Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1226544 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

FrozenIndustries

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9451 on: December 02, 2020, 06:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
I dont know if this is the wrong board but I'll give it a try. Should I tighten my trucks to have more tension on no complys. I ride my trucks pretty loose on some soft indy bushings. I wonder because they have so much give that all tension is lost. I was think that tightening them would help. Is this just a technique thing ? Any help is appreciated.
[close]

One thing that helps me (that I read on here) is to imagine you are skating on a board that is only as wide as your truck baseplates when doing some tricks. The looser I ride my trucks, the narrower the stable point of my board feels, so balancing on an 8.5 might feel more like balancing on the 2’ strip in the center whereas tighter trucks might feel more like balancing on a 4-6’ strip in the center.

Obviously there are tricks requiring tension being applied diagonally across the board, but the narrow center strip idea helps me a lot as a general rule of thumb that helps more often than not.

Hope that helps!

Started doing this (I think assflea/banned brought it up first?) and it has been super helpful. With no complies specifically, make sure you've got enough pressure over your front foot (but not too much)...when I'm having a bad day and mine get all flappy thats usually the culprit.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #9452 on: December 02, 2020, 07:10:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I dont know if this is the wrong board but I'll give it a try. Should I tighten my trucks to have more tension on no complys. I ride my trucks pretty loose on some soft indy bushings. I wonder because they have so much give that all tension is lost. I was think that tightening them would help. Is this just a technique thing ? Any help is appreciated.
[close]

One thing that helps me (that I read on here) is to imagine you are skating on a board that is only as wide as your truck baseplates when doing some tricks. The looser I ride my trucks, the narrower the stable point of my board feels, so balancing on an 8.5 might feel more like balancing on the 2’ strip in the center whereas tighter trucks might feel more like balancing on a 4-6’ strip in the center.

Obviously there are tricks requiring tension being applied diagonally across the board, but the narrow center strip idea helps me a lot as a general rule of thumb that helps more often than not.

Hope that helps!
[close]

Started doing this (I think assflea/banned brought it up first?) and it has been super helpful. With no complies specifically, make sure you've got enough pressure over your front foot (but not too much)...when I'm having a bad day and mine get all flappy thats usually the culprit.

More pressure over the front foot for sure, that’s where the pop, power comes from.

Banned is kind and helpful!

I have also seen/heard this talk, re diagonal tension, briefly in something to do with Jeremy Wray, and more specifically in a video about Matt Rodriguez’s loose trucks.

For me there is a point where the trucks being loose becomes more of a distraction, and less about function. Loose trucks can feel good, certainly, but I start to lose pop, quickly. Tight trucks can also turn better than people might realize. All subjective and lots of rambling here

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9453 on: December 02, 2020, 10:47:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hope that helps!
[close]

[close]

More pressure over the front foot for sure, that’s where the pop, power comes from.

I have also seen/heard this talk, re diagonal tension, briefly in something to do with Jeremy Wray, and more specifically in a video about Matt Rodriguez’s loose trucks.

For me there is a point where the trucks being loose becomes more of a distraction, and less about function. Loose trucks can feel good, certainly, but I start to lose pop, quickly. Tight trucks can also turn better than people might realize. All subjective and lots of rambling here

Interesting, do you know which Matt Rodriguez video it was in? I love needing out about technical stuff like this.

I agree, I go through phases where I want my trucks to be wobbly loose, and I love pushing around and carving on tricks like that but I’m not skillful to maintain any of my tricks and still be comfortable like that, so I usually tighten them up where they are still loose, but stable enough for me to set up on tricks.

The thing I like about wobbly loose is that it feels like I’m riding something that’s a little uncontrollable, and unpredictable like I’m skating on an animal or something haha. But then I can’t trust even basic shit like ollies and I’ve slammed pretty bad skating in traffic from having inconsistent control.

Diocletian

« Reply #9454 on: December 02, 2020, 02:23:03 PM »
cheaper alternatives to these motherfuckers?
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/64181/array-machined-flat-washers

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54091/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washer-cone-sleeved-washer-combo-pack-four-pack

I'm using these and they turn any bushing that isn't Bones into Bones but ones that will never break. The snap back to center feels amazing. Worth every penny.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9455 on: December 02, 2020, 02:34:36 PM »
don't forget Tensor started selling their interlocking bushings and are amazing. 90a. I've used with the standard ATG washers and have been fine.

