Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231829 times)

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5700 on: July 10, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
anyone know the wheelbase difference between ace and theeve?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5701 on: July 10, 2019, 11:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
6.1? So that means an axle of how many inches?
[close]

Somewhere around 8.75-9
[close]

[close]

maybe 144p can give us the low down on a release date.  DLX told me fall but with them appearing in the wild, hopefully it's sooner

And a review!! With the elongating effect of Ventures, I get even more lame (and I’m plenty lame) about short wb. So I hope I find some wide short boards.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5702 on: July 10, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »
I just switched from a 14.25 to 14.1 wheelbase with the same Thunder 148 ti lights. I notice on this deck I seem to land squirrely on everything (a bit of a wiggle). While I do suck, is this possibly a sign of too short of a WB for my height/style?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5703 on: July 10, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »
I just switched from a 14.25 to 14.1 wheelbase with the same Thunder 148 ti lights. I notice on this deck I seem to land squirrely on everything (a bit of a wiggle). While I do suck, is this possibly a sign of too short of a WB for my height/style?

Maybe? Someone else chime in please? I just notice wb on pop, maneuverability. I also suck. I would be interested in hearing more board sizing theories. Generally that has led me away from what I needed, but it was all interesting. The vast majority of board dimension to body sizing info I’ve seen ends up concluding that minimal board length should be 36”

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #5704 on: July 10, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
Adding to that, i saw a peek at venture 6.1s

Edit: ...

kinda interesting that this looks baseplate specific.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #5705 on: July 10, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
Expand Quote
anyone know the wheelbase difference between ace and theeve?
[close]

dude thank you
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1175
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5706 on: July 10, 2019, 12:28:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe? Someone else chime in please? I just notice wb on pop, maneuverability. I also suck. I would be interested in hearing more board sizing theories. Generally that has led me away from what I needed, but it was all interesting. The vast majority of board dimension to body sizing info I’ve seen ends up concluding that minimal board length should be 36”

i dunno, but I generally notice guys like Austyn, Daan, Lucas (sometimes), Gilbert, Max Palmer all ride boards where it looks like they have tons of room (i.e. longer boards) to play around with different foot placements.  i have no idea what the mechanic's are around it, but they make it look good. 

whereas busenitz, suciu, silas, worrest, hjalte, ishod, kenny (when he's skating a regular non-shaped deck), all ride boards that look like they fit just-right... as in, there's not a ton of room for moving their feet around on the board. but sometimes you see them change it up a bit.

and then guys like Kalis, Lucien clarke, and others skate boards that look pretty short and constrained as to the ability to play with their foot placement... which they have dialed, and dont need to adjust much anyways 

this answers nothing, but just provides something of an aesthetic take on WB
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:30:52 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5707 on: July 10, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i dunno, but I generally notice guys like Austyn, Daan, Lucas (sometimes), Gilbert, Max Palmer all ride boards where it looks like they have tons of room (i.e. longer boards) to play around with different foot placements.  i have no idea what the mechanic's are around it, but they make it look good. 

whereas busenitz, suciu, silas, worrest, hjalte, ishod, kenny (when he's skating a regular non-shaped deck), all ride boards that look like they fit just-right... as in, there's not a ton of room for moving their feet around on the board. but sometimes you see them change it up a bit.

and then guys like Kalis, Lucien clarke, and others skate boards that look pretty short and constrained as to the ability to play with their foot placement... which they have dialed, and dont need to adjust much anyways 

this answers nothing, but just provides something of an aesthetic take on WB

Dope post. True now that I think about it, re: board lengths especially those that you pointed out with the shorter boards.

Ultimately I’ll skate whatever, I just want something to complain about when it comes to treflips.

Some astute studying has been done

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5708 on: July 10, 2019, 12:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is that not the bottom of the hanger through the base plate?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

redcurb12

« Reply #5709 on: July 10, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »

a shorter wheelbase is going to be less stable but it's going to be hard to determine if your "squirrely" landings are a direct cause of this. something like the length of your tail can also change the way your board feels. so if the board also has a shorter tail AND a shorter wheelbase your feet could be closer together than you're used to.. and that can have an effect on your balance. having said that.. it could also just be your own shortcomings on a bad couple sessions.

14.1 is a pretty short wheelbase but paired with those thunders it should be a decent balance. it just won't feel the same because the wheelbase is shorter and the deck probably has a different tail/nose length, kicks, concave etc than your last deck

i think the best way to determine would be to measure your other deck, set it up and see if you really notice a difference in stability.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:59:36 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5710 on: July 10, 2019, 01:26:45 PM »
The madness caught me again, switched from Venture Low hollow lights to the Titanium highs. I think they are a litlle bit too high and the lows too low.
I think the perfect mix would be the low ones with the cast baaeplate and hollow kingpin like the Thunder Titanium Team issues.

I do not want to get back to Thunders as I rolled my ankles only with Thunders in the last years.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5711 on: July 10, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »
Hypnotist or Theeve.....

