Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220907 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #450 on: March 10, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »
I went out and got an Indy tattoo so in my mind I could only ride Indys, but then last night I remembered that old pic of Jamie Thomas shaving his head and his Indy tramp stamp and he rides thunders, almost had a breakdown.

Dying  :D

Spitfire4life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #451 on: March 10, 2016, 08:38:41 AM »
I'm starting to get a little disappointed with my Ace's. They turn fine, but they don't feel very different than my Indys. Everyone talked about how quickly they turn, but I have to ride it wobbly loose just to get a good enough turn. Should I try some different bushings? Or maybe is it that I came off 169's down to the 44s?
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #452 on: March 10, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »
Expand Quote
I went out and got an Indy tattoo so in my mind I could only ride Indys, but then last night I remembered that old pic of Jamie Thomas shaving his head and his Indy tramp stamp and he rides thunders, almost had a breakdown.
[close]

Pretty sure he justifies it now by via being and independant type of dude ;)

BMCsteve

« Reply #453 on: March 10, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »
I'm starting to get a little disappointed with my Ace's. They turn fine, but they don't feel very different than my Indys. Everyone talked about how quickly they turn, but I have to ride it wobbly loose just to get a good enough turn. Should I try some different bushings? Or maybe is it that I came off 169's down to the 44s?

Try Krux bushings and Khiro soft pivot cups.  I was so confused when I got my Ace's.  The bushings were super hard and the turn was slow and shallow.

I didn't end up keeping the trucks but after swapping the bushings and pivot cups they turned amazingly well

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #454 on: March 10, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »
take things of little matter very seriously and shrug of the big things. its all about the fucking trucks...
hardly art, hardly starving

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #455 on: March 10, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »
oh i'm still here, panicking of whether Lee Ralph rides 44s or 55s and if i get 55s should i wait a bit because the hangar width might be� shortened and they might invert the kingpin but what if stage 12s come out this summer? fuck then what do i do? and how will the stage 12s be different to 11s? and then if thunder rehash the 151 christ i'll be incapacitated with indecision, sleepless nights concerned with turning geometry, location of manufacturing, dimensions, bushing quality, kingpin exposure but really i'm a 40 yr old man who slaps curbs and slashes pool coping. why does it even matter? am i just trying to avoid thinking about real shit like money, career, family and my steep demise into ineptitude� and eventual death? what was it all for? how much time did i consume thinking about something so meaningless? but isn't that what the buddhists say, take things of little matter very seriously and shrug of the big things. its all about the fucking trucks...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DXfwUN9M8k

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #456 on: March 10, 2016, 04:31:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try Krux bushings and Khiro soft pivot cups.  I was so confused when I got my Ace's.  The bushings were super hard and the turn was slow and shallow.

I didn't end up keeping the trucks but after swapping the bushings and pivot cups they turned amazingly well

Putting Krux bushings in my aces was the best decision I've ever made. I was having to tighten the nut on my front truck every few minutes to be able to skate them as loose as I wanted until I threw the krux bushings in. Total life changer
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:47:44 PM by Cherb »

N.L.

« Reply #457 on: March 10, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Try Krux bushings and Khiro soft pivot cups.  I was so confused when I got my Ace's.  The bushings were super hard and the turn was slow and shallow.

[close]

Putting Krux bushings in my aces was the best decision I've ever made. I was having to tighten the nut on my front trunk every few minutes to be able to skate them as loose as I wanted until I threw the krux bushings in. Total life changer

agreed. even if its just the krux top bushing. great combo.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #458 on: March 10, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
paritally because of this thread....I've set up a new board....

Ace 44's on an 8.5.....the 8 3/8's is bang on.....

Set up those bones with the built,in spacers and they set up exactly how I wanted....super tight and they spin exactly how new bearings should. I'm stoked....I'm curious how they hold up to me landing primo every 2nd kickflip.....I've had problems w. Axel slip on lots of trucks and my theory is if everything is tighter, it's less likely to happen.

Put on some of those baby risers too just cause I insisted they are a good idea.....

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:41:30 PM by j....soy..... »

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #459 on: March 10, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »
too lazy to look back in thread. whats the best argument for 149s over 139 indys?

BMCsteve

« Reply #460 on: March 10, 2016, 09:33:36 PM »
too lazy to look back in thread. whats the best argument for 149s over 139 indys?

stability vs flipability

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #461 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pretty sure he justifies it now by via being and independant type of dude ;)
Forum Weapon: Woody's Laugh

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #462 on: March 10, 2016, 11:08:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

stability vs flipability

We've concluded the 149 is definitely larger.....we're not sure by how much....

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #463 on: March 11, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks Steve. I assume I need the large pivot cups?
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

BMCsteve

« Reply #464 on: March 11, 2016, 08:46:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks Steve. I assume I need the large pivot cups?

Nope, you'll actually need the small cups - http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3600

they fit perfectly in the Ace baseplate

Main

« Reply #465 on: March 11, 2016, 05:26:11 PM »
Got some Ace 55's today. Wasn't 100% if they'd fit the shaped deck I wanted and sure enough they line up perfect. Maybe just a hair short, but the 66's were too wide. I'm keeping them stock, for now. I noticed on SoCal Skate Shop that Ace sells aftermarket bushings...haven't seen anyone mention this. I wonder if it's like Indy where their aftermarkets are better quality than stock?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:16:47 AM by Main »

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #466 on: March 12, 2016, 12:48:09 AM »
Ace sells aftermarket bushings...haven't seen anyone mention this. I wonder if it's like Indy where their aftermarkets are better quality than stock?

They're the exact same.
There's a contingent of Ace fans that really love the stock bushings (the pivots? not so much). So they decided to offer them separately.