INTERLOCKING BUSHINGS - Better control
The unique shape of these bushing interlocks with the truck hanger. Keeping the bushing perfectly centered ensure that the bushing responds evenly
https://tgmskateboards.com/tensor-truck-bushings-interlock-90a-white-for-2-trucks/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhpvkswAY27BjnHaTJOxasR5bMg2JajIDPPzvRPieehdMXFOR7lIuSssaAuh5EALw_wcB

Sandygoat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #9456 on: December 02, 2020, 06:35:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hope that helps!
[close]

[close]

I used to ride my bushings in the middle but they start to shred really quickly. I tightened them yesterday so I'll give it another try. I knew they were too loose when I tried to throw my board but i stumbled off because the bushing were too tight.

Diocletian

« Reply #9457 on: December 02, 2020, 06:44:45 PM »
don't forget Tensor started selling their interlocking bushings and are amazing. 90a. I've used with the standard ATG washers and have been fine.

The unique shape of these bushing interlocks with the truck hanger. Keeping the bushing perfectly centered ensure that the bushing responds evenly
https://tgmskateboards.com/tensor-truck-bushings-interlock-90a-white-for-2-trucks/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhpvkswAY27BjnHaTJOxasR5bMg2JajIDPPzvRPieehdMXFOR7lIuSssaAuh5EALw_wcB

I wonder if the bottom bushing height is Ace compatible?

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #9458 on: December 02, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »
I used to ride my bushings in the middle but they start to shred really quickly. I tightened them yesterday so I'll give it another try. I knew they were too loose when I tried to throw my board but i stumbled off because the bushing were too tight.

This man's on another level.

Sandygoat

• Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #9459 on: December 02, 2020, 06:57:42 PM »
sorry i wasn't paying attention when I was writing it  :P

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #9460 on: December 02, 2020, 07:01:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wonder if the bottom bushing height is Ace compatible?

Nope, the bottom is shorter.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9461 on: December 02, 2020, 08:12:52 PM »
Another thing to be aware of with the tensor bushings is the top interlocking portion's depth into the yoke, some trucks (Thunder) don't have a thick enough yoke to house the interlocking portion (I've tried), you'd just end up mashing down/compressing it against the bottom bushing.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9462 on: December 04, 2020, 07:07:22 AM »
anyone mad enough to run two different weighted trucks of the same size?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9463 on: December 04, 2020, 07:12:22 AM »
Another thing to be aware of with the tensor bushings is the top interlocking portion's depth into the yoke, some trucks (Thunder) don't have a thick enough yoke to house the interlocking portion (I've tried), you'd just end up mashing down/compressing it against the bottom bushing.
Who is going to be the first to take a file and hand shape their hole on the hanger for this?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9464 on: December 04, 2020, 11:17:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone bring me out of truck psychosis here. Lots of being cooped up inside and thinking about gear. I've never tried Ventures and I want to try the cast ones that don't extend the wheelbase any longer than they already are. When I dial them in with the right bushings am I still going to hate these trucks since I'm an Ace head?
[close]

I don't want to fuel the madness but I go back and forth between venture and ace a lot. I love the turn and grind on the aces but the pop on ventures is just effortless and with a harder bushing and flat washer the turn is pretty excellent.

Regarding what you said about WB, even the cast stretch it a lot compared to ace. I have a pop with a 14.25" WB and venture a shaped board with a 14.8" WB with aces. The pop with ventures ends up with like a 1/8" longer WB. You probably are accounting for that already but I wanted to put it out there because I thought it was pretty wild.

Edit: only chiming in on this because I hate the madness this is causing me and don't want to feel alone in it.
[close]

Thanks man. I think the stability and kingpin clearance are the main factors in me wanting to try them. Ace are more stable than Indy but sometimes I still find them feeling a bit squirrely under my feet depending on what I'm doing. If Ventures can still carve a bowl and allow me to slappy I'm willing to give them a shot.
[close]

Can't speak for bowls but I would probably be considered a slappy skater and I love them. They definitely need the flat top washer to make them surfy enough, though. I'm like 205 so I also run a harder bushing in mine (94-96) to keep the turn nice and controlled.
[close]

Yeah, no matter what truck I ALWAYS ditch the top washer and if I really need one, I use the Bones flat washer. I saw this vid of this gentleman explaining his experience with slappies using Ventures, and it has me second guessing now. What are your thoughts?
[close]

They definitely grind down faster than Indy due to the hanger being less meaty but not as fast as Ace from my experience. The aluminum feels exactly like Indy to me.

