Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231952 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5520 on: June 22, 2019, 08:44:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just tried Ace 55 on a 8.5
I hated it.
[close]

Was just thinking about this setup. What did you hate about it?
[close]

I did this too. A bit too heavy, threw off my flatground, and a lot of grinds felt a bit weird too. The one really noticeable upside was back 5050s on round rails, never missed haha. 44s still felt more natural to me on 8.5s.
[close]
I think it also depends on the deck. FA 8.5s are way more full than other 8.5s. I tried 159s on a bbs 8.5 Hockey and hated it. I just setup 55s on a FA 8.5 and I liked it a lot. Flip tricks worked fine, felt super stable and still surfy. My only gripe is the weight. My legs were tired after the sesh. As opposed to today, I skated a 8.38 FA on my venture 5.8s. It felt so stable at first it was weird. But after the grip tape broke in everything was working like normal. Even landed a couple crooked grinds that I have been struggling on for a long time. I skated way longer and harder than I did the other day on the 55 setup and my legs weren’t sore.

The heft. I love the way big boards feel under my feet, and pushing down a sidewalk and just being able to spread out and laze about re foot position is fun. Once I get to the ‘spot’ (flatground)....I hate it. Last few sessions had big wheels going and my body is still in pain. The weight of the board just crushes my will. I was doing the thing where I’d bend down to pop....and then just.....nope. Weird little hip/knee/lower leg ligaments hurt.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5521 on: June 22, 2019, 09:31:10 AM »
After a lot of years I'm skating thunders again. Super happy with the swap.
Nothing like a good and trusty set of raws.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #5522 on: June 22, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »
 I was riding stage 11 149 hollows with the cast baseplate/hollow kingpin and my buddy hooked me up with stage 10 159 hangers.  So now I'm on a set of frankentruck 159s on an 8.5 vx deck.  I like it better for just about everything over 149s on an 8.5. I also like it better than 149s on an 8.25.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #5523 on: June 22, 2019, 10:19:12 AM »
Do Venture Highs get ghost pop like in Indy’s? I don’t get the big change in height between the low and High?

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #5524 on: June 22, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »
I’m neurotic enough about everything else in the world so I don’t read this thread cause I don’t think about my trucks ever, but one of my bushings I could pull off with out taking the hanger so I bought bones bushings. I bought medium and just skate them for the first time today. I will always do that for the rest of my life. I’m skating Indy’s. My next pair will probably be ventures but seriously so much better. It makes crunchy corn cornel popping sound but it’s sick.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5525 on: June 23, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »
Do Venture Highs get ghost pop like in Indy’s? I don’t get the big change in height between the low and High?

Well, you can get ghost pop with any trucks if you’re not popping properly. With that said though, I think Ventures have the most amazing pop ever. Something about the tipping point (probably) just generally makes the pop real nice and the boards sticks to your feet on a normal casual ollie like crazy.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #5526 on: June 23, 2019, 01:27:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, you can get ghost pop with any trucks if you’re not popping properly. With that said though, I think Ventures have the most amazing pop ever. Something about the tipping point (probably) just generally makes the pop real nice and the boards sticks to your feet on a normal casual ollie like crazy.
My bad I think what I meant to ask was, is it easy to pop on a Venture high like say a thunder? Because I switched from Indy bc of the height and it seems like Venture highs are close to Indy height. I bought Lows they are great but I am interested if the geometry makes it feel the same for a High just less wheel bite.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5527 on: June 23, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »
I can't skate indy because of ghost pop on switch and nollie flips, but liked my venture his a lot

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5528 on: June 23, 2019, 11:54:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
My bad I think what I meant to ask was, is it easy to pop on a Venture high like say a thunder? Because I switched from Indy bc of the height and it seems like Venture highs are close to Indy height. I bought Lows they are great but I am interested if the geometry makes it feel the same for a High just less wheel bite.

I have almost no experience with low trucks but from my limited experience with high Ventures and Thunder 149s, I’d say that despite their height, Ventures are really easy to pop. I doubt they feel the same as the lows though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5529 on: June 24, 2019, 08:11:43 AM »
The venture highs are really high no? 

