Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231886 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1175
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5550 on: June 27, 2019, 11:45:26 AM »
dylan and austyn skated bones med in Thunder trucks, and I think ive seen photos of Puig running bones med in thunders as well

hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5551 on: June 27, 2019, 12:09:06 PM »
dylan and austyn skated bones med in Thunder trucks, and I think ive seen photos of Puig running bones med in thunders as well

Quote from: art hellman link=topic=88869.msg2567257#

[img

Agree on seeing Lucas with em. Which throws off the idea that maybe the 149s worked with bones but not the 147. Very different trucks those two. Or maybe it’s a cast/forged thing? Or maybe they’ve always worked. Bones are rad, and I really like them in venture lows, almost everything else I, personally, just for ya’lls info on what I ride, as an authority on nothing, prefer just regular ass bushings these days.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5552 on: June 27, 2019, 02:23:53 PM »
Jerry skates bones in Thunders, MJ did, Tyshawn does, loads of people do. Prob no bottom washer either. But those were mostly older versions.

That aside- how did ya'll that have multiple trucks finally settle? I've got 2 of the same deck 1 with Ventures, but it's older, and another with Thunders that is newer plus Ace's and Indy's as well as a new deck in the closet. Want to end the madness, but I seem to never really stick with anything.

Reese

« Reply #5553 on: June 27, 2019, 03:00:14 PM »
Jerry skates bones in Thunders, MJ did, Tyshawn does, loads of people do. Prob no bottom washer either. But those were mostly older versions.

That aside- how did ya'll that have multiple trucks finally settle? I've got 2 of the same deck 1 with Ventures, but it's older, and another with Thunders that is newer plus Ace's and Indy's as well as a new deck in the closet. Want to end the madness, but I seem to never really stick with anything.

Right now I'm using ace on a board with F4 101a's and thunders on a different board with F4 99a's.. That's the only way I can justify it. Just ride

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5554 on: June 27, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »

I've been making myself skate just my Indys (standard 149s with aftermarket Indy blue 92a bushings).

Granted, I don't think my madness was on the level of some here...I just skated Ventures forever and felt obligated to stick with them due to a) my fetishized view of tech skating that I can't actually do, b) the fact that I'm tall and they stretch you WB, and c) the fact that they've finally become socially acceptable.

With the Indys, I just enjoy riding them more, which means a lot with my limited bag of tricks and I feel like my ollies/sw ollies/nollies pop higher. Also, the baseplate makes a very satisfying amount of contact when I'm doing noseslides on curbs and ledges.

Holding on to my ventures but I'm going to commit to skating these as long as possible.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #5555 on: June 27, 2019, 04:32:44 PM »
I liked using Bones mediums in my Thunders my only qualm was that the coned shape of that bottom bushing would sometimes cause me to twitch to the side on harder, slightly-offset landings. Kind of hard to describe but the heelflip I do in this line is a prime example. I’ll stomp the landing then it kinda causes me to turn out a bit. Don’t really experience it too much in the regular bushings but I noticed it a number of times with bones. Could just very well be my own experience tho, I liked how they felt in Thunders otherwise so it’s worth a shot if you’re interested

pauline_handsome

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #5556 on: June 27, 2019, 05:50:28 PM »
Considering going down to 144 forged Indys from 149s. Riding 8.25s exclusively.

Whats the general consensus here?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5557 on: June 27, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been making myself skate just my Indys (standard 149s with aftermarket Indy blue 92a bushings).

Granted, I don't think my madness was on the level of some here...I just skated Ventures forever and felt obligated to stick with them due to a) my fetishized view of tech skating that I can't actually do, b) the fact that I'm tall and they stretch you WB, and c) the fact that they've finally become socially acceptable.

With the Indys, I just enjoy riding them more, which means a lot with my limited bag of tricks and I feel like my ollies/sw ollies/nollies pop higher. Also, the baseplate makes a very satisfying amount of contact when I'm doing noseslides on curbs and ledges.

Holding on to my ventures but I'm going to commit to skating these as long as possible.

