Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 539845 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #2760 on: January 11, 2021, 08:47:58 PM »
I’m back:

Tbh, the graphic isn’t exactly wall hanger material and I kept fantasizing about riding it ...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2761 on: January 12, 2021, 01:02:41 AM »
Man, i hope you have better luck than me on that deck. I couldn’t do anything on it, felt like dead wood...could be just me though, or i got a dud one.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2762 on: January 12, 2021, 01:42:30 AM »
Man, i hope you have better luck than me on that deck. I couldn’t do anything on it, felt like dead wood...could be just me though, or i got a dud one.
I hope so too because I honestly couldn’t find anything else I was interested in (apart from the surf shape which is quickly becoming a fave). Still criminal in 2021 that no one in the industry wants to give him a board ...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 02:06:43 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

sammyz

« Reply #2763 on: January 12, 2021, 02:42:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I hope so too because I honestly couldn’t find anything else I was interested in (apart from the surf shape which is quickly becoming a fave). Still criminal in 2021 that no one in the industry wants to give him a board ...

Agreed...selfishly i would love deluxe to give Barbee and Chico brown bomber pro boards! But thats never gonna happen!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2764 on: January 12, 2021, 04:12:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Agreed...selfishly i would love deluxe to give Barbee and Chico brown bomber pro boards! But thats never gonna happen!

Interesting to research, and I found this article with some of the boards, especially the dimensions on the boards listed too:

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/2019/02/19/chocolate-chico-brenes-directional-decks/

And this interview which is cool to read:

https://www.paradeworld.com/uk/news/chico-brenes-talks-instagram-old-school-decks-and-san-francisco/

He might be another one of those guys just waiting for things to happen with his own brand or with someone else but it all takes time, or who knows what else is going on, eg no longer on the Crailtap ride, but might still be getting their wood, or might be blacklisted because of something that happened - who knows and I guess it doesn't really matter.

Krooked guest 9 x 32.3 with 14.0 wheelbase looks like the same dimensions, so could be getting BBS wood from that connection too.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/shop/decks/shaped-decks/krooked-chico-brenes-guest-purple-9-0-skateboard-deck.html

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2765 on: January 12, 2021, 05:06:18 AM »
I’m back:

Tbh, the graphic isn’t exactly wall hanger material and I kept fantasizing about riding it ...

very curious to know how you like it, I have it as the next board up and I can't wait.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2766 on: January 12, 2021, 07:09:16 AM »
I wish Chico would put out his own big boy 9" boards.  Just do runs of 50 a month or something.  They have a pretty dedicated following but they're impossible to find even old stock

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #2767 on: January 12, 2021, 08:46:43 AM »

Sup y’all, the older (I’m turning 30 but my body is 40+ from years of skating, lifting weights, and poor lifestyle choices) and more injured I get the more I’m accepting that if I want to skate I need to embrace learning slappies and flat ground and just cruising. Thinking of building a bigger setup to facilitate this, really liking the 9.25 board above, and it sounds like 159s would go well with it, though correct me if I’m wrong.

Any advice on wheel selection? Honestly I’ve always just ridden 48-52mm’s since my aspiring ledge wizard days and never really paid attention to hardness, but I’m guessing for this setup something in the 55-58 range, and maybe soft but not too soft, would be optimal?

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2768 on: January 12, 2021, 09:23:06 AM »
^^ I’ve attempted this ‘old person’ setup for slappys and flatground many times. I stubbornly then attempt to land flip tricks I used to have 20 years ago on setups that were way smaller/lighter. Chico can do it because he’s amazing.
Not to say the big setups aren’t fun, they totally are, especially for distance with bigger wheels and more board for more standing options.
If you want to do slappys and flatground, try that on your regs setup imo.
Big boards are very fun, not trying to discourage, but they haven’t unlocked any tricks for me.
I’m also way older than you, and too dusty to nollie flip on 55s, wide boards. Slappys are more fun tho

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #2769 on: January 12, 2021, 10:03:16 AM »
^^ I’ve attempted this ‘old person’ setup for slappys and flatground many times. I stubbornly then attempt to land flip tricks I used to have 20 years ago on setups that were way smaller/lighter. Chico can do it because he’s amazing.
Not to say the big setups aren’t fun, they totally are, especially for distance with bigger wheels and more board for more standing options.
Big boards are very fun, not trying to discourage, but they haven’t unlocked any tricks for me.
I’m also way older than you, and too dusty to nollie flip on 55s, wide boards. Slappys are more fun tho
yeah by flat ground I meant doing tricks I’ve already known how to do for 10+ years haha I don’t expect a bigger board to help me learn any new tricks really, should’ve been clearer on that. My regular setup the last 5 years has been 8.5-8.75 anyways

