Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 71968 times)

brbr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #480 on: December 12, 2022, 11:27:03 AM »
My new 4:3 HD video "Hollandsch Diep" just came out.

GH5 - Meike 3.5

Very sickkk !
Filmed in 4K 4:3 ratio then stab+fake vig in post ?
What about long lense ?

JMSneep

• Rep: 147
« Reply #481 on: December 12, 2022, 12:28:53 PM »
Yes, filmed in 1080P though

And Sony AX700 for longlens

Black Magic Micro for all the inbetween

this_VX_is_dead

• Rep: 0
« Reply #482 on: December 18, 2022, 04:55:29 AM »
Longtime lurker, first time poster, only because i think i might have something usefull to contribute incase anyone is contemplating on a gh5 setup:

This project was filmed on two different gh5 setups, so you can compare them both:

About 20% was filmed by my friend with the more standard, yet more expensive setup:
- lumix gh5
- fisheye: canon 8-15mm (adapter required)
- longlense: canon 24-105mm (adapter required)
- adapter: Metabones speedbooster ultra 0.71x
- handle: eazy handle V2
- mic: wooden camera vx-mic

And about 80% was filmed with my cheaper setup:
- lumix gh5
- fisheye: samyang 7.5mm f/3.5-22MFT (no adapter required)
- longlense: canon 24-105mm (adapter required)
- adapter: viltrox 0.71x
- handle: small rig with the record button on top.
- mic: wooden camera vx-mic

By getting the cheaper fisheye, adapter and handle i was able to save roughly $2500 without losing too much quality in the footage (or so i believe). You can compare both setups in the clip:
- The fisheye footage with vig and longlense 2nd angles on tricks where the fisheye has no vig was all shot my friends setup.
- The fisheye without vig and pretty much all longlense footage was shot on my cheaper setup (you could add a fake vig in post if you'd want to).

This was my first experience filming HD after filming 15 years with a vx, so i was still figuring out the settings and getting a feel for the setup. And the footage looks nowhere near as nice as footage filmed with a sony fx6 (but thats a whole other price range). But all in all, i’m very happy with this setup and value for money it offers.

I hope this helps someone!
Cheers

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #483 on: December 30, 2022, 07:11:53 AM »
short vid from one our local DIYs in Oklahoma City:

I use a Canon XA20, Century Mk 1, and a Rode StereoMic

P.S.: anyone know how to turn off ads on a video that I own all the rights to? I don't want YouTube's bullshit ads on my videos.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 07:19:51 AM by Burton Ernie »

doyle

• Rep: 213
« Reply #484 on: January 03, 2023, 12:02:44 PM »
A quick edit from yesterday with GH5/8-15mm and XA11 (+ VX Mic).

Does anyone use a GH5/Speedbooster and have any experience with it feeling a little bit wobbly/loose? You can see the vignetting shake around a little bit in some clips (a couple clips were really bad and I just fixed the vig with a mask).

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #485 on: January 03, 2023, 01:27:15 PM »
Does anyone use a GH5/Speedbooster and have any experience with it feeling a little bit wobbly/loose? You can see the vignetting shake around a little bit in some clips (a couple clips were really bad and I just fixed the vig with a mask).
you could add a lens support if your cage allows it? kind of like the rail system on an hpx
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

doyle

« Reply #486 on: January 03, 2023, 01:50:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you could add a lens support if your cage allows it? kind of like the rail system on an hpx

Good suggestion! I have this little extension mount thing that I used for VX1/MRC1 that is almost perfect. The Metabones screw mount is a little higher up than the mount under the Eazy Handle that I use so it doesn't sit perfectly flush, but until I can track down a longer screw this is pretty much perfect!

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #487 on: January 03, 2023, 02:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Good suggestion! I have this little extension mount thing that I used for VX1/MRC1 that is almost perfect. The Metabones screw mount is a little higher up than the mount under the Eazy Handle that I use so it doesn't sit perfectly flush, but until I can track down a longer screw this is pretty much perfect!

i meant something more like

youre supporting the adapter but it could be loose at the mount to the canon part. this attached to rails would push up on the lens and hold the whole thing in place.

youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

doyle

« Reply #488 on: January 03, 2023, 02:27:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
youre supporting the adapter but it could be loose at the mount to the canon part. this attached to rails would push up on the lens and hold the whole thing in place.

Ah yeah I see what you mean. The speedbooster-to-lens mount is really snug, it's just the speedbooster-to-camera that shakes around a little bit which this extension thing fixes. It's already enough of a hassle to take the camera off the handle to swap batteries, the last thing I need is an extra rail rig on top of all of this to have to set up every time I film, ha.

I'm spoiled by the simplicity of VX1000s and always try to simplify setups as much as possible for that run-and-gun type of thing.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #489 on: January 03, 2023, 08:27:59 PM »
I'm spoiled by the simplicity of VX1000s and always try to simplify setups as much as possible for that run-and-gun type of thing.
this
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #490 on: January 06, 2023, 06:21:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this

Why not just get a modern run-and-gun setup then? There are plenty of good-looking DSLR rigs but it seems like so much work compared to just fitting a fisheye to a video camera with a handle.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 93
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #491 on: January 06, 2023, 06:38:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
this
[close]

Why not just get a modern run-and-gun setup then? There are plenty of good-looking DSLR rigs but it seems like so much work compared to just fitting a fisheye to a video camera with a handle.

