Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233045 times)

rosemaryBB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5490 on: June 17, 2019, 11:54:01 AM »
Just scooped the Worrest Ventures. 5.8. Been on Thunders for like 10 years, siting them up once my current deck dies

Give us an update when you get a couple sessions in, been waiting for a good breakdown. Also been meaning to say big-ups to you for the Tired Hands pic - best brewery out by a long shot.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5491 on: June 17, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Just scooped the Worrest Ventures. 5.8. Been on Thunders for like 10 years, setting them up once my current deck dies
[close]

Give us an update when you get a couple sessions in, been waiting for a good breakdown. Also been meaning to say big-ups to you for the Tired Hands pic - best brewery out by a long shot.

Word will do. I think I’m gonna run the stock bushings for a few sessions too. I usually run bones mediums.

Love TH I feel a bit jaded I only live about 25 minutes from them. Used to hit them weekly but got a little burnt (and fat). Recently started getting back out there when they put out the ones I like. If you want beer trades let me know. Unless you are also close, or a PA resident. They do in state delivery now which was great.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5492 on: June 19, 2019, 10:25:13 PM »
Does it bother anyone else when they tighten their trucks exactly the same and one appears more tight because of the way the kingpin is machined?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5493 on: June 20, 2019, 04:12:50 AM »
Does it bother anyone else when they tighten their trucks exactly the same and one appears more tight because of the way the kingpin is machined?

Yes, it absolutely does.  I was almost positive that I was the only person insane enough to care about something like that  :)

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5494 on: June 20, 2019, 09:14:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, it absolutely does.  I was almost positive that I was the only person insane enough to care about something like that  :)
It always looks like one truck is more flush. Drives me crazy.. 🤷‍♂️

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5495 on: June 20, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »
What about axels not being uniform, one side longer than the other!

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5496 on: June 20, 2019, 12:50:16 PM »
Don't you put that evil on me

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5497 on: June 20, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »

This is the one that gets me, I like to have my axle nut flush with the threads sometimes you get a set that needs 2 washers on one side and 3 on the other on the inside of the wheel
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

antiwaxxer

• Rep: -6
« Reply #5498 on: June 20, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is the one that gets me, I like to have my axle nut flush with the threads sometimes you get a set that needs 2 washers on one side and 3 on the other on the inside of the wheel

I ordered Thunder titanium trucks and they looked bent. So I put the hanger off and put it into a driller. Fixated the driller. And what do I see, the axle is not straight at all. The tip is moving sideways depicting a circle when you drill. I double checked the driller with a straight metal rod, which did not move sideways, no circling round.

Then I ordered several pairs of hollow lights to choose the most straight trucks from. With the hollows you can check quickly just looking through them, preferably from a one or two meters distance. The smaller the hole you see, the more bent they are.

I found the following on the net explaining how axle production puts out bent axles as a normal product, has to do with manufacturing processes.
from r/longboarding

I sent the crooked thunders back and kept the most straight ones. I bet other brands have bent axles as well. Not sure even if it's alright to fan the madness with this episode.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5499 on: June 20, 2019, 01:25:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I ordered Thunder titanium trucks and they looked bent. So I put the hanger off and put it into a driller. Fixated the driller. And what do I see, the axle is not straight at all. The tip is moving sideways depicting a circle when you drill. I double checked the driller with a straight metal rod, which did not move sideways, no circling round.

Then I ordered several pairs of hollow lights to choose the most straight trucks from. With the hollows you can check quickly just looking through them, preferably from a one or two meters distance. The smaller the hole you see, the more bent they are.

I found the following on the net explaining how axle production puts out bent axles as a normal product, has to do with manufacturing processes.
from r/longboarding

I sent the crooked thunders back and kept the most straight ones. I bet other brands have bent axles as well. Not sure even if it's alright to fan the madness with this episode.

I think you just ruined trucks for me, I will never find a set I am satisfied with after reading this

antiwaxxer

• Rep: -6
« Reply #5500 on: June 20, 2019, 01:33:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

from r/longboarding

[close]

I think you just ruined trucks for me, I will never find a set I am satisfied with after reading this

I am truly not happy about this and thought about keeping it a secret even. I was horrified at the sight of my brandnew titanium axles rotating. It stung. Before that I stared them down for days and measured them (you would need special equipment to successfully measure this small of differences as trucks are always bent on the bushing center as well, it's not easy) while waiting for my deck to arrive. Until I found the way with the driller and the horror was immeasurable.

I almost thought about taking my driller to a skateshop making a fool of myself, so no. The hollow lets you "measure" the bent quite well though and minimize the horror.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5501 on: June 20, 2019, 01:45:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm blessed in that I power primo my flip tricks regularly and that even's things up good. 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5502 on: June 20, 2019, 10:18:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm blessed in that I power primo my flip tricks regularly and that even's things up good.

Nice I hope that works for me too cause mannnn oh mannn

I’m loving my 8-8.12 setup with some standard cast Indy 144 but the back truck has uneven axle so on one side the axle nut is flush but the other side there’s almost 2-3 threads like cmonnnnn now one side is gonna get mashed and needs re threading while the other side is just right

It’s so crazy to me for some reason my hate for Indy was how tippy they felt cause of the height but oddly they feel like a mid having 144 on an 8/8.12 and I Love it so much

And they’re full on cast height at 55mm but they feel like 53/52mm
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5503 on: June 20, 2019, 11:02:36 PM »
you guys see what Ben Degros posted?  Blasphemy.....he's prolly right, or even if he's not....there very well could be a case for letting those big ole nuts just hang out but.....I'm not havin it...

