Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324756 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2430 on: October 12, 2020, 07:57:25 PM »
Thinking about getting a pair of new trucks. It’s either gonna be Thunder 147’s or 148’s. I’m on 149’s right now and been running it for 3 years now. I ride an 8.25 and my mind’s puzzled whether I should get the 147’s or 148’s. I’m 5’7 and my shoe size is 8. Idk which one will suit me better. I’ve ran 8” trucks on 8.25’s before but I’m a lot more curious if I magic carpet it with the same length.

Please help. Fuck truck madness.   >:(

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2431 on: October 12, 2020, 08:06:25 PM »
considering getting some Bronson Winkowski bearings. They’re G3s, and I’ve heard mixed reviews. Are they better than bones reds/big balls? mostly using them for street and park, nothing too dusty or dirty. Any input is appreciated.

Shalom

Hard pass on the Bronsons, friends don't let friends ride Bronsons:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=99391.msg3410281#new - guys on here got some good recommendations

Just watch out for fake Bones Reds, Swiss and Ceramic bearings on ebay and Amazon, both sites are flooded with them.

Thinking about getting a pair of new trucks. It’s either gonna be Thunder 147’s or 148’s. I’m on 149’s right now and been running it for 3 years now. I ride an 8.25 and my mind’s puzzled whether I should get the 147’s or 148’s. I’m 5’7 and my shoe size is 8. Idk which one will suit me better. I’ve ran 8” trucks on 8.25’s before but I’m a lot more curious if I magic carpet it with the same length.

148 for sure, I'm on a Santa Cruz 8.25 with 148 Titaniums and they are feeling perfect. I've tried 5.2 trucks on them but they just felt too small and the deck lacked the heft. To me it's about proportions - matching width and weight to the board for balance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2432 on: October 12, 2020, 09:18:52 PM »
considering getting some Bronson
stop that thought right now, next thing you know you'll be buying shake just griptape!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2433 on: October 12, 2020, 10:33:26 PM »
Expand Quote
considering getting some Bronson
[close]
stop that thought right now, next thing you know you'll be buying shake just griptape!

Heaven forbid, colored bolts and green wheels!

clutches at pearls
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #2434 on: October 12, 2020, 11:04:25 PM »
Expand Quote
considering getting some Bronson Winkowski bearings. They’re G3s, and I’ve heard mixed reviews. Are they better than bones reds/big balls? mostly using them for street and park, nothing too dusty or dirty. Any input is appreciated.

Shalom
[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=99391.msg3410281#new - guys on here got some good recommendations

Just watch out for fake Bones Reds, Swiss and Ceramic bearings on ebay and Amazon, both sites are flooded with them.

sounds like it’s time for me to try something new.. zealous ceramic is my next thought.. would be a shame to spend $115 on super reds ceramics to hate and/or inadvertently wreck them. plus, apparently self-maintained bearings are a thing now, so sounds good to me, a person who spends *probably* too much time cleaning and geekin  over bearings
niggling

[/quote]

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2435 on: October 12, 2020, 11:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Shalom
[close]

sounds like it’s time for me to try something new.. zealous ceramic is my next thought.. would be a shame to spend $115 on super reds ceramics to hate and/or inadvertently wreck them. plus, apparently self-maintained bearings are a thing now, so sounds good to me, a person who spends *probably* too much time cleaning and geekin  over bearings
[close]

Not too bad, I would argue that the Ceramic bearings you find off Amazon aren't too bad either. They're all from China but least you're not paying the prices of original Bones Swiss for fake bearings.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #2436 on: October 13, 2020, 12:21:36 AM »
Haven’t had a set in a while but bones Mediums.
Had them a while ago but, I used to ride tighter trucks. Maybe now I’ll really appreciate them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2437 on: October 13, 2020, 12:28:50 AM »
Expand Quote

Shalom
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

148 for sure, I'm on a Santa Cruz 8.25 with 148 Titaniums and they are feeling perfect. I've tried 5.2 trucks on them but they just felt too small and the deck lacked the heft. To me it's about proportions - matching width and weight to the board for balance.

Am I the only one who’s not bothered by bearings? I just clean mine with a spray that my friend gave me. I’ll send pics of it later. I buy the cheapest bearings I could find besides sketchy cheap Chinese bearings.