I was thinking of this when I was going to HD, really could not be arsed with farting around with sorting rigs, especially after doing so with a Frankenstein VX1 to run a recording device.

See if you can score what I got for cheap online (Canon XF100). They're pretty dope to film with and quite light, too.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #492 on: January 07, 2023, 03:02:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
this
[close]

[close]

I was thinking of this when I was going to HD, really could not be arsed with farting around with sorting rigs, especially after doing so with a Frankenstein VX1 to run a recording device.

See if you can score what I got for cheap online (Canon XF100). They're pretty dope to film with and quite light, too.

i recently bought a sony ax700 and this is my current struggle right now. i've been to so many hardware stores looking for the right l brackets to make a handle out of and cannot find ones wide enough. at this point i'm going to have to get some l brackets and mount the plastic seat piece from a opteka x grip onto it and do it that way, because the plastic handle thing is so fucking wobbly and annoying and no one sells just two god damn l brackets attached to each other

Thejumpoff

• Rep: 4
« Reply #493 on: January 07, 2023, 07:06:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
this
[close]

[close]

[close]

i recently bought a sony ax700 and this is my current struggle right now. i've been to so many hardware stores looking for the right l brackets to make a handle out of and cannot find ones wide enough. at this point i'm going to have to get some l brackets and mount the plastic seat piece from a opteka x grip onto it and do it that way, because the plastic handle thing is so fucking wobbly and annoying and no one sells just two god damn l brackets attached to each other

I made one out of one of these and it’s fairly decent. Going to work on reinforcing a bit to make sturdier though. The ax700 with an opteka and 3 spacers looks really good in my opinion
https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Bracket-Aluminum-Universal-Speedlite/dp/B01HH5NB2Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_11_sspa?crid=2FZABSL14MCRK&keywords=camera+l+bracket&qid=1673146981&sprefix=camera+l+brack%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1&smid=APGNKGIBL58YH&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWjZGWVdTSllWSFcmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwMzIxNTIyR0Y3VTA1NTk3SDhXJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNzYwNTIyUzFWRkU2Rk1CN0lKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

doyle

« Reply #494 on: January 09, 2023, 11:12:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
this
[close]

There isn't really anything other than the Sony cine cameras with zoom rockers like the FS7 that have caught my eye, but I don't really want to spend that kind of money when what I've got works well. And I personally don't love the way MK1s and other fisheyes look on HD cameras compared to the 8-15mm.

donkey

• donk
« Reply #495 on: January 09, 2023, 01:06:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
this
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I made one out of one of these and it’s fairly decent. Going to work on reinforcing a bit to make sturdier though. The ax700 with an opteka and 3 spacers looks really good in my opinion
https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Bracket-Aluminum-Universal-Speedlite/dp/B01HH5NB2Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_11_sspa?crid=2FZABSL14MCRK&keywords=camera+l+bracket&qid=1673146981&sprefix=camera+l+brack%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1&smid=APGNKGIBL58YH&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWjZGWVdTSllWSFcmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwMzIxNTIyR0Y3VTA1NTk3SDhXJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNzYwNTIyUzFWRkU2Rk1CN0lKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

thanks for the tip, one of those reinforced with some l brackets from the hardware store is probably gonna be my best bet. i've got the mk1 for the ax700 so thing is literally bendy when mounted on a normal cam grip

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #496 on: January 09, 2023, 01:28:43 PM »
thanks for the tip, one of those reinforced with some l brackets from the hardware store is probably gonna be my best bet. i've got the mk1 for the ax700 so thing is literally bendy when mounted on a normal cam grip

if you can somehow mount a cold shoe adapter to the handle it will be way more secure. something like this
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

donkey

• donk
« Reply #497 on: January 10, 2023, 07:10:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you can somehow mount a cold shoe adapter to the handle it will be way more secure. something like this

nah there's no way that is more secure than mounting it to the bottom. the weight of the camera will easily snap the shoe off after a few sessions of strong cam movements.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #498 on: January 10, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

nah there's no way that is more secure than mounting it to the bottom. the weight of the camera will easily snap the shoe off after a few sessions of strong cam movements.

no i meant both, two points of contact
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

donkey

• donk
« Reply #499 on: January 20, 2023, 06:10:09 PM »
Alright y’all, here is my review of the Sony AX700 and my first impressions.

For starters, the camera itself is sturdy as hell. It feels good in the hand but if you have kinda larger hands it will be slightly awkward to use the zoom rocker. The LCD panel IS touchscreen, but it’s limited. If you have a vxmic you want to put on it, the hot shoe on the top has this cover you’ll probably want to remove and you can do so by pushing out the metal rod with a needle.

