Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220740 times)

Crow T. Robot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #330 on: February 22, 2016, 12:01:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Haven't looked at this thread in a while but it feels like Im seeing nothing but downlow kingpins. For those that have used them, would you be able to let your trucks wobble with these kingpins? I feel like it would end up loosening the kingpin and it would shake around instead, which I have had happen before.
[close]

I think the only trucks with a downlow kingpin that will wobble with stock (non shaved/sanded) bushings are Krux. You won't be able to get them loose enough on ace or Indy with stock height bushings if you skate Matt Rodriguez loose
Ive got Indy's with shaved/low top bushings. They get really eroded to the point where its too loose and the bushing can come off with out taking the kingpin nut and washer off. To deal with this I've been periodically swapping bushings and kingpin bolts before it gets too bad. The real issue is that my trucks are down to the axle and its either wobbly with a kingpin that sticks out, or too tight and terrible turns with trucks that can smith. Kinda of been in truck crisis, went through a few bolts and stripped a kingpin the past few weeks. Think i found a decent medium recently, and I might try to just glue the bolts in and hope it lasts.

I would be interested to know if the anyone has skated wobbly trucks with low kingpins, might try it for myself.

edit: its 10-40 degrees where I live so my shit feels little off every session depending temp so i really just want something that will last till april or may.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:20:34 AM by Crow T. Robot »

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #331 on: February 23, 2016, 08:20:24 AM »
I notice a lot of skaters are rockin' trucks slightly wider than their deck. Many go with 149's even if they're skating 8.25"-8.38". I've always thought if I go down from an 8.5" I would want to go down to 147s so my axle nuts aren't sticking out when I look down. Other than stability from a wider truck, what about grinds? Wouldn't a 149 cause you to slip back and forth on a grind more than a 147 since there's not as wide of a surface? Are 147s kinda too small for transition? My random truck nerd thoughts of the day...

N.L.

« Reply #332 on: February 23, 2016, 08:26:35 AM »
i do this often. 159s on an 8.5.... brings your wheels further out the deck. seems to reduce wheel bite a bit and i like the turn better. i def like it better for grinds especially on curbs and pool coping. disclaimer i'm old and mainly skate tranny and low-impact curb stuff....

in saying that, i currently have 44s on a 8.75". so i'm full of shit, really.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:40:44 AM by N.L. »

BMCsteve

« Reply #333 on: February 23, 2016, 08:37:56 AM »
I notice a lot of skaters are rockin' trucks slightly wider than their deck. Many go with 149's even if they're skating 8.25"-8.38". I've always thought if I go down from an 8.5" I would want to go down to 147s so my axle nuts aren't sticking out when I look down. Other than stability from a wider truck, what about grinds? Wouldn't a 149 cause you to slip back and forth on a grind more than a 147 since there's not as wide of a surface? Are 147s kinda too small for transition? My random truck nerd thoughts of the day...

in terms of locking into grinds the ideal deck width to truck ratio would be having the outer edge of the wheels flush with the edge of the board.  This is what you get when you have 8.5" trucks on an 8.25" deck.  

I've found that if my board is significantly wider (8.38" deck with 8" trucks) I tend to miss a lot of grinds and find myself over popping on ledges.  

If your board is significantly skinnier (8" deck with 8.5" trucks) it's a lot harder to lock in because you don't have the same leverage.

All that being said, I generally skate 8.38 and 8.5 decks with 8.5 trucks.  

Main

« Reply #334 on: February 23, 2016, 09:14:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply bros. Makes more sense to me now.

N.L.

« Reply #335 on: February 23, 2016, 10:39:42 AM »
Meant to say wheelbite not base

Randozzi

« Reply #336 on: February 23, 2016, 11:19:29 AM »
149's on an 8.25 is perfect.

Main

« Reply #337 on: February 23, 2016, 12:38:42 PM »
That's it! I'm trying an 8.25 damnit!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #338 on: February 23, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »
Don't under estimate how dumb it looks and it may drive you mental......

On the other side....The over deck, under truck can enhance no pop nollie heels......

Main

« Reply #339 on: February 23, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
Don't under estimate how dumb it looks and it may drive you mental......

On the other side....The over deck, under truck can enhance no pop nollie heels......