I've had no issues with durability or QC, though, no bent axles or anything like that. I also don't skate the stock bushings just because 90a is too soft for me but I know a lot of people mention the stocks blowing out. As far as what he was saying about the smiths...I don't do a lot of them so I've never had that issue but I assume it's possible. That being said it seems a little wild to me due to the kingpin clearance in comparison to Ace or even Indy.
[close]

Thanks a lot for all your feedback man. I weigh about the same as you, so I would need to get some proper aftermarket bushings in these. I can't decide between the 5.6's, 5.8's or the 6.1's.

@Diocletian bumping this to let you know that after a few weeks I've come crawling back to Ace. I love how the Ventures skate, I just love Ace more.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9465 on: December 04, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »
Anybody tried the new krux k5 trucks yet

Diocletian

« Reply #9466 on: December 04, 2020, 07:45:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone bring me out of truck psychosis here. Lots of being cooped up inside and thinking about gear. I've never tried Ventures and I want to try the cast ones that don't extend the wheelbase any longer than they already are. When I dial them in with the right bushings am I still going to hate these trucks since I'm an Ace head?
[close]

I don't want to fuel the madness but I go back and forth between venture and ace a lot. I love the turn and grind on the aces but the pop on ventures is just effortless and with a harder bushing and flat washer the turn is pretty excellent.

Regarding what you said about WB, even the cast stretch it a lot compared to ace. I have a pop with a 14.25" WB and venture a shaped board with a 14.8" WB with aces. The pop with ventures ends up with like a 1/8" longer WB. You probably are accounting for that already but I wanted to put it out there because I thought it was pretty wild.

Edit: only chiming in on this because I hate the madness this is causing me and don't want to feel alone in it.
[close]

Thanks man. I think the stability and kingpin clearance are the main factors in me wanting to try them. Ace are more stable than Indy but sometimes I still find them feeling a bit squirrely under my feet depending on what I'm doing. If Ventures can still carve a bowl and allow me to slappy I'm willing to give them a shot.
[close]

Can't speak for bowls but I would probably be considered a slappy skater and I love them. They definitely need the flat top washer to make them surfy enough, though. I'm like 205 so I also run a harder bushing in mine (94-96) to keep the turn nice and controlled.
[close]

Yeah, no matter what truck I ALWAYS ditch the top washer and if I really need one, I use the Bones flat washer. I saw this vid of this gentleman explaining his experience with slappies using Ventures, and it has me second guessing now. What are your thoughts?
[close]

They definitely grind down faster than Indy due to the hanger being less meaty but not as fast as Ace from my experience. The aluminum feels exactly like Indy to me.

I've had no issues with durability or QC, though, no bent axles or anything like that. I also don't skate the stock bushings just because 90a is too soft for me but I know a lot of people mention the stocks blowing out. As far as what he was saying about the smiths...I don't do a lot of them so I've never had that issue but I assume it's possible. That being said it seems a little wild to me due to the kingpin clearance in comparison to Ace or even Indy.
[close]

Thanks a lot for all your feedback man. I weigh about the same as you, so I would need to get some proper aftermarket bushings in these. I can't decide between the 5.6's, 5.8's or the 6.1's.
[close]

@Diocletian bumping this to let you know that after a few weeks I've come crawling back to Ace. I love how the Ventures skate, I just love Ace more.

Haha, thanks man. Yeah, I never pulled the trigger, calmed down my madness and just realized my 44's deserve to be skated to the axle, I'm about 3/4 of the way there. And I probably wouldn't like Venture's turning.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #9467 on: December 05, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »
Anyone know where I can find krux inverted kingpins? I bought them from zumiez last time they’re out of stock, and so is every where I can find that sells them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #9468 on: December 05, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »
In a set of krux trucks is prolly your best bet....

I'm planning to re-up some trucks and I'm at a crossroads perhaps:

Thunder 148 team hollows vs. venture 5.6 hollow.

The main difference I can think of is I know the ventures don't turn as well....but I can afford to ride them a bit looser with less wheelbite.  Neither turn that great but I kinda don't necessarily want to turn less...I have krux d/l in the cast but venture has better clearance period.... Height and weight, pretty sure they are similar. 

I heard they are going to drop a new ace...same everything but better....that is all I know....

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #9469 on: December 05, 2020, 10:13:49 AM »

The main difference I can think of is I know the ventures don't turn as well....but I can afford to ride them a bit looser with less wheelbite.  Neither turn that great but I kinda don't necessarily want to turn less...I have krux d/l in the cast but venture has better clearance period.... Height and weight, pretty sure they are similar. 

