Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220929 times)

Diocletian

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9120 on: October 01, 2020, 05:13:27 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve been skating Thunder Ti with the forged plates, which I understand are 50mm high. Right now I’ve got them on a Polar 8.3, which mostly feels great, but I do find that my flick is quite poor like I almost under rotate everything and often don’t pop kick flips. Ventures were slightly better for this but I don’t like the way they lock into almost anything.

What is likely causing this? Height or wheelbase? I have some Ace I can throw on but I don’t remember liking them as much.
[close]

I had to ditch my Thunder Hollow Lights after trying them on 3 decks (over maybe 9 months) because I couldn't time anything correctly. I went back to Ace and feel at home. I've decided that thunders aren't for me. I really like the turn of thunder because it's super responsive, but if I can't do anything else but turn, what's the point?

Thunders hang with Ace up until the final bottoming out whereas Ace's keep you carving. That's what got me off Thunders.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9121 on: October 01, 2020, 06:10:47 PM »
It's a 14.38WB and I'm fairly sure Polar have decently long kicks. Steepness feels on par with my DLX decks at least. I liked them with a Quasi 8.38 as well, which was mellower.

Got some risers and some other Thunders with cast plates (not team) I can throw on to test the theory out.

Slayer666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #9122 on: October 01, 2020, 06:16:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve been skating Thunder Ti with the forged plates, which I understand are 50mm high. Right now I’ve got them on a Polar 8.3, which mostly feels great, but I do find that my flick is quite poor like I almost under rotate everything and often don’t pop kick flips. Ventures were slightly better for this but I don’t like the way they lock into almost anything.

What is likely causing this? Height or wheelbase? I have some Ace I can throw on but I don’t remember liking them as much.
[close]

I had to ditch my Thunder Hollow Lights after trying them on 3 decks (over maybe 9 months) because I couldn't time anything correctly. I went back to Ace and feel at home. I've decided that thunders aren't for me. I really like the turn of thunder because it's super responsive, but if I can't do anything else but turn, what's the point?
[close]

Thunders hang with Ace up until the final bottoming out whereas Ace's keep you carving. That's what got me off Thunders.
thunder gang

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #9123 on: October 01, 2020, 08:32:42 PM »
Looking for a little advice - I just got Ace 44's after skating Thunders for about the last year - I always ran indy riptides in my thunders and definitely felt like it helped the turn and snapback a lot. Should I move those riptides from my thunders or run the Aces stock?

Also wondering about how Ace stock bushings work.. I used to run Ace aftermarkets when I was skatin Indys, and Krux before that, and I def liked those more than either of the stocks with them.

This truck madness is due to this thread btw, so thanks, and also fuck all of you.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #9124 on: October 02, 2020, 07:55:22 AM »
It's a 14.38WB and I'm fairly sure Polar have decently long kicks. Steepness feels on par with my DLX decks at least. I liked them with a Quasi 8.38 as well, which was mellower.

Got some risers and some other Thunders with cast plates (not team) I can throw on to test the theory out.

Yeah, I’d try that out. I keep cast and forged plates handy because sometimes I prefer one or the other depending on the rest of my setup. Recently I was on a standard 8.25 DLX with a 14.38” wb running my forged and it felt great to me, then I ended up with a 8.25 Primitive with a 14” wb and the forged made my pop feel anemic so I swapped to my cast and everything felt way more balanced right away.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #9125 on: October 02, 2020, 08:26:35 AM »
Looking for a little advice - I just got Ace 44's after skating Thunders for about the last year - I always ran indy riptides in my thunders and definitely felt like it helped the turn and snapback a lot. Should I move those riptides from my thunders or run the Aces stock?

Also wondering about how Ace stock bushings work.. I used to run Ace aftermarkets when I was skatin Indys, and Krux before that, and I def liked those more than either of the stocks with them.

This truck madness is due to this thread btw, so thanks, and also fuck all of you.

I personally rock all stock Aces, and I think they are amazing as is. But I've never been the kind of guy to swap parts in my trucks unless something breaks. Only thing I ever changed in my indys before getting on Ace was the pivot cups, but I only changed them because the stock ones had blown to pieces, and of course you'll see an improvement from blown out pivot cups to brand new ones...

My advice would be to try them out stock first, if you don't like them enough stock then maybe start swapping parts?

BTW, welcome to the Ace club  8)

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #9126 on: October 03, 2020, 05:06:47 PM »

The beauty of the Ace bushings is that the top is taller than most other brands, what that does is create more resistance throughout the whole turn. Combine that with a really soft bottom and you get a solid turn from top to bottom that still has kind of a soft feel.

Compare that to say Krux, which have a smaller top so you have a floppy lean at first then a really hard turn. Put the Ace bushing in Krux and it completely changes into a really good surfy truck with a very enjoyable turn, no more slop.

