Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233187 times)

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6990 on: December 04, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »
Does Anyone have any idea on how to prevent baseplate holes from warping? Tightening up hardware usually helps prevent my trucks from sliding around but I had to retire a pair of trucks before because the warp was bad and doing a grind would make them crooked even with tight hardware.

Run longer hardware. That 7/8" shit always comes loose if you have cast plates and skate anything rough.

sneakpeekmeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #6991 on: December 04, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »
Does Anyone have any idea on how to prevent baseplate holes from warping? Tightening up hardware usually helps prevent my trucks from sliding around but I had to retire a pair of trucks before because the warp was bad and doing a grind would make them crooked even with tight hardware.

Tighten the hardware before and after every session a smidge.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6992 on: December 04, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »
Anyone mess with switchmade gold bushings. Their whole gimmick is that they always return to straight

I too am curious about this, but I assume they just do one generic shape that might not work that great for something like a thunder.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6993 on: December 04, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone mess with switchmade gold bushings. Their whole gimmick is that they always return to straight

[close]

I too am curious about this, but I assume they just do one generic shape that might not work that great for something like a thunder.
i wouldnt buy switchmade because i dont want to support micky papa.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6994 on: December 04, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »
If their already warped run a small washer under the nut to evenly disperse the pressure.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6995 on: December 04, 2019, 02:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Oh, I didn’t realize that was his company. I’m good.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #6996 on: December 04, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »
Yep, all the China Indy hate and yet they’re the best I’ve had besides old stage 7’s. I just got some Thunder 161’s though, so I’ll be trying these out stock at an indoor bowl soon. Will report back.

I am also back to Indies  (159 forged hollows) after bending an Ace 55 and I once again find myself in the "Aces are good but so are Indies and either one is honestly fine with me" camp, but with the edge to Indies.  The Aces feel so firm and stable in turns it's almost unrealistic, but they bend.  Indies, for their part, are much bouncier feeling but they turn just as sharp and don't bend.  Throw in that they're also lighter, don't have so many problems with axles being off center in the hanger, you can get them with forged plates, etc., I mean, it honestly becomes hard to stay too attached to Aces for the turn alone. 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6997 on: December 04, 2019, 03:17:02 PM »
I finally left the Indy camp, I never thought I would say this but I'm pretty happy with Krux
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6998 on: December 04, 2019, 03:37:53 PM »
I finally left the Indy camp, I never thought I would say this but I'm pretty happy with Krux

What Indies did you ride and what Krux did you get?  What do you like about the Krux?  The DLK is sweet but other than that I personally don't know the advantage they have over Indy.

Skatansfinest666

• Rep: 0
  • Everything skateboarding 🛹 • Avid THC enthusiast
« Reply #6999 on: December 04, 2019, 03:43:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hahaha Micky papa is too fucking lame! I’m right there with you!😂😂😂
D€€P_FR¿€D™️

Skatansfinest666

• Rep: 0
  • Everything skateboarding 🛹 • Avid THC enthusiast
« Reply #7000 on: December 04, 2019, 03:49:36 PM »
Indy 149 & 159 hollows
Old warn in Indy aftermarket bushings mediums  (about 1 year old)
No bottom washer & top bones hardcore bushing washer
Spitfire F4 full conical 99a 56mm
Hard luck 6 ball bearings (IMO best bearings for being on the cheaper end of the spectrum/ cost 20$ usd and have easily lasted 6 months)

p.s. I don’t ever maintain my bearings I’m really bad with this never lube em or clean em unless I’m changing wheels and I’ll do a quick wipe of dirt and surface rust but that’s about it 🤷🏻‍♂️. However I will state the nicer and more pricey the bearings the more I’ll baby em (ceramics I.e,)
D€€P_FR¿€D™️

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7001 on: December 04, 2019, 03:53:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What Indies did you ride and what Krux did you get?  What do you like about the Krux?  The DLK is sweet but other than that I personally don't know the advantage they have over Indy.
I was skating 149 forged hollow. Now I'm with Nora's pro truck, of course I took out that damn graphic with paint remover. I believe they're called V4.
For me they're like the perfect medium between Indy and Thunder. With thunder, because of wheelbite, I'll slam. With indy, because of better turning, I won't get wheelbite hence I can roll away. Krux turning is different, maybe "less good", and because of that pop feels better and I won't get that wheelbite that I get with thunder. They just have a different turn radius than Indy's, they work great for me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7002 on: December 04, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I was skating 149 forged hollow. Now I'm with Nora's pro truck, of course I took out that damn graphic with paint remover. I believe they're called V4.
For me they're like the perfect medium between Indy and Thunder. With thunder, because of wheelbite, I'll slam. With indy, because of better turning, I won't get wheelbite hence I can roll away. Krux turning is different, maybe "less good", and because of that pop feels better and I won't get that wheelbite that I get with thunder. They just have a different turn radius than Indy's, they work great for me.

Yo... sounds like my kind of truck but a little taller than I’d like.  What’s the wheelbase like on them?  I thought it was the same as Indy but if it’s between Thunder and Indy I’ll need to try some.