I heard they are going to drop a new ace...same everything but better....that is all I know....
running venture 5.6 cast and hollow (cast baseplate either way) and can firmly recommend them.

running them with old cracked riptides and ace bottom bushings shaved down around a mm or two to get the nut flush. flat bones top and flat bottoms from the hardware store down the block. rattly loose but smidge tighter in the back. they turn better than everything bar ace for me, and i have owned all the main brands. hollow thunders setup like this would be life threatening with the wheelbite @49mm high, but ventures have a defined "balance beam" area going through the center of the board and are a bit taller with cast plates. paired with 50mm conical fulls and slight magic carpet, and i get virtually no wheelbite at 200 lbs.

i used to tweak with my trucks until i found this gear combo because everything is working perfectly for fucking once. to the point where i am running one setup and content with it. really depends on if you are down to tinker with your trucks to find what you like but thats coming from someone who never found a perfect stock truck so take it as you will.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #9470 on: December 05, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
I'm a buck thirty five and ride pretty tight trucks and still get wheel bite on thunders (Could be lack of skill) but actually what's swaying me is that I grind through thunders in like six months.  ill prolly try em just because.....

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #9471 on: December 06, 2020, 04:00:27 PM »
I’ve come across some second hand USA stamped Thunder 149s... need help identifying what year these were and if the geometry is any different?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9472 on: December 06, 2020, 07:16:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
running venture 5.6 cast and hollow (cast baseplate either way) and can firmly recommend them.

running them with old cracked riptides and ace bottom bushings shaved down around a mm or two to get the nut flush. flat bones top and flat bottoms from the hardware store down the block. rattly loose but smidge tighter in the back. they turn better than everything bar ace for me, and i have owned all the main brands. hollow thunders setup like this would be life threatening with the wheelbite @49mm high, but ventures have a defined "balance beam" area going through the center of the board and are a bit taller with cast plates. paired with 50mm conical fulls and slight magic carpet, and i get virtually no wheelbite at 200 lbs.

i used to tweak with my trucks until i found this gear combo because everything is working perfectly for fucking once. to the point where i am running one setup and content with it. really depends on if you are down to tinker with your trucks to find what you like but thats coming from someone who never found a perfect stock truck so take it as you will.

That's a big breakthrough for you. I want to continue loving Ventures because I learned so many tricks on them over the past year. But Thunders are much more versatile and play nice with most board dimensions. Even going 5.6 V-Hollow with Cast Baseplates gave me mixed results.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ballintoohard

« Reply #9473 on: December 06, 2020, 08:13:10 PM »
I find that regardless of dimensions my Ventures turn very well and pop feel is solid, almost too light. I have 5.6 cast, couldn't find the hollows.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #9474 on: December 06, 2020, 08:36:52 PM »
Anyone know where I can buy some inverted kingpins?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #9475 on: December 06, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »
I’ve come across some second hand USA stamped Thunder 149s... need help identifying what year these were and if the geometry is any different?

I bought a set of 149s from a friend that are very similar to those, which do look different to the current 149 trucks out, but the differences are minimal in the angle of the kingpin, pivot, etc.  They were from about 10 or so years ago, he said.

They are still set up on another board and skate pretty well to me, even if I am more an Indy guy than anything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #9476 on: December 07, 2020, 04:11:18 AM »

Xen What do you think the difference is wheelbase wise with tensor mag light ATG and indy's?
From what I can tell tensor makes the wb feel are lil longer or am I tripping?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #9477 on: December 07, 2020, 05:59:04 AM »
Anyone know where I can buy some inverted kingpins?

https://cureskateshop.com/product/krux-hollow-down-low-kingpin/

Move fast only 4 in stock, it took some digging for me to find these, sold out almost everywhere.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9478 on: December 08, 2020, 10:57:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Xen What do you think the difference is wheelbase wise with tensor mag light ATG and indy's?
From what I can tell tensor makes the wb feel are lil longer or am I tripping?

Ben Degros measure them and put them in the indy category, so pulling them in; I never measured them but found them to feel longer, closer to thunders (I rode them on a 14" WB which is short for me and they felt fine.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9479 on: December 08, 2020, 11:07:07 AM »
I don't have the mag light, but the standard ATG i believe is a 1/8" longer than the indy standard 3" add to wb