Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232437 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5640 on: July 06, 2019, 08:24:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Unsolicited opinion: Deluxe supercush bushings are better than bones bushings.

Currently using supercush 97a bushings in a set of venture 5.2 lows and they're turny, stable, and they snap back to center fairly well. From my experience, bones bushings crack at the plastic only after a couple of sessions. Therefore, i feel like these supercushs make your setup more reliable.
[close]

I guess it's just a bushing but I dunno why DLX doesn't market these more or even just come up with a hardware accessory brand....

Are they from the Thunder line? Or are they a thing of their own?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

ballintoohard

« Reply #5641 on: July 06, 2019, 09:46:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
139's or 144's on an 8 - 8.1 set-up?
[close]
I stand by the 139s
[close]

139+3 washers on the inside is almost as wide as a 144 too.  I think Rob Welsh told me that was his combo before 144's came out since he didn't wanna go up to 149 on an 8.
[close]

I am fascinated by this Welsh information. Tell me more.

P.s. not sarcasm

I was in 510 and he was there (Lakai rep). I was deciding between various board/truck combos (8.125 w/ 139 and 8.25 w/ 149) as they never seen to have any 144's and then he dropped that knowledge on me. Being a childhood Welsh fan I definitely got the 8.125 and 139's. He had them grab me some extra speed rings and I set it up like that with Classics and never looked back.

Supercush bushings look identical to the other DLX replacements but are different colors.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #5642 on: July 06, 2019, 10:27:09 AM »
He probably thought you were a pain in the ass and fed you some bullshit 😂

SirPizzaSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5643 on: July 06, 2019, 10:51:47 AM »
Will say that the thunder bushings are pretty good. Has anyone put thunder bushings in Indy’s??

Diocletian

« Reply #5644 on: July 06, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Would anyone here with Theeve/Ace experience say that Theeve’s possess the closest turn to Ace but have less wheelbite due to the oval yoke?
[close]

Yes.

Theeve prototypes ran on ACE baseplates, that tells you where the geometry wanted to go from the start.

Theeve are a less turney, more stable and lighter (TI variants) than ACE
Theeve are more stable than Indy when loose and more responsive
Theeve feel stable like thunders and have a similar level of responsiveness (responsivness for an Indy/Ace like truck feel if that makes sense)

Theeve have the least wheelbite of any truck I've ridden and I ride loose.

They're great, people just hate on them because of the logo, name or whatever the fuck (not indy/thunder or a forum fav).

My only issue with them is that in order to get them loose enough for my taste I have to run bones softs and have them super wobbly loose (shaking the board hanger wiggling loose) even tho when riding it doesn't feel that loose; they settle in when you have your weight on them.

That said, my two favs right now are Forged Indy running ACE bushings and Mini logos (running ACE bushings).

Thank you for your input, Xen! My problem is I’m addicted to Ace’s, however, I weigh 210lbs and it’s very hard for me to get them to be very loose without lots of wheelbite. Softer bushings aren’t of help, and harder restricts it just a little too much, even after broken in. My only thing with Ace’s that’s working for me is Bones mediums with the flat top washer on the bottom and no top washer. And a thick hockey puck of a 1/4” riser. I really want to eliminate the need for a riser, as I don’t like looking down and seeing it.

Indy’s wheelbite worse for me, and they don’t turn like Ace, so those are out of the question. Mini Logo doesn’t make a 9” truck, or else I’d be willing to try. But if Theeve can turn better than an Indy with less wheelbite, I will try them. Would you say Theeve may be the sweet spot for what I’m looking for?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:32:43 AM by Diocletian »

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5645 on: July 06, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
What's the baseplate clearance on nose/tail slides for Theeve?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5646 on: July 06, 2019, 01:04:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
139's or 144's on an 8 - 8.1 set-up?
[close]
I stand by the 139s
[close]

139+3 washers on the inside is almost as wide as a 144 too.  I think Rob Welsh told me that was his combo before 144's came out since he didn't wanna go up to 149 on an 8.
[close]

I am fascinated by this Welsh information. Tell me more.

P.s. not sarcasm
[close]

I was in 510 and he was there (Lakai rep). I was deciding between various board/truck combos (8.125 w/ 139 and 8.25 w/ 149) as they never seen to have any 144's and then he dropped that knowledge on me. Being a childhood Welsh fan I definitely got the 8.125 and 139's. He had them grab me some extra speed rings and I set it up like that with Classics and never looked back.

Supercush bushings look identical to the other DLX replacements but are different colors.