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5712 on: July 10, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
The vast majority of board dimension to body sizing info I’ve seen ends up concluding that minimal board length should be 36”

https://www.earthwingboards.com/product-page/hope-36

Have at it and let us know.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #5713 on: July 10, 2019, 02:22:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Is that not the bottom of the hanger through the base plate?

ah,  i haven't had Ventures in ages.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5714 on: July 10, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
My madness is at full effect right now, the shop I work at just got a massive re-stock of Thunders and for the first time ever I'm a little tempted. I've had one pair of 148's in the past but never really ended up liking them, though to be fair at that time I didn't even know wheelbase was a thing (I wish it stayed that way). I've been Indy my whole life and only recently moved to Ace, which I have no problems with really. I skate a lot of tranny - obviously Thunders are known for the opposite, but does anyone that skates mostly transition have any experience with them? 149 specifically. Not carvy enough maybe? Idk.

Cody Lockwood and Chris Miller absolutely destroy bowls on Thunders.

I ride loose and could never get Thunders to feel 'right' on transition when carving...did they work? For sure but they require a  bit more....control  ::)

ACE and Thunder could not feel more different in bowls. Skating ACEs in bowls are more forgiving, more fluid; I can hang on and turn away and recover from bailing if I hit a pocket wrong, with Thunders I eat shit (and moreso due to wheelbite). I skate sketchy as fuck (fast too) so something like a Thunder or Venture won't work for me as I need the carve ability to save my ass :P I prefer Thunders on street though (height+stability).

If you like ACEs in bowls, 149 Thunders won't make you love them, nor will adding a riser, it's the Geometry. Now if you ride tight (I think Miller does) then it honestly doesn't matter what fucking truck you ride really.

Non-popular opinion: Try Theeve. They and carve faster than indy (slower than ACE) but are more stable on center than indy (like a Thunder), especially if you ride on the tighter end of the spectrum.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5715 on: July 10, 2019, 02:51:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

a shorter wheelbase is going to be less stable but it's going to be hard to determine if your "squirrely" landings are a direct cause of this. something like the length of your tail can also change the way your board feels. so if the board also has a shorter tail AND a shorter wheelbase your feet could be closer together than you're used to.. and that can have an effect on your balance. having said that.. it could also just be your own shortcomings on a bad couple sessions.

14.1 is a pretty short wheelbase but paired with those thunders it should be a decent balance. it just won't feel the same because the wheelbase is shorter and the deck probably has a different tail/nose length, kicks, concave etc than your last deck

i think the best way to determine would be to measure your other deck, set it up and see if you really notice a difference in stability.
Prior decks have all been 35th North branded DLX Full SE 8.25 with a 14.25WB, just under 32in, 6.7 tail, hair under 7 nose. I am now on a Grimple Stix 8.28x31.6 (i think) with the 14.1 wheelbase. The kicks seem just about as steep, has slightly more concave.  First time skating it.

One thing I notice is how far forward my front foot is to get the manual sweet spot. I'm actually considering a DLX full 8.06-8.18 or so and giving myself more length.  Historically I felt and skated the best on Polar 8.5's with Ace's minus flip tricks so I sized down a bit.  Ace's on a smaller wheelbase feel outta control and I was ghost popping a lot.

I skated the prior decks (3 of em) with Indy's, Ventures, and Thunders. Overall I think the Thunders was the best combo aside from manuals and I got way less wheelbite than with Indys.

redcurb12

« Reply #5716 on: July 10, 2019, 03:54:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Prior decks have all been 35th North branded DLX Full SE 8.25 with a 14.25WB, just under 32in, 6.7 tail, hair under 7 nose. I am now on a Grimple Stix 8.28x31.6 (i think) with the 14.1 wheelbase. The kicks seem just about as steep, has slightly more concave.  First time skating it.

One thing I notice is how far forward my front foot is to get the manual sweet spot. I'm actually considering a DLX full 8.06-8.18 or so and giving myself more length.  Historically I felt and skated the best on Polar 8.5's with Ace's minus flip tricks so I sized down a bit.  Ace's on a smaller wheelbase feel outta control and I was ghost popping a lot.

I skated the prior decks (3 of em) with Indy's, Ventures, and Thunders. Overall I think the Thunders was the best combo aside from manuals and I got way less wheelbite than with Indys.

could be hard to get used to considering this setup is a lot shorter than your last 3 boards. why not stick to 14.25wb/32 length on thunders? that sounds like a great setup and one that's been working for you. don't worry about matching your board dimensions to your height... it really comes more down to personal preference. go with what feels right
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:59:25 PM by redcurb12 »

ballintoohard

« Reply #5717 on: July 10, 2019, 05:33:20 PM »
The madness dude, the madness. "Doing well on" is different than "Could do better on". There's so many variables now that I have no clue if I'm trending in the right direction.

Also I do not live in Seattle so I wanted to get boards approximately the same dimensions so I don't have to rely on just 1 board and shape.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5718 on: July 10, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

could be hard to get used to considering this setup is a lot shorter than your last 3 boards. why not stick to 14.25wb/32 length on thunders? that sounds like a great setup and one that's been working for you. don't worry about matching your board dimensions to your height... it really comes more down to personal preference. go with what feels right

I tried a number of combos and thunders on the dlx 8.25 SE was fucking great.