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2770 on: January 12, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah by flat ground I meant doing tricks I’ve already known how to do for 10+ years haha I don’t expect a bigger board to help me learn any new tricks really, should’ve been clearer on that. My regular setup the last 5 years has been 8.5-8.75 anyways

I’m an idiot don’t know why I felt the need to go off on some editorial bullshit.
My understanding is that Simon skates 159s on the couch/loveseat boards. 55 mm wheels work well with 159s. Those wide girl boards are dope.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #2771 on: January 12, 2021, 11:04:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I’m an idiot don’t know why I felt the need to go off on some editorial bullshit.
My understanding is that Simon skates 159s on the couch/loveseat boards. 55 mm wheels work well with 159s. Those wide girl boards are dope.
nah man I definitely appreciate the input, this is a brand new approach to skating for me so the more the merrier far as I’m concerned. I’m thinking I’ll do 159s and some 55s.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2772 on: January 12, 2021, 12:00:59 PM »
Need some pop help. Having a bit hard of a time finding the pop with Ace 55’s. Have 1/8” risers. 54/55mm wheels. How would upping to 60mm wheels change the pop precisely? Think it’s also the super short wb and my height/leg length but also wore worn in 440 and toe felt slick/smooth. Vans pro had a bit more grip feel.

Swapped over to 169 ti 53.5mm height no risers. Looking for a sweet spot for muscle memory. Lower to pop does feel a bit more consistent and can feel how light they are in comparison. But now I’m in gear combo madness and wondering if 169 std would be the best bet
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:23:26 PM by jay_nev »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2773 on: January 12, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »

Sup y’all, the older (I’m turning 30 but my body is 40+ from years of skating, lifting weights, and poor lifestyle choices) and more injured I get the more I’m accepting that if I want to skate I need to embrace learning slappies and flat ground and just cruising. Thinking of building a bigger setup to facilitate this, really liking the 9.25 board above, and it sounds like 159s would go well with it, though correct me if I’m wrong.

Any advice on wheel selection? Honestly I’ve always just ridden 48-52mm’s since my aspiring ledge wizard days and never really paid attention to hardness, but I’m guessing for this setup something in the 55-58 range, and maybe soft but not too soft, would be optimal?
I recently had that shape with 52mm wheels in it as my “tech” board, it’s kinda football shaped so it goes well with smaller wheels imho. I think 54 are a good medium; still get tech but you can also bash into curbs.

sammyz

« Reply #2774 on: January 12, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »
I had the 9” girl deck, and thought thunders worked better than indys...went with the thunder low 149 and 52mm wheels...worked great.

Those girls decks are amazing

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2775 on: January 12, 2021, 08:37:28 PM »
Need some pop help. Having a bit hard of a time finding the pop with Ace 55’s. Have 1/8” risers. 54/55mm wheels. How would upping to 60mm wheels change the pop precisely? Think it’s also the super short wb and my height/leg length but also wore worn in 440 and toe felt slick/smooth. Vans pro had a bit more grip feel.

Swapped over to 169 ti 53.5mm height no risers. Looking for a sweet spot for muscle memory. Lower to pop does feel a bit more consistent and can feel how light they are in comparison. But now I’m in gear combo madness and wondering if 169 std would be the best bet

I haven’t established a baseline of gear to return to, when I stray too far and nothing is working. That being said, you most likely have, sometimes it can be helpful to work backwards, weight or leverage, dimensions....
Before I bought 169 stds I’d swap a cast plate onto your hollow axle. I really like my 159 stds, didn’t like 169 stds, liked 169 hollows. 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Ace are such a sick truck, but I either have all the pop, or none. And most of the setups I’ve had that work with ace, have larger wheels. I wonder what effect there is on wb and leverage as the setup gets taller.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2776 on: January 12, 2021, 08:40:11 PM »
forgot my dane 1 with ventures, riptides, formula 4s, aftermarket bunshings, and swiss 6 on the N train.

over skating and smoking. my heart is in pieces
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #2777 on: January 12, 2021, 09:24:59 PM »
forgot my dane 1 with ventures, riptides, formula 4s, aftermarket bunshings, and swiss 6 on the N train.

over skating and smoking. my heart is in pieces
My heart goes out to you brother, that's fucking terrible.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2778 on: January 13, 2021, 02:07:14 AM »

For the thought of bigger wheels, just put something under your back truck / wheels to the same height, eg if you wanted to feel what 60 mm wheels were when you had 54, put something that is 3mm under the back wheels and then stand up on the tail, as that would be the height with 60mm wheels.  It might be more than you think, ghost pop at first, but you would get used to it.