The old Ace bushings were too hard so the turn/feel suffered and in order to get them looser people liked Krux bushings because the top is shorter, they aren't actually that good (unless you like really hard bushings), hence why no one does that anymore.

(I also put an Ace bottom in my Thunders which gives a nice soft feeling turn but doesn't wheel bite as much.)

Long story short, stick with the stock bushings, but if you prefer them super loose try a shorter top bushing.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #9127 on: October 03, 2020, 07:51:35 PM »
What do people find the best bushing change for Indy's? My set came with Whites and they are way too soft. I like em hard. I usually ride Bones Hards in Thunders. They a-ok to transfer over?
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #9128 on: October 03, 2020, 08:43:23 PM »
What do people find the best bushing change for Indy's? My set came with Whites and they are way too soft. I like em hard. I usually ride Bones Hards in Thunders. They a-ok to transfer over?
I ride bones hard bushings in my indy 144s. They feel great. I weigh 180lbs so the stock were way too soft.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9129 on: October 03, 2020, 11:52:02 PM »
Anyone else skated newly produced Indys? I don't know if I'm imagining it but it feels like the aluminum is harder since they switched production to China. Doesn't have that usual softer grind feel of Indys.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #9130 on: October 04, 2020, 12:45:37 AM »
Idk how new mine are but bought them in like June/July. Grind feels about the same, maybe a little harder but my old ones were axled and I was coming off of everything else so its tough to say.

Gotta say those new bushings feel a lot softer though, didn’t have to shave these ones down they’re actually a little too mushy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9131 on: October 04, 2020, 08:12:03 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised.....hollows grind worse than regs no?  Because they are harder....I could see them changing the alloys...

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #9132 on: October 04, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
Yeah cast standard to Forged hollow there’s definitely a difference in grind. My forged hollows are pretty worn down so it’s not super noticeable but if you took both my setups and did a slappy back to back on each one you’d notice.

Also could just be how it feels under my feet since the forged hollows feel a lot different just cruising. Wasn’t stoked on the hollows.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #9133 on: October 04, 2020, 06:15:48 PM »
I'll comment on a couple of the last topics on here.

- About the Ace vs. Krux bushing thing:
I agree that the only bushings for an Ace truck, are Ace bushings. It's part of what makes the turn so great. They'd also be great for other trucks when you want that smooth turn with a little bit of resistance throughout. However, I still think Krux bushings are fantastic if you're looking for that more twitchy, rattly feel. I've used them in Indy's, and now they're in my Theeve's ('cause the bones obviously didn't last). Yeah, they're kinda firm and have a lot of rebound, but that's why they're great when you wanna really loosen that nut. The short top bushing helps with keeping them rattly, and the firmness gives you a little jolt of resistance before you wheelbite.

- What do people find the best bushing change for Indy's?
As mentioned above, I really enjoyed Krux in them, but I don't recommend them if you like cranking the nut down. I actually have a set of Doh-Doh's medium in my 144's now (yeah, they still make them), and they're nice if you want a bit more resistance.

- Anyone else skated newly produced Indys?
The grind seems identical to me, so I doubt they changed the alloy. The machining is a bit cleaner, but that's only esthetical. However, there's something seriously wrong with the pivot. It seems too thin or something, so it has way too much play in the pivot hole. I would go through pivot cups like crazy until I got riptides (no, it's not because of messing around with the geo). The riptides hold up, but the pivot is still way looser than I'd prefer. I'm not the only person who has experienced this specifically with the Chindy's, so I'm hesitant to get another pair, and it's the main reason I've started using other brands on my main setup.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9134 on: October 04, 2020, 08:36:10 PM »
You'll see on those mids....the hanger is actually beefier.....I don't understand why other than its for manufacturing reasons.....I always think forged baseplates look weird because they look tiny compared to the hanger....mids look like this...but the base plate is forged....mindy is a bit chunky up top...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9135 on: October 07, 2020, 04:20:59 PM »
You'll see on those mids....the hanger is actually beefier.....I don't understand why other than its for manufacturing reasons.....I always think forged baseplates look weird because they look tiny compared to the hanger....mids look like this...but the base plate is forged....mindy is a bit chunky up top...

Mid plates are cast.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #9136 on: October 09, 2020, 09:45:22 AM »
Anyone know if there are hollow 5.6 ventures out there? I'm not in immediate need but I think after my current set I would like to go a little lighter.

alcol

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9137 on: October 09, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
any updates on those new K5 krux?
I'm a be on here until niggas start posting about my celebrity-skateboarder lifestyle exploits ala Lil Wayne.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9138 on: October 09, 2020, 01:33:27 PM »
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 01:54:39 PM by Xen »

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #9139 on: October 10, 2020, 09:21:32 PM »
@Xen or anyone.. madness has got me today.
I switched from tensor ATG 5.75 Back to Indy forged hollows obviously weight difference is a fair bit
Im  thinking the titanium indys might be a nice in between?

