Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231396 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5580 on: July 01, 2019, 11:45:58 PM »
I wonder if Indy basically released the 144 and any new Indy’s after the 144 as secretly the stage 11.5

Cause I use to hate how tippy Indy’s height felt but I can’t get off how good my 144 are on this 8.1 lurkville

The 144 don’t feel 55mm at all, they feel definitely like 53mm a good medium, I can see why people like Indy’s now cause once you get the right size dialed in they are some good trucks

I’m running them bone stock, standard 144 cast solid with stock orange cushions and they feel great

Naaaah, don't go down that rabbit hole man. I will say they started to use better bushings in the last year or so. I just picked up a new  set of forged hollow 149's, the stock orange cylinders are the same as the aftermarket ones now, better urethane with the lathed faces where they sit against the hanger. I compared them to an older set of 149 stock bushings (from USA stamped Indy's) and those bushings looked like molded shit in comparison.

*Updated for a pic
IMG_7331 by J J, on Flickr

From left to right, bushing from deadstock USA 149's (I'd say 2-3 years old, but unskated), bushing from new forged hollows, standard aftermarket bushing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:58:58 PM by palelight »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5581 on: July 02, 2019, 12:21:45 AM »
Expand Quote
I wonder if Indy basically released the 144 and any new Indy’s after the 144 as secretly the stage 11.5

Cause I use to hate how tippy Indy’s height felt but I can’t get off how good my 144 are on this 8.1 lurkville

The 144 don’t feel 55mm at all, they feel definitely like 53mm a good medium, I can see why people like Indy’s now cause once you get the right size dialed in they are some good trucks

I’m running them bone stock, standard 144 cast solid with stock orange cushions and they feel great
[close]

Naaaah, don't go down that rabbit hole man. I will say they started to use better bushings in the last year or so. I just picked up a new  set of forged hollow 149's, the stock orange cylinders are the same as the aftermarket ones now, better urethane with the lathed faces where they sit against the hanger. I compared them to an older set of 149 stock bushings (from USA stamped Indy's) and those bushings looked like molded shit in comparison.

*Updated for a pic
IMG_7331 by J J, on Flickr

From left to right, bushing from deadstock USA 149's (I'd say 2-3 years old, but unskated), bushing from new forged hollows, standard aftermarket bushing.

Haha idk man they keep coming out with stuff in this industry secretly cause they know there would be an uproar if they announced something new and months later found out they needed to revise the design and can’t announce it cause people would be upset and want an exchange or return

Like when they started putting cylinder bushings in the Indy lows instead of the og thunder style cone bushings they always had and the hangars got a better polish and shape that seemed to have a little more clearance

And I’m just a kook about this but how the thunder 147 kept getting better designed, I have the first set of thunder 147 II and 2 years later got another set and they were made a lot better and then a year ago got some hollow lights with the 147 engraved near the axle and they’re even better and the even newer sets look like they’re a tiny bit taller

Even my ace 44 classics, got them when they were just out and months later saw them in the shop and they looked way better made compared to first stock

But hey you could be right about it just being the bushings cause those red after markets are so good and I can see why they would just revise the classic orange stock to be that formula, so stable but free
yes

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #5582 on: July 02, 2019, 07:30:51 AM »
I feel the madness creeping in. Can anyone make a solid case for Indy being someone who primarily skates ledges? I always feel like Thunder and Venture are my guys but I’m pretty short so sometimes I think their effect on wheelbase hinders me. The only thing that really bothers me is how Indys feel on crooked grinds, like it feels mushy and I can’t pop out of them nicely before slipping off the ledge (maybe I just suck). Does anyone else feel that way about them and/or found the solution?

ballintoohard

« Reply #5583 on: July 02, 2019, 07:34:08 AM »
Can confirm that Venture 5.8 V lights stretch the wheelbase out .125 inches versus Thunder 148 Ti Lites.

Overall I am enjoying my Thunders a ton, but my manual point feels way the fuck off. Debating what to setup next on this Grimple Stix 8.28 deck to end the truck madness.....