Also, I plan on getting Spitfire Conical Fulls 56mm 99a for both No risers. What do you think about those wheels paired with Thunder 147’s and a 8.25 deck?

Cheers

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2438 on: October 13, 2020, 05:03:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Shalom
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Am I the only one who’s not bothered by bearings? I just clean mine with a spray that my friend gave me. I’ll send pics of it later. I buy the cheapest bearings I could find besides sketchy cheap Chinese bearings.

Also, I plan on getting Spitfire Conical Fulls 56mm 99a for both No risers. What do you think about those wheels paired with Thunder 147’s and a 8.25 deck?

Cheers
(a) tight trucks
(b) masochist
(c) pro skater
(d) none of the above

if your answer is d, save yourself the hospital bills and or funeral.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2439 on: October 13, 2020, 06:25:57 AM »
Unless said 8.25 has wheel wells?
Thunders are pretty low, even on 54mm with risers I’d get wheelbite and my trucks were far from loose

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #2440 on: October 13, 2020, 09:39:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Shalom
[close]

[close]

Not too bad, I would argue that the Ceramic bearings you find off Amazon aren't too bad either. They're all from China but least you're not paying the prices of original Bones Swiss for fake bearings.
[close]

probably should clarify that the ceramic zealous bearings are $40 Canadian, so it's pretty reasonable
niggling

[/quote]

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2441 on: October 14, 2020, 08:07:40 AM »
vans x quasi tote bag
backpacks just havent been hitting the same recently.

only a few small things come with me every session. extra t shirt, skate tool, resistance band, shoe spray, liquid bandage, iphone charger, wax, and alcoholic refreshments.

moving with a half empty backpack between spots and the mta cant be the answer. especially when i have to take damn near everything out (awkwardly) to find the smaller shit. anyone rocking with the totes?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2442 on: October 14, 2020, 10:29:45 AM »
vans x quasi tote bag

only a few small things come with me every session. extra t shirt, skate tool, resistance band, shoe spray, liquid bandage, iphone charger, wax, and alcoholic refreshments.

moving with a half empty backpack between spots and the mta cant be the answer. especially when i have to take damn near everything out (awkwardly) to find the smaller shit. anyone rocking with the totes?

Inherited a Dakine backpack from my wife so that's all I use. I carry a lot of stuff with me to the session: 1.5L of water, electric screwdriver because the park is poorly maintained, snacks, skate tool all the extra bits, tripod in case the homie wants to film his technique, hand sanitizer, extra mask, wet wipes. Tote would be bursting at the seams.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2443 on: October 14, 2020, 12:08:05 PM »
Expand Quote
vans x quasi tote bag

[close]

Inherited a Dakine backpack from my wife so that's all I use. I carry a lot of stuff with me to the session: 1.5L of water, electric screwdriver because the park is poorly maintained, snacks, skate tool all the extra bits, tripod in case the homie wants to film his technique, hand sanitizer, extra mask, wet wipes. Tote would be bursting at the seams.

It feels so good to be able to go skate a city, with nothing on you. But it’s costly and wasteful (buying shit instead of bringing), and your session can get ended prematurely by some bullshit (equipment failure, needing that one thing you don’t have: extra contacts, shoelace, bearing, whatever).
I truly hate having my phone, but can’t seem to leave it behind.
Totes looked cool, I guess, for a moment, but I can’t see how they are practical compared to a backpack. This might be an age thing. This is probably an age thing.
In the end you still have a sack/bag of mixed hits and pieces king ratting away. Always sucks.
I use a nylon Jansport. Probably because of my age, thing.

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #2444 on: October 14, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »
dealer bags are the perfect medium. I either bring one of those or wear a fanny pack like a bandolier

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #2445 on: October 14, 2020, 03:53:47 PM »

Has anyone tried the eS Evant?

Or the eS Accel OG reboots?
For Your Health

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2446 on: October 14, 2020, 06:31:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
vans x quasi tote bag

[close]

[close]

It feels so good to be able to go skate a city, with nothing on you. But it’s costly and wasteful (buying shit instead of bringing), and your session can get ended prematurely by some bullshit (equipment failure, needing that one thing you don’t have: extra contacts, shoelace, bearing, whatever).
Totes looked cool, I guess, for a moment, but I can’t see how they are practical compared to a backpack. This might be an age thing. This is probably an age thing.
In the end you still have a sack/bag of mixed hits and pieces king ratting away. Always sucks.

