Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231682 times)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5820 on: July 18, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
I got 4 sets of the Ti - 139/144/149/169 and only the most recent pair (144s) have had the nice pivot cups (although they still squeak.)  Half of them don't have the "titanium" printed on the hangar, either - but I weighed them and they are in fact Titanium. The washers have all been different on every pair, some come up to a straight edge and cut into the bushings and some don't.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5821 on: July 18, 2019, 11:56:23 AM »
I got 4 sets of the Ti - 139/144/149/169 and only the most recent pair (144s) have had the nice pivot cups (although they still squeak.)  Half of them don't have the "titanium" printed on the hangar, either - but I weighed them and they are in fact Titanium. The washers have all been different on every pair, some come up to a straight edge and cut into the bushings and some don't.

Which are you favorite? Why?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5822 on: July 18, 2019, 12:11:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Which are you favorite? Why?
If I had to pick just one to ride, I'd go with 144s due to the versatility of being lighter than 149s but still skate-able on an 8 (my tech setup is an 8 and my normal board is 8.25) The look of the 149s is still my favorite though.

I AM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #5823 on: July 18, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »
So I picked up some of the new made in china Indy Titaniums and here are the details -

First off the casting of the hanger is way better than the Ermico versions.  It's now flawless

The bushings are CNC cut but do appear to be different than the aftermarket bushings we've been using.  You can see by the color but this could just be due to them being from a different batch. 

New stock bushings on the right, aftermarket bushings on the left

New stock on top, aftermarket on bottom

The washers also appear to be different.  The stock on the right is slightly larger than the aftermarket on the left

Here's the biggest surprise and it's hard to tell from this shitty pic but the pivot cups are now WAY better.  They're no longer shitty molded plastic.  Now all edges are smooth and they actually have rebound when you pinch them between your fingers.  They're actually so nice that I'm going to hold off on putting my riptide cups in.

So I know everything made in china is supposed to be crap compared to USA made but having had 20 pairs of Ermico Indys, I can definitely say these are much better quality right out of the box
wow that's really dope. can you also do a top bushing comparison? 

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5824 on: July 18, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »

wow that's really dope. can you also do a top bushing comparison?

I already set them up but the top bushings are the same except the color much like the bottoms

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5825 on: July 18, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »
So I picked up some of the new made in china Indy Titaniums and here are the details -

First off the casting of the hanger is way better than the Ermico versions.  It's now flawless

The bushings are CNC cut but do appear to be different than the aftermarket bushings we've been using.  You can see by the color but this could just be due to them being from a different batch. 

The washers also appear to be different.  The stock on the right is slightly larger than the aftermarket on the left

Here's the biggest surprise and it's hard to tell from this shitty pic but the pivot cups are now WAY better.  They're no longer shitty molded plastic.  Now all edges are smooth and they actually have rebound when you pinch them between your fingers.  They're actually so nice that I'm going to hold off on putting my riptide cups in.

So I know everything made in china is supposed to be crap compared to USA made but having had 20 pairs of Ermico Indys, I can definitely say these are much better quality right out of the box

Much appreciated for corroborating this. I too thought the casting on the new set I picked up was pretty immaculate. Maybe Ace can slide into whatever foundry this is and up their game. Forged hollow Aces would be a dream.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 845
« Reply #5826 on: July 18, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »
I answered on the previous page but the All Terrain 5.75s are 8.5 and the older model Tens 5.75 are 8.375

Oh shit I'm sorry I don't even know how I missed that. Thanks man. I love your avatar too.

Here's further corroboration that they're using different bushings on the higher priced trucks. The 149 hollow and the GP are pretty much identical. And for whoever was asking, stock configuration is with the rings against the hanger. I didn't take pics but the stock Thunder's I got today all had molded bushings like the 139's do.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:51:47 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5827 on: July 18, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »
Expand Quote
I answered on the previous page but the All Terrain 5.75s are 8.5 and the older model Tens 5.75 are 8.375
[close]

Oh shit I'm sorry I don't even know how I missed that. Thanks man. I love your avatar too.

Here's further corroboration that they're using different bushings on the higher priced trucks. The 149 hollow and the GP are pretty much identical. And for whoever was asking, stock configuration is with the rings against the hanger. I didn't take pics but the stock Thunder's I got today all had molded bushings like the 139's do.