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #5584 on: July 02, 2019, 07:51:23 AM »
I feel the madness creeping in. Can anyone make a solid case for Indy being someone who primarily skates ledges? I always feel like Thunder and Venture are my guys but I’m pretty short so sometimes I think their effect on wheelbase hinders me. The only thing that really bothers me is how Indys feel on crooked grinds, like it feels mushy and I can’t pop out of them nicely before slipping off the ledge (maybe I just suck). Does anyone else feel that way about them and/or found the solution?

Mushy how? Like too much pinch/play while grinding? I don’t think I understand.

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #5585 on: July 02, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, for me they just never seem to settle into a nice pinch with that resistance/potential energy/rebound feel that allows you to pop out nicely. Could be that when I tried them I never got a good enough crooked grind groove going so that extra metal when compared to Thunders was throwing me off, or maybe I simply had them set up poorly. Bones bushings seemed to help a little bit but they still never seemed to crook as good as Thunders.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5586 on: July 02, 2019, 09:54:13 AM »
I'm a pretty bad skater but I've been really good at crooks as well as fakie ollie to switch 5-0s. Can pop both out in the middle of a ledge any which way. IMO Thunders feel the best at these tricks and Ace/Indy had the worst pinch.

Think of it this way- if Ace have a shorter wheelbase than Indy and Indy is shorter than Thunder, then this means that Ace are about 1/2in shorter wheelbase overall. Even .25in will change the angle of the deck on these grinds and if you suck like I do, then the the Ace/Indy nose or tail ends up higher and will take longer to pinch.

Growing up in the late 90's and early 2000's Indys were for hesh dawgs at the park or pool and I learned to skate on Venture lows and Thunders, so that could be part of it too. I feel that whatever you initially learn on can have a lasting effect on muscle memory and shit. Most dudes I know from back then also ride 7.75-8.125 boards and most stick with smaller/thinner wheels and older setups.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5587 on: July 02, 2019, 09:59:58 AM »
Had about 4 sessions on my stock Venture 5.8's, everything was going fine. Got a wild hair up my ass at the shop over the weekend and picked up some Bones mediums. Why? I don't have a solid reason, maybe cause its what I always have done with Thunders, I don't know. First session on the setup with the Bones this afternoon after work.

Glutton for punishment...
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5588 on: July 02, 2019, 10:43:26 AM »
Bones in ventures work real dope for me. Snappy.

TheLowerBack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #5589 on: July 02, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »
Any word on when the Venture 6.1’s will be available?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5590 on: July 02, 2019, 10:49:31 AM »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5591 on: July 02, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »
Any word on when the Venture 6.1’s will be available?

Early fall.  I'm assuming it will just be the standard "team" model with the cast baseplate at first and then v-lights

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5592 on: July 02, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »
Bones in ventures work real dope for me. Snappy.

This makes me feel better
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #5593 on: July 02, 2019, 11:37:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, for me they just never seem to settle into a nice pinch with that resistance/potential energy/rebound feel that allows you to pop out nicely. Could be that when I tried them I never got a good enough crooked grind groove going so that extra metal when compared to Thunders was throwing me off, or maybe I simply had them set up poorly. Bones bushings seemed to help a little bit but they still never seemed to crook as good as Thunders.

I think you might be right about the lack of a groove throwing you off.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5594 on: July 03, 2019, 07:57:49 AM »
I wonder if those titanium lock nuts would shred your axels and are they more durable too?

The other reason I can see people skating indys too is.....more truck.  I think it's pretty easy to grind through an ACE or thunder.  Indy has what seems like another quarter inch of metal.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5595 on: July 03, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »
I wonder if those titanium lock nuts would shred your axels and are they more durable too?

The other reason I can see people skating indys too is.....more truck.  I think it's pretty easy to grind through an ACE or thunder.  Indy has what seems like another quarter inch of metal.

Titanium alloys generally aren’t stronger than steel so I’d say not very likely.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5596 on: July 03, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »
Anybody know a good place to get replacement kingpins for Indy Stage 11 standards? Seems like most places just carry the low ones which would seem too short. Am I missing something?

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5597 on: July 03, 2019, 09:26:14 AM »
Does anyone have a good remedy for thunders kingpins? Been doing feebles on curbs lately and keep scrapping my King pin horribly.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5598 on: July 03, 2019, 09:55:39 AM »
Does anyone have a good remedy for thunders kingpins? Been doing feebles on curbs lately and keep scrapping my King pin horribly.

