Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232727 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7710 on: January 29, 2020, 07:18:11 AM »

Nooooooo shit. Sending you a psychic gnar.

satan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #7711 on: January 29, 2020, 07:31:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm the lil guy in blue, right?
That back kick! Stylish. Good mechanics.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #7712 on: January 29, 2020, 07:43:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got you on it, that shit made me laugh

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7713 on: January 29, 2020, 08:00:17 AM »
If you like your trucks loose af using the bottom bushing upside down is the way to go.
I can't handle that looseness, put it on normal position  and Ace's with thunder 95 feel much nicer to me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7714 on: January 29, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
Haha, I thought you "liked it" the wrong way, what gives?

Diamonds and Wood

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7715 on: January 29, 2020, 08:26:44 AM »
If you like your trucks loose af using the bottom bushing upside down is the way to go.
I can't handle that looseness, put it on normal position  and Ace's with thunder 95 feel much nicer to me.
😂 fucking kook.

Diamonds and Wood

« Reply #7716 on: January 29, 2020, 08:31:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well actually you should send another PM whining about being a know it all neckbeard?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7717 on: January 29, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Well actually you should send another PM whining about being a know it all neckbeard?

Or maybe one day I can be a 38 year old who uses 6+ year old 4chan memes in place of human interaction? Project and deflect, hallmark of the fucking spineless.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7718 on: January 29, 2020, 08:40:05 AM »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7719 on: January 29, 2020, 08:43:14 AM »
Fuck it, not worth it.

Time for the monthly "truck thread went to shit" reset?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:51:58 AM by palelight »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #7720 on: January 29, 2020, 09:13:59 AM »
I’d expect this kind of ridiculous overly aggressive shit in the useless wooden toy section but not in the gear section.  It’s the section for nerdery and discussion. Not arguments.  I appreciate Palelights contribution,opinions, and gear experiments  in these threads.

Some of you dudes getting to serious over an upside down bushing. It ain’t that serious. 

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7721 on: January 29, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »
I’d expect this kind of ridiculous overly aggressive shit in the useless wooden toy section but not in the gear section.  It’s the section for nerdery and discussion. Not arguments.  I appreciate Palelights contribution,opinions, and gear experiments  in these threads.

Some of you dudes getting to serious over an upside down bushing. It ain’t that serious.

Apologies for getting too hot. I tried to take care of it privately but things happen, it's unfortunate. I'll take a breather and get back to what this place is for, you're right. 

Diamonds and Wood

« Reply #7722 on: January 29, 2020, 09:19:10 AM »
Nah, Palelight's a cock who wants to interject at any possible moment with some shit he considers himself a SME on... Trucks. I didn't do shit.

Diamonds and Wood

« Reply #7723 on: January 29, 2020, 09:21:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Apologies for getting too hot. I tried to take care of it privately but things happen, it's unfortunate. I'll take a breather and get back to what this place is for, you're right.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #7724 on: January 29, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »
Nah, Palelight's a cock who wants to interject at any possible moment with some shit he considers himself a SME on... Trucks. I didn't do shit.

Who hurt you?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7725 on: January 29, 2020, 10:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh I wasn’t directing that comment to you by any means. Ha that was directed towards diamonds and wood.

Lord Quas

• Rep: 18
  • enter the liquid realm
« Reply #7726 on: January 29, 2020, 10:43:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who hurt you?

hurt people hurt people, bro

Quote from: GAY
I've never broken a board and it's a bigger source of shame for me and my family than my homosexuality.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #7727 on: January 29, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »
Since this isn't a thread about trucks at the moment, here you go LQ.

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Diocletian

« Reply #7728 on: January 29, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »
This OG truck thread has its moments but it remains strong and always cleanses itself of those who don’t truly live the life of being an OCD truck madness/recovering truck madness kook.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #7729 on: January 29, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
So anyway, I just set up some Ventures and my god the pop is just so fucking good. I haven't used them in quite some time and it feels good to be back home. AWAKE 2020.

I figure I'll skate Aces on my wider transition board and Ventures for my regular board for forever. Truck madness cured.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7730 on: January 29, 2020, 03:30:52 PM »
So anyway, I just set up some Ventures and my god the pop is just so fucking good. I haven't used them in quite some time and it feels good to be back home. AWAKE 2020.

I figure I'll skate Aces on my wider transition board and Ventures for my regular board for forever. Truck madness cured.

Bout to order some (local doesn’t have any)and this got me stoked.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7731 on: January 29, 2020, 04:13:28 PM »

What size board and WB are you rocking them on? I got a pair that I'm itching to try but the thought of them extending the WB by 3.5" makes it hard for me to find a board to match. DLX boards would be a hard sell given most of them already have WB starting from 14.38 and up.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7732 on: January 29, 2020, 04:19:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What size board and WB are you rocking them on? I got a pair that I'm itching to try but the thought of them extending the WB by 3.5" makes it hard for me to find a board to match. DLX boards would be a hard sell given most of them already have WB starting from 14.38 and up.