You may be right. Especially with my attention to detail and OCD.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #340 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:19 AM »
The overhang of 149s on an 8.25" is 1/8" on either side, if you are looking down for that long to notice a bolt, something's wrong ;)

Lately, I've been riding 8" (thunders) on 8.25" and actually prefer it to 149s, the board just feels snappier and more responsive; I'd still stick with ACE or Krux on an 8.25" if I wanted the Indy feel for tranny so now I keep the 8.25" 147 setup for street (lower, smaller wheels) and an 8.25" with either Krux/ACE and bigger wheels.

If I could just get Thunders to carve the way I want them (like ACE lol ;) as I love the height but they're just not built that way; closest I can get is Team plates with soft bushings - currently using stock thunder 90a white, which feel softer than the clears w/Krux kingpin, khiro soft cups (chich might be too thick, it pushes they hanger forwar, team plates and Ti 147 hanger :P
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:29:47 AM by Xen »

N.L.

« Reply #341 on: February 24, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
The overhang of 149s on an 8.25" is 1/8" on either side, if you are looking down for that long to notice a bolt, something's wrong ;)

Lately, I've been riding 8" (thunders) on 8.25" and actually prefer it to 149s, the board just feels snappier and more responsive; I'd still stick with ACE or Krux on an 8.25" if I wanted the Indy feel for tranny so now I keep the 8.25" 147 setup for street (lower, smaller wheels) and an 8.25" with either Krux/ACE and bigger wheels.

If I could just get Thunders to carve the way I want them (like ACE lol ;) as I love the height but they're just not built that way; closest I can get is Team plates with soft bushings - currently using stock thunder 90a white, which feel softer than the clears w/Krux kingpin, khiro soft cups (chich might be too thick, it pushes they hanger forwar, team plates and Ti 147 hanger :P

thunder 149/ 151 probably have a turn thats closer to what you want but sounds like too wide for your tastes? they'll never feel like aces but i still dig them for tranny.

BMCsteve

« Reply #342 on: February 24, 2016, 10:52:26 AM »
Sometimes I sit in my living room covered under a mountain of truck parts and feel like I'm going insane.....then i see a post from Xen and realize I'm not alone   :D

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: February 24, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »
My only real issue with Thunders on tranny is having to use super soft bushings, either bones softs or Khiro 73a (much to sooft, they get destroyed after two or three sessions) and with bones, having to crank them down so they don't just mush out when turning; I ride loose (not jiggly tho) and like rebound, the softer they are the less there is.

The red 88a conicals feel just like the stock 90a and are the exact shape.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:05:44 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: February 24, 2016, 11:50:36 AM »
Sometimes I sit in my living room covered under a mountain of truck parts and feel like I'm going insane.....then i see a post from Xen and realize I'm not alone   :D

Right there wth you man! Setup the aces with krux DL/bushings and mag plates! Had a scale battle session last night ;)

Main

« Reply #345 on: February 24, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »
I'm going to stick with an 8.5 and 149s I've decided. It's never let me down.

Going back to an earlier discussion about Thunders, I've noticed a lot of recent instagram pics of pros that are using Bones bushings in theirs, and are not using the bottom washer and it seems to do just fine. Since I'm heavier I'm going to buy the hards and suffer through the break-in period. You guys think I can still get a killer turn out of them with the kingpin nut flush? Or do the hards just suck for turning?

BMCsteve

« Reply #346 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »

Going back to an earlier discussion about Thunders, I've noticed a lot of recent instagram pics of pros that are using Bones bushings in theirs, and are not using the bottom washer and it seems to do just fine. Since I'm heavier I'm going to buy the hards and suffer through the break-in period. You guys think I can still get a killer turn out of them with the kingpin nut flush? Or do the hards just suck for turning?

The turn you'll get out of a bushing depends on the duro and your weight.  if you weigh 200+, the hards will work fine I'm sure.

just a heads up though, its going to change the geometry slightly and will put more stress on your pivot if you dont use the bottom washer but its impossible to fit bones bushings with both washers in thunders.  The bones bottom bushing is the same height as the stock thunder bottom bushing.  The height of the bottom bushing is essential to a trucks geometry

I still firmly believe that the black thunder rebuild kit bushings would be a much better solution, plus they come with higher quality washers than you get with the trucks.  I just can't find a reason to use the bones over thunders

