Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220794 times)

Jake From State Farm

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #630 on: April 14, 2016, 05:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote
SoCal has the "stage 2" redesigns for 44, 55, 66. They do not have any of the "stage 1's" in those sizes, so you're fine...you don't have to ask before you order. Get the Krux bushings for sure, Khiro pivot cups are optional if you wanna have some extra ones for backup. Mine are still fine but I'll get around to ordering some Khiro's eventually.

Lastly, I'm not saying what Joey said is true, just repeating what he said.
[close]

I know, I read that quote too, it just doesn't make any sense. You don't reinforce something if you don't need too, axles were bending so they reinforced the hanger with more metal (just like every other truck out there does....except for 215s it seems).

Where is the quote talking about this?

My thunders are bent so badly, I don't want to skate them anymore. Hopefully the Ace redesign is the best option.

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #631 on: April 15, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
SoCal has the "stage 2" redesigns for 44, 55, 66. They do not have any of the "stage 1's" in those sizes, so you're fine...you don't have to ask before you order. Get the Krux bushings for sure, Khiro pivot cups are optional if you wanna have some extra ones for backup. Mine are still fine but I'll get around to ordering some Khiro's eventually.

[close]

I know, I read that quote too, it just doesn't make any sense. You don't reinforce something if you don't need too, axles were bending so they reinforced the hanger with more metal (just like every other truck out there does....except for 215s it seems).
[close]

My thunders are bent so badly, I don't want to skate them anymore. Hopefully the Ace redesign is the best option.

Someone on one of Ace's instagram posts asked if he fixed the bending issue and he responded that it was a production issue, not a design flaw. So whether it was or not, the issue seems to be fixed either way.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #632 on: April 15, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Someone on one of Ace's instagram posts asked if he fixed the bending issue and he responded that it was a production issue, not a design flaw. So whether it was or not, the issue seems to be fixed either way.

Good to know, hopefully it's not bullshit. I'll get Aces next time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:01:24 PM by Jake From State Farm »

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #633 on: April 16, 2016, 10:35:29 AM »
I put the bushings from the 90a Thunder Rebuilt Kit into my aces, and I'm in love. I riding it without the bottom bushings so there's a little wobble, and my god do they turn fast. They're still really stable even though there's the wobble, so turning is super sharp and fast but going fast feels just fine.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Space Monkey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #634 on: April 18, 2016, 10:47:26 AM »
Not sure if the right place to ask. Should I get Krux K4's or regular Thunder polished trucks?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #635 on: April 18, 2016, 11:55:47 AM »
Not sure if the right place to ask. Should I get Krux K4's or regular Thunder polished trucks?

By regular thunders do you mean the team plates (no hollow shmallow stuff?)

Krux's will be lighter and turn like Indys as well as be as tall as Indys 55mm.

Thunders will lower and are twitchier.

What terrain do you skate?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #636 on: April 18, 2016, 01:06:14 PM »
I put the bushings from the 90a Thunder Rebuilt Kit into my aces, and I'm in love. I riding it without the bottom bushings so there's a little wobble, and my god do they turn fast. They're still really stable even though there's the wobble, so turning is super sharp and fast but going fast feels just fine.

Space Monkey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #637 on: April 18, 2016, 10:21:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

By regular thunders do you mean the team plates (no hollow shmallow stuff?)

Krux's will be lighter and turn like Indys as well as be as tall as Indys 55mm.

Thunders will lower and are twitchier.

What terrain do you skate?
I've been skating a lot of flatground with Indys and i want to try something else. By twitchy do you mean responsive?

N.L.

« Reply #638 on: April 19, 2016, 09:02:15 AM »
Quicker sharper turn with Thunders, not as 'deep'' as Indy. Thunder could better for flat ground than Indy depending on your taste. They are stable until you want them to turn but won't turn as much, if that makes sense.

BMCsteve

« Reply #639 on: April 20, 2016, 12:33:20 PM »
Bought some Ace 55's from skatewarehouse and it looks like I got one truck with the updated hanger (without the taper) and one older hanger (with the taper)

I sent the truck with the taper back for an exchange.  super weird though

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #640 on: April 20, 2016, 12:44:25 PM »
Bought some Ace 55's from skatewarehouse and it looks like I got one truck with the updated hanger (without the taper) and one older hanger (with the taper)

BIG box of ACE 55s, dude reaches in and grabs two, packages them up. Happened to me during the great Thunder 149 switchover, got an old and new design.

N.L.

« Reply #641 on: April 20, 2016, 12:55:19 PM »
good chance to compare them i suppose...

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #642 on: April 20, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

BIG box of ACE 55s, dude reaches in and grabs two, packages them up. Happened to me during the great Thunder 149 switchover, got an old and new design.

that'd drive me crazy! for a business to make a mistake like that is unacceptable!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Main

« Reply #643 on: April 20, 2016, 08:32:56 PM »
^Eh to be fair even though it could be considered Ace's "Stage II" it was not advertised like Indy does with all their stages or like Thunder with their 149's.

If a merchant doesn't get the memo, the employees are just packing orders as quickly as possible so they're not going to be looking for anything besides making sure the set is the same size.