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #467 on: March 12, 2016, 12:58:26 AM »
Anyone try Mini Logo bushings yet?

BMCsteve

« Reply #468 on: March 12, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »
Anyone try Mini Logo bushings yet?

I haven't but I wonder if it's the same urethane as Bones bushings but without the core and a barrel bottom bushing.  if so, they should be great. 

Main

« Reply #469 on: March 12, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »
Just got back from barrier rituals. Ace's kick ass man. I think I gotta break in the stock bushings a lot more because I could only get that slutty loose turn if I finger tightened the nut, then a couple tiny cranks with a tool to secure the nut from falling off. Any extra cranks and they didn't respond as well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:35:38 PM by Main »

N.L.

« Reply #470 on: March 12, 2016, 06:58:48 PM »
i lost patience trying to break my ace bushings in. Adding a smaller top bushing was all i needed. i had some old crux bushings in a box and they worked really well.

so, Main, do you mind measuring the axle and hangers on those 55s? curious to see if they measure up as advertised unlike the 44s....

Main

« Reply #471 on: March 12, 2016, 07:17:05 PM »
i lost patience trying to break my ace bushings in. Adding a smaller top bushing was all i needed. i had some old crux bushings in a box and they worked really well.

so, Main, do you mind measuring the axle and hangers on those 55s? curious to see if they measure up as advertised unlike the 44s....

I measured them before I bought them and they were nearly a 9" axle. So I think what SoCal Skate Shop lists them as, 8 7/8 (8.875"), is accurate.

Main

« Reply #472 on: March 13, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »
I had another session today in them. Rained a shit ton so I had to drive an hour to an indoor park. Still having issues with my kingpin nut almost falling off in order to keep the desired looseness. I know it was only my second session in them but I'm impatient with breaking in trucks. Some of you mentioned using Krux bushings, are they just softer than Ace's stocks therefore resulting in a better turn? Can I just use Krux bushings without changing the pivot cups and still achieve desired looseness?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: March 13, 2016, 08:19:13 PM »
I had another session today in them. Rained a shit ton so I had to drive an hour to an indoor park. Still having issues with my kingpin nut almost falling off in order to keep the desired looseness. I know it was only my second session in them but I'm impatient with breaking in trucks. Some of you mentioned using Krux bushings, are they just softer than Ace's stocks therefore resulting in a better turn? Can I just use Krux bushings without changing the pivot cups and still achieve desired looseness?

The top krux bushing is just a little bit shorter than the ace. I'm not sure about the hardness but they feel pretty similar. I'm also still just using the stock ace pivot cups and their working fine for me.

BMCsteve

« Reply #474 on: March 13, 2016, 09:56:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The top krux bushing is just a little bit shorter than the ace. I'm not sure about the hardness but they feel pretty similar. I'm also still just using the stock ace pivot cups and their working fine for me.

The ace bushings felt rock hard to me.  Krux aren't exactly soft but they have great rebound and are just all around higher quality than the Ace bushings.   You can skate the ace pivot cups until they blow out but you might as well get some Khiro soft small cups to have on hand

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #475 on: March 14, 2016, 12:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The ace bushings felt rock hard to me.  Krux aren't exactly soft but they have great rebound and are just all around higher quality than the Ace bushings.   You can skate the ace pivot cups until they blow out but you might as well get some Khiro soft small cups to have on hand

i felt the same way. everyone i knew who's been on Ace for awhile told me that they get softer but they're really almost like 96A and i didn't even realize that Bones Mediums are that durometer. Honestly haven't gone back to bones and have stucked on Indy Standard Conical Red's. everything else is too hard/tight even if i ride on a couple threads of the nut. I wanna try Bones Soft one more time because Bones does have that broken in feel rather than the mushy feel you get with Indy's till they're fully broken in.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #476 on: March 14, 2016, 10:31:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

i felt the same way. everyone i knew who's been on Ace for awhile told me that they get softer but they're really almost like 96A and i didn't even realize that Bones Mediums are that durometer. Honestly haven't gone back to bones and have stucked on Indy Standard Conical Red's. everything else is too hard/tight even if i ride on a couple threads of the nut. I wanna try Bones Soft one more time because Bones does have that broken in feel rather than the mushy feel you get with Indy's till they're fully broken in.

ACE have changed the bushings a bit from what I can tell. The older ones are more of an off white color whereas the newer ones have a blue-white look to them. The old one were two duros, 94a bottom, 92a top, at least that is what they told me.

Bones Mediums are 91a, softs, 85a.

ACE and Bones softs, man, that's a floopy loose ride...Bones med bottoms and soft tops is nice, Conical Reds are nice as well. Krux in ACE are the bee's knees. To me, they feel best with barrel bottoms, conicals (unless you are riding hard bushings) are just too unstable in them.

That said, I did ride ACE lows with Bones hards and it was awesome ;)

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah you're right. I went back and felt them and they're definitely a little harder than the krux bushings. The ride with krux bushings feels way better for sure. I was just speaking about the actual feeling of the bushings in your hand.

Main

« Reply #478 on: March 15, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »
So, are Ace pivot cups medium? hard? Based on what I've read, I'm curious as to why they blow out quicker than other trucks. I'm also heavier so are soft khiro pivot cups even a good idea?

BMCsteve

« Reply #479 on: March 15, 2016, 12:17:02 PM »
So, are Ace pivot cups medium? hard? Based on what I've read, I'm curious as to why they blow out quicker than other trucks. I'm also heavier so are soft khiro pivot cups even a good idea?

they're medium to hard.  the ace pivot cups like most stock pivot cups are just a hard plastic.  The Khiro ones are high quality urethane.  I' not sure why they blow out quicker than others but you'll see the quality difference when you swap them out.

I've used the hard and soft ones and honestly I didn't notice a difference.