Diocletian

« Reply #7003 on: December 04, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »
Was able to skate my Thunder 161’s for the first time today. I’m running 56mm wheels on them and just the stock bushings and washers. They’re 1mm taller than the Team 148-151 sizes, so 53mm. Weather was really cold so I feel like it wasn’t the best chance to get a proper feel for them. At first they were super snappy and carvy, but I was almost getting pitched from wheelbite. Then, probably moreso due to the weather, they began to stiffen up and I had less wheelbite and kinda felt like I lost the snappy turn feel a tiny bit. Just did slappies and carved around.

I don’t know, I feel like I really don’t notice such a drastic difference between Indy, Ace, and Thunder these days, as I used to think there was. They all turn pretty quick when you need them to, and feel nice and carvy. I’ve taken Ace off my radar as the QC was consistently bad, and I like the look of these 161 Thunders so I’m just gonna roll with them till I hit axle or they prematurely break, but I’ve never had issues with them before. Thunders are a truck that aren’t underrated or overrated, they’re just solid and reliable proper trucks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7004 on: December 04, 2019, 09:27:30 PM »
Was able to skate my Thunder 161’s for the first time today. I’m running 56mm wheels on them and just the stock bushings and washers. They’re 1mm taller than the Team 148-151 sizes, so 53mm. Weather was really cold so I feel like it wasn’t the best chance to get a proper feel for them. At first they were super snappy and carvy, but I was almost getting pitched from wheelbite. Then, probably moreso due to the weather, they began to stiffen up and I had less wheelbite and kinda felt like I lost the snappy turn feel a tiny bit. Just did slappies and carved around.

I don’t know, I feel like I really don’t notice such a drastic difference between Indy, Ace, and Thunder these days, as I used to think there was. They all turn pretty quick when you need them to, and feel nice and carvy. I’ve taken Ace off my radar as the QC was consistently bad, and I like the look of these 161 Thunders so I’m just gonna roll with them till I hit axle or they prematurely break, but I’ve never had issues with them before. Thunders are a truck that aren’t underrated or overrated, they’re just solid and reliable proper trucks.

Honestly on the street any of them will work just fine, it just depends on how and what you skate (loose vs tight Tech vs Hesh, etc).

The only place I feel the gap widen is in bowls.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7005 on: December 04, 2019, 09:49:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Honestly on the street any of them will work just fine, it just depends on how and what you skate (loose vs tight Tech vs Hesh, etc).

I feel like this too. Skating ledges ect feel better on Thunders, even though I skate 90% transition. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on 151's but I don't want to hinder my tranny skating. I do want to skate more tech stuff lately.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #7006 on: December 04, 2019, 11:21:41 PM »
Wait....if all these trucks....'work'.....you saying it's just us? 

Koo-koo?

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #7007 on: December 05, 2019, 12:19:43 AM »

Koo-koo?

I think the answer to the primary question of what trucks are for you

How does it pop

I think about it a lot cause I’m crazy

But honestly

I think you can adjust any truck to turn the way you want eventually but how it feels is only obtainable finding which one is your pop

Height and the way it’s geo/turn radius are factors but those just basically equate to

How does the pop feel for you

Indy lows, thunder 147, venture low, and mini logo are in the 48-50mm height profile but they all pop differently

I’m just saying all this bs to justify my preference for royals and mini logos

I might look like a kook for riding them but for the way I’ve adjusted my skating from the beginning they work best for me cause I can’t fight that I was always a low truck fast pop guy

I just love that quick tail to ground response
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7008 on: December 05, 2019, 12:53:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Koo-koo?
[close]

I think the answer to the primary question of what trucks are for you

How does it pop

I think about it a lot cause I’m crazy

But honestly

I think you can adjust any truck to turn the way you want eventually but how it feels is only obtainable finding which one is your pop

Height and the way it’s geo/turn radius are factors but those just basically equate to

How does the pop feel for you

Indy lows, thunder 147, venture low, and mini logo are in the 48-50mm height profile but they all pop differently

I’m just saying all this bs to justify my preference for royals and mini logos

I might look like a kook for riding them but for the way I’ve adjusted my skating from the beginning they work best for me cause I can’t fight that I was always a low truck fast pop guy

I just love that quick tail to ground response

Aces pop the worst for me (compared to Venture, Thunder and Indy) but they’re still my trucks due to the turn and control and overall predictability. Why the pop is worse than on Ventures for example, I do not understand. Tried both with several different decks and Ventures always seem to have nicer pop. Logically thinking I can’t see a reason why you couldn’t get the exact same pop from Aces with what you can get from Ventures with the correct tail/nose & wheelbase measurements. 🤔 Granted, height plays a role here too but I don’t think it’s such a big factor really and could possibly be mitigated with tail/nose design.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7009 on: December 05, 2019, 01:40:08 AM »

Aces pop the worst for me (compared to Venture, Thunder and Indy) but they’re still my trucks due to the turn and control and overall predictability. Why the pop is worse than on Ventures for example, I do not understand. Tried both with several different decks and Ventures always seem to have nicer pop. Logically thinking I can’t see a reason why you couldn’t get the exact same pop from Aces with what you can get from Ventures with the correct tail/nose & wheelbase measurements. 🤔 Granted, height plays a role here too but I don’t think it’s such a big factor really and could possibly be mitigated with tail/nose design.

