Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232450 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5850 on: July 20, 2019, 06:21:41 AM »
Dude with no shirt on skates ventures.  Maybe you guys just don’t know how to turn?

I've been discussing this in PMs with someone who loves his ventures and inspired me to get my 7.75/venture 5.0 lo set up out for a few sessions last week and really pay attention to them. The conclusion that I came to is that it's not that ventures don't turn, it's just that they turn differently from most other trucks. Granted this was on a small setup with tight lo's, it might be different with bigger/looser setups or the hi's, but as far as actual turning radius goes it wasn't really any different from my indys or tensors.

I actually do some mismatched 5.2 hi that I haven't tried so maybe if this hellish heat chills out a bit ill put them on a deck and give them a try.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5851 on: July 20, 2019, 07:02:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Now to have a Thunder vs. Ace showdown
[close]

These are my two trucks of choice also. Very different trucks but IMO the best at what they do. Indy are a nice compromise between the two. I'm so tempted to try the new Venture 6.1s but these last few posts have sobered me up.
[close]

Night and day. Thunders take a bit more effort to pop. Ace trucks makes popping the board effortless. IMO they both turn fairly well but aces give you a better turning radius.

My only issue with aces is that the stock bushings are trash.

I find thunders pop way easier.....ie. I whiff Nollies less frequently w. Thunders.  Thunders are considerably lower.  Weight is a big reason to skate thunders.  Wheel bite and turning radius are on the Ace side...

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5852 on: July 20, 2019, 07:14:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

These are my two trucks of choice also. Very different trucks but IMO the best at what they do. Indy are a nice compromise between the two. I'm so tempted to try the new Venture 6.1s but these last few posts have sobered me up.
[close]

Night and day. Thunders take a bit more effort to pop. Ace trucks makes popping the board effortless. IMO they both turn fairly well but aces give you a better turning radius.

[close]

I find thunders pop way easier.....ie. I whiff Nollies less frequently w. Thunders.  Thunders are considerably lower.  Weight is a big reason to skate thunders.  Wheel bite and turning radius are on the Ace side...

I agree with this. I don’t get the lucky/lazy 3flip help from thunders that I sometimes get from Indy/ace, but the pop on everything else is way more accurate. As soon as I get frustrated pushing around on 52 mm wheels I go back to ace/Indy. (Same obviously with venture lo’s). Maybe I’ll get some of the super light venture hi’s (they don’t wheelbite for me)

ballintoohard

« Reply #5853 on: July 20, 2019, 08:04:24 AM »
I love 52's regardless, but do notice the same pop on Thunders. Also, my 5-0's are best on them, worst on Ace.  Although the most pop I ever had was on a Polar 8.5 with Ace's. I want to find a similar nose/wheelbase on an 8.25 or 8.18 if possible

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5854 on: July 20, 2019, 09:11:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I agree with this. I don’t get the lucky/lazy 3flip help from thunders that I sometimes get from Indy/ace, but the pop on everything else is way more accurate. As soon as I get frustrated pushing around on 52 mm wheels I go back to ace/Indy. (Same obviously with venture lo’s). Maybe I’ll get some of the super light venture hi’s (they don’t wheelbite for me)

Oh yeah, I was referring to the Ace lows. I get way too much ghost pop with ace highs.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5855 on: July 20, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »
Never had the lo. Soft place for venture lo, but that’s the only one I’ve fucked with. What the max wheel size you can use?

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5856 on: July 20, 2019, 10:49:49 AM »
Never had the lo. Soft place for venture lo, but that’s the only one I’ve fucked with. What the max wheel size you can use?
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Do you ride the new ones? Because I honestly feel that ace stock bushings are best ones I’ve ever ridden, I tried homies older aces with those stupid small nuts yesterday and they did suck tho.

Are the new ones the ones with bushings that pop out of the washers?