I didn’t know this till today and it’ll probably help someone but the video format is odd. It defaults to AVCHD which records interlaced and it’s super archaic and annoying to store clips. In the menu, you’re going to want to change the format to XAVCHD, and set it to 1080p 60fps, which will put the clips in a much neater format when you log them. The clip menu is pretty basic and there is a protect function that will allow you to mark clips as you go.

As for the handle, you’re going to want L Brackets that are 8 inches, and the type I got are the Crate & Pallet ones from Home Depot. The holes they pre screwed are perfectly set up to connect them, however for the mounting hole for the camera you’re going to need to widen it with a 1/4” bit. I decided to also put Locktite in between them for that extra sturdiness. These specific brackets are steel so they make the set up a bit heavy but I like it like that. They have this lip on them but you can just grind it off. You’re going to want to make sure whatever brackets you use are at least an inch and a half wide to make sure the camera has enough coverage on the bottom. Then simply put those puppies together and wrap the handle and the camera seat with tennis racket tape. For the screw to connect it to the bracket, I used one that comes with the Zeadio camera grip which is shitty to use as a handle but has the perfect size screw with a tightening head attached, which you’ll find attached to the cold shoe adapter. And it was only like $18. You’ll also want to pop in one washer as well.

Hope this helps!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #500 on: January 20, 2023, 06:41:53 PM »
For the handle i found this wraparound bracket with a super long cold shoe channel on the top. it allows you to use the viewfinder which is nice which you can't do with a traditional x-grip or bracket.

i've been filming with it for a year and never had any trouble with slippage or sturdiness. been rock solid the whole time

b&h link:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1197471-REG/dm_accessories_wamx00_wrap_around_mount.html

10 bucks off straight from the vendor if you don't mind some blemishes:
https://shop.dm-accessories.com/products/wamx00

here it is on my Panasonic TM900:

donkey

• donk
« Reply #501 on: January 21, 2023, 11:40:42 AM »
For the handle i found this wraparound bracket with a super long cold shoe channel on the top. it allows you to use the viewfinder which is nice which you can't do with a traditional x-grip or bracket.

i've been filming with it for a year and never had any trouble with slippage or sturdiness. been rock solid the whole time

b&h link:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1197471-REG/dm_accessories_wamx00_wrap_around_mount.html

10 bucks off straight from the vendor if you don't mind some blemishes:
https://shop.dm-accessories.com/products/wamx00

here it is on my Panasonic TM900:

Damn dude you definitely just blessed me with this. I’ve been looking on the internet for so long to find a handle like that. Definitely a great option

EDIT: actually im pretty sure from reading the reviews that this handle blocks the microphone shoe on the ax700 so prob not a great choice but still works nonetheless
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 09:03:31 AM by donkey »

Thejumpoff

« Reply #502 on: January 26, 2023, 06:29:04 AM »
I saw this online and feel like the skateboard community needs to fire off emails at small rig to actually make this product. It really would be the perfect handle for all ax700 users.

https://co-design.smallrig.com/detail.html?id=2965

donkey

• donk
« Reply #503 on: January 30, 2023, 07:21:25 AM »
I saw this online and feel like the skateboard community needs to fire off emails at small rig to actually make this product. It really would be the perfect handle for all ax700 users.

https://co-design.smallrig.com/detail.html?id=2965

Ooo that's pretty neat. I wonder how sturdy it is since it detaches for easy storage.

doyle

« Reply #504 on: January 30, 2023, 08:36:11 AM »
There's an Eazy Handle v2 on eBay right now for any of the DSLR/Mirrorless people here. 100% worth it IMO.

Thejumpoff

« Reply #505 on: January 30, 2023, 07:13:12 PM »

doyle

« Reply #506 on: February 01, 2023, 09:56:19 AM »
Expand Quote
There's an Eazy Handle v2 on eBay right now for any of the DSLR/Mirrorless people here. 100% worth it IMO.
[close]

Saw these replicas on Etsy that look almost identical to the v2 easy handle. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1186056038/skate-filming-handle-eazy-handle-v2?ref=shop_review%3Fref&variation0=2908121544

Wow thanks for sharing, these actually look good! The cheap knockoffs I've used in the past are absolute trash, so it's nice to see there's a decent looking replacement out there.

Deepsearch

• Rep: 2
« Reply #507 on: February 21, 2023, 03:11:08 PM »
Hello everybody, I recently made this video, what do you think about the video format? please feel free to feel completely honest :)

Thejumpoff

« Reply #508 on: February 24, 2023, 06:02:15 AM »
Hello everybody, I recently made this video, what do you think about the video format? please feel free to feel completely honest :)

What was this filmed on?

Deepsearch

• Rep: 2
« Reply #509 on: February 24, 2023, 06:47:16 AM »
I'm currently filming with:
HD
GH5 + meike 6.5mm 2.0f for fisheye with a rode videomicro mic
Panasonic hcx1500 for long lens standard mic

VX
vx2100 + modded mk2 , unfortunately the lens I put inbetween got a bit scratched and sometimes you notice it in the footy.

But this video was made all with the HD setup, the snippets at the end are filmed with the compact olympus photocamera you can see in the video.