Indy pop is real. The pop of a truck is what makes me like it first and foremost. I laughed at reason a), only because I’m very similar. I don’t try to go over tech, but I set up widely different get ups, only to immediately try kickflip, switchflip, treflip. I’ve managed to do those tricks on a 9.25, asymmetrical board, with a 15”ish wb, 33 length and 169s....but it’s kinda horrible. What I’m trying to say is I should just skate a smaller board because I don’t go fast, out or down. Just flat. Slow. 

ballintoohard

« Reply #5558 on: June 28, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »
For me:

-Ace on a Polar was the best pop I've ever had, second was Ace on a Quasi Proto deck, 3rd is Thunder 148 on a Generator 8.25
-Indy wheelbite the most and are the most middle ground, probably best manual'ing.
-I can't manual or tailslide for shit on Thunders.
-Thunders lock into grinds the best and grind the best overall.
-Venture are part way between Thunder and Indy. Like a tippy Thunder that doesn't quite turn. I feel I also lock into grinds super well with them.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #5559 on: June 28, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
Recently got the CSX Hollows from Theeve, big improvements from their last gen of trucks, the cast on the hangers is a lot more solid than the Tiax's I had before, which seems to be better for grinding. These come standard with a hollow  axle and kingpin, but I just switched the hangers to my Tiax baseplates as I was lazy to undo the deck bolts, haven't noticed the difference in weight but also went down from 6.5's to 5.85's so that could explain that.

Front truck only has standard top washer and is always tighter than the back for me, back truck only has a bones washer on top (the ones that come with most bones bushings now) so I have the rattle without all the noise that comes with it and still running riptide pivots.

Those look very nice. Heavily considering them for my next truck purchase. Weird question but do you know how tall are the trucks are? Saw on some old threads that people were physically measuring them to around around 52mm to the center of the axle, but Theeve says 55mm on their site. Wondering if there's still inconsistency.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #5560 on: June 28, 2019, 12:11:10 PM »
Expand Quote

Quote from: art hellman link=topic=88869.msg2567257#

[img
[close]

Agree on seeing Lucas with em. Which throws off the idea that maybe the 149s worked with bones but not the 147. Very different trucks those two. Or maybe it’s a cast/forged thing? Or maybe they’ve always worked. Bones are rad, and I really like them in venture lows, almost everything else I, personally, just for ya’lls info on what I ride, as an authority on nothing, prefer just regular ass bushings these days.

I can't speak to any other combination, but I've run Bones hards on Thunder 147 hi (forged baseplate, no bottom washer). The geometry didn't feel drastically different, and I didn't wreck the kingpins or pivot cups. Although I didn't use them for long, because I hated the trucks overall.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5561 on: June 28, 2019, 02:28:59 PM »
anyone knows when the 5.6 ventures drop in europe?

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5562 on: June 29, 2019, 03:44:04 AM »
So I've skated these venture 5.25 lows a couple of times now and I'm starting to get used to them. Everyone says venture lows dont turn, but it doesn't feel that bad coming off the highs. They're super responsive for fliptricks. I used to often have tre flips where it didn't even pop, the board just scooped around. The immediate snap for tre flips and nollie flips is really nice on these. The pop feels a bit lower for regular ollies, but maybe I just need to get used to them more. I'm actually surprised how enjoyable these have been.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:47:59 AM by skatefresh »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5563 on: June 29, 2019, 08:14:08 AM »
So I've skated these venture 5.25 lows a couple of times now and I'm starting to get used to them. Everyone says venture lows dont turn, but it doesn't feel that bad coming off the highs. They're super responsive for fliptricks. I used to often have tre flips where it didn't even pop, the board just scooped around. The immediate snap for tre flips and nollie flips is really nice on these. The pop feels a bit lower for regular ollies, but maybe I just need to get used to them more. I'm actually surprised how enjoyable these have been.

Totally agree. Regular bushing for flip tricks landed, bones medium or hards for surprising turn ability

