Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328730 times)

ballintoohard

Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2640 on: December 14, 2020, 06:06:04 PM »
Venture 5.2 low. Been going through madness and so far seem to like my 8.25 with 14.25 WB on small wheels with Indy or 14.125 with Venture 5.6. Was thinking of getting these to put on the 14.125 and rocking with some 50.5mm wheels and seeing if I like the fast snap. Considering I have 2 boards setup and 3 decks on ice, plus 2 other pairs of trucks I'm not using this is likely stupid considering I got some new 139s yesterday.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2641 on: December 14, 2020, 07:15:55 PM »
Might have to find some space on a wall for the Shin Sanbongi graphic

yeah, damn. agreed. nice timepiece for 2020. polar winter should be arriving at locals anytime now

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #2642 on: December 18, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
has anyone gotten their hands on those new wooden riser pads that Real is making now?  curious to see how they feel
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #2643 on: December 18, 2020, 05:42:34 PM »
has anyone gotten their hands on those new wooden riser pads that Real is making now?  curious to see how they feel

The best riser pads are made with polycarbonate. It’s the hardest most durable plastic you can buy. If you have a jig saw and a power drill you can make your own. I made the following posters a sample set:

@YungJugg
@mynameisnotjeff
@FROTHY
@Diocletian

Maybe they can comment about how they work.

If you don’t have the equipment I’ll make you a set. $5.00 plus shipping seems fair.

I really wish DLX would use polycarbonate. Maybe they don’t know. The polycarbonate I have is 3 mm I believe which is approximately 1/8”.

The do not dead your shit.

BTW—forget to mention that board you sprayed had no orange peel. Looked pretty good...

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2644 on: December 18, 2020, 06:48:49 PM »
Venture 5.2 low. Been going through madness and so far seem to like my 8.25 with 14.25 WB on small wheels with Indy or 14.125 with Venture 5.6. Was thinking of getting these to put on the 14.125 and rocking with some 50.5mm wheels and seeing if I like the fast snap. Considering I have 2 boards setup and 3 decks on ice, plus 2 other pairs of trucks I'm not using this is likely stupid considering I got some new 139s yesterday.

Strong bias in that 5.2 lo are up there near the top as all time faves (cast).
I don’t ollie higher on the lo’s, but the pop is consistently better for flip tricks.
Axle to axle wb might be helpful in your quest.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2645 on: December 18, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
dane 1 and venture 6.1s

selling a lot of skate shit within the coming weeks so i feel like i can treat myself to a little holiday gift. gonna be the shortest deck ive owned but for all i know that might be a good thing. after getting in bed with ventures, its time to give the 6.1s a fair try. might throw in a downlow kingpin if i can find one in shop.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #2646 on: December 18, 2020, 08:24:18 PM »
Might have to find some space on a wall for the Shin Sanbongi graphic

Might have to grab that No Comply reissue for the wall.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #2647 on: December 18, 2020, 09:57:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The best riser pads are made with polycarbonate. It’s the hardest most durable plastic you can buy. If you have a jig saw and a power drill you can make your own. I made the following posters a sample set:

@YungJugg
@mynameisnotjeff
@FROTHY
@Diocletian

If you don’t have the equipment I’ll make you a set. $5.00 plus shipping seems fair.

I really wish DLX would use polycarbonate. Maybe they don’t know. The polycarbonate I have is 3 mm I believe which is approximately 1/8”.

BTW—forget to mention that board you sprayed had no orange peel. Looked pretty good...
They keep staring at me disrespectfully!
I haven’t been going through birds because of quarantine and the last set up I made had the old school pattern. I was very, very mad!

May go for the 5th complete and use them this weekend.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2648 on: December 18, 2020, 11:15:19 PM »

@augustmoon if you're talking about the recycled 3ply risers - yeah I dm'd Deluxe and they said that they're shipping them out to shops in January.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2649 on: December 19, 2020, 01:31:20 AM »
I feel like I have way to many old and spare risers, but I would still be interested to see what they are like when they do come out.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2650 on: December 19, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »
I made some and they feel like a plastic riser, just look nicer. Really easy to do if you have a bandsaw, chisel, and a belt sander.

Anyone skate the Polar 8.125 and 8.25? I'm liking the FA 8.25 I have, which is in between in WB and I think its also a BBS version (embossed top). The large nose is cool, but a less squared one would be cooler.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2651 on: December 19, 2020, 05:05:21 PM »
dane 1 and venture 6.1s

selling a lot of skate shit within the coming weeks so i feel like i can treat myself to a little holiday gift. gonna be the shortest deck ive owned but for all i know that might be a good thing. after getting in bed with ventures, its time to give the 6.1s a fair try. might throw in a downlow kingpin if i can find one in shop.
youll probably have better luck than me. Im don’t think I’m skilled enough to work with a twitchy set up being that short length / short wb being our height. I threw the set you sold me on a Dane 1 for a bit. you have the deck yet? Have a lightly used I don’t really ride anymore

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2652 on: December 19, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
dane 1 and venture 6.1s

[close]
youll probably have better luck than me. Im don’t think I’m skilled enough to work with a twitchy set up being that short length / short wb being our height. I threw the set you sold me on a Dane 1 for a bit. you have the deck yet? Have a lightly used I don’t really ride anymore
got it today but id still take it off your hands. having a garage session today because of the snow and it feels fun
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #2653 on: December 20, 2020, 12:34:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@YungJugg
@mynameisnotjeff
@FROTHY
@Diocletian

The polycarbonate risers are the truth.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2654 on: December 20, 2020, 01:14:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

@YungJugg
@mynameisnotjeff
@FROTHY
@Diocletian

[close]

The polycarbonate risers are the truth.