What are you on right now? I'd just set them up and give them a go if I were you, and if its too long just save them for a shorter board later on. I switched from Indys to Ventures going while skating a 14.5 and it was a pretty big difference but got used to it after a while. Then downsized my wb to 14.25 after that and its been a pretty ideal pairing. In a way, it kind of allows you to get an idea of exactly how they are different from your other trucks while holding everything else constant.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7733 on: January 29, 2020, 05:02:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What are you on right now? I'd just set them up and give them a go if I were you, and if its too long just save them for a shorter board later on. I switched from Indys to Ventures going while skating a 14.5 and it was a pretty big difference but got used to it after a while. Then downsized my wb to 14.25 after that and its been a pretty ideal pairing. In a way, it kind of allows you to get an idea of exactly how they are different from your other trucks while holding everything else constant.

I'm riding a 8.3 x 31.9 x 14.4 paired with Thunder Titanium, axle to axle WB is around 17.6. Thinking of trying a pair of Indy 144 Standard to shorten up the WB. My ideal WB seems to be in the 14 - 14.25 range and most DLX boards (less the SE ones) don't come in that range. I got a pair of Venture V-Lights in 5.2 Hi and Lo, thinking of trying them on an smaller, shorter setup (8 x 31.8 x 14) in the future.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7734 on: January 29, 2020, 05:11:15 PM »
I see, yeah Ventures on shorter ish boards seem to be ideal for most people. But if you're itching to try them out it can't hurt on your current one!

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7735 on: January 29, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »
Expand Quote
shaved down my thunder stock bushings halfway. tried to take a hot knife to it at first and it was a butcher job. had to fix it up against my cruisers griptape. knowing i wouldnt be able to sleep without trying it out, i threw them back in my thunders went to the local ball courts in 30 degree weather.

with the nut flush they were at rattling looseness. within the first push i realized that i am not good enough to handle this twitch. pushing at full speed was a safety hazard and i dont have the balance to set up a trick when any sudden lean throws me. if you ride your thunders loose, mad respect to you. i tightened them to what would be a bit looser than flush with a regular bushing and it easily felt better than my reg tightness. my nollie back shoves were really on for the 45 min i stayed out.

not sure if ill stay on these bushings or go to a proper low bushing, but im sticking with a low top bushing from now on. i do want to get good enough eventually to ride almost rattly and i think the trick is to just let them get loose and never tighten them. with a couple threads peeking out, ill treat them like training wheels
[close]
Why though? Some weird pride thing? The only person that can ride thunders like that is Frank, and he's a 45 year old grown man with the body weight of a 12 year old boy. Just ride your shit stock and tight. Embrace the stability.

I love the sound of jinglingy washers in the morning. It sounds like victory.

It also feels good when someone who is really good trys to ride your set up and cant. I love that.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #7736 on: January 29, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's a Theories 7.75 x 31.375 with a 14" wheelbase. This is also the year of going back to under 8s.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7737 on: January 29, 2020, 06:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's a Theories 7.75 x 31.375 with a 14" wheelbase. This is also the year of going back to under 8s.
Had a similar sized set (Traffic) and pair those with Thunder 147 Hollow Lights but the length wasn't working for me. I like having a slightly bigger nose and tail, may revisit that setup again with Ventures just give that board another go. Hate to see it go to storage after just a few sessions.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7738 on: January 30, 2020, 07:34:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This is the ideal sized skateboard for me. I don’t have to fight it. Annoyed with myself for being trendy and not just riding what works

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7739 on: January 30, 2020, 10:31:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
shaved down my thunder stock bushings halfway. tried to take a hot knife to it at first and it was a butcher job. had to fix it up against my cruisers griptape. knowing i wouldnt be able to sleep without trying it out, i threw them back in my thunders went to the local ball courts in 30 degree weather.

with the nut flush they were at rattling looseness. within the first push i realized that i am not good enough to handle this twitch. pushing at full speed was a safety hazard and i dont have the balance to set up a trick when any sudden lean throws me. if you ride your thunders loose, mad respect to you. i tightened them to what would be a bit looser than flush with a regular bushing and it easily felt better than my reg tightness. my nollie back shoves were really on for the 45 min i stayed out.

not sure if ill stay on these bushings or go to a proper low bushing, but im sticking with a low top bushing from now on. i do want to get good enough eventually to ride almost rattly and i think the trick is to just let them get loose and never tighten them. with a couple threads peeking out, ill treat them like training wheels
[close]
Why though? Some weird pride thing? The only person that can ride thunders like that is Frank, and he's a 45 year old grown man with the body weight of a 12 year old boy. Just ride your shit stock and tight. Embrace the stability.
[close]

I love the sound of jinglingy washers in the morning. It sounds like victory.

It also feels good when someone who is really good trys to ride your set up and cant. I love that.

They just tip right off my board...but, I do the same on theirs because they're always too fucking tight...