Joey Pepper said the same thing in some magazine.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #5647 on: July 06, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »
truck nerds

I'm looking into ventures now,

I have a pair of of the 8.5 hi's on my 8.75 "fun" setup, but I'm considering ventures. Should I get a pair of 8.0s or should I go wait to find some  8.25s? I ride a 8.25 MOST of the time, although lately I've been messing with 8.1ish

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5648 on: July 06, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »
I've been off a skateboard for a couple of years now and recently picked up an 8.25 Hockey board. I used to ride 8-8.125s on Indy 139s. The 139s feel a little too unstable on the 8.25, so decided to come on Slap to see if I should go with 144s or 149s.

Jesus Christ. I read through a few dozen pages in this thread and my head is now broken.

I turned into a bit of a headcase about my setups in my late 20s and early 30s when I started thinking more about shit like wheelbase. I'm 38 now and this thread might have just ruined me for good.

Thanks a lot.

Help.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #5649 on: July 06, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
I've been off a skateboard for a couple of years now and recently picked up an 8.25 Hockey board. I used to ride 8-8.125s on Indy 139s. The 139s feel a little too unstable on the 8.25, so decided to come on Slap to see if I should go with 144s or 149s.

Jesus Christ. I read through a few dozen pages in this thread and my head is now broken.

I turned into a bit of a headcase about my setups in my late 20s and early 30s when I started thinking more about shit like wheelbase. I'm 38 now and this thread might have just ruined me for good.

Thanks a lot.

Help.

144's
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5650 on: July 06, 2019, 03:10:01 PM »

Thanks a lot.

Help.

If you think you might bounce around to 8.38" or 8.5" then 149's would work with all of them, but if you're set on 8.25" then 144's. If you run wide wheels, especially concicals or conical fulls, the difference will be pretty negligible.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #5651 on: July 06, 2019, 07:08:46 PM »
truck nerds

I'm looking into ventures now,

I have a pair of of the 8.5 hi's on my 8.75 "fun" setup, but I'm considering ventures. Should I get a pair of 8.0s or should I go wait to find some  8.25s? I ride a 8.25 MOST of the time, although lately I've been messing with 8.1ish

Just stick to the 5.8s or try the 5.6 (8.25)
I ride 8-8.3 with 5.8 and have a 7.5 setup with 5.2

ballintoohard

« Reply #5652 on: July 06, 2019, 07:42:44 PM »
He probably thought you were a pain in the ass and fed you some bullshit 😂

I would agree except that he showed me his board and seemed really interested in telling me about this hack. And all I had asked was "Do you have any 144's".

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5653 on: July 06, 2019, 09:24:29 PM »
What kind of pivot cups work best with thunders? 

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5654 on: July 06, 2019, 10:45:11 PM »
I've been skating a set of Royals for over a year now (granted, I'm 40 and don't skate that much). I really want to try something different but not sure what. I used to skate Thunder's forever (10 years or so), then switched to Indy's for a long time. Got on a Crail kick (I'm still on it), that's why I got the Royals. I honestly don't mind them at all, I can't find anything wrong with how they skate at all. I just want to try something different on my next set up. Also, I'm cheap/poor and scour the internet and eBay for good deals. I've been looking at Ace 44's, Thunder's (the newer size for 8.38" decks), and those new size Ventures. Any opinions?

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #5655 on: July 07, 2019, 07:16:13 AM »
Truck madness struck me again. Got some Thunder 147 teams. Absolutely love the way the turn, so quick and responsive. BUT I simply can't fucking tailslide with them and its really frustrating.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5656 on: July 07, 2019, 07:21:53 AM »
If Ace low bushings fit Indys, I assume they will fit Ventures as well.  Going to pick some up when I get a chance because it could be amazing

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5657 on: July 07, 2019, 08:12:35 AM »
I've been skating a set of Royals for over a year now (granted, I'm 40 and don't skate that much). I really want to try something different but not sure what. I used to skate Thunder's forever (10 years or so), then switched to Indy's for a long time. Got on a Crail kick (I'm still on it), that's why I got the Royals. I honestly don't mind them at all, I can't find anything wrong with how they skate at all. I just want to try something different on my next set up. Also, I'm cheap/poor and scour the internet and eBay for good deals. I've been looking at Ace 44's, Thunder's (the newer size for 8.38" decks), and those new size Ventures. Any opinions?