Switching to Venture

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #5599 on: July 03, 2019, 09:58:22 AM »

https://destructotrucks.com/collections/parts/products/hollowpoints-kingpin

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5600 on: July 03, 2019, 10:10:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True true

Switching to Venture

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #5601 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49:56 AM »
My set of ventures hi are grinded to the axle and my kingpin bolt is not even touched

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5602 on: July 03, 2019, 10:50:52 AM »
My set of ventures hi are grinded to the axle and my kingpin bolt is not even touched
nice

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5603 on: July 03, 2019, 06:36:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Titanium alloys generally aren’t stronger than steel so I’d say not very likely.

Im basing this on those TIH's which I assumed were some alloy, they were crazy hard and as a result grinded weird, and I think they shredded nuts....so I wonder if TI nuts would shred a steel axel.  I bet they'd primo spark!

On thunders and kingpins....I skate team baseplates w. Krux....works good....

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #5604 on: July 03, 2019, 08:07:18 PM »

Krux Downlow Kingpin w/ cast plates is what I used for my Thunders. Can’t stand the standard Kingpin clearance on them myself

Ventures have the best stock Kingpin clearance in my experience. Not only does it sit low but it has that “lip” on the edge of the hanger which is a big factor as well

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5605 on: July 03, 2019, 08:12:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Krux Downlow Kingpin w/ cast plates is what I used for my Thunders. Can’t stand the standard Kingpin clearance on them myself

Ventures have the best stock Kingpin clearance in my experience. Not only does it sit low but it has that “lip” on the edge of the hanger which is a big factor as well
id like to try venture but I’m scared I won’t like them.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5606 on: July 03, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »
Just found out that Ermico (Venture/ Thunder) moved to Mexico

and

Indys are now all China manufactured...

End of an era...

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5607 on: July 03, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
id like to try venture but I’m scared I won’t like them.
Just go for it. The highs are great. They break in nicely and turn similar to indys with a lot more stability and amazing clearance. Ventures are slept on. I avoided them for years because everyone always told me ventures sucked. I'm never going back to indys.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5608 on: July 03, 2019, 10:47:07 PM »
Just go for it. The highs are great. They break in nicely and turn similar to indys with a lot more stability and amazing clearance. Ventures are slept on. I avoided them for years because everyone always told me ventures sucked. I'm never going back to indys.

Alright, I'm curious, so whoever wants to chime in on this. For anyone that thinks their Ventures turn as well as Indy's, how are you running them, what sort of bushing setup? I've got a set of 5.8's I pull out every now and then in hopes that they'll 'work' this time but I never get the turn I want and they end up going back into a box for another 8 months. Nowhere near an Indy turn. I've tried stock, soft Indy conical's, Bones, and even Ace and Thunder bottom bushings with no bottom washer, and they still turn sluggish as hell. I'm not convinced in any way they don't turn, a lot of the Magenta guys, Yaje, even Westgate use them and they clearly aren't tic-tacking all over the place.... so I'm stumped.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5609 on: July 03, 2019, 11:27:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Alright, I'm curious, so whoever wants to chime in on this. For anyone that thinks their Ventures turn as well as Indy's, how are you running them, what sort of bushing setup? I've got a set of 5.8's I pull out every now and then in hopes that they'll 'work' this time but I never get the turn I want and they end up going back into a box for another 8 months. Nowhere near an Indy turn. I've tried stock, soft Indy conical's, Bones, and even Ace and Thunder bottom bushings with no bottom washer, and they still turn sluggish as hell. I'm not convinced in any way they don't turn, a lot of the Magenta guys, Yaje, even Westgate use them and they clearly aren't tic-tacking all over the place.... so I'm stumped.

IMO they turn just fine it’s just that the turn isn’t very deep at all. Tight spots & tranny without mad speed aren’t optimal with Ventures IMO. I’ve been running mine with Independent super soft bushings. I mostly don’t use them anymore though as Aces are so much more dreamy for me. Even getting a short wheelbase board doesn’t IMO help much to get a deeper turn from Ventures.