Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 540138 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3060 on: March 01, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »
I just set up this Blockhead Streetstyle as a slappy / cruiser.  Pretty crazy to ride, as theres no weight in the nose and the tails kinda long, its super light to get the wheels up.  It's super light in general, as it's kinda small.  These were originally made in 1986 and were one of the first boards to have a 'long nose'.  Kinda looks like a bart simpson / comic book version of a skateboard, and I love it.  Shits flat as a tack, so it's a trick staying on with slappies, but it kinda makes it more fun.  They only made 31 of the pink, 62 in total.

Spitfire F4 97a Classics, 56mm - Love em! Been looking for a wheel that feels like a hard wheel thats a touch more forgiving
Indy Stage 10 149s - been a while since i've ridden anything but 169 Indys and while these turn a bit slower, which might be a stage 10 thing, but anyway, theyre good.  It's nice to have a new truck to grind.  Had these sitting around for 10 years, good to use em. 

Board specs
    Screen printed graphics top and bottom
    Art by Dave Bergthold
    Dimensions: 9.125 x 30.125”, 15.5” wheelbase, 6.625 tail, 4.25” nose (longer because of modern hole pattern)
    Construction: 7-ply Maple
    New School hole pattern
    Concave: 1985 original, mellow tail, minimal concave, flat nose. 
    Manufactured by Watson Laminates, San Diego CA
    Original release date 1986, Reissue date 2020

Creaking bones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3061 on: March 02, 2021, 02:33:24 AM »
fun dice games online

1st time here and an attempt to upload my Planet Earth Buster Halterman 9.5

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #3062 on: March 02, 2021, 09:29:14 AM »
Yea that looks good. Im pretty sure Natas never rode 215's back in the day.
Pretty sure Natas was on thunder back in the day.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #3063 on: March 02, 2021, 02:29:00 PM »
Also, back in the day didnt everyone ride 159’s? I cant remember model numbers, but i do remember the trucks were always a tiny bit narrower than the deck at the back truck.

Kurt Cobain

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3064 on: March 02, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »

I’m currently skating this Mike Vallely reissue. I’ve got it set up with Indy 169 standards, Indy bolts and risers, Powell Rat Bones, Bones Reds Bearings, Rib Bones, and Mob grip.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3065 on: March 02, 2021, 04:46:01 PM »
fun dice games online

That looks like fun!

What you got on that thing, eg Indy trucks, are they Santa Cruz 61mm 97duro or OJ elites?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3066 on: March 02, 2021, 08:45:08 PM »
Also, back in the day didnt everyone ride 159’s? I cant remember model numbers, but i do remember the trucks were always a tiny bit narrower than the deck at the back truck.

You are correct.

I'm not sure why people insist on such giant trucks on shaped boards. If you look through old photos from the time period. Most skaters had their back wheels lined up with the deck and the front was often a magic-carpet scenario. I have a 10" Tom Knox reissue and with super wide 60mm Bullets, 159s work great. 169s would be OK but 215s are overkill.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3067 on: March 02, 2021, 09:03:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You are correct.

I'm not sure why people insist on such giant trucks on shaped boards. If you look through old photos from the time period. Most skaters had their back wheels lined up with the deck and the front was often a magic-carpet scenario. I have a 10" Tom Knox reissue and with super wide 60mm Bullets, 159s work great. 169s would be OK but 215s are overkill.

I agree with this. I’ve never really understood the point of 215s, for me 159s are like the perfect truck for so many different sizes

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #3068 on: March 03, 2021, 12:04:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You are correct.

[close]

I agree with this. I’ve never really understood the point of 215s, for me 159s are like the perfect truck for so many different sizes

First...I’m glad at 45 i still remember my childhood...and secondly, the theory i remember from back in those days was, the back truck was tight and wide enough for stability, and the front truck was your steering wheel, so the looser narrower truck made it easier to turn.

animalflesh

« Reply #3069 on: March 03, 2021, 08:32:05 AM »
The turn on 215s is fun and surfy though and grinds feel great when they’re slopping around on the coping

I usually ride 159-169 myself but 215s have their time and place

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3070 on: March 03, 2021, 08:34:53 AM »
No doubt. Ride what feels good. Just talking about if people are looking to replicate what we rode in the 80s on these reissues, they should consider 149 to 169 for period specific authenticity.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #3071 on: March 03, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »

animalflesh

« Reply #3072 on: March 03, 2021, 11:00:07 AM »
No doubt. Ride what feels good. Just talking about if people are looking to replicate what we rode in the 80s on these reissues, they should consider 149 to 169 for period specific authenticity.

It has the best feel for sure, and with the super wide wheels of the day is a perfect size for most period correct setups

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #3073 on: March 03, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You are correct.

[close]

215s are for the really old 10-inch decks, like pigs.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3074 on: March 04, 2021, 06:12:39 AM »

Fixer Pig Tank 9.75
Welcome Candy Bar Rail
Jessup
Ace 66s
September Wheels 55mm

sketchyrider

« Reply #3075 on: March 04, 2021, 06:42:06 AM »
that pig tank looks like a fun beast.

fwiw, if we are talking about period authenticity, i believe 159's and 169's used to be a bit wider.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3076 on: March 04, 2021, 07:53:37 PM »

fwiw, if we are talking about period authenticity, i believe 159's and 169's used to be a bit wider.

I had thought that too, but a set of old, as in not within the first couple of stages, but definitely old Indy trucks were only 166mm as measured on a collector site, that he had on something back in the day.