On the flipside the dlx 14.375 wb is magical with Indy's.

Head hurts...

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5719 on: July 10, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »
Expand Quote
My madness is at full effect right now, the shop I work at just got a massive re-stock of Thunders and for the first time ever I'm a little tempted. I've had one pair of 148's in the past but never really ended up liking them, though to be fair at that time I didn't even know wheelbase was a thing (I wish it stayed that way). I've been Indy my whole life and only recently moved to Ace, which I have no problems with really. I skate a lot of tranny - obviously Thunders are known for the opposite, but does anyone that skates mostly transition have any experience with them? 149 specifically. Not carvy enough maybe? Idk.
[close]

I ride loose and could never get Thunders to feel 'right' on transition when carving...did they work? For sure but they require a  bit more....control  ::)

ACE and Thunder could not feel more different in bowls. Skating ACEs in bowls are more forgiving, more fluid; I can hang on and turn away and recover from bailing if I hit a pocket wrong, with Thunders I eat shit (and moreso due to wheelbite). I skate sketchy as fuck (fast too) so something like a Thunder or Venture won't work for me as I need the carve ability to save my ass :P I prefer Thunders on street though (height+stability).

If you like ACEs in bowls, 149 Thunders won't make you love them, nor will adding a riser, it's the Geometry. Now if you ride tight (I think Miller does) then it honestly doesn't matter what fucking truck you ride really.

Non-popular opinion: Try Theeve. They and carve faster than indy (slower than ACE) but are more stable on center than indy (like a Thunder), especially if you ride on the tighter end of the spectrum.

Ace are definitely better on round wall but Thunders can be amazing once you dial them in. I switch between Ace 44, Thunder 151 and Ace 55 and I have to say its not a problem at all. Sure, it feels different but my main point here is Thunder can be very good truck for all round skateboarding. As for risers... risers absolutely do change the way a truck turns and feels. You are going to get a deeper more responsive turn if you destabilize a Thunder with a riser or two. Anyway, until Ace come out with an 8.75" truck, I'll still bust out the 151s from time to time.

I should add, the only difficulty I have is the timing on flatground pop because of where the axles sit on Ace vs Thunder but that's only a session or two of adjustment.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:31:26 PM by Serious Tea Drinker »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5720 on: July 10, 2019, 11:10:52 PM »
I'm constantly swapping out ACE and Thunders; If I'm hitting the bowl park, ACEs, the street park? Thunders. The little bit of both park? I usually stay with thunders. I like low trucks.

At a local park, using thunders I pitch myself due to wheelbite damn near every time doing a 50/50 (not on top, but around) a certain pocket in a speed line, and I've not once pitched due to wheel bite running ace or indy/theeve (always a 53/52mm wheel) in that same line, same spot. I can do that line without thinking on the other trucks but thunders...it's like I forget I'm riding thunders and go for the line like I would with those other trucks in mind but it doesn't work the same and I die.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #5721 on: July 10, 2019, 11:46:52 PM »
This thread is not healthy

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5722 on: July 11, 2019, 12:38:14 AM »
Ended up picking up 149’s and skated them briefly at the local mini. I’ve started skating smaller wheelbases lately and loving having a shorter board but the Thunders keep it nice and stable. Chucked some risers on just in case and definitely not hating how they turn yet, we’ll see what they’re like with wheelbite when I can take them out more.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 04:49:57 AM by texasplant »

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5723 on: July 11, 2019, 03:32:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty much nailed it here, turn better than indy's and can be easily stabled when riding them loose, a see a lot of their team guys who skate bowl have one rattling loose but then you stand on them they still feels stable when rolling.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5724 on: July 11, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »
Ended up picking up 149’s and skated them briefly at the local mini. I’ve started skating smaller wheelbases lately and loving having a shorter board but the Thunders keep it nice and stable. Chucked some risers on just in case and definitely not hating how they turn yet, we’ll see what they’re like with wheelbite when I can take them out more.

I personally think a 1/8 riser makes Thunders turn better.

Very curious about the new Thunder 161? I wonder if it will be higher... It might have to be...

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5725 on: July 12, 2019, 05:55:52 PM »

Very curious about the new Thunder 161? I wonder if it will be higher... It might have to be...

I think the riser might be why I’m liking them more than I did the last time I had a set. Anyone have any tips on how to get them looser without the kingpin nut barely being screwed down?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5726 on: July 12, 2019, 07:07:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think the riser might be why I’m liking them more than I did the last time I had a set. Anyone have any tips on how to get them looser without the kingpin nut barely being screwed down?

Softer top bushing.
Sand down softer top bushing.

A lo top bushing.
Sand down lo top bushing.

A soft, lo top bushing.
Sand down soft, lo top bushing.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5727 on: July 12, 2019, 07:17:08 PM »
getting some venture 5.6 tomorrow. excited about trying them out.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5728 on: July 13, 2019, 12:35:22 AM »
Messaged the Venture insta and they said 5.6 v-hollows will come by autumn... so I’m happy :) can finally try 8 decks to my satisfaction ha

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5729 on: July 13, 2019, 06:54:37 AM »
We're still talking highs though yeah?