here!
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

Damoforce

• Rep: -1
« Reply #9124 on: September 22, 2020, 03:36:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's the truth, nosesliding on your wheels. Nobody likes that.

Slayer666

• Rep: -26
« Reply #9125 on: September 22, 2020, 03:41:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

That's the truth, nosesliding on your wheels. Nobody likes that.
i think itís fun

Diocletian

• Rep: 32
« Reply #9126 on: September 22, 2020, 07:53:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone try riptide pivots in thunders?  They have a generic one that they say can be used in indy/thunder/venture but they don't know this thread.   I think Ben d tried it and it worked ok....

With the hardgoods shortage, I'm thinking of an overhaul where I swap hangers.  I usually would never do that but, I guess I might have to squeeze out the life of a set of trucks. 
[close]

I've used the 'indy' riptides in everything: Thudner, indy, ace, theeve, tensors, ventures, they work fine, they're flexible and confirm (besides how different are the pivots anyway really).

Only the ACE riptides seem to be thicker.

I've not used any other riptides in other trucks so I don't know how easy it is to get them to fit, but the set of Ace's I have now (stage 2's) are insanely stubborn compared to other Ace's I've had previously. They wouldn't fit the Ace Riptides no matter how hard I tried. They even sent me a warranty set of Riptide's in case it was on them. Just the other day I tried again and one set would work and another would just slip right off the pivot nub. I learned I have to smush them onto the nub really hard and then quickly jam it into the pivot hole of the baseplate and hurry up and screw down the nut, or else the hanger starts to raise up from the cup. It's a battle worth fighting, though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #9127 on: September 22, 2020, 09:37:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone try riptide pivots in thunders?  They have a generic one that they say can be used in indy/thunder/venture but they don't know this thread.   I think Ben d tried it and it worked ok....

With the hardgoods shortage, I'm thinking of an overhaul where I swap hangers.  I usually would never do that but, I guess I might have to squeeze out the life of a set of trucks. 
[close]

I've used the 'indy' riptides in everything: Thudner, indy, ace, theeve, tensors, ventures, they work fine, they're flexible and confirm (besides how different are the pivots anyway really).

[close]

I've not used any other riptides in other trucks so I don't know how easy it is to get them to fit, but the set of Ace's I have now (stage 2's) are insanely stubborn compared to other Ace's I've had previously. They wouldn't fit the Ace Riptides no matter how hard I tried. They even sent me a warranty set of Riptide's in case it was on them. Just the other day I tried again and one set would work and another would just slip right off the pivot nub. I learned I have to smush them onto the nub really hard and then quickly jam it into the pivot hole of the baseplate and hurry up and screw down the nut, or else the hanger starts to raise up from the cup. It's a battle worth fighting, though.

You can fight this a bit by sticking a needled through the cup (it's the same reason why their new cups ship with a hole, to release the trapped air as you push them in).

Diocletian

• Rep: 32
« Reply #9128 on: September 22, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You can fight this a bit by sticking a needled through the cup (it's the same reason why their new cups ship with a hole, to release the trapped air as you push them in).

This was happening even WITH the new cups with the hole lol

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #9129 on: September 22, 2020, 11:31:21 AM »
just put mine in my aces.  won't be able to skate for a bit due to weather, but they feel a lot less squirrely standing on my board in my house.  i can't believe i've become a "truck set ups thread" guy, but thanks for all the good input.

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -76
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9130 on: September 22, 2020, 08:48:37 PM »
My trucks feel all crunchy and shitty when I turn. I changed pivot cup and bushings and itís still happening. It feels like the pivot cup is in gravel. Other truck is fine- Indy 159
Wtf is wrong?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #9131 on: September 23, 2020, 10:38:11 AM »
My trucks feel all crunchy and shitty when I turn. I changed pivot cup and bushings and itís still happening. It feels like the pivot cup is in gravel. Other truck is fine- Indy 159
Wtf is wrong?
Loose kingpin?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mr. Stinky

• Rep: 58
« Reply #9132 on: September 23, 2020, 01:47:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Wtf is wrong?
[close]
Loose kingpin?

This sounds right. Dab of epoxy will set you right if that's the problem.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #9133 on: September 23, 2020, 02:39:34 PM »
So i’ve come to the realization I’m probably never going to size up from 8.25. Maybe occasionally trying an 8.38/8.125.  My question for you all is should i go with 149 or 148s? I mainly skate transition/mini ramp. Still beginner level for ledges and rails.

I love everything about my thunder 149s, but i’m wondering how much of a difference in flipability i would gain from sizing down. And also what id lose by sizing down in my transition skating. If anyone has some insight into what trucks they use for 8.25 that’d be appreciated

148/144s - I usually run 8.125, 8.25 and 8.3 and 148/144s are perfect and very flexible.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:44:05 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #9134 on: September 23, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »
I agree....an 8.125 feels like an 8 and an 8.38 feels like an 8.5. Both work well on these trucks. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #9135 on: September 23, 2020, 06:45:38 PM »
I agree....an 8.125 feels like an 8 and an 8.38 feels like an 8.5. Both work well on these trucks. 

True! It helps my mental game of bullshit my brains feeds me "8.0" is too narrow" or "8.5" is too big" ;)

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -76
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9136 on: September 23, 2020, 06:59:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wtf is wrong?
[close]
Loose kingpin?
[close]

This sounds right. Dab of epoxy will set you right if that's the problem.