There are definitely wider trucks around, but nobody really had 215s on much, everything being 166 or so as widest, but I think too boards being tapered meant that not quite so wide trucks fit best on the fish shaped decks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3077 on: March 04, 2021, 08:15:51 PM »
Indy has gone between 146, 156, 166 and 149, 159, 169 but those numbers don't usually equate to actual hanger size. Axle sizes have also varied. I could be wrong here but I believe 156s had an 8 7/8" axle bigger than a current 159. I have some 146s and they are closer to an 8 3/8" axle so smaller than a current 149.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3078 on: March 05, 2021, 01:34:28 AM »
The mid stages I have in older trucks are fairly accurate to the measurements, eg 146, 166 and some of those.

The older 166 (stage 7 I think I made them to be) are definitely smaller than 169s by a touch and wider than 159s but as there are no size markings or stickers of any sort, a lot of the time they get size and stage wrong in the info for them.

These were a few I had back then (3 years ago actually), but I have more in wider sizes now.

I tried looking for the size info from a whole lot of Independent Truck history I had seen and saved, but couldn't find what I was looking for.  I think it said something like Stage 6 to 8 had the "6" sizes, not the "9" stages, eg 136, 146 and not 139, 149, etc.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3079 on: March 05, 2021, 10:14:17 AM »
I'd love some Stage 7 or 8 156s.

Creaking bones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3080 on: March 05, 2021, 11:00:27 AM »
Expand Quote
fun dice games online

[close]

That looks like fun!

What you got on that thing, eg Indy trucks, are they Santa Cruz 61mm 97duro or OJ elites?

Indy 169 1/4 risers and  oj team riders 61mm 97a, bones reds
It's a great shape

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1316
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3081 on: March 05, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
The mid stages I have in older trucks are fairly accurate to the measurements, eg 146, 166 and some of those.

The older 166 (stage 7 I think I made them to be) are definitely smaller than 169s by a touch and wider than 159s but as there are no size markings or stickers of any sort, a lot of the time they get size and stage wrong in the info for them.

These were a few I had back then (3 years ago actually), but I have more in wider sizes now.

I tried looking for the size info from a whole lot of Independent Truck history I had seen and saved, but couldn't find what I was looking for.  I think it said something like Stage 6 to 8 had the "6" sizes, not the "9" stages, eg 136, 146 and not 139, 149, etc.

Stages 7 and 8 are the stages that went to 6 sizes. Back to 9 at stage 9 according to the Indy book
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3082 on: March 06, 2021, 07:04:05 AM »

Stages 7 and 8 are the stages that went to 6 sizes. Back to 9 at stage 9 according to the Indy book

Thanks.  I knew it was something around that, because 139s in Stage 9 were just all round different and the most I had a lot of on current boards when I had way too many setups (working in skateboarding does that for you) but those older stages were an interesting mix of size and shape, some really good, some not so good overall.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3083 on: March 06, 2021, 06:11:21 PM »
2 questions for you big set up dudes

-what is a good bigger street shape

-are there any good places to get that shape in blank form

would like to try something different

animalflesh

« Reply #3084 on: March 06, 2021, 07:32:57 PM »
Football

Prime and socal

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3085 on: March 06, 2021, 07:54:31 PM »
2 questions for you big set up dudes

-what is a good bigger street shape

-are there any good places to get that shape in blank form

would like to try something different

Do you want single kick 80s style, a big popsicle, a shaped board with wide tail or rounded tail, funny bits more so than just another standard brand X or anything in particular?

Places like the https://www.instagram.com/wide.boiz/ is a good one with a lot of boards to look through for ideas.

Guessing you don't want to take it as far back as Natas street 80s type of skating, but for the time they were awesome.

Most normal bigger boards are of the shaped variety, not popsicle, or many are long, but there is a definite push for shorter street based boards at the moment.

One of the most common (as in lots of shops had them recently) wide board with normal wheelbase popsicle shape is from Heroin, other longer boards from Antihero orange eagle more common too, then middle of the range with Polar.

As for shaped decks, Polar, Heroin, or Black Label has quite a few that people skate on all terrain, also recently stocked up in a lot of shops, as well as all the New Deal reissues out too, but some harder to get brands with very unique shapes are just that - very hard to get, brands like Scram.

The DIY Boards / Graphics thread is a good one too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=48527.780

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3086 on: March 06, 2021, 08:03:43 PM »
not looking for another popsicle and eggs look atrocious to me (sorry), was looking for double kick and squared-ish

i’m broke so blanks are kind of my only route rn- if that’s a no go i’ll just keep skating shop boards

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #3087 on: March 07, 2021, 05:29:54 AM »
not looking for another popsicle and eggs look atrocious to me (sorry), was looking for double kick and squared-ish

i’m broke so blanks are kind of my only route rn- if that’s a no go i’ll just keep skating shop boards
Check out Grandma skateboards
https://www.grandmaskateboards.com/product/funhouse-deck
Not blanks but seem to run at $55 plus shipping, so a bit cheaper. The 9” looks to have pretty squared kicks.

Get hungry on it!

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3088 on: March 08, 2021, 07:12:18 AM »

I think the Fixer guys are doing a spraypainted / cheap / blank series at the moment. They have amazing shapes. If you're near Portland you might wanna look into this

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #3089 on: March 09, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »

Jeremie Daclin / Into the wild Blender Tribute (just) 9” but figured you guys would appreciate it
Ace 55
56 / 99 Speedlab Slappy hour
Rib bones
Random hardware
Read and Destroy Sticker

Happy Feet