Thanks for the clarification

Dang all my Indy’s have the same molded bushings too

Man I wanna know if the new machined bushings are a better quality
yes

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5828 on: July 18, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »

Well you could just buy some of the Indy GP ones since they appear to be the same, but If you want I'll send you my stock ones. I'm going to put bones in eventually, and I effectively have 2 sets of the same ones now. They're small and light enough to fit in an envelope and I work for the gov't so I can mail small stuff for free. Just shoot me a PM if you want them.

I did skate to the store a little bit ago and though I had to crank them down a bit (I normally ride 94a or higher and tight trucks) I really liked the way they felt. Had that nice loose Indy feel but were still stable and responsive and I never felt like I was going to wheelbite or lose control. I still contend that Venture has the best stock bushings in the game but these are pretty damn close. Definitely felt better than the ones that came in my last set of standards.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5829 on: July 18, 2019, 08:58:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Much appreciated for corroborating this. I too thought the casting on the new set I picked up was pretty immaculate. Maybe Ace can slide into whatever foundry this is and up their game. Forged hollow Aces would be a dream.

Lighter aces would be so tight

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5830 on: July 18, 2019, 11:48:51 PM »
Got some 149 forged hollows and you can tell that there is a quality improvement. That's nice.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5831 on: July 19, 2019, 03:00:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well you could just buy some of the Indy GP ones since they appear to be the same, but If you want I'll send you my stock ones. I'm going to put bones in eventually, and I effectively have 2 sets of the same ones now. They're small and light enough to fit in an envelope and I work for the gov't so I can mail small stuff for free. Just shoot me a PM if you want them.

I did skate to the store a little bit ago and though I had to crank them down a bit (I normally ride 94a or higher and tight trucks) I really liked the way they felt. Had that nice loose Indy feel but were still stable and responsive and I never felt like I was going to wheelbite or lose control. I still contend that Venture has the best stock bushings in the game but these are pretty damn close. Definitely felt better than the ones that came in my last set of standards.

Thanks!! Cool yeah that would be awesome if you could let me try those new stock design bushings, I’ve had the old gp ones and they’re alright but I think they’re taller than the stock ones no?

I’ll pm you now

Thanks again
yes

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5832 on: July 19, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »
Rob you are correct. I didn't notice this last night either because of the poor lighting or the fact it was past my bedtime but when I just now took the stock ones out for you I noticed a few small differences. The GP bottom bushing is ever so slightly higher than the stock one but the tops seem to be the same. Also, the stock bushing is more translucent than the GP.

No idea what any of this means, but hopefully it brings on a few bouts of truck insanity.

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5833 on: July 19, 2019, 12:01:07 PM »
Regular Independent trucks suck with stock bushings and pivot cups. They turn well with indy replacement bushings and better pivot cups.

I'm currently running black conicals with hard khiro pivot cups, loose to in the middle. Conical bushings turn so much quicker.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5834 on: July 19, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
not liking these Venture 5.6 at all on a 14.38 wheelbase. The board feels great, pop is fine, but they just feel really tippy off the top with no real turn.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5835 on: July 19, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »
not liking these Venture 5.6 at all on a 14.38 wheelbase. The board feels great, pop is fine, but they just feel really tippy off the top with no real turn.

That's a pretty long WB and Ventures stretch it out even further so that will make it a little harder to turn. Have you tried a harder bushing? I love the Venture stock ones once they break in but that can be a bit of a process. I've always been of the opinion that it isn't so much that Ventures don't turn as they turn in a different way from say an Indy or Ace - it's like you move in straight lines rather than the flowing curved lines of an Indy.

How tight are you riding them? I've always felt that I got the best performance out of Ventures keeping them fairly tight and really leaning on them but that's the lo version, I dont think I've ever skated the hi.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5836 on: July 19, 2019, 04:46:48 PM »
Nah lemme be clear- I haven't liked them on any wheelbase. I have been riding Thunders on a 14.25 and 14.38 and it is about the same total wheelbase.  They both have the same feeling manual point more or less.

I'm not sure why I would want a harder bushing. I don't mind the top flop and prefer it, but it quickly bottoms out and, like you said, doesn't really have a curve. To me this is a unique feeling considering it doesn't happen with my Thunders, Indy, or Ace.

They're 5.6 Hi. So far I've gone 1 full turn from stock and it just makes the top flop more severe.  My Thunders I skate about 1/2 to a full turn looser than stock with the stock bushings, Indy's I use the 90A aftermarket about even with the top of the axle and I have never once touched my Ace.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5837 on: July 19, 2019, 06:02:33 PM »
I've been struggling with 5.8s

First let me say that the pop is great, and they're nice and stable and the TI are fucking stupid ass light.

