Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231044 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8790 on: July 10, 2020, 04:15:39 AM »
I’ve never messed with my trucks in over 30 years until this year, when I started switching up bushings.

Tried my friend’s board with indys and no top washer.

Did the same, titanium 159s with bones mediums, no washers, and I love it.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8791 on: July 10, 2020, 05:04:47 AM »
ok so i have indys cause i focused my theeves (which i liked more) and im sorta over it cause they cant really tighten down enough to my liking so i get wheelbite 24/7, and im thinking of impulse buying either some krux or aces, if anybody has any opinions or comments on the matter im open to it.
Dont but Krux. The turn is worst and still the truck wiggles all over the place.

Maybe change bushings to something like bones hards? When they get broken in they are one of the best bushing i have skated. They are ridiculously hard at beginning tho.

sketchyrider

« Reply #8792 on: July 10, 2020, 11:16:16 AM »
i get plenty wheelbite with indys too, ive just learned to deal with it/skate smaller wheels.

you could give krux a try, but man are they weird.

they are floppy like everyone says, but the benefits of that is the truck is like instantly in pinch position when you go to lock in, and you can land kinda wherever on the board without worrying about stomping bolts. i feel like the floppiness can get to feeling natural when doing tricks in general, cause its not like the board is trying to return to center or quickly turn. hard to explain i guess.

i didnt hate em like everyone else but i couldnt get used to how they didn't turn quickly.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8793 on: July 10, 2020, 11:24:11 AM »
ok so i have indys cause i focused my theeves (which i liked more) and im sorta over it cause they cant really tighten down enough to my liking so i get wheelbite 24/7, and im thinking of impulse buying either some krux or aces, if anybody has any opinions or comments on the matter im open to it.

Don't be afraid of risers. You'll get used to them.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #8794 on: July 10, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »
I dont really need risers i just want the trucks to be a bit firmer until it gets to hard turning, it just sorta feels spongey and soft through the whole turn. Also too late on the krux i ordered some, worst case with those is that i have some spare trucks for a cruiser board now. And yeah ive messed with bushings alot, im running 2 bones hard bottom bushings on each truck currently, after reading that comment i think i might try two top bushings instead and see if that makes it firmer. My big problem is that im heavier and like tighter trucks so that makes it a bit harder to achieve that, not like nyjah tick tack tight but just it doesnt go full turn unless i want it too. from memory the mid range on the theeves was much better than the indys cause it felt progressive with the turn in and not the same amount of flop through the trucks range of motion. this is all for sure just some madness and i just need to get better at skating, but when the krux come in ill post up some impressions or something idk.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8795 on: July 10, 2020, 12:26:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Dont but Krux. The turn is worst and still the truck wiggles all over the place.

Maybe change bushings to something like bones hards? When they get broken in they are one of the best bushing i have skated. They are ridiculously hard at beginning tho.

I suffered through the Bones Hards break-in once, it was brutal. They last a long time tho and were 'permanent' new mediums...if you like that feel.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 07:39:11 PM by Xen »

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8796 on: July 10, 2020, 04:23:59 PM »
Are the aftermarket Thunder bushings, (the ones that come in the tube), a higher quality urethane or exactly the same as what comes in the trucks?

Juanjo789

« Reply #8797 on: July 10, 2020, 10:10:13 PM »

is this a 159

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8798 on: July 11, 2020, 04:40:07 AM »

is this a 159
Or 169. Only your tape measure knows for sure.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #8799 on: July 11, 2020, 06:55:12 AM »
Are the aftermarket Thunder bushings, (the ones that come in the tube), a higher quality urethane or exactly the same as what comes in the trucks?

I ride the deluxe supercush 97du in ventures and I prefer them to the stock green bushings. Did bones hard first, but like the stability that a barrel bottom bushing gives.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 10:42:34 AM by Big Baby Jesus »
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • personal text
« Reply #8800 on: July 11, 2020, 03:20:01 PM »
my 9" krux trucks came in the mail, first impressions is that they feel about as light or lighter than my hollow indys which is a trend ive noticed with other trucks, and the hole in the hanger is interesting, gonna go to the park later so ill update if i wasted $33 or not.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8801 on: July 11, 2020, 07:15:52 PM »
You'll know quickly....the turning radius isn't for everyone...

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #8802 on: July 11, 2020, 08:15:19 PM »
Anyone have an idea where I can find a replacement hollow kingpin for some 159 indy’s?

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • personal text
« Reply #8803 on: July 11, 2020, 09:59:13 PM »
so update, fuck indys i guess cause i put some bones hards in the krux and theyre perfect already when i couldnt get indys dialed in at all after years, if you want to carve well probably dont get krux but they turn good enough for me to get around some bowls, and i see what they mean by them grinding well, didnt even stick at all really on the ledges, solid 8/10 experience already.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #8804 on: July 11, 2020, 10:22:13 PM »
Anyone have an idea where I can find a replacement hollow kingpin for some 159 indy’s?

the thunder ones work. imo you need an arbor or hydraulic press to get them back in forged plates though.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #8805 on: July 14, 2020, 12:23:31 PM »
someone please help me. I got a pair of thunder 147’s about 3 months ago, they felt great off the rip. after breaking them in, they wouldn’t turn, bushings felt rock hard. then I got a pair of thunder 145’s about a month ago, felt great at first, after breaking them in they too wouldn’t turn!! what the fuck.