For me, truck brand and pop is relative to where you put your foot on your tail to ollie. If you're a dude who rides the tip of the tail, Venture/Thunders are going to make more sense. If you're more in the pocket, Ace/Indy. It's not hard science by any means, but think about it like a fulcrum point or a teeter-totter, there's a balance between where the fulcrum point is and the amount of pressure you apply to it. Ace's suck the wheelbase in so far that if you're popping off the tip of the tail, your timing will be off relative to when the tail hits the ground, how hard you're stomping etc. At the other end, if you pop in the pocket and you ride Ventures, the wheelbase being extended so far, you might be having to exert way more force than you should be. Again, all soft science, but something to keep in mind. 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7010 on: December 05, 2019, 02:51:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yo... sounds like my kind of truck but a little taller than I’d like.  What’s the wheelbase like on them?  I thought it was the same as Indy but if it’s between Thunder and Indy I’ll need to try some.
Regarding WB I measured and it's almost nothing less than Indy, I would say is the same and probable my measuring tape moved like 0.125mm or sth as little as that. Regarding height probably you can try like 1or 2mm smaller wheels than usual.
I always read 50/50 regarding Krux. They're awesome or they're utter shit. And from people I know who skated always good thing so I was really eager to give them a try. Glad I did + they have many sizes including a size 9
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7011 on: December 05, 2019, 03:10:06 AM »

Koo-koo?

You're tripping man. You suggesting I suck at Skateboarding because I lack the necessary dexterity, agility and propreception? And that the gear doesn't matter?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7012 on: December 05, 2019, 04:44:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For me, truck brand and pop is relative to where you put your foot on your tail to ollie. If you're a dude who rides the tip of the tail, Venture/Thunders are going to make more sense. If you're more in the pocket, Ace/Indy. It's not hard science by any means, but think about it like a fulcrum point or a teeter-totter, there's a balance between where the fulcrum point is and the amount of pressure you apply to it. Ace's suck the wheelbase in so far that if you're popping off the tip of the tail, your timing will be off relative to when the tail hits the ground, how hard you're stomping etc. At the other end, if you pop in the pocket and you ride Ventures, the wheelbase being extended so far, you might be having to exert way more force than you should be. Again, all soft science, but something to keep in mind.

There’s definitely something to that. Clearly noticeable difference in pop by changing your foot placement. I just changed my board after a few months from a 6.72” tail one to one that has a 6.5” tail and I’m having a really hard time adjusting to the pop. Also simultaneously changed my worn out wheels (around 50 mm) to new ones (54 mm).

Since breaking my leg a few years back I’ve had trouble getting my skating back. I was never good or had good pop. It took a good while but in general I am now back at where I was and partially even better but what has happened is that I seem to dig Aces with long tails and popping off the tip which suggests that I might still have some more pop strengthening to do. 🤔 Or then I just need to get used to the shorter tail and stop being a bitch. 😊

Anyway this is an interesting consideration for sure.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7013 on: December 05, 2019, 05:09:52 AM »

was the temp in the 30's? 1/8" risers? 
I was close to grabbing the 161's but I instead went indy 169. Haven't seen much here about the 161s yet, I'm taller/heavier and wanted some more height, 55mm for the indys. Keep me updated on your thoughts on how they break in.

Diocletian

« Reply #7014 on: December 05, 2019, 05:27:03 AM »
No risers, I really don’t like risers. I’m gonna try another outdoor sesh today. Should be the same temp but less windy (40ish F). Indoor here costs $14 and money is tight. Slappying sounds better anyways 🤘🏻.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #7015 on: December 05, 2019, 06:04:38 AM »
Expand Quote

Koo-koo?
[close]

You're tripping man. You suggesting I suck at Skateboarding because I lack the necessary dexterity, agility and propreception? And that the gear doesn't matter?

Whoa-whoa-whoa there buddy, pump the brakes. It's defo the gear, now just calm down and let me tell you all about these carbon fiber speed washers I have that make my fakie flips pop real good....
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #7016 on: December 05, 2019, 06:28:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Koo-koo?
[close]

[close]

Whoa-whoa-whoa there buddy, pump the brakes. It's defo the gear, now just calm down and let me tell you all about these carbon fiber speed washers I have that make my fakie flips pop real good....
I just blame the shoes or board.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7017 on: December 05, 2019, 06:41:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Koo-koo?
[close]

[close]

Give me 20, I'll pay double. You got any of that new hollow bolts? Trying to lighten my setup.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #7018 on: December 05, 2019, 07:42:20 AM »
Any idea when stage XII is going to happen? Been a while since XI came out, already scared of change.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7019 on: December 05, 2019, 08:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I feel like this too. Skating ledges ect feel better on Thunders, even though I skate 90% transition. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on 151's but I don't want to hinder my tranny skating. I do want to skate more tech stuff lately.

Ace will always feel better on round wall but don't rule out Thunders in bowls. 151s have always worked well enough for me. So curious about the 161s....