Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533628 times)

white guy in a durag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4620 on: April 23, 2022, 09:09:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Looks like Berle painted and FA’d a Winkowski deck. Would be awesome if FA made a shaped deck for him.

[close]

Anyone rode the winkowski shape?

I just started riding the orange eagle shape and should probably stay with that forever but Id love one as a cruiser. Nothing better than looking down on a shaped deck.
I had the Evisen shor west deck which, as far as I can tell, is a copy of the fish tail winkowski shape. Very good shape, surprisingly easy to skate and I actually have it one some juices right now for cruising.

qweenmess

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4621 on: April 23, 2022, 11:57:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Picked up a Dane 1 with wheel wells, I'm so excited to set this up! Just waiting on grip and trucks.

Does anyone have any experience riding a board this size with thunder 149 (or similarly sized) trucks? That's what I have and I think my grip is gna get here before my trucks do.
[close]

Skated mine with 149 Indys with a couple extra washers after I slipped an axle on my 159s. Honestly preferred it. As Long as you have some wider wheels you should be good to go.

I have 56mm ricta clouds, you think those will be alright ? Also where did you put the washers?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4622 on: April 23, 2022, 12:11:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Picked up a Dane 1 with wheel wells, I'm so excited to set this up! Just waiting on grip and trucks.

Does anyone have any experience riding a board this size with thunder 149 (or similarly sized) trucks? That's what I have and I think my grip is gna get here before my trucks do.
[close]

Skated mine with 149 Indys with a couple extra washers after I slipped an axle on my 159s. Honestly preferred it. As Long as you have some wider wheels you should be good to go.
[close]

I have 56mm ricta clouds, you think those will be alright ? Also where did you put the washers?

For sure. You can do 2 washers inside the wheel and one between the wheel and the nut, or even all 3 inside. It'll also keep the nuts relatively flush with the ends of your axles to keep them from getting messed up from landing primo or whatever.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #4623 on: April 23, 2022, 11:51:41 PM »
Revisiting my Primitive Villani 10.0 that I skated for a bit, then put on ice. It's essentially symmetrical and I have been skating it as such. N:7.1 T:7.1 WB:14.5. Made some wheel wells to accommodate bigger wheels.

Indy TI 169
Slimeball 60mmx44mm 97a (not sluggish at skatepark,which was a concern as my 95a sucked on smooth concrete.
Bronson ceramics
1/8 Modus risers

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4624 on: April 27, 2022, 07:40:22 AM »

I don't recall seeing this Passport "Spade" shaped deck before, but I probably don't pay enough attention most of the time either.

https://ocd-skateshop.myshopify.com/products/pass-port-singles-take-care-9-125-skateboard-deck

PASS~PORT - SINGLES TAKE CARE 9.125" SKATEBOARD DECK

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

Maybe a better set of pics here from the Skate Deluxe listing:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/passport-singles-take-care-9-125-skateboard-deck-multi_p156552

width: 9.125"
length: 31.375"
wheelbase: 14.375"
nose: 6.375"
tail: 6.75"

« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:47:58 AM by Woodshop »

qweenmess

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4625 on: April 27, 2022, 01:11:39 PM »

Dane 1 finally set up!

Ace 55 Classic
Ricta Clouds 56mm 92a

Haven't gotten to ride it very long but it feels great, though I might get harder wheels (I was looking at the Snot 58mm 98a).

I also read that you shouldn't tighten Ace trucks at first but I was getting some serious wheel bite with hardly any pressure so i had to tighten it a bit. It still feels pretty loose but it's fun and I'm gna take some time to adjust to it.

Edit: for reference, I'm 6'2" and prob b/w 200-220 lbs (I don't weigh myself so that's a rough estimate)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 02:25:09 PM by qweenmess »

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4626 on: May 02, 2022, 06:08:10 PM »
Been a while since I posted a setup.
First day on this one
Black Label Curb nerd 9.63 x 32 14/14.5 wb
Indy 159 hollow w/krux kingpin
Spitfire f4 radial full 99a 56mm
Quantum isotopes
Rad railz wide
Jessup
Bender Allen
Dunks

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #4627 on: May 02, 2022, 06:51:49 PM »
Been a while since I posted a setup.
First day on this one
Black Label Curb nerd 9.63 x 32 14/14.5 wb
Indy 159 hollow w/krux kingpin
Spitfire f4 radial full 99a 56mm
Quantum isotopes
Rad railz wide
Jessup
Bender Allen
Dunks

Rad set up. Every time I see these I keep getting closer to buying one. BTW, do you guys have any of the 9” shovel (35th)shop decks or are they no longer around?