Taller or different anything is going to be a bit weird at first, but just like a new board, or new shoes, you get used to them soon enough.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2779 on: January 13, 2021, 02:21:32 AM »
So I got one of those Ray Barbee flame decks the other day and I can't decide what trucks to run on it. It's 9 1/4-ish at the front truck and 8.5-ish at the back truck (kind of hard to measure because of the bumps) I'm thinking Indy 159s or 169s. Anybody got one? if so what trucks are you running?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2780 on: January 13, 2021, 02:45:24 AM »
So I got one of those Ray Barbee flame decks the other day and I can't decide what trucks to run on it. It's 9 1/4-ish at the front truck and 8.5-ish at the back truck (kind of hard to measure because of the bumps) I'm thinking Indy 159s or 169s. Anybody got one? if so what trucks are you running?

Most shaped boards that are based on the 80s fish shape will either have massive overhang of the wheels out the back, or feel very unbalanced if you ride narrower trucks, but either of those would work, with the question being do you want a slightly wider more solid ride (169s) or a little less weight and not seeing so much truck (159s) on there?

Do you have either or neither or both?  Sit something across the board for that length of truck to see anyway.

159 = 22.25cm or 8.75" axles
169 = 23.25cm or 9.125" axles

From looking back over this post with a Hosoi of similar proportions with 169s that I helped setup for a guy I know, I think that would be the better option, unless you are putting massive wheels like mini cubics or something on it, or want a super wide ride.

sammyz

« Reply #2781 on: January 13, 2021, 03:08:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Most shaped boards that are based on the 80s fish shape will either have massive overhang of the wheels out the back, or feel very unbalanced if you ride narrower trucks, but either of those would work, with the question being do you want a slightly wider more solid ride (169s) or a little less weight and not seeing so much truck (159s) on there?

Do you have either or neither or both?  Sit something across the board for that length of truck to see anyway.

From looking back over this post with a Hosoi of similar proportions with 169s that I helped setup for a guy I know, I think that would be the better option, unless you are putting massive wheels like mini cubics or something on it, or want a super wide ride.

Damn that Hosoi deck brings back memories. I had a white one when i was about 10/11...back in the 80’s...you still got that deck? Is it a reissue?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2782 on: January 13, 2021, 03:12:44 AM »

Damn that Hosoi deck brings back memories. I had a white one when i was about 10/11...back in the 80’s...you still got that deck? Is it a reissue?

Oddly enough it is still on the wall, stripped off everything (including his stickers) except the rails and no one has really been interested in it.  Compared to any other larger deck with normal concave, this thing is completely flat except the tail, so it is a difficult deck to skate and have fun on.

Yes just a reissue.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #2783 on: January 13, 2021, 03:25:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll go with the 169s then, I was already leaning that way but needed reassurance haha. I've got both sizes on hand I'm just too lazy to take both boards apart right now, the 169 is probably my favorite truck of all time anyway. Thanks for the advice dude!!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #2785 on: January 13, 2021, 04:24:07 AM »
https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/decks/shaped/cowtown/dice-deck-94-pid-56239

Anyone know about this 9.4”? Just DM’d to ask dimensions. There’s also a 9” pop. Wood shop?

https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/decks/standard/cowtown/button-exotic-deck-90-pid-55218

I just asked the same thing in the woodshop thread haha I want that 9" pop bad but I'm curious about the wood/dimensions as well.

EDIT: just saw you replied to me haha I don't have instagram etc. so I can't DM them, Idk why they wouldn't list the dimensions on the website.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2786 on: January 13, 2021, 04:36:43 AM »

I just asked the same thing in the woodshop thread haha I want that 9" pop bad but I'm curious about the wood/dimensions as well.

EDIT: just saw you replied to me haha I don't have instagram etc. so I can't DM them, Idk why they wouldn't list the dimensions on the website.
i asked for dimensions on IG, let you know if they reply

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2787 on: January 15, 2021, 09:30:13 AM »
BA's AH shape is back.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2788 on: January 15, 2021, 10:40:06 AM »
anyone know where to snag a dane 1 online? had no luck finding a replacement at my local and google is only giving me the "sold out options"
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2789 on: January 15, 2021, 10:50:13 AM »
anyone know where to snag a dane 1 online? had no luck finding a replacement at my local and google is only giving me the "sold out options"

Only the oldest skate shop on the planet....
https://www.calsk8.com/shop-skateboards/p/dane-brady-bistro-dane-1-shape-975-deck-by-polar-skateboards