I’d first recommend putting wax shavings in the pivot cups, and also rub some wax on the bushings and washers. Try and skate them a little looser than before and work that wax in. If that doesn’t free them up, idk what to tell you other than just skate them more.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #8806 on: July 16, 2020, 08:22:53 AM »
Not Trucks but years back I read something about making your own base plates with polycarbonate and I had some laying around the house. The idea is that because PC is very hard it should not deaden Your board as much.

Update: After riding around I can say that these have more pop than any other plastic risers I’ve used. Adds 2 mm .

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:24:02 AM by GardenSkater77 »

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #8807 on: July 16, 2020, 10:48:00 AM »
Not Trucks but years back I read something about making your own base plates with polycarbonate and I had some laying around the house. The idea is that because PC is very hard it should not deaden Your board as much.

Update: After riding around I can say that these have more pop than any other plastic risers I’ve used. Adds 2 mm .

This makes me wanna get new risers. I use softer pads and couldnt tell if they were dampening my pop or if it was my rails, but one of the two made my pop duller.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8808 on: July 20, 2020, 11:30:35 AM »
Anyone know what the deal with Reynold's bushings is and why the top is cranked all low like that?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #8809 on: July 20, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »
He's 6'3" and rides tight-ish trucks.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8810 on: July 20, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »

I wasn't being disparaging, just trying to figure out of it was some other brand bushing. That is real tight and I truly can't imagine crunching a top bushing down that far.

Saying this as someone who is also 6'3" and a size 11.5 (and fatter than Reynolds).

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8811 on: July 20, 2020, 11:49:13 AM »
I think we can say he rides tight trucks. Those couldn’t be more tight. If one isn’t tic-tac shuffling after tricks then tight trucks shouldn’t matter. I’ve had the rattle loose and that’s cool, but I see more dorks trying to be something they not with the extra loose and safety hands, than I see tight truck tic taccers. Stop tight truck shaming

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8812 on: July 20, 2020, 11:50:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm just saying, that is real tight and I truly can't imagine crunching an indy top bushing down that far. As someone who is also 6'3" and a size 11.5 (and way fatter than Reynolds).

I weigh #175 and I can’t imagine he ways much more. I’m not sure how he turns. That looks like mega ramp tight

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8813 on: July 20, 2020, 11:59:57 AM »
Edited my post to clarify, but I'm not talking shit. Genuinely curious if anyone knew if it was modification or a swap. If those are the black 94 Indy bushings, I've put them in a set of 149s at stock tightness/no threads and it made them basically unturnable.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8814 on: July 20, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
Edited my post to clarify, but I'm not talking shit. Genuinely curious if anyone knew if it was modification or a swap. If those are the black 94 Indy bushings, I've put them in a set of 149s at stock tightness/no threads and it made them basically unturnable.

Dude my bad. I didn’t think you were talking shit, I AM talking shit, but was joking around. I’m sorry.
I ‘‘twas thinking the same thing re Indy blacks, and that’s before all of that exposed kingpin. Vert ramp shit

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #8815 on: July 20, 2020, 12:27:20 PM »
Another board from the Boss

Looks like he tightens the fuck out of the back truck and leaves the front one fairly normal. Must be weird skating switch when you're basically steering with the trailing end of the board.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8816 on: July 20, 2020, 01:02:30 PM »
That is wild, I guess he really does just crank one side down super tight. I know it is a common thing, but I always (and always assumed others) just do maybe 1/4 turn tighter in back.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #8817 on: July 20, 2020, 08:32:23 PM »
Anyone ever do the magic carpet ride? I like riding big boards, but the obvious is that they are a lil more difficult to flip around. After listening to Ishod's Stop n chat board discussion, been thinking about trying Thunder 148s on an 8.5. Thinkin about making it "tippier" in his words, might help get that board flickin around easier.

Biggest thing in my way is SW hasn't gotten a new shipment in what seems like over a month. Hoping they do soon. Otherwise, I'm gonna just be thinking about it, and bullshitting myself on this forum about it till they get restocked.

My biggest concern is for grinds, but might be more fun to learn shit. Maybe it's what I've needed in these past 15+ years.
The chillest1

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8818 on: July 20, 2020, 09:30:00 PM »
Anyone ever do the magic carpet ride? I like riding big boards, but the obvious is that they are a lil more difficult to flip around. After listening to Ishod's Stop n chat board discussion, been thinking about trying Thunder 148s on an 8.5. Thinkin about making it "tippier" in his words, might help get that board flickin around easier.

Biggest thing in my way is SW hasn't gotten a new shipment in what seems like over a month. Hoping they do soon. Otherwise, I'm gonna just be thinking about it, and bullshitting myself on this forum about it till they get restocked.

My biggest concern is for grinds, but might be more fun to learn shit. Maybe it's what I've needed in these past 15+ years.
or you could skip SW and support a real skate shop and grab those 148s right now and stop thinking about it, just sayin.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8819 on: July 20, 2020, 10:22:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
or you could skip SW and support a real skate shop and grab those 148s right now and stop thinking about it, just sayin.

148 are a great all round truck; wide enough for bigger boards and lighter than the standard 5.5 truck so nimbleness isn't loss when sizing up.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m