Main

« Reply #347 on: February 24, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The turn you'll get out of a bushing depends on the duro and your weight.  if you weigh 200+, the hards will work fine I'm sure.

just a heads up though, its going to change the geometry slightly and will put more stress on your pivot if you dont use the bottom washer but its impossible to fit bones bushings with both washers in thunders.  The bones bottom bushing is the same height as the stock thunder bottom bushing.  The height of the bottom bushing is essential to a trucks geometry

I still firmly believe that the black thunder rebuild kit bushings would be a much better solution, plus they come with higher quality washers than you get with the trucks.  I just can't find a reason to use the bones over thunders

Considering my weight the hards will work fine then. If Thunder made an aftermarket hard in white that's what I'd buy, but I despise colored bushings. Especially black...gross.

BMCsteve

« Reply #348 on: February 24, 2016, 02:43:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Considering my weight the hards will work fine then. If Thunder made an aftermarket hard in white that's what I'd buy, but I despise colored bushings. Especially black...gross.

They do make them in yellow.  not sure if that's better or worse than black haha http://www.tactics.com/thunder/skate-bushing-tube-2-truck-set/neon-yellow-maximum

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: February 24, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thunder 149/ 151 probably have a turn thats closer to what you want but sounds like too wide for your tastes? they'll never feel like aces but i still dig them for tranny.

Turning wise....I think ACE....Theeve....Indy.....Thunder.....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: February 24, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can't say I disagree with that order...

N.L.

« Reply #351 on: February 24, 2016, 09:01:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What i was trying to say is that as far as Thunder goes, as I understand it the 149/151 have a 'better' turn than the smaller sizes.

Krux are also missing from your list. They are easily on par with Indy/ Ace.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:53 PM »
Yah....I've never skated them....thought they were closer to a Thunder....I just wanted to show a range....Venture is on the other side of Thunder....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: February 25, 2016, 11:31:21 AM »
ACE....Theeve...Indy.....Krux.....Venture...Thunder....

Krux turn just as well as Indy, if not a bit faster? It's essentially a Chinese made indy (much like ACE).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: February 25, 2016, 10:07:20 PM »
I think there are at least a couple turn qualities....one is something responsive or fast....the other is turning radius....

Like you can ride tensors no bushings and they'll twitch but they'd never arc like an Indy......

Flip260z

• Rep: 7
« Reply #355 on: February 26, 2016, 06:40:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Right there wth you man! Setup the aces with krux DL/bushings and mag plates! Had a scale battle session last night ;)

Im curious what bushings you used exactly. I installed the Krux DL on my ace 44's last night and they are definitely more snug than i would like. Gonna have to skate today and see though.  I did like that the nut held itself and didnt spin in the baseplate though.  The ace stock bushings with just a slight jiggle is the perfect ride for me ive found.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: February 26, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Im curious what bushings you used exactly. I installed the Krux DL on my ace 44's last night and they are definitely more snug than i would like. Gonna have to skate today and see though.  I did like that the nut held itself and didnt spin in the baseplate though.  The ace stock bushings with just a slight jiggle is the perfect ride for me ive found.

Krux stock bushings, same height as ACE stocks (top and bottom); I wasn't able to get the nut to not spin this time around after it caught and became snug; wedged it and gave them another 1/4 turn. Should feel fine; I ride as loose as I can pre-jiggle, i.e. everything snug, not cranked down.

BMCsteve

« Reply #357 on: February 26, 2016, 12:24:16 PM »
If you want to use the downlow kingpin on Ace's and like it super loose, you could use the aftermarket indy bushings.  the bottom bushing is the same height as Ace/Krux but the top bushing is shorter

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: February 26, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
If you want to use the downlow kingpin on Ace's and like it super loose, you could use the aftermarket indy bushings.  the bottom bushing is the same height as Ace/Krux but the top bushing is shorter

My aftermarket orange barrels we're shorter than ACE or Krux (will get a pic later) stocks, they are even shorter than the conicals. Odd set maybe?

Flip260z

• Rep: 7
« Reply #359 on: February 26, 2016, 01:39:26 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys.  I have some aftermarket indys (92a med hard blue) on my 149 indys on cruiser setup i might mess around with tonight.  I honestly have an assortment of bushings lying around over the years but didnt really even think about it.  Might come up with some sort of crazy frankenstein setup at some point.  What hardness of the independent bushings do you think matches the stock ace?