Stupid ass light.

Flat ground tricks and ollies are no problem, tranny work is a struggle, moreso compared to Thunders.

Riding on 14.25" WB, I wouldn't go any longer than that.
I've tried stock, they feel pretty good?
Tried ACE bottoms, low ace tops (much softer than stocks), they felt pretty good.
Tried newish bones mediums; felt terrible. Sooooo stiff.
Tried newish bones mediums with soft tops, better...
Swapped for broken in bones softs, these feel pretty good but wheelbite hell now.

Dropped back onto Indys a few days after and kinda hated it...I was so unstable and all over the fucking place.

Ventures are voodoo.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5838 on: July 19, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »
I did notice the switch from 5.8 V Lights to 5.6 cast- they have .125 to .15ish longer wheelbase per truck. The 5.6 are almost dead on with my Thunder 148 Ti Lights.

Like you I also like them in a straight line and for many flatground tricks.  I think I prefer the marginally lower height of the Ti's (I ride 52's) and like the Thunder pinch in grinds.  The Venture baseplate length is nice tho.

So far I think Thunder and Ace are my sweet spot. Ace feel so much like Indy that I will take less wheelbite. Now to have a Thunder vs. Ace showdown and then sell my old stuff and never re-visit this thread.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5839 on: July 19, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »
i am a few sessions in on a new set of 5.6s. i came from fairly loose indys, basically stock/factory tight. i run these ventures factory tight as well. i noticed that it takes more effort to get the board to actually turn, like a more conscious effort. the trucks will remain stable when indys would wobble out, it's easier for me to keep the pressure for 360 flips without the board flopping out. at the same time, the new trucks force me to land my tricks cleaner and are less forgiving on lazy landings, tricks are harder to surf out. at first i needed to get used to the pop, but have really been enjoying how the board behaves when ollieing or doing kickflips. everything feels a little more proper popped.

ideally i'd like them to loosen up a bit more, but i'll give them a few sessions, before i toss the bushings in some boiling water before a session to speed things up.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5840 on: July 19, 2019, 07:04:06 PM »
Now to have a Thunder vs. Ace showdown

These are my two trucks of choice also. Very different trucks but IMO the best at what they do. Indy are a nice compromise between the two. I'm so tempted to try the new Venture 6.1s but these last few posts have sobered me up.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #5841 on: July 19, 2019, 08:15:20 PM »
😂 😂 😂 😂

Fuck you guys. Ventures turn fine.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5842 on: July 19, 2019, 08:21:12 PM »
Loosened them up another full turn on the way home and I can literally rock the board completely back and forth and it barely deviates from a straight line unless you just hang on the turn. Kinda annoying.

BMCsteve

« Reply #5843 on: July 19, 2019, 08:26:11 PM »
Dude with no shirt on skates ventures.  Maybe you guys just don’t know how to turn?

Also ventures

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5844 on: July 19, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

These are my two trucks of choice also.

Same here. Nothing but Ace or Thunders. Everything else is just about "compromise".

BMCsteve

« Reply #5845 on: July 19, 2019, 09:00:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same here. Nothing but Ace or Thunders. Everything else is just about "compromise".

Because boat anchor aces or wheelbite thunders aren’t compromising

Reese

« Reply #5846 on: July 19, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Because boat anchor aces or wheelbite thunders aren’t compromising

Ace/Thunder alliance is the way
I'm asleep though

ballintoohard

« Reply #5847 on: July 19, 2019, 09:47:02 PM »
Nothing is perfect. I somehow wheelbite Thunders wayyyyy less than Indy's. I never expected to be the one person this doesn't happen to. Only downside are the baseplates.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5848 on: July 19, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

These are my two trucks of choice also. Very different trucks but IMO the best at what they do. Indy are a nice compromise between the two. I'm so tempted to try the new Venture 6.1s but these last few posts have sobered me up.

Night and day. Thunders take a bit more effort to pop. Ace trucks makes popping the board effortless. IMO they both turn fairly well but aces give you a better turning radius.

My only issue with aces is that the stock bushings are trash.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #5849 on: July 20, 2019, 12:15:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Night and day. Thunders take a bit more effort to pop. Ace trucks makes popping the board effortless. IMO they both turn fairly well but aces give you a better turning radius.

My only issue with aces is that the stock bushings are trash.
Do you ride the new ones? Because I honestly feel that ace stock bushings are best ones I’ve ever ridden, I tried homies older aces with those stupid small nuts yesterday and they did suck tho.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.