More info needed. What do you like to skate? Wheel size? Etc.
I had royals in the very beginning of their act, and liked them a lot. They did the cynical crail thing and put out terrible product for too long. I had some about 10 years and had the best skating of my life. I don’t break stuff, I like the geometry

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5658 on: July 07, 2019, 08:21:46 AM »
Does anyone know if thunder bushings can go in Indy’s? I also want to know why the thunder hollow Forged are so low. I’ve clipped so many cones and fallen because of how low they are and they feel super fucking wonky. I put a 1/8 riser but I don’t know if that’s helped at all.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5659 on: July 07, 2019, 08:52:08 AM »
Truck madness struck me again. Got some Thunder 147 teams. Absolutely love the way the turn, so quick and responsive. BUT I simply can't fucking tailslide with them and its really frustrating.

Doesn't help much now, but the new Tensor AT design is basically Thunder with a more extended base plate.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #5660 on: July 07, 2019, 09:11:22 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks a lot.

Help.
[close]

If you think you might bounce around to 8.38" or 8.5" then 149's would work with all of them, but if you're set on 8.25" then 144's. If you run wide wheels, especially concicals or conical fulls, the difference will be pretty negligible.

Thanks dude. Yeah, that was my initial thought. I don't see myself going higher than 8.38 any time soon and potentially see myself going as low 8.125, so the 144s are probably a good bet right now. 

Super tempted to try out the Venture 5.6s after reading this thread. I grew up skating strictly Venture before truck madness got me by the balls and eventually settled on Indy.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5661 on: July 07, 2019, 10:02:15 AM »
^

same. been on the fence about buying a pair over the last week.

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5662 on: July 07, 2019, 12:08:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks a lot.

Help.
[close]

[close]

Thanks dude. Yeah, that was my initial thought. I don't see myself going higher than 8.38 any time soon and potentially see myself going as low 8.125, so the 144s are probably a good bet right now. 

Super tempted to try out the Venture 5.6s after reading this thread. I grew up skating strictly Venture before truck madness got me by the balls and eventually settled on Indy.
Try the ventures 😉

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #5663 on: July 07, 2019, 12:36:05 PM »
I started this year off skating 44's (the V2) and on a whim put my 144 Ti's on to compare.

Ace's turn is unbeatable, but I preferred the Indy's for how they grinded and the lighter weight.  I'm 6'3 and 195lbs, and found myself cranking the kingpins down a turn a turn and a half tighter than stock.  Considering new bushings, as I put a good amount of dough into them.  Someone mentioned Ace bushings in Indy's, so I'm thinking of that, or Indy 92's or Bones.  Any recommendations?

I could always go the v3 route, but have read on here about terrible QC issues.

plasticsurgerydisasters

• Rep: -2
« Reply #5664 on: July 07, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »
what are the chances that venture would ever make a truck with an 8.75 axle? all this venture talk has make me want to try them but I usually run 159 indy’s.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5665 on: July 07, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »
what are the chances that venture would ever make a truck with an 8.75 axle? all this venture talk has make me want to try them but I usually run 159 indy’s.

It's coming. Was in some new catalog already. Can't remember when though but it has been mentioned here somewhere.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5666 on: July 07, 2019, 01:19:01 PM »
I started this year off skating 44's (the V2) and on a whim put my 144 Ti's on to compare.

Ace's turn is unbeatable, but I preferred the Indy's for how they grinded and the lighter weight.  I'm 6'3 and 195lbs, and found myself cranking the kingpins down a turn a turn and a half tighter than stock.  Considering new bushings, as I put a good amount of dough into them.  Someone mentioned Ace bushings in Indy's, so I'm thinking of that, or Indy 92's or Bones.  Any recommendations?

I could always go the v3 route, but have read on here about terrible QC issues.

Try the Frankenstein: Indy ti hanger, ace plate.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5667 on: July 07, 2019, 01:20:35 PM »

BMC said something about fall drop?
Shop owner that knows was saying he was ‘waiting for them’, but I took it like he was waiting to buy some for himself and that it would be a few months.
Ventures are dope.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #5668 on: July 07, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »
Does anyone know if thunder bushings can go in Indy’s? I also want to know why the thunder hollow Forged are so low. I’ve clipped so many cones and fallen because of how low they are and they feel super fucking wonky. I put a 1/8 riser but I don’t know if that’s helped at all.

I run thunder bushings(97a) in my indys with flat washers because they don't make the Indy super hard bushings in conical. They work great.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5669 on: July 07, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »

Thunder bottom bushings are taller than indy bushings. Indys do sell conical bushings that are similar to thunder bushings.

I'm not a fan of forged baseplates either, it's kinda strange how a difference 1mm makes. Thunder team hollows might be your best bet if you like hollow trucks.