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4628 on: May 02, 2022, 06:56:11 PM »
The place that does our shop decks always changes the shaped deck options as they become available. At the moment no 9 shovel in any graphic. 8.8 is closest.
I suspect with shaped boards waning in popularity we will see even less options. We are definitely selling less. Bummer because I love them.
Eggs do well and a few antihero ones are good, gonz 9.81 and winkowski have fans. Obviously Andy Anderson has legions of them but in general we are selling way less than last year.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4629 on: May 02, 2022, 07:25:08 PM »

•Girl GSSC G055 Simon Bannerot Couch Shape
9x32 by 13.875WB
•Tactics Grip?
•Thunder 151
w/ White Indy Soft Top -
Stock Thunder Bottom bushings
•REAL/DLX 1/8 Wood Risers
•Spitfire Radial Full 56mm
•Modus Titanium Bearings
•WKND 1” Allen Hardware

Switched the top bushing to the new Venture Loose green bushings and now it turns so much better. Couldn’t get the Venture loose to work on my 6.1’s even with 3 threads out(which I’m annoyed by lookwise) but the tops sits flush on thunders and gives it a better turn although a little unstable.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4630 on: May 02, 2022, 07:41:26 PM »
that board looks so fun, the quas i’m on has a similar spec and wheelbase but yours has a lil bigger nose i think

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #4631 on: May 02, 2022, 07:51:07 PM »
The place that does our shop decks always changes the shaped deck options as they become available. At the moment no 9 shovel in any graphic. 8.8 is closest.
I suspect with shaped boards waning in popularity we will see even less options. We are definitely selling less. Bummer because I love them.
Eggs do well and a few antihero ones are good, gonz 9.81 and winkowski have fans. Obviously Andy Anderson has legions of them but in general we are selling way less than last year.

What is the most popular size/shape going out the door to the average full grown man (18+)? Weird that shaped decks are waning in popularity.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4632 on: May 02, 2022, 08:03:02 PM »
In our zone around 2010 welcome was starting up and with all the concrete parks we were ahead of the curve with shaped decks so makes sense up here that is has been slowing down.
8.25/8.5 all day. 

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #4633 on: May 02, 2022, 08:55:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4634 on: May 03, 2022, 01:51:16 AM »
Been skating the 10" Dead Dave Mutant shape from Heroin and I have to admit it's one of the best boards I've skated in a while.

The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4635 on: May 03, 2022, 01:57:57 PM »
For anyone looking we will have 9.5,10,10.25,10.5 popsicles later this week.
I'll keep you posted,
dave

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4636 on: May 03, 2022, 03:50:28 PM »

I don't recall seeing this Passport "Spade" shaped deck before, but I probably don't pay enough attention most of the time either.

https://ocd-skateshop.myshopify.com/products/pass-port-singles-take-care-9-125-skateboard-deck

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/passport-singles-take-care-9-125-skateboard-deck-multi_p156552

they’ve had the spade around for a minute now, the sticker always lists it as 8.8 though…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRLTr5WlzAa/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #4637 on: May 03, 2022, 06:20:18 PM »
I'll keep you posted,
dave
Sweet. 10+ is the new 9.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4638 on: May 03, 2022, 06:44:04 PM »
Expand Quote

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

[close]
they’ve had the spade around for a minute now, the sticker always lists it as 8.8 though…

I seem to recall they had a few options for shaped boards in previous / pre pandemic drops, from low 8s up to 8.8 but nothing over 9, but most were a bit more generic or too small for anything I was really interested in.

I didn't know if that was the same old one just relisted or a new size option, like Polar with all the Surf / Surf Jr and similar options.

Still hadn't ever seen the old shaped boards in person, even though it had been on sale a lot online, mainly because they all had shorter wheelbases, but this one is supposed to have a longer wheelbase as well, which made me curious, especially in light of all the Chico and similar boards around too.