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #5564 on: June 29, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
Took my 149's of my cruiser and replaced the 148's on my regular 8.25 board. Probably the smartest thing i ever done, it feels amazing, i can't belive it took me this long to figure it out. I used to ride my setups back in the 00's with the axles wider than the deck, 7.75 with 8" ventures, but never really did it with wider boards. It blows my mind that 0.25 inches makes such a difference.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #5565 on: June 29, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »
Continuing the talk about washers and bones bushings
A friend of mine pointed out that the height of bones is the same as the height of the stock indy bushings, so if you remove the stock washers and just put in the single bones washer on top, you're messing with the geometry of the truck. If you have the old washers from a previous set of bones you can put them in the bottom to achieve the original geometry.
The other day i saw I'd blown out one of my bottom bushings so i was swapping it out for one from another board and thought I'd try his advice. made a crazy difference. Board felt like it was on stilts at first, but could tell from the first few tricks that it has added some pop to the board, and there's more wheel clearance so less wheelbite, and generally feels more stable. The kingpin nut doesn't screw down as far anymore tho, so you sacrifice some kingpin clearance.
Now the other board has two busted bottom bushings, no washers, and feels loose AF even with the kingpin nuts screwed right down. It's lost a bunch of pop and gets more wheelbite but it's pretty fun for a cruiser.
(fyi I'm on stage xi 149 forged TI indy's on both these boards)
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #5566 on: June 29, 2019, 02:57:00 PM »
A friend of mine pointed out that the height of bones is the same as the height of the stock indy bushings, so if you remove the stock washers and just put in the single bones washer on top, you're messing with the geometry of the truck. If you have the old washers from a previous set of bones you can put them in the bottom to achieve the original geometry.
The other day i saw I'd blown out one of my bottom bushings so i was swapping it out for one from another board and thought I'd try his advice. made a crazy difference. Board felt like it was on stilts at first, but could tell from the first few tricks that it has added some pop to the board, and there's more wheel clearance so less wheelbite, and generally feels more stable. The kingpin nut doesn't screw down as far anymore tho, so you sacrifice some kingpin clearance.
Now the other board has two busted bottom bushings, no washers, and feels loose AF even with the kingpin nuts screwed right down. It's lost a bunch of pop and gets more wheelbite but it's pretty fun for a cruiser.

i dont see how putting a washer on the top bushing messes up with the geometry.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5567 on: June 29, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i dont see how putting a washer on the top bushing messes up with the geometry.
dude...

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5568 on: June 29, 2019, 08:34:42 PM »
So I got another sesh in today and I love these venture 5.25 lows. My fliptricks haven't felt this good in a long time. The only thing I can complain about is kingpin clearance, but with a low it's to be expected. They turn fine for me honestly. I have them set flush with stock bushings and they are super stable and I can still carve a little. Switch flips feel on point. 😊

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:41:05 PM by skatefresh »

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5569 on: June 29, 2019, 09:29:10 PM »
The manual point for thunders feels really weird compared to indys

pauline_handsome

« Reply #5570 on: June 29, 2019, 10:33:21 PM »
The manual point for thunders feels really weird compared to indys

Yeah the wider WB will do that. I'm pretty over thunders now, not the quality or feel was bad at all. I just prefer the smaller WB of indys. I'm 5'10 so not very tall and found shorter WB better for manual and most flips.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #5571 on: June 29, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »
I run the blue doh doh softs no top washer on thunder 148 tianiums been that way for a year, my trucks are pretty damn loose shake a tiny bit. The doh dohs are amazing no blowouts, tears nothing. I ran bones soft on thunders no top washer and completely exploded that shit in 2 weeks, warranted those for another pair and they did the exact same shit. Been on doh doh ever since

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5572 on: June 30, 2019, 03:03:43 AM »
here's my super janky bushing setup born out of necessity that shockingly feels pretty good to me.

some super hard bushings on the bottom from a cheap set of trucks, original thunder bushings on top that are blown the fuck out, no bottom washer. with the top one being so soft and worn its loose as fuck and turns super well, but on account of the hardness of the bottom bushing it tends to stop turning before any wheelbite hits. still get it now and then and it's not an ideal setup by any means but it feels good and works for me.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5573 on: June 30, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »
It will take you ages to take out those trucks
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5574 on: June 30, 2019, 02:45:36 PM »
its the worst part about setting up a new board

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #5575 on: June 30, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
its the worst part about setting up a new board
Yoo I did the same thing awhile back on my thunders, hard as fuck bushings I think 100a thunder bushings, basically not usuable when I set them up. But then I tried them with no bottom washers and it felt exactly how you describe.

and

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5576 on: June 30, 2019, 04:57:30 PM »
Mmmmm imma POS cuz I thought that was a long bolt joke

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5577 on: July 01, 2019, 07:59:30 PM »
I wonder if Indy basically released the 144 and any new Indy’s after the 144 as secretly the stage 11.5

Cause I use to hate how tippy Indy’s height felt but I can’t get off how good my 144 are on this 8.1 lurkville

The 144 don’t feel 55mm at all, they feel definitely like 53mm a good medium, I can see why people like Indy’s now cause once you get the right size dialed in they are some good trucks

I’m running them bone stock, standard 144 cast solid with stock orange cushions and they feel great
yes

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #5578 on: July 01, 2019, 08:47:56 PM »
Came across this guy's axle nut preference, if anyone needs the idea:

In the comments he states they're "race car stuff".
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:50:01 PM by franquietits »