With the amount of wheel bite that I get with venture lows, I wouldn't go with anything past 50s

ballintoohard

« Reply #5857 on: July 20, 2019, 11:27:39 AM »

I basically only skated Venture Lo growing up minus the few times my grandma got me a Christmas complete and I attempted to skate Furys and Tensors. Honestly 50 is the biggest I preferred, 51 and deal with a bit of bite until they wear in. 52 and you better like ur shit tiiiiight

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5858 on: July 20, 2019, 11:38:07 AM »
Maybe I’m super wack (I am) but damn, pushing anywhere on 50 is not hot. I skate better on lo trucks, especially now being extra dusty and perpetually tired, but having to carry my shit to the spot hurts

Diocletian

« Reply #5859 on: July 20, 2019, 04:39:19 PM »
So I received my Theeve TiAX’s in the mail and noticed one of the trucks is significantly heavier than the other. Both had the TiAX indicator on the hanger, identical looking axles so it’s hard to tell titanium vs chromoly like Indy’s, their TI’s have a blueish haze axle. I also had my lady confirm holding each one together and separately so I could have a second opinion. Unfortunately I don’t have a scale. But I’m sending them back. Messing with my OCD. Guess I’ll never be skating Theeve’s :-*

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5860 on: July 21, 2019, 06:26:31 AM »
Make a balance with a plank of wood and some deodorant. Place one truck on each side and see if it still balances.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5861 on: July 21, 2019, 06:52:51 AM »
So I received my Theeve TiAX’s in the mail and noticed one of the trucks is significantly heavier than the other. Both had the TiAX indicator on the hanger, identical looking axles so it’s hard to tell titanium vs chromoly like Indy’s, their TI’s have a blueish haze axle. I also had my lady confirm holding each one together and separately so I could have a second opinion. Unfortunately I don’t have a scale. But I’m sending them back. Messing with my OCD. Guess I’ll never be skating Theeve’s :-*

Take a magnet and try to stick it to the axles.  If they're steel, the magnet will stick.  if they're titanium, it will not.

If both trucks have titanium axles, the weight difference is probably in your head.  The biggest weight difference that I've found between two identical trucks is 5g which is roughly the weight of a single nickle

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #5862 on: July 21, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »
All this venture talk is making me want to put my 5.8s back on.  I run them with a flat washer on the bottom and top with Indy hard or medium hard thunder bushings and with riptide pivot cups and I have no problems turning.  They don't carve as deep as indys but are way more stable.

I'm on titanium Indy 159s now with risers and 56mm wheels and I can skate them on street/tranny but they are tippy and I get wheelbite everywhere.  Like try to do a 5050 on a ledge and land in wheelbite, do a slappy and get wheelbite and get pitched off.  I usually just live with it but the more street I skate the more I want to put my ventures back on.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #5863 on: July 21, 2019, 11:41:16 AM »
Honestly, you kind of deserve this. Buying Theeves....

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5864 on: July 21, 2019, 05:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I basically only skated Venture Lo growing up minus the few times my grandma got me a Christmas complete and I attempted to skate Furys and Tensors. Honestly 50 is the biggest I preferred, 51 and deal with a bit of bite until they wear in. 52 and you better like ur shit tiiiiight

Venture Lo is also know as a venture....

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #5865 on: July 22, 2019, 12:53:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Do you ride the new ones? Because I honestly feel that ace stock bushings are best ones I’ve ever ridden, I tried homies older aces with those stupid small nuts yesterday and they did suck tho.
[close]

Are the new ones the ones with bushings that pop out of the washers?

Expand Quote
[close]

With the amount of wheel bite that I get with venture lows, I wouldn't go with anything past 50s
Some people report it yeah but I haven’t noticed any of it, I skate them factory loose.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #5866 on: July 22, 2019, 11:38:20 AM »
Don't know if anyone has posted this before so my apologies ahead of time. I started getting the Krux downlow kingpins years ago and sticking them in indys, but you had to remove the truck in order to adjust them. I switched to thunders and the baseplate holds the nut stable so you can tighten them like a normal truck.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5867 on: July 22, 2019, 06:25:58 PM »
Might put my 8” back together today. Need to buy some trucks for it, would you guys go for 139 or 144? Keeping in mind I’m mostly skating tranny and am used to 149/159.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #5868 on: July 22, 2019, 06:28:18 PM »
Might put my 8” back together today. Need to buy some trucks for it, would you guys go for 139 or 144? Keeping in mind I’m mostly skating tranny and am used to 149/159.

Shameless plug here but I'll sell you some Thunder 147s for $25 shipped. Have polished raw or black sonora.