Cool, Iíll try. Has to be the case. Come to think of it I have some stage vii with same problem, this could save the quiver.

kenjiro

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9137 on: September 23, 2020, 07:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
So iíve come to the realization Iím probably never going to size up from 8.25. Maybe occasionally trying an 8.38/8.125.  My question for you all is should i go with 149 or 148s? I mainly skate transition/mini ramp. Still beginner level for ledges and rails.

I love everything about my thunder 149s, but iím wondering how much of a difference in flipability i would gain from sizing down. And also what id lose by sizing down in my transition skating. If anyone has some insight into what trucks they use for 8.25 thatíd be appreciated
[close]

148/144s - I usually run 8.125, 8.25 and 8.3 and 148/144s are perfect and very flexible.

awesome. thanks for the advice! gonna have to try a set of 148s after i wear these 149s down

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 12
« Reply #9138 on: September 24, 2020, 10:43:25 AM »
Damn I just ordered Aces thinking I could just switch over my Indy riptides from the trucks I'm currently running - will they not fit at all or is the Ace specific riptide just somehow more dialed into the specific geometry of Aces or what?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #9139 on: September 24, 2020, 10:31:32 PM »
I'm incensed of the fact you guys think all pivots are equal.....and from a longboard company no less...

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #9140 on: September 26, 2020, 08:33:28 PM »
Can’t we all relate.

Swapping kingpins?

BL0B

• Rep: 177
« Reply #9141 on: September 26, 2020, 10:31:02 PM »
Canít we all relate.

Swapping kingpins?

looks like he's robbing bushing out of the new indy mids.

Illyboy

« Reply #9142 on: September 30, 2020, 06:15:19 AM »
Does anyone know what duro the green bushings are that come in Thunder lights II 148s? I wanna swap them for something less squishy but donít have anything to go by number wise.

identitycrisis2010

« Reply #9143 on: September 30, 2020, 06:51:56 AM »
all right question, so my favorite deck size/shape is 8.475 mellow concave baker,
iím older now so really iím mostly skating flat ground, and ledges, but iím trying to get onto rails, and my tranny skills go about as far as a mini ramp.

i need that feeling when your shit just feels molded to your feet. i once had thunders - idk what size - with bones hard bushings, and it was like heaven beneath my feet, but then i tried to duplicate and it was terrible, so i switched to indys, iíve had like 2 or 3 pairs and each time it feels like iím fighting with my trucks to do what i want, i skated in the rain and my trucks are done, iíve been skating trucks i donít like too long, i want that good feeling again. i know itís out there.
but now iím in heavy ocd mode.

so outside suggestions?

sorry that was long winded.

baustin

• Rep: 26
« Reply #9144 on: September 30, 2020, 07:04:01 AM »
Does anyone know what duro the green bushings are that come in Thunder lights II 148s? I wanna swap them for something less squishy but donít have anything to go by number wise.

Pretty sure every stock Thunder bushing is 90a regardless of color

Paperclip20

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9145 on: September 30, 2020, 07:29:13 AM »
all right question, so my favorite deck size/shape is 8.475 mellow concave baker,
iím older now so really iím mostly skating flat ground, and ledges, but iím trying to get onto rails, and my tranny skills go about as far as a mini ramp.

i need that feeling when your shit just feels molded to your feet. i once had thunders - idk what size - with bones hard bushings, and it was like heaven beneath my feet, but then i tried to duplicate and it was terrible, so i switched to indys, iíve had like 2 or 3 pairs and each time it feels like iím fighting with my trucks to do what i want, i skated in the rain and my trucks are done, iíve been skating trucks i donít like too long, i want that good feeling again. i know itís out there.

so outside suggestions?

That wasn't long winded don't worry man. I would just try to figure out what made the Thunders you liked feel good and go back to them. Switching to Thunder from Indy always feels odd for a little while.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #9146 on: September 30, 2020, 07:38:41 AM »

so outside suggestions?

Which generation Thunders? Pre-re-design or after?

identitycrisis2010

« Reply #9147 on: September 30, 2020, 08:13:18 AM »
Expand Quote

so outside suggestions?

[close]

Which generation Thunders? Pre-re-design or after?

this was probably like 2012ish, did not know they went through a redesign.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9148 on: September 30, 2020, 08:33:20 AM »

so outside suggestions?

Ever tried Ace? I've tried Thunder 149, Venture 5.8, Indy 149 (and now have 159s on my second setup, which I love) and Ace 44, and my 44's are by far my favorite trucks for 8.25-8.5 decks (I run 3 washers inside each wheel to make them more like a 149 size wise). If Ace comes up with 8.6-8.75 trucks or something, I'd buy those in a heartbeat and ditch my 159s for my "fun" setup (football shapes, egg shapes and other weird(er) shapes)

identitycrisis2010

« Reply #9149 on: September 30, 2020, 08:40:17 AM »
Expand Quote

so outside suggestions?

[close]

Ever tried Ace? I've tried Thunder 149, Venture 5.8, Indy 149 (and now have 159s on my second setup, which I love) and Ace 44, and my 44's are by far my favorite trucks for 8.25-8.5 decks (I run 3 washers inside each wheel to make them more like a 149 size wise). If Ace comes up with 8.6-8.75 trucks or something, I'd buy those in a heartbeat and ditch my 159s for my "fun" setup (football shapes, egg shapes and other weird(er) shapes)

i havenít tried them, but iíve heard a lot of good about them, iíll check out a shop here to see if they have them, i stopped in the shop closest to me yesterday and it was sad that all they carry now is indys, they said that they are the only trucks that sell.