BMCsteve

« Reply #644 on: April 20, 2016, 09:22:11 PM »
^Eh to be fair even though it could be considered Ace's "Stage II" it was not advertised like Indy does with all their stages or like Thunder with their 149's.

If a merchant doesn't get the memo, the employees are just packing orders as quickly as possible so they're not going to be looking for anything besides making sure the set is the same size.

yup, simple mistake and skatewarehouse is always great so I don't fault them.  I literally order from them twice a month. 

I can wait a couple extra days, it's not like I have a shortage of trucks  :D

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #645 on: April 21, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »

BMCsteve do you know if the taper on the stage 1's causes the wheel to be pushed more outwards than the stage 2's?  Or is it that the stage 2's  have just a longer hanger?

BMCsteve

« Reply #646 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:28 AM »
Expand Quote

I sent the truck with the taper back for an exchange.  super weird though

[close]

BMCsteve do you know if the taper on the stage 1's causes the wheel to be pushed more outwards than the stage 2's?  Or is it that the stage 2's  have just a longer hanger?

The stage 1's are meant to be used with one washer on the outside bearing.  The stage 2's are meant to be used with two washers (one on each side) which makes them equal.  I know a lot of people skating Ace's would put the washer on the inside of Stage 1's as well to make them closer to an 8.5 truck

N.L.

« Reply #647 on: April 21, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »
i've been using no washers on the inside of the 55s as there is still enough taper to not rub against the bearing shields. i use the two washers on the outside to limit thread exposure...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #648 on: April 21, 2016, 12:17:17 PM »
i've been using no washers on the inside of the 55s as there is still enough taper to not rub against the bearing shields. i use the two washers on the outside to limit thread exposure...

That's the whole pint of the taper! You're rocking them as intended. Depending on the wheel I might still throw one or two on the inside (With skinnier wheels I've had to put three or four deep to limit nut exposure....

Main

« Reply #649 on: April 21, 2016, 02:35:22 PM »
Never actually knew that about the Stage 1's, I always put one inside and out like any other truck. I can't decide whether I like the look of the old design or the new one. Both are very nice...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #650 on: April 22, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »
I recall 'speed rings' which were concave to create the same bevel effect......

You guys so much frankentrucking?  Like a gullwing hanger on a venture baseplate? 

Main

« Reply #651 on: April 24, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »
Anyone try Indy's aftermarket bushings in Aces? If so, cylinder or conical, and standard or low?

Bones mediums? Thunder bushings?

Just trying to see if there's other good ones besides Krux specifically for Ace.

N.L.

« Reply #652 on: April 24, 2016, 11:38:28 AM »
Anyone try Indy's aftermarket bushings in Aces? If so, cylinder or conical, and standard or low?

Just trying to see if there's other good ones besides Krux specifically for Ace.

Indy's work but you'll get 'the rattle.' i think the blues are the equivalent duro to krux. i'd personally stick with the cylinders to limit wheel bite. you can def use harder bushings in ace than you would in other trucks...

N.L.

« Reply #653 on: April 24, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
it would be great if ace made some softer bushings, the same size and shape as their stock ones...

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #654 on: April 24, 2016, 01:22:50 PM »
I recall 'speed rings' which were concave to create the same bevel effect......

You guys so much frankentrucking?  Like a gullwing hanger on a venture baseplate? 
I tried indy hangers on thunder base plates, it was terrible

Main

« Reply #655 on: April 24, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Indy's work but you'll get 'the rattle.' i think the blues are the equivalent duro to krux. i'd personally stick with the cylinders to limit wheel bite. you can def use harder bushings in ace than you would in other trucks...

So even with the standard size Indy cylinders the trucks rattle? I'm thinking of trying Indy softs. I've never tried soft bushings since I'm a little over 200lbs but since there's pretty much no wheelbite with Ace I'm thinking I may be ok with softs?

N.L.

« Reply #656 on: April 24, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »
i'm the same weight and tried the 90a (reds) with the cylindrical buttons. plenty of rattle. feels good but you will get wheel bite with wheels 54mm +

Main

« Reply #657 on: April 24, 2016, 06:01:20 PM »
i'm the same weight and tried the 90a (reds) with the cylindrical buttons. plenty of rattle. feels good but you will get wheel bite with wheels 54mm +

I'm fine with wheelbite as long as it's not bad enough to bring me to a screeching halt. Well, I'll go back forth between the Krux or the Indy softs in my head for a bit before I decide. Thanks dude!

BMCsteve

« Reply #658 on: April 24, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm fine with wheelbite as long as it's not bad enough to bring me to a screeching halt. Well, I'll go back forth between the Krux or the Indy softs in my head for a bit before I decide. Thanks dude!

Krux are softer than the stock Ace's and are the exact same height so you wont get any rattle.  the top bushing on Indy's is shorter so your going to either get rattle or a few threads showing. 

Main

« Reply #659 on: April 24, 2016, 08:53:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Krux are softer than the stock Ace's and are the exact same height so you wont get any rattle.  the top bushing on Indy's is shorter so your going to either get rattle or a few threads showing. 

Steve with the reply #666 8)

The rattling obviously won't be Matt Rodriguez level, so it probably wouldn't be something to worry about right? No hanger popping out of the pivot or anything drastic like that?