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5504 on: June 20, 2019, 11:45:33 PM »
Just tried Ace 55 on a 8.5
I hated it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5505 on: June 21, 2019, 02:16:26 AM »
the state of my axle nuts would send some of you into overdrive - multiple hammerings, supergluings and general fuckery thats probably detrimental to the life of the trucks  :D

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5506 on: June 21, 2019, 04:29:10 AM »
I hated it.

Was just thinking about this setup. What did you hate about it?

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5507 on: June 21, 2019, 04:57:37 AM »
the state of my axle nuts would send some of you into overdrive - multiple hammerings, supergluings and general fuckery thats probably detrimental to the life of the trucks  :D

I recently invested in one of those tools with the re threader and a pack of 50 axle nuts from SkateOne. It has made a world of difference, especially since the set of truck I just decommissioned had the hollow axle(found these stripped or got mangled far easier than solid). I was able to swap wheels, clean bearings so much easier knowing the nut would go back on. Previously I would ride wheels far to long and ride broken bearings cause I didn't feel like dealing with the one or two nuts I knew would be stripped.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5508 on: June 21, 2019, 07:53:10 AM »
I bought a tap and die kit too to repair a kingpin I tried to hammer out (didn't understand cast vs. Forged at the time). Buying a bunch of spare nuts is a good idea.  I just bought a box of 7/8 shortys because I deserve it.....

ballintoohard

« Reply #5509 on: June 21, 2019, 10:06:13 AM »
Anyone have an update on the Venture performance vs. marketing hype?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5510 on: June 21, 2019, 10:25:17 AM »

Most stable trucks on the market, turn isn't as deep as Indy/Ace and not as quick as thunder but you get less wheel bite.  Very low kingpins if you do a lot of smith/feebles, great for ledges and manny pads but can still hold their own on transition.

that's about all you need to know

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5511 on: June 21, 2019, 10:26:03 AM »

Whats their marketing hype consist of? They have a sick team and their tag line is "the only trucks that matter"

They aren't making any claims to anything with that. I just setup some Bobby W. highs that I'm going to skate for the first time today after work. As far as I can see they look and feel like the ventures I rode in the early 2000's

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5512 on: June 21, 2019, 10:59:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This. I get the obsessing about equipment, I hate my setup, and it’s all fairly new. The tripping on manufacture imperfections, outside of extreme board warpage at time of purchase, has never really gotten to me. One of my favorite decks was a Bianca board and I’m pretty sure the truck holes were crooked.
I’m just gonna smash my setup into the ground a ton of times, it’ll all workout/come out in the wash. If you skate it long enough, it’ll wear in, in a way that works. People that skate super fast can’t fake the funk with contrived style. Skate your shit for along time and the madness starts to fall away.

I still switch my shit up doe

ballintoohard

« Reply #5513 on: June 21, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Whats their marketing hype consist of? They have a sick team and their tag line is "the only trucks that matter"

They aren't making any claims to anything with that. I just setup some Bobby W. highs that I'm going to skate for the first time today after work. As far as I can see they look and feel like the ventures I rode in the early 2000's

They've put a lot of effort into getting reps to hand out free prod to local shops and plug the whole "we're still made in the USA" thing.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #5514 on: June 21, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I hated it.
[close]

I did this too. A bit too heavy, threw off my flatground, and a lot of grinds felt a bit weird too. The one really noticeable upside was back 5050s on round rails, never missed haha. 44s still felt more natural to me on 8.5s.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5515 on: June 21, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They've put a lot of effort into getting reps to hand out free prod to local shops and plug the whole "we're still made in the USA" thing.

Just skated mine after 10 plus years of thunder and had a great session. Trucks felt stable. Reacted the way I wanted them too. Turned great. Significantly less wheel bite. If nothing else I feel like they aren’t doing enough. I’m sold. I’ll be on venture for the foreseeable

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #5516 on: June 21, 2019, 06:12:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I hated it.
[close]

[close]

I did this too. A bit too heavy, threw off my flatground, and a lot of grinds felt a bit weird too. The one really noticeable upside was back 5050s on round rails, never missed haha. 44s still felt more natural to me on 8.5s.
I think it also depends on the deck. FA 8.5s are way more full than other 8.5s. I tried 159s on a bbs 8.5 Hockey and hated it. I just setup 55s on a FA 8.5 and I liked it a lot. Flip tricks worked fine, felt super stable and still surfy. My only gripe is the weight. My legs were tired after the sesh. As opposed to today, I skated a 8.38 FA on my venture 5.8s. It felt so stable at first it was weird. But after the grip tape broke in everything was working like normal. Even landed a couple crooked grinds that I have been struggling on for a long time. I skated way longer and harder than I did the other day on the 55 setup and my legs weren’t sore.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5517 on: June 22, 2019, 01:44:28 AM »
^ congrats on the crooks, they've been elusive as fuck for me too but i've finally started getting a few.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5518 on: June 22, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »
Every year I go on a crook campaign......

I had 44's on an 8.5 and felt they'd fit a a board a hair narrower ie. 8.38, even an 8.25. I have 55's set up on a shaped 9" board w. conicals and its sick....wide enough for the front but still crams into the back end of the board. 

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5519 on: June 22, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »
you guys see what Ben Degros posted?  Blasphemy.....he's prolly right, or even if he's not....there very well could be a case for letting those big ole nuts just hang out but.....I'm not havin it...

Didn’t see this? Which forum? I do enjoy his opinions, I don’t always agree, but it’s cool to hear the theory behind some setup ideas