Thankfully I live in a safe city in Asia, so I can leave my stuff unattended while I skate the park. A buddy just straight up leaves his phone outside his bag during the session and it's untouched for 3 hours.

As uncool as it sounds a fanny pack or sling bag would be really handy for carrying just the essentials (skate tool, spare bearings, bolts, shoe laces, wax), only problem would be a container for water. Some parks have water fountains but I'm not putting my mouth near a common use dispenser.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2447 on: October 15, 2020, 06:33:26 AM »
Totes are uncomfortable. I'd get a medium sized sling bag if I could find one. They look a little silly but would feel better to cruise around compared to having two backpack straps on you.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #2448 on: October 15, 2020, 06:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
vans x quasi tote bag

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thankfully I live in a safe city in Asia, so I can leave my stuff unattended while I skate the park. A buddy just straight up leaves his phone outside his bag during the session and it's untouched for 3 hours.

As uncool as it sounds a fanny pack or sling bag would be really handy for carrying just the essentials (skate tool, spare bearings, bolts, shoe laces, wax), only problem would be a container for water. Some parks have water fountains but I'm not putting my mouth near a common use dispenser.

I miss when phones were cheap and replaceable, sucks having to worry about your $1000+ iPhone while skating, whether its damage or theft. I wonder what everyone at a place like Love did with their wallets and keys an shit while skating.

Skating with a backpack sucks. All praise to The Muska.

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2449 on: October 15, 2020, 07:14:22 AM »
Thinking between e's evant and accel plus anybody know how they fit would like it to be more snug
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:24:44 AM by CaptainCheeks »

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2450 on: October 15, 2020, 07:55:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
vans x quasi tote bag

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I miss when phones were cheap and replaceable, sucks having to worry about your $1000+ iPhone while skating, whether its damage or theft. I wonder what everyone at a place like Love did with their wallets and keys an shit while skating.

To be fair there are plenty of good smart phones for 300 or less. I had a Motorola last years. If you drop a grand on a phone thats on you.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2451 on: October 15, 2020, 10:44:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
vans x quasi tote bag

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Only if your backpack comes with built in 6" speakers, if not GTFO. Everyone must know my love for Linkin Park's In The End (RIP Chester)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2452 on: October 24, 2020, 10:05:01 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation for durable and stretchy jeans, preferably with multiple discount codes? The pair of Billabong jeans I got is ripping at the ass area.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2453 on: October 30, 2020, 03:58:55 AM »
If today I can land a trick the ti haven't in years I'll treat myself with some Rowans.
I loved the pair I had, I sold them and I regretted instantly. Now I'm eyeeing those parisian nights, not a fan of all black shoes but they're in sale.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2454 on: October 30, 2020, 04:46:56 AM »
If today I can land a trick the ti haven't in years I'll treat myself with some Rowans.
I loved the pair I had, I sold them and I regretted instantly. Now I'm eyeeing those parisian nights, not a fan of all black shoes but they're in sale.
those Parisian nights are a dark navy not black. Good luck with the trick!

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2455 on: October 30, 2020, 05:14:08 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation for durable and stretchy jeans, preferably with multiple discount codes? The pair of Billabong jeans I got is ripping at the ass area.

I picked up some Lee jeans from their "EXTREME" collection (lol) and they are probably the best functioning pants I've ever worn. Sooooo fucking comfortable. They're all on sale right now too.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #2456 on: October 30, 2020, 05:53:38 AM »

These are really soft and stretchy and only 15 bucks. I dunno what fit you like but they're semi loose with a tapered ankle
https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-ultra-light-3d-jeans-427268COL68INS030000.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw8-78BRA0EiwAFUw8LEQuynQpNHNiM4MupTQR5Ia0CBj54KeJZPgJpsxUJXxiKIxB5_sHkhoCSB0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2457 on: October 30, 2020, 08:35:40 AM »

I've always liked my rvca and volcom pants. Volcom has hella sales frequently

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2458 on: October 30, 2020, 12:07:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
those Parisian nights are a dark navy not black. Good luck with the trick!
Got it ^^
It was just a cab, but whatever :D
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2459 on: October 30, 2020, 01:28:57 PM »
Now idk if I should get Rowan's or...
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.