Ive been using the bones riser pads for a few years and they don't deaden the feel at all and they are a hard polyurethane i believe. In the past i have noticed the deadening affect from softer risers but as long as the riser material is harder than the deck you shouldn't notice them.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #2655 on: December 22, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »
Ray Barbee has an 8.25 out now. So that.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2656 on: December 22, 2020, 07:19:14 PM »
what's the WB on it?

FUBAR

« Reply #2657 on: December 23, 2020, 03:30:58 AM »
what's the WB on it?
Can’t find it but good question.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2658 on: December 23, 2020, 03:38:32 AM »
Expand Quote
what's the WB on it?
[close]
Can’t find it but good question.

I would imagine same as normal DLX boards, so regular 8.25 x 32 is 14.38 even though I only found pics of the board, and one place saying it was 32 long.

In 8.25 if it is the full shape, 14.5 wheelbase or full se then 14.25 wheelbase, but both those usually have the FULL on the sticker and the board I saw was just the normal 8.25 sticker.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #2659 on: December 23, 2020, 12:45:13 PM »
I'm in the middle of restructuring my whole setup based on Ben DeGros's and Paul Schmitt's advice (may make a thread soon based on the notes I've compiled).

So I'm thinking of buying some high, yet light, trucks to help with my pop if that's even possible. I'm looking at Venture hi V-hollows, simply because I don't believe the Independent hollows are high, and the Thunder his are more in the mid category based on other opinions I've read. Has anyone tried the v-hollow his? I think they're lighter than the venture lights.

Also, is it going to be too much of a problem to put Venture 5.2s or 5.25s on an 8.25 deck? Because Venture 5.6s are what's recommended.

If anyone can help me out, it'd be appreciated.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2660 on: December 23, 2020, 01:22:55 PM »
Indy forged hollow and Venture hollow are the same height. Non forged Indy are 1.5mm taller.

5.2 will work fine and be marginally lighter than 5.6 with less axle room.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #2661 on: December 23, 2020, 01:32:57 PM »
Indy forged hollow and Venture hollow are the same height. Non forged Indy are 1.5mm taller.

5.2 will work fine and be marginally lighter than 5.6 with less axle room.

Much appreciated

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #2662 on: December 23, 2020, 01:51:13 PM »
I want that new Polar Klez 9" and some new 55 Aces and slap some 52mm on it and have a more streetish board for my ample super structure instead of my park/bowl/slappy board I am always on now.
ok thanks

FUBAR

« Reply #2663 on: December 24, 2020, 08:47:36 AM »
...and now that Kalis AWS/DGK throwback deck. Kalis is dope.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2664 on: December 24, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »
F4, waiting for them to be in my usual online shop any time
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2665 on: December 24, 2020, 10:26:07 AM »
I’m selling some brand new conical full 99 in 52 if either of you are interested.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #2666 on: December 24, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »
As kooky as it is, I’m tempted to pick up Krux K5 or the Tensor ATG trucks.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2667 on: December 24, 2020, 03:27:08 PM »
Hey y'all! I could use the input of some skate nerds out there. One of my favorite decks I have ever skated is a 9' Toy Machine with a 15.5' wheel base. The only problem I had with it is the nose was not big enough to do nollie off of. I've been looking for the same feel since, and not a lot of companies have that long ass wheel base, but being a large ogre of a human it really works for me.
Hosoi makes a board that has the same specs, but the nose looks a little bigger. Anyone here skate the El Gato boards and able to nollie on it? I'm also kinda meh on a Hosoi board, but I think shape might be more important than graphics or cool guy factor at this point.

Am I chasing some kind of dream that will never come true and I should just skate whatever I can instead of looking for weird shapes? Oh well, thanks everyone!
Is that a cruiser? Can you still find it out in the wild? That sounds like perfect specs for me. I am also an ogre.

#dreamchasin

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2668 on: December 24, 2020, 06:35:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Hey y'all! I could use the input of some skate nerds out there. One of my favorite decks I have ever skated is a 9' Toy Machine with a 15.5' wheel base. The only problem I had with it is the nose was not big enough to do nollie off of. I've been looking for the same feel since, and not a lot of companies have that long ass wheel base, but being a large ogre of a human it really works for me.
Hosoi makes a board that has the same specs, but the nose looks a little bigger. Anyone here skate the El Gato boards and able to nollie on it? I'm also kinda meh on a Hosoi board, but I think shape might be more important than graphics or cool guy factor at this point.

Am I chasing some kind of dream that will never come true and I should just skate whatever I can instead of looking for weird shapes? Oh well, thanks everyone!
[close]
Is that a cruiser? Can you still find it out in the wild? That sounds like perfect specs for me. I am also an ogre.

#dreamchasin

Black Label boards have long wheelbases in bigger deck sizes, shaped but functional, on BBS wood, so feel good, not out of proportion.  Most of the Lucero decks in particular and I know a few people who have rounded the corners to make them more functional for popsicle riders too, so that is another option:

SPECS
SIZE   9.25
WIDTH (IN):   9.25
LENGTH (IN):   33.25
WHEELBASE (IN):   15.5
NOSE (IN):   6.625
TAIL (IN):   6.75
CONCAVE (IN):   .5

https://blacklabelskates.bigcartel.com/product/lucero-m-i-a-9-25-x-32-125-blue-stain-bottom

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #2669 on: December 24, 2020, 06:58:18 PM »
Love seat shape from crail. Almost got it but got some bbs/generator for the same price instead. Still want it tho. Tell me how to live my life.
The chillest1