If you're dead set on Indys though (which I totally understand) I'd go with the 144s if you're ok with having a slightly wider truck than deck. You can get the FH ones for not much more than standards on amazon/ebay, but you might have to settle for red.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 06:30:14 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5869 on: July 22, 2019, 06:35:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shameless plug here but I'll sell you some Thunder 147s for $25 shipped. Have polished raw or black sonora.

If you're dead set on Indys though (which I totally understand) I'd go with the 144s if you're ok with having a slightly wider truck than deck. You can get the FH ones for not much more than standards on amazon/ebay, but you might have to settle for red.

Thanks for the offer, pretty set on Indy’s though! 144 is what I was thinking.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5870 on: July 22, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
Selling my 5.6 cast Ventures and 5.8 V Lites if anyone wants em. Pretty minimal use. DM me and I can text ya pics. Fucking out on those trucks.  Back to Thunders or Aces

Diocletian

« Reply #5871 on: July 22, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »
So I stepped on a dude’s 8.25” board at the park today. It had Thunder team 148’s with the stock bushings and washers. Kingpin nuts flush. I turned just as impressively fast and deep like my Ace’s. High rebound feeling from the bushings, could wobble back and forth slalom style, no wheelbite.

I have no idea what is real anymore.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5872 on: July 22, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »
So I stepped on a dude’s 8.25” board at the park today. It had Thunder team 148’s with the stock bushings and washers. Kingpin nuts flush. I turned just as impressively fast and deep like my Ace’s. High rebound feeling from the bushings, could wobble back and forth slalom style, no wheelbite.

Same. Set up my Team 149's out of boredom last week and forgot how much I dug them. I still get a little wheelbite, but so do my Aces....

Diocletian

« Reply #5873 on: July 22, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same. Set up my Team 149's out of boredom last week and forgot how much I dug them. I still get a little wheelbite, but so do my Aces....

Glad I’m not alone on this. My truck madness is back, now I’ll probably have to buy 151’s since it’s the closest thing I can fit on my 9” popsicle. 

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5874 on: July 22, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
Ben Degros reviewing ventures.  Turning just fine for him

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5875 on: July 22, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
Ben Degros reviewing ventures.  Turning just fine for him

More power to the folks who can make them work, truly. I gave the 5.8's a try about a year and a half ago, for about a solid 2 months. I could not get them to work for me or the way I skated. I think Venture's sick. Great branding. Tons of pros I back, but I couldn't do it. I'm against truisms when it comes to gear, so I'd never write them off completely, but for me, they didn't work.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5876 on: July 22, 2019, 08:27:02 PM »
Ben just convinced, me, I'm sticking to Thunder and Ace. His description of the turn was basically "Don't be a baby, they're adequate." Thanks Ben!

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5877 on: July 22, 2019, 10:47:19 PM »
Selling my 5.6 cast Ventures and 5.8 V Lites if anyone wants em. Pretty minimal use. DM me and I can text ya pics. Fucking out on those trucks.  Back to Thunders or Aces

How much for the 5.6 cast?

Been wanting a set but don’t want to pay brand new retail price  :P
yes

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5878 on: July 22, 2019, 11:25:20 PM »
Woah while watching Ben talk about the new ventures and mentioning how plugging them on a 14” wheelbase gives them a better turn gets me thinking

Maybe ventures were the best back then cause 14” wheelbase was the norm, cause small boards were the norm

The trends in skating are the reason why certain parts are better possibly, thunders are still leading in my opinion and they extend the wheel base but I think the geo covers the push out

Yeah Indy’s sell the most cause of that golden slogan “ride the best” And “preferred by the pros” but I feel thunders give the best performance and feel, you know ??
yes

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5879 on: July 22, 2019, 11:42:56 PM »
The set up I have right now is the best set up Ive had in years. getting all my tricks back.

I'm riding Ventures 5.2 Titanium with the forged baseplate stock purple bushings on the bottom and Red dohdohs on top. front truck flush and back truck almost one thread in. They feel a little loose specially since I weigh 243 pounds and the heat here in the valley is horrible (113° , 107° on a good day ..95° on great day) , it fucks with your bushings bad. but the wheelbite is minor and they turn awesome.

my homie that is "indy for life" really liked them when he tried my board out today. but yeah they turn way different then indys.