Did that one you had seem like it had those dimensions, or is that board long gone?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #4639 on: May 03, 2022, 07:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I'll keep you posted,
dave
[close]
Sweet. 10+ is the new 9.

I was looking at a tfunk 8.75, wondering how much flip trickery would still work. I’m sure someone can do it all, on basically any sized board, I do wonder where the point of diminishing returns is in regards to width of setup, and flip tricks. Of course there is much more to skatelife than just flippery.
Anybody that rides 10” pops have a few words on why they like em? Stuff like a 9” popsicle setup just seems like it’s an 8.5”, proportionally, for some bigger folks (what I’m attempting to convey: I’m 5’8”, happily ride an 8.5” setup, makes sense that 6’+ person would enjoy a 9”+ setup as it wouldn’t be ‘that’ big, to them).
Lots of blah blah here from per usual, but I’ve been fairly shocked/weirded out, that an 8.5” setup feels better than the smaller stuff I’ve always ridden. Makes me wonder what the next step up is like. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4640 on: May 03, 2022, 11:55:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

[close]

[close]

I seem to recall they had a few options for shaped boards in previous / pre pandemic drops, from low 8s up to 8.8 but nothing over 9, but most were a bit more generic or too small for anything I was really interested in.

I didn't know if that was the same old one just relisted or a new size option, like Polar with all the Surf / Surf Jr and similar options.

Still hadn't ever seen the old shaped boards in person, even though it had been on sale a lot online, mainly because they all had shorter wheelbases, but this one is supposed to have a longer wheelbase as well, which made me curious, especially in light of all the Chico and similar boards around too.

Did that one you had seem like it had those dimensions, or is that board long gone?

yeah they used to have an 8.5 with a real square tail and a huge round nose, perhaps it was the same as the polar p1 shape?

That would make sense with the surf/ surf jr. though because the spade is very similar dimensions to the original surf. Like polar too, I don’t think the wheelbase is as long as they make it out to be, but not short like Chico’s  board or crail couch/ loveseat, my spade  is 14.375 from memory.

They also have a new shape called a softie but it’s only 8.625 and thus not fit for this thread:
https://www.passportal.com/products/pass-port-josh-pall-dorothy-softie-deck
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 01:24:58 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4641 on: May 04, 2022, 08:15:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'll keep you posted,
dave
[close]
Sweet. 10+ is the new 9.
[close]

I was looking at a tfunk 8.75, wondering how much flip trickery would still work. I’m sure someone can do it all, on basically any sized board, I do wonder where the point of diminishing returns is in regards to width of setup, and flip tricks. Of course there is much more to skatelife than just flippery.
Anybody that rides 10” pops have a few words on why they like em? Stuff like a 9” popsicle setup just seems like it’s an 8.5”, proportionally, for some bigger folks (what I’m attempting to convey: I’m 5’8”, happily ride an 8.5” setup, makes sense that 6’+ person would enjoy a 9”+ setup as it wouldn’t be ‘that’ big, to them).
Lots of blah blah here from per usual, but I’ve been fairly shocked/weirded out, that an 8.5” setup feels better than the smaller stuff I’ve always ridden. Makes me wonder what the next step up is like.

I agree with what you’re saying and only came to this realization earlier this year. I’m 6 or 6’1 size 12 shoes skated 8.5 and was getting toe drag constantly flip tricks inconsistent. Moved to an 8.8 and I feel stable I feel comfortable setting up and landing and my consistency on flip tricks have improved. I feel I can even Ollie higher. But I was close to impossibles landing some and slipping out or on nose when k was on the 8.5 and now I’m back to not even close on a 8.8. Maybe that’s a wheel base issue though. Idk. But idk if I can go below 8.75 now

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #4642 on: May 04, 2022, 11:10:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'll keep you posted,
dave
[close]
Sweet. 10+ is the new 9.
[close]

[close]

I agree with what you’re saying and only came to this realization earlier this year. I’m 6 or 6’1 size 12 shoes skated 8.5 and was getting toe drag constantly flip tricks inconsistent. Moved to an 8.8 and I feel stable I feel comfortable setting up and landing and my consistency on flip tricks have improved. I feel I can even Ollie higher. But I was close to impossibles landing some and slipping out or on nose when k was on the 8.5 and now I’m back to not even close on a 8.8. Maybe that’s a wheel base issue though. Idk. But idk if I can go below 8.75 now