Are the Indy titanium  worth the extra $$

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9140 on: October 10, 2020, 10:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mid plates are cast.

I know.....but they look like forged because the new hangers are beefier......

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9141 on: October 11, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »
I switched from tensor ATG 5.75 Back to Indy forged hollows obviously weight difference is a fair bit

If weight matters to you, always go with a TI option (tho on Thunders I feel it's waster as the hollow lites are great).

What are you trying to to achieve by going back to Indy? I recently did the opposite and went from the super heavy Mid-indy back to ATGs and while I miss the lower height of the Indy, I didn't miss it's weight...at all...and still prefer the ATG turn of Indy; TI or Hollow-forged indys (53.5mm) still seem to be the sweet spot, especially the TI forged.

Funny how everyone is waaaah trucks are too tall now after bitching about getting wheel bite for days so now we're seeing smaller wheels and lower trucks (indys at least, ACE and thunder been low...I wonder if their mindy is to chase ACE?) making a comeback...been seeing a huge influx of non-f4 49mm spit wheels around.

If I'm riding big wheels and want a light truck that turns: ATG
If I'm riding small wheels and want a light truck that turns: Thunder

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #9142 on: October 11, 2020, 05:40:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If weight matters to you, always go with a TI option (tho on Thunders I feel it's waster as the hollow lites are great).

What are you trying to to achieve by going back to Indy? I recently did the opposite and went from the super heavy Mid-indy back to ATGs and while I miss the lower height of the Indy, I didn't miss it's weight...at all...and still prefer the ATG turn of Indy; TI or Hollow-forged indys (53.5mm) still seem to be the sweet spot, especially the TI forged.

Funny how everyone is waaaah trucks are too tall now after bitching about getting wheel bite for days so now we're seeing smaller wheels and lower trucks (indys at least, ACE and thunder been low...I wonder if their mindy is to chase ACE?) making a comeback...been seeing a huge influx of non-f4 49mm spit wheels around.

If I'm riding big wheels and want a light truck that turns: ATG
If I'm riding small wheels and want a light truck that turns: Thunder
I've skated ATG's for about 6 months .
 I find flip tricks easier with forged indys and indys they just feel like home sweet home
(Look a lot better too. But whatever)

I think ATG's are really good I just prefer skating flatground with indys
wether its the weight or familiarity. 
But I'm surprised I actually get tired quicker skating 149 indys than ATG's..

Ti indys are about $140 Aussie.. not cheap
 Tbh I think I just want some to encourage my further spending this weekend

Thx

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9143 on: October 11, 2020, 06:35:48 PM »
I flip better on lower trucks, and prefer the center of gravity of them. The Indy mids are really nice but heavy AF...

Riding them with 51mm spit tabs and a really mellow kick plan b board...not what I'm used to at all (usually steep, 53mm and ATGs), quite the polar opposites.

These lower Indy really make me want to check out the next ACE rev...a lighter ACE/better QC would be on point.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9144 on: October 11, 2020, 06:49:00 PM »
I can't see Ace worrying about weight.....isn't it a deceptively low truck with a steep pop?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9145 on: October 11, 2020, 07:04:33 PM »
I can't see Ace worrying about weight.....isn't it a deceptively low truck with a steep pop?

Yeah, for a 52mm truck it doesn't act like it, that's part of the beauty of them (and Theeve, which are 52mm no matter what they say...side by side to my ACE and mindys they all line up.

I worry about weight =( tired old legs :P

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #9146 on: October 11, 2020, 10:15:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, for a 52mm truck it doesn't act like it, that's part of the beauty of them (and Theeve, which are 52mm no matter what they say...side by side to my ACE and mindys they all line up.

I worry about weight =( tired old legs :P

I did see somewhere that Indy is planning on releasing hollow and Ti mids next summer.

I had planned on getting mids when they came out, but picked up the Ti ones while waiting - and after about 5 sessions I massively sprained my foot. I’ve been out for 5 weeks and still have 1 to 3 to go.  Looks like i can wait until next summer. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9147 on: October 11, 2020, 10:37:12 PM »
Yeah, it's crossed my mind to just quit skating until they make a truck that's right for ME......

Get well soon....you can still obsesses over trucks in the meantime...

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9148 on: October 12, 2020, 09:21:05 AM »
Does indy still/did Indy ever sell replacement forged plates? I swear I remember seeing them but now I have no idea.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9149 on: October 12, 2020, 09:41:08 AM »
Does indy still/did Indy ever sell replacement forged plates? I swear I remember seeing them but now I have no idea.

I remember seeing them in the past as well. About a year ago I was looking for them online, but they seemed to disappear.