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5530 on: June 24, 2019, 10:27:09 AM »
I've got a question.  I had a pair of Mini Logo 8.38 trucks laying around and I put a reversed king pin in them (I had a set of grind king kingpins new in the bag that I found) just to try it out.   What do you guys recommend to lock the nut in place under the baseplate?  JB Weld, superglue, or some other thing?  I was just trying it out and I really dig the extra kingpin clearance but I don't want to have to remove my trucks to tighten or loosen it up as the bushings break in.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5531 on: June 24, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »
I've got a question.  I had a pair of Mini Logo 8.38 trucks laying around and I put a reversed king pin in them (I had a set of grind king kingpins new in the bag that I found) just to try it out.   What do you guys recommend to lock the nut in place under the baseplate?  JB Weld, superglue, or some other thing?  I was just trying it out and I really dig the extra kingpin clearance but I don't want to have to remove my trucks to tighten or loosen it up as the bushings break in.

Loctite liquid super glue on the edges of the nut, then loctite gel after it dries. Wait 24 hrs for the gel to dry.

Elderly Gentleman

« Reply #5532 on: June 24, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Loctite liquid super glue on the edges of the nut, then loctite gel after it dries. Wait 24 hrs for the gel to dry.

Much appreciated!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5533 on: June 24, 2019, 01:20:55 PM »

55 mm

Festivus

• Rep: 12
  • For the rest of us
« Reply #5534 on: June 24, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

55 mm

Venture highs with cast baseplates are 53.5mm.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5535 on: June 24, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

55 mm
[close]

Quite sure they’re 55 mm like Indys and 53.5 mm with forged plates just like Indys. Don’t have any Indys to compare them with anymore but I remember them being exactly the same height.

It’s quite mind boggling that still to this date getting official dimensions for skate stuff seems almost impossible. Other than width of boards which isn’t very important anyway. :o

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5536 on: June 24, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

55 mm
[close]

[close]

Quite sure they’re 55 mm like Indys and 53.5 mm with forged plates just like Indys. Don’t have any Indys to compare them with anymore but I remember them being exactly the same height.

It’s quite mind boggling that still to this date getting official dimensions for skate stuff seems almost impossible. Other than width of boards which isn’t very important anyway. :o
The cast venture highs are 53.5mm ala stage 10 indys. The forged models are 52.5mm

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #5537 on: June 25, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
I wonder why so mean people think Venture highs are 55mm.  Maybe they were before DLX? 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5538 on: June 25, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »
Just measured mine and they are indeed 53ish mm high. My bad.  :-X

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5539 on: June 26, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
What are the best replacement bushings for Thunder Highs? Just got a new set of 149's but the stock bushings are a little squishy for my taste. I noticed they sell Thunder bushings in tubes and in rebuild kits. Is one version better than the other? I used to use Bones hards with Indy's but I don't think those are going to fit the Thunders right.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5540 on: June 26, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »
What are the best replacement bushings for Thunder Highs? Just got a new set of 149's but the stock bushings are a little squishy for my taste. I noticed they sell Thunder bushings in tubes and in rebuild kits. Is one version better than the other? I used to use Bones hards with Indy's but I don't think those are going to fit the Thunders right.

Oddly enough I’m in literally the exact same boat. Got new 149 thunders to try something different. Skated them yesterday and the bushings seemed so soft. I’m coming off Indy’s with bones. I’m also 220 so everything but hards seem soft.

Ive looked on here about bushings and bones hardcores but I never found a definitive answer if they work in thunders. Secondly if they fit in thunders by forcing them  do they change the geo ? I thought I read that.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:13:54 PM by Murge »

Elderly Gentleman

« Reply #5541 on: June 26, 2019, 12:40:23 PM »
I have some Thunder team High 149s and I'm a fatty (around 225) so they were a little soft with the standard bushings.  I used Bones Mediums in them for a while and they seemed to work fine for me, but everyone on here kept talking about how that screws up the angle or something so my "truck madness" kicked in and I had to take that out.  I bought the Thunder 95 rebuild kit with the blue bushings and blue hardware.  I put that on and the trucks are WAY stiffer.  I'm sure it will loosen up the more I ride them but my madness has me messing with some other trucks and crazy setups at  them moment. 

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5542 on: June 26, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »
I weigh 255 and been skating 5.25 Titanium Ventures with stock bottom purple bushing,  red top doh dohs and Riptide pivot cups. best stability to turn ratio. Oh I also used one of those Titanium Theeve hollow kingpin. they lower the kingpin 2 or 3 mm from stock. on a 8.25 deck, planning on sizing down to 8.0

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #5543 on: June 26, 2019, 01:44:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oddly enough I’m in literally the exact same boat. Got new 149 thunders to try something different. Skated them yesterday and the bushings seemed so soft. I’m coming off Indy’s with bones. I’m also 220 so everything but hards seem soft.

Ive looked on here about bushings and bones hardcores but I never found a definitive answer if they work in thunders. Secondly if they fit in thunders by forcing them  do they change the geo ? I thought I read that.
The bottom bushing in a thunder bushing are a bit taller than bones. Plus when you take into account removing the washer as well as the taller bushing, the hangar sits differently. The angle it enters the pivot cup is stressful for it, it causes stress, creaking, or broken kingpins and bushings. To counteract this, always check the stock bushings and washer height, then create a combo that maintains that. So you can use the bones bushings with the black flat washer it comes with as the bottom combo. It matters less for the top bushings. Bones bushings with stock metal washers don't work very good they don't allow the bushings to work right, so in a truck like thunder where you need the bottom washer for height just use a flat one and it's all good. The thunder aftermarket ones have always been the best for me in thunders though.

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5544 on: June 27, 2019, 04:05:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The bottom bushing in a thunder bushing are a bit taller than bones. Plus when you take into account removing the washer as well as the taller bushing, the hangar sits differently. The angle it enters the pivot cup is stressful for it, it causes stress, creaking, or broken kingpins and bushings. To counteract this, always check the stock bushings and washer height, then create a combo that maintains that. So you can use the bones bushings with the black flat washer it comes with as the bottom combo. It matters less for the top bushings. Bones bushings with stock metal washers don't work very good they don't allow the bushings to work right, so in a truck like thunder where you need the bottom washer for height just use a flat one and it's all good. The thunder aftermarket ones have always been the best for me in thunders though.

Ah this explains a lot. Always had issues with bones bushings in older Thunders. Cheers.

Doubt I'll go back to Thunder anytime soon. Too hyped on the forged/ TI Indys.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #5545 on: June 27, 2019, 04:46:52 AM »
For thunders I used Shorty's Doh-Doh's. They're the right size/shape and the white ones are a really nice med duro that feel really good with the kinda tight/snappy feel that I think thunders have. The Thunder stock bushings aren't bad though, I lost one of my doh-doh bottom so I ended up switching to a combo of doh-doh top and stock barrel on my one pair and liked it so much I didn't change it when I eventually found the missing bushing.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5546 on: June 27, 2019, 06:24:15 AM »
Thanks a lot complements4u. I really appreciate the insight.

I’m gonna go skate after work today and see how the stock bushings feel. I really just like how bones return to center so easily.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5547 on: June 27, 2019, 07:12:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Ah this explains a lot. Always had issues with bones bushings in older Thunders. Cheers.

Doubt I'll go back to Thunder anytime soon. Too hyped on the forged/ TI Indys.

Have you found them worth the extra money? Looks like they're significantly lighter than the standards.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5548 on: June 27, 2019, 10:19:19 AM »
Working on my house (to sell), so my madness is taking a back seat. Always on my mind though is truck/deck combos of the past. 7.5 w/ venture low 5.0, 7.63 w/ Indy 126s. Insanity

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5549 on: June 27, 2019, 11:01:09 AM »
Working on my house (to sell), so my madness is taking a back seat. Always on my mind though is truck/deck combos of the past. 7.5 w/ venture low 5.0, 7.63 w/ Indy 126s. Insanity

Oh how I love transferring real world anxiety into something super meaningful like what trucks I’m going to use to suck!

Heed nothing: I have 5.0 lo, shit I have 5.0 hi. 5.0 is fucking narrow. Indy’s that narrow are psychooo. Boards that size are usually short, wb short, narrow tall trucks equal crazy tho. For me. I would like to emphasize that I don’t know shit. My current main 8.25 cuz it’s the Simon/Cory board. It’s way too big. But has a 14” wb. So it’s chill. But then I’m using ace 44s, and big ass wheels, and it’s as heavy as I am weak. So I hate it. But I landed some stuff. So maybe I don’t. I have no idea what works. None. Except MAYBE....maybe 14” wb. I’m sorry if you read this.
Buy all the shit, it doesn’t matter tho.