Yeah I think width of board, and maybe trucks, might have something to do with shoe size. Or something. I know there are tons and tons of instances where a smaller person rides a wider board, and a bigger person rides a narrower setup, so…dunno.
I have a size 10 shoe, which is bang average, I believe. 8.5 the average size, these days (I think). What fucks me on different larger sized setups is overall board length, I have a pretty difficult time going over 32” (tip to tip). Wb seems to be more fungible than I realized, I will adjust. I think a longer board might still be good, for me, but there is some witches brew of wheel size, truck height, tail/nose length that would need to be sorted out. I do have one really weird ass shaped board that is 32”++ and 9”+ wide and even my tired ass can get a 360 flip with it. The point I’m trying to make (is that I occasionally land 360 flips) is that there are so many more factors that I don’t understand on what makes a setup work for me.
Still interested in hearing from the big pop riders.
I’ll now shut the fuck up and take my 8.5” ass out the 9” in thread.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #4643 on: May 04, 2022, 11:13:05 AM »
two new birthday big boy 9" plus-ers

blind sora sanded and sprayed 9.4" x 32"
spitfire 80hd 56mm
mismatched spare bearings
ace 55 classic atop indy risers
shorty's hardware 1"
jessup

heroin symmetrical razoregg sanded and sprayed 9.5" x 32.125"
spitfire f4 kb gremlin wheels 52mm
bones reds
ace 66 classic
nutass skateboards hardware 7/8"
jessup

the heroin symmetrical egg shape is really so cool feeling i might make it my number 1 <3

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #4644 on: May 04, 2022, 02:16:07 PM »
I'll keep you posted,
dave
Glad I held out. I was about to settle as I didn’t think y’all would have any for a while!
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

Stuhfy

• Rep: 4
    • YouTube avatar image
« Reply #4645 on: May 04, 2022, 09:03:45 PM »
Just Scooped up a Scram Eart Key!!!! Killer 9.5 board. Don't really have the specs on it, I can't find them anywhere but several days into it, and its one of the better big boards that I have ridden.. only downside is that I have 159mm trucks on it and for me that kind of bugs the crap out of me.. saving up for some 169s soon!

144p

• SLAP Pal

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4647 on: May 06, 2022, 12:55:44 PM »
Oh all of them have 15 wb and are 33 long measured straight across

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4648 on: May 06, 2022, 04:45:39 PM »
https://frogskateboards.com/collections/spring21-decks/products/bubbly-pat-g-deck

The shape looks similar to a Krooked Sweatpants with a double-drilled wheelbase

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4649 on: May 07, 2022, 04:55:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

[close]

[close]

[close]
yeah they used to have an 8.5 with a real square tail and a huge round nose, perhaps it was the same as the polar p1 shape?

That would make sense with the surf/ surf jr. though because the spade is very similar dimensions to the original surf. Like polar too, I don’t think the wheelbase is as long as they make it out to be, but not short like Chico’s  board or crail couch/ loveseat, my spade  is 14.375 from memory.

They also have a new shape called a softie but it’s only 8.625 and thus not fit for this thread:
https://www.passportal.com/products/pass-port-josh-pall-dorothy-softie-deck

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

gonna experiment with the passport spade shape
9.125/31.7ish/between 14.38-14.5 wb

accustomed to bloards that length, just shorter wheelbases
wonder if i can handle 14.25> if length stays constant
really not that many options here so this should be a quick test
[close]

That one looked like it would drill in nicely on the front, which would make the nose more normal and the wheelbase shorter.

I am curious what the wheelbase actually is, given some places had it listed as 14.5 and others as 14.38 or so.  Might be similar to the Polar measurements, listed longer but not quite that.

The six hole baseplate mod at .38 would be perfect for your 14.0 to 14.12 preferred wheelbase on paper.
[close]
went into a shop that had one in stock
measures @8.9/31.5/14.38wb
might be too short but im not sure if the longer wb counters it
gonna hold off on it for now

Just thought it good to have all this info here.

Would still be a fairly good board, especially for those who are interested in using a six hole baseplate / chems tool kit to drop the wheelbase down to 14.0 and make the nose almost 7 which would be more consistent dimensions with a normal